PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Rivco Aero Pegs?

GiddyupF6B
07-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Anyone with the Aero pegs installed that is 6'3 (32 inch inseam) or taller? I just ordered these and am a bit concerned that I might feel a little cramped in the peg mounting position furthest away from the rider. I put my feet up to where they will be mounted and it felt a little high and not forward enough. Anyone??

On a side note......John from Rivco has been a pleasure to deal with so far. He has addressed my questions and even went as far as to contact someone with these installed and is sending me some pics of himself (he is the same height as me) with his feet on the pegs. That's customer service! I hope to have the pics later on today......

Steve 0080
07-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Buy them, install them......if they don't fit ....send them back.....if they fit.....love them........ You could always have a operation to make you normal.......just sayin :icon_biggrin:

GiddyupF6B
07-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Buy them, install them......if they don't fit ....send them back.....if they fit.....love them........ You could always have a operation to make you normal.......just sayin :icon_biggrin:

Lol....normal??? Thanks a lot! :icon_mrgreen: That's the plan, I checked with John already and he said if I didn't like em I could return em! They are on the way.

thunder217
07-30-2013, 02:55 PM
As promissed Revco is Great, they promissed me them before 8/1 and they came. They are fabulous. Got them on last night and took my first ride down the beltway and wouldn't you know it felt so good missed my exit. LOL I will need to adjust this evening for just a little more comfort. I have them positioned all the way to the front now and I think they would be more comfortable just maybe one set of notches back. The side of the engine rubs on my ankle in the front forward position. I will experiment this evening. They look good and feel great. :clap2::beer3:

Phantom
07-30-2013, 05:59 PM
As promissed Revco is Great, they promissed me them before 8/1 and they came. They are fabulous. Got them on last night and took my first ride down the beltway and wouldn't you know it felt so good missed my exit. LOL I will need to adjust this evening for just a little more comfort. I have them positioned all the way to the front now and I think they would be more comfortable just maybe one set of notches back. The side of the engine rubs on my ankle in the front forward position. I will experiment this evening. They look good and feel great. :clap2::beer3:

Solution …. take a 4 inch grinder to your ankles, grind off an inch on inside of both ankles……………. no more rubbing :duck: :spank: :icon_razz:

imported_scottydi
07-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Received them Friday 7/26 and installed them that night. Rode Saturday with them in the closest position, knee angle was all wrong. Moved them forward one position and rode 200 miles Sunday, they were better but not perfect. Moved them to the forward most postion, rode to work the past two days, they will be staying in this position. I am 6'1" with a 32 inch inseam.

Scott

F6B-RICH
07-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Got mine Monday and installed Monday.Went for a ride tonight and tried them out very good for me.I am 6' 2" with 34 inseam no problems at all.

Darkknight
07-31-2013, 04:42 AM
Did any of you guys notice a purple tint to the coating? It didn't quite match the black on the engine.
Or was my set just a fluke?

thunder217
07-31-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm 5'11 and with the bars all the way forward felt good but my ankle rubbed on the side of the engine. I moved them back to the nearest position and my ankles don't touch anymore and the ride is still comfortable. I love them. Going on long trip this weekend and will make my overall determination. :icon_razz:

As far as the color mine look great. The paint job is a good match.

imported_scottydi
07-31-2013, 09:41 AM
Mine also have a different tint than the black on the bike. Close enough for me though.

Scott

dgman2
10-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Did any of you guys notice a purple tint to the coating? It didn't quite match the black on the engine.

I noticed that and it would be an additional reason for me to go with chrome if I bought a pair.

Hornblower
10-25-2013, 07:40 AM

No fluke, I'm afraid. There has been quite a bit of discussion on this already. Apparently, I'm not all that picky because the slight purple hue doesn't bother me at all. What has bothered me is opening them with my shoes. I found that challenging so I'm experimenting with some black rubber tips that are stuck on the bottom, outside end of the pegs. So far, so good, but I may attach something more permanently similar to what Steve 0080 did. Overall, the Aero's are great IMHO.

Steve 0080
10-25-2013, 08:31 AM
The set I bought do seem to match ...my problem is even when I have them set to the rear I am still straight legged.....no good. I did drill and tap a nut to be able to " grab " the extension with and this works great !!!

I have mine for sale in the classifieds section....I'm thinking $250 + $12 for shipping......

GiddyupF6B
10-25-2013, 08:56 AM
I recently had a replacement peg and mount sent out to replace my left peg. The replacement was a lot less black then my original pair and looked even more purple. Seems to be an inconsistent finishing process? They should all be the same color I would think? Looks like different batches have different tints to them. I will be getting mine powder coated over the winter for a better match.

XKnight
08-16-2014, 07:36 PM
I installed the Rivco pegs today. They are a quality piece and much better than the chincy plastic chrome cover they replaced. The black anodized coloring seems fine to me, but I haven't looked at it in direct sunlight yet. Even if they are a sightly different shade of black it's still fine with me. I have no problem opening them with my boots and it seems they will work well for my 30" inseam and allow me to stretch my legs out on the highway as needed. About to take a test ride with them now.

shooter
08-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Giddy I'm 6'1" and I have mine in the middle position and they fit perfect. 31" inseam. I like them. Low profile and nice looking. I have the chrome ones.

MinnetonkaMike
08-17-2014, 06:16 PM
I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I think the pegs are a quality piece however the placement puts them up a little higher than I would like for most cruising. Its a nice option for changing your footing but based on other reviews I'm assuming that I would be better suited with some Kury Ergos since they are lower on the engine guard.

Exbmwrider
08-17-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm 6-3 and long of leg. I love my Rivco pegs...haven't used them on a long trip, but will next week during my 2500 mile trip to Franklin. I like them because they offer a secondary riding position, and look very good on the bike. I only use them for short periods when I get tired on the stock pegs.

IBREWBEER
08-19-2014, 07:42 PM
Buy them. Nothing else better out there IMO. The purpleish color will not bother you

Stick
08-20-2014, 08:37 PM
I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I think the pegs are a quality piece however the placement puts them up a little higher than I would like for most cruising. Its a nice option for changing your footing but based on other reviews I'm assuming that I would be better suited with some Kury Ergos since they are lower on the engine guard.

Yep, Ergos sit lower on the engine guard which is exactly why I went with them. Not as low as Mic-o-pegs, but low enough for a comfortable stretch. EZ to flip up and down and look great. Very happy with em.
Look forward to seeing many of you in Franklin (wherever that is)
Stick

Cool Hand Luke
08-20-2014, 11:01 PM
I like them, they get plenty of interested stares from other riders. I'm 6' 32" inseam and I like them in forward most position. They will not scrape or touch down in turns.

I even rode thru the Dragon with them on:

They definitely have purpluish hiew in direct sunlight but not a deal breaker in my opinion. They are one of my favorite mods!

GNW
08-21-2014, 07:19 AM
I love'em !!
I am five eleven and set them in the center.
Beautiful they are and worth the money in my opinion.

Hornblower
08-21-2014, 07:25 AM
I'm happy with mine too :yes:! At 5'9" (used to be 5'10" :icon_rolleyes:), the most rearward position is perfect!

luckyluciano
08-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Thinking of ordering these soon. Are they easy to open and close while riding? They look like they would be very difficult to open while riding. What are the owners experiences?

F6B-RICH
08-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Thinking of ordering these soon. Are they easy to open and close while riding? They look like they would be very difficult to open while riding. What are the owners experiences?

Just reach down at a light or at home and open them up before you ride.I was just using them on the highway but find I am using them on the back roads also.So now I just leave them open all the time .batman-smilie.

Hornblower
08-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Reportedly, some have no issue with this but then again, some do. Honestly, I found it difficult to catch and open them with the top of my boot. The fix is as simple as drilling and tapping the ends and installing something like this:

What you're seeing is a socket head cap screw. Ideally, a bottom tap tool will work best to make the threads. It doesn't take much at all to provide an adequate grip for your boot. And, BTW, the Aero's do have a purple hue but not nearly as much as my camera made it appear.

Dmoon64
08-21-2014, 09:52 AM
I don't know why, but I was under the impression the sprung closed when you weren't using them. How would you close them if you wanted them closed while riding?

F6B-RICH
08-21-2014, 10:05 AM
I don't know why, but I was under the impression the sprung closed when you weren't using them. How would you close them if you wanted them closed while riding?

Closing them is easier.Just push them closed with your foot .batman-smilie.

CoCoKola
08-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Yep, Ergos sit lower on the engine guard which is exactly why I went with them. Not as low as Mic-o-pegs, but low enough for a comfortable stretch. EZ to flip up and down and look great. Very happy with em.
Look forward to seeing many of you in Franklin (wherever that is)
Stick

I have been struggling to find the right parts for the Ergos, and stuggling with the difference between the II and III versions. Any help appreciated..

*also* worried about these getting super hot in the summer.. Boots required I take it ;)

Hornblower
08-21-2014, 11:15 AM

Your impression is incorrect...no closing spring involved with the Aero pegs. The only spring, in this design, is located under a plastic ball which operates as part of a detent system that simply holds the pegs in an open or closed position.

XKnight
08-21-2014, 02:34 PM

They close manually with your foot or other dangling body part.

luckyluciano
08-21-2014, 04:12 PM
I like them, they get plenty of interested stares from other riders. I'm 6' 32" inseam and I like them in forward most position. They will not scrape or touch down in turns.

I even rode thru the Dragon with them on:

They definitely have purpluish hiew in direct sunlight but not a deal breaker in my opinion. They are one of my favorite mods!

Hey cool hand,

Thanks for the great pics. So , do you wish they were lower? Your legs look high up there in the pics. I'm 6' , 34" inseam.

Cool Hand Luke
08-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Hey cool hand,

Thanks for the great pics. So , do you wish they were lower? Your legs look high up there in the pics. I'm 6' , 34" inseam.

They do seem a bit high, don't they? They are comfortable. On my '07 GW I had different forward pegs mounted lower and they were great, but they also scraped in even light turns. I had to remember to fold them up. These don't touch down at all.

I guess I got used to these just fine. Sometimes I ride for a long time with my feet on them. It may be the combination of foot pegs and Mustang seat that works for me.

You know, one can also get both sets of forward pegs, these and engine protector bar- mounted ones. That way one can have two positions for feet.

What I like about these is the stealth factor. I can easily open and close them while riding, no problem. These look like the bike came with them on stock.

I just remembered the other forward pegs I had on GW made me touch the hot engine with my legs sometimes. With these I can't touch the hot engine at all, probably due to being higher up.

XKnight
08-21-2014, 07:33 PM

I installed the Rivco pegs this week and got a chance to ride with them for about an hour. I have no problem opening and closing these with my boots while riding. I know others have mentioned that they can't seem to do it, but it seems easy for me. There is an adjustment for tension and maybe the other folks have the tension too tight. Also, these are high enough on the bike that you could just leave them open all the time on regular rides. It would be pretty hard to scrape these on normal turns. These pegs work great for stretching out your legs and I find them extremely comfortable. I was initially put off by the high price, but they are truly a quality product and look like they came on the bike from the factory. Love the stealth look and the functionality. One of the best accessories I've added so far.

FF-Ed
09-29-2014, 08:41 PM
I was concerned when I bought these that I'd have to remove some critical engine part to install these.

Not Even! it was super easy and took me 30 minutes. 2 allen wrenches, 1 large flat screwdriver & a old t-shirt to cover the tip of the screwdriver...

I'm 6'2", 32" inseam and I mounted these in the full forward position. They are great, I can put my foot either on the peg or rest the back of my heel on the peg and "Air out my Junk" ,:icon_wink: absolutely wonderful!

Apparently, the color problem has been corrected as mine are "black" not purple (or so I thought but I cant tell the difference between blue and black socks, So?)

I also thought that the position looked high, but my former ride, a Suzuki Boulevard had highway pegs and I had them about the same height off the ground..

I can also open these with my boot, or by reaching down and grabbing them by hand, tried it yesterday while cruising down US23. No Problem...

I recommend this product !