PDA

View Full Version : so, just got me a xr650L

Spanky
06-20-2015, 07:15 AM
I'm not a dirt bike guy, but I just bought me a xr650L. It's to be used for transport when i'm at the RV park and for plain just fooling around. I am amazed how friggin high in the air this thing is. How the hell do you lower it? it has an extended link in the suspension but damn! I must be shorter and fatter than I thought.

jm21ddd15
06-20-2015, 07:27 AM
I have the 250 version of that bike. They are all built high. Stop at your local dealer and check out the full moto-crossers, or adventure bikes. I would say that when you sit on the bike , the suspension does drop a bit. But when riding off road, you'll be standing on the pegs much of the time. I have a 32"inseam, and am on my tip-toes at stop signs. Not a big deal for me. The bike is a blast! :yes: Have fun with yours!:icon_biggrin:

Madmax
06-20-2015, 08:12 AM
I had one they are a sturdy machine , a lot of guys complain about the hight , most switch over to the DR650 and I have owned both and prefer the the DR over the XR . There both great bikes bikes but as you said the XR is a bit taller .
I also owned a WR250r and that was a awesome machine , still tall but the fuel injection and 28k valve adjustment has a great power plant .
Good luck with your machine .

Spanky
06-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Methinks the seller was a tad bit naive. Bike had no power and a few other issues, slipping clutch and the like. Took her home and played around. First of all, Take it from me. DO NOT TAKE THE PLATES OFF A WING AND PUT IT ON THE NEW XR650.... 14779

He was a rider and we chatted a bit, he let me go with a you dumbass....

so i tightened the sparkplug which was really loose, and adjusted the clutch. this is a solid bike. sorry, I can't rotate your monitor like im rotating mine :-)

jm21ddd15
06-20-2015, 04:42 PM
On and off rain here, this afternoon. So, I left the B in the garage and took the CRF250L out for about 1 1/2 hrs. Trying to break in some new Fox off road boots. Had a blast, half road and half trails. At least I didn't fall over this time! Ha! :icon_mrgreen:

BIGLRY
06-20-2015, 07:34 PM
First of all, Take it from me. DO NOT TAKE THE PLATES OFF A WING AND PUT IT ON THE NEW XR650.... 14779

He was a rider and we chatted a bit, he let me go with a you dumbass....

:-)You got lucky, the time I tried that and got caught he impounded the bike and I had to walk 5 miles to a pay phone to call a ride(didn't have cell phones in them days). Then I had to go to DMV and pay the plate fees, then to the impound yard and pay the fees to get my bike back. Then a week or so later when the usps delivered a letter from the county court system......yep you guessed it.... I PAIED THE FEES AGAIN.
As a young man I learned a valuable lessen that day that has done me well the rest of my life......never get caught!
Oh, and never use a cage plate on a scooter.:icon_doh:

Steve 0080
06-20-2015, 08:00 PM
Tag not assigned.... go to jail here in FLA....

BIGLRY
06-20-2015, 08:20 PM
Tag not assigned.... go to jail here in FLA....
Impound vehicle and all contents here on the left coast then pay fees + penalties to DMV, Pay the tow truck fees, pay the impound yard fees, $30 to $50 each day they have it, then pay the court system for the ticket you going to get, that is just for the vehicle with the wrong tag. If they find out and they will know that the tag or plate was stolen then a whole new set of penalties kick in including possible time in the grey bar hotel.

It has gotten so bad in Calif. that if you run a red light or do a Calif. stop (don't touch a foot down at the sign) it will cost you a min of $490 with all the penalties they add on. Hell, illegally park and it is $270 for the tow and $90 for the ticket with the $30 to $50 each day they have it.:yikes:

jm21ddd15
06-20-2015, 08:47 PM
Impound vehicle and all contents here on the left coast then pay fees + penalties to DMV, Pay the tow truck fees, pay the impound yard fees, $30 to $50 each day they have it, then pay the court system for the ticket you going to get, that is just for the vehicle with the wrong tag. If they find out and they will know that the tag or plate was stolen then a whole new set of penalties kick in including possible time in the grey bar hotel.

It has gotten so bad in Calif. that if you run a red light or do a Calif. stop (don't touch a foot down at the sign) it will cost you a min of $490 with all the penalties they add on. Hell, illegally park and it is $270 for the tow and $90 for the ticket with the $30 to $50 each day they have it.:yikes:

:yikes: Sounds like more good reasons for me not to ever move to California. However, I do want to ride up that famous coast line road, before my finale tip-over.

Spanky
06-21-2015, 08:24 AM
The cop was a nice guy, and laughed when I called myself a dumbass. These guys are doing a hard job and don't get any credit for what they do. Most of the time they are considered the enemy.

It was my dumbass thing that caused the issue, not his. But all in all it worked out. I was prepared for paying for my actions if it came to that. I have always been told, "you can do anything you want, provided you can pay the consequences"

But a black cop pulled over a white biker, both armed, and no one got shot, everyone was respected, no one died, and it was peacefully handled.

Not sure how society went south, but it's not all too bad.

Happy fathers day to all you daddys!

hiflyer
06-21-2015, 08:43 AM
It was my dumbass thing that caused the issue, not his. But all in all it worked out. I was prepared for paying for my actions if it came to that. I have always been told, "you can do anything you want, provided you can pay the consequences"

What did you do to get pulled over? Wheelie? Stoppie?

Spanky
06-21-2015, 09:35 AM
What did you do to get pulled over? Wheelie? Stoppie?

no , zip tied the "false" plate to the fender kinda sideways and haphazardly. plus, kinda pulled out in front of him. It did not help, I was wearing a M/C vest and half helmet.

I could imagine he was thinking no self respecting biker would be playing around on a big red dirtbike, unless he just stole it! :-)

hiflyer
06-21-2015, 04:18 PM
no , zip tied the "false" plate to the fender kinda sideways and haphazardly. plus, kinda pulled out in front of him. It did not help, I was wearing a M/C vest and half helmet.

I could imagine he was thinking no self respecting biker would be playing around on a big red dirtbike, unless he just stole it! :-)

I would have stopped you too!:icon_lol: