PDA

View Full Version : A Fool and his Money

seadog
06-21-2015, 06:46 AM
Oh Well! Being an Old School guy with a lack of knowledge on all this high tech stuff has its disadvantages. As it turned out I spent more than I needed to on putting my own tunes on the 6 but that was just pure ignorance to the capabilities that this music system on the 6 is able to achieve. I bought the Sony NWZ-385 with a power-cord package and finally got my home PC figured out to sync some music to it. I put 20 CD's on it last night and took it out and plugged it into the USB in the left pod. OMG unbelievable music came out of the speakers with engine running. The Sony is very small at 3 and 1/2 inches long, 1 and 3/4 inches wide and just a tad over 3/8 inch thick in its protective case that came with the cord package. The package contained the hookup for the USB port so I definitely need it.
Loading the Sony is a little time consuming but the results were worth it. I can play individual albums or just set it for a mixed of every tune I loaded in and with 20 CD 275 song and just a little over 1 GB used on a over 14 GB system I don't think I need anything else. I also can take it with me as it has a 30 hour battery in it and plug in the headset so its versatile. You can do this cheaper, no doubt but at least I am happy with the outcome of the money I spent. All's well that ends well. But boy I sure have to beat myself up getting this hi tech stuff to work.

wjduke
06-21-2015, 07:40 AM
Sounds familiar to me Kevin....at least you had a good outcome and are happy. It wasn't a waste in the end.

53driver
06-21-2015, 08:46 AM
Oh Well! Being an Old School guy with a lack of knowledge on all this high tech stuff has its disadvantages. As it turned out I spent more than I needed to on putting my own tunes on the 6 but that was just pure ignorance to the capabilities that this music system on the 6 is able to achieve. I bought the Sony NWZ-385 with a power-cord package and finally got my home PC figured out to sync some music to it. I put 20 CD's on it last night and took it out and plugged it into the USB in the left pod. OMG unbelievable music came out of the speakers with engine running. The Sony is very small at 3 and 1/2 inches long, 1 and 3/4 inches wide and just a tad over 3/8 inch thick in its protective case that came with the cord package. The package contained the hookup for the USB port so I definitely need it.
Loading the Sony is a little time consuming but the results were worth it. I can play individual albums or just set it for a mixed of every tune I loaded in and with 20 CD 275 song and just a little over 1 GB used on a over 14 GB system I don't think I need anything else. I also can take it with me as it has a 30 hour battery in it and plug in the headset so its versatile. You can do this cheaper, no doubt but at least I am happy with the outcome of the money I spent. All's well that ends well. But boy I sure have to beat myself up getting this hi tech stuff to work.

As long as you can make it work over time and are happy with it? It's money well spent.
Do not beat yourself up about technology - it's merely yet another tool in the toolbox.
Find what works for you and use it.

seadog
06-21-2015, 02:44 PM
But that's good, 493 tunes on the mp3 Sony, 40 CD's and only 2.4 GB used out of 14.4 GB and I am really impressed with the tone quality coming out of this Sony though the Panasonic unit. Very rich tone and very full bodied music. Never thought that the little bitty Sony would produce such nice sounds. I have put everything on it as I have a very wide range of music I like. So I was scanning all the different tunes to see if one was better than the others but they are all just very nice tone quality. I am not so sad about the price I paid anymore.:clap2::clap2:

bobbyf6b
06-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Am I missing something? I looked up the unit you posted and it's like what, about $50? No money wasted there.

seadog
06-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Am I missing something? I looked up the unit you posted and it's like what, about $50? No money wasted there.

Compared to the thumb drive that holds 27000 songs for $15 bucks yeah the Sony is pricey but I have the one that is more expensive as it has a 30 hour battery and I paid $78 dollars for it. But its working so I am a happy camper and astounded at the quality of music coming out of the speakers on my unit..... So no harm no foul.

bobbyf6b
06-21-2015, 06:26 PM
Compared to the thumb drive that holds 27000 songs for $15 bucks yeah the Sony is pricey but I have the one that is more expensive as it has a 30 hour battery and I paid $78 dollars for it. But its working so I am a happy camper and astounded at the quality of music coming out of the speakers on my unit..... So no harm no foul.

Oh, ok. Compared to an iPod you came out ahead.

stevenolts
06-21-2015, 06:58 PM
Why do you need anything but the USB stick?

junkyarddog
06-21-2015, 09:18 PM
I still can't get mine to work right. I've tried making 8 folders w/ 99 songs in each. No luck. I've tried 255 songs in 1 folder. It will get to song 143 or 144 and not play anymore. I've tried a 16 GB, a 4 GB and an 8GB. It's the same story always. I have to start at #1 again. The only thing it plays after 144 is a little 3 second tune that I can't even describe. Has anyone EVER had this problem yet? Is there a software update available that I'm not aware of? Thanks ya'll.:banghead:

F6B1911
06-21-2015, 09:24 PM
I still can't get mine to work right. I've tried making 8 folders w/ 99 songs in each. No luck. I've tried 255 songs in 1 folder. It will get to song 143 or 144 and not play anymore. I've tried a 16 GB, a 4 GB and an 8GB. It's the same story always. I have to start at #1 again. The only thing it plays after 144 is a little 3 second tune that I can't even describe. Has anyone EVER had this problem yet? Is there a software update available that I'm not aware of? Thanks ya'll.:banghead:

Is all of the music the same format?
My first few attempts didn't work, played around with it for a while, found that if all of the music is in the same format, things worked fine.
I used this link for a reference: http://wingstuff.k7tty.com/index.htm

junkyarddog
06-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Everything is in MP3 format. I'm using a 64 bit windows OS. Would that make a difference?

junkyarddog
06-21-2015, 09:39 PM
Just looking at the hard drive format, it's NTFS. Would that matter?

F6B1911
06-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Just looking at the hard drive format, it's NTFS. Would that matter?

Here's the supported formats:

FAT 12, 16, 32, MP3, WMA,
iPodŽ

junkyarddog
06-21-2015, 09:56 PM
Looking at the format properties on the USB, it's in FAT32 and MP3. That tells me it should work. Wonder if it would help changing the format to WMA.

F6B1911
06-21-2015, 10:03 PM
MP3's are fine.
Do you have any non-standard naming conventions?
Do you have any non-standard meta-data in the MP3's?

junkyarddog
06-21-2015, 10:06 PM
I guess I'm a bit ignorant of those terms. It plays in either of the cars just fine. The bike is the only problem playing it.

srt8-in-largo
06-21-2015, 10:23 PM
You know Seadog... that battery life is gonna bug you before too long.

I'd just bite the bullet and get a USB stick... no battery... just attach it and forget about it for 10 or 20 years.

53driver
06-21-2015, 11:05 PM
Everything is in MP3 format. I'm using a 64 bit windows OS. Would that make a difference?

Looking at the format properties on the USB, it's in FAT32 and MP3. That tells me it should work. Wonder if it would help changing the format to WMA.

MP3 - check.

NTFS on the hard drive? Fine. As long as it's not on the thumb drive. Win64 will default format to that specification

FAT32 - good to go.

I would reformat the thumb drive to FAT, not even FAT32 if you can.
Then recopy the music and see how that plays out - no pun intended....
Best of luck!

valkmc
06-22-2015, 05:44 AM

I'd just bite the bullet and get a USB stick... no battery... just attach it and forget about it for 10 or 20 years.
Why will battery life be a problem? Doesn't the device charge while the bike is running? I use an IPOD becuse I raised 3 boys so there were a couple of old ones still here no one was using. I have 255 songs on it and it stays in the bike. I never remove it and it is always fully charged.

Fla_rider
06-22-2015, 05:52 AM

George - What makes you think his Sony player isn't getting charged like my Ipod? The cable in the left Saddlebag charges too!

Valk is right, my ipod never comes out of the left saddlebag. Been there for almost 1.25 years. Locked-up maybe 3 times.

seadog
06-22-2015, 06:46 AM

I don't think I will have a problem on the bike as the Sony is power by the bike when plugged into the USB port in the pod, the only time I will use the battery is if I take it out of the pod and plug in the headphones. Shouldn't give me too much grief I am hoping. Just added up some more songs I am at 611 and the wife just found more cd's I had forgotten about. I have to burn some more GB's up today while its raining. I have no doubt this could have been done cheaper with the USB stick but I have the unit and the sound quality is awesome so I might as well get on with it so too speak. It just dawned on me that the bike music sounds as good and the 600 hundred dollar Altec Lansing system I have on my computer. This computer system turns out some tunes, I can't wait to get the 6 out on the road with the Sony playing the tunes I have loaded.

junkyarddog
06-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Thanks 53. I'lll give that a try.

seadog
06-23-2015, 10:49 AM
I don't think I will have a problem on the bike as the Sony is power by the bike when plugged into the USB port in the pod, the only time I will use the battery is if I take it out of the pod and plug in the headphones. Shouldn't give me too much grief I am hoping. Just added up some more songs I am at 611 and the wife just found more cd's I had forgotten about. I have to burn some more GB's up today while its raining. I have no doubt this could have been done cheaper with the USB stick but I have the unit and the sound quality is awesome so I might as well get on with it so too speak. It just dawned on me that the bike music sounds as good and the 600 hundred dollar Altec Lansing system I have on my computer. This computer system turns out some tunes, I can't wait to get the 6 out on the road with the Sony playing the tunes I have loaded.

I just counted up how many albums I have on this, I am over 600 songs and 51 CD's on this thing and I am not even close to filling this up, I still have 12 GB left and if I ever get it filled I could ride the entire country and not hear the last song.... its getting better all the time, but I fear I will run out of CD's before I ever get this close to being full.

F6B1911
06-23-2015, 12:17 PM
..... but I fear I will run out of CD's before I ever get this close to being full.

Make sure you spend more time riding your F6B than you do working on the music files!

seadog
06-23-2015, 08:23 PM
man cannot live on engine whine alone, one must have tunes to enlighten and enjoy the day, bring harmony to the landscape and all that other garbage.
I will admit I have a very wide scope on music. Most would look at what I have loaded and scratch their head trying to figure out what it is I like. From Jimi Hendrix to Frank Sinatra, Alan Jackson to Uriah Heep, the Chambers Brothers to the Kingston Trio, Shania Twain to Sarah Maclachlan, George Stait to Leon Russell. I have covered a lot of ground over my 66 years, 2.3 million miles behind the wheel of a semi tractor trailer, I guess I have come far, seem like far! I can settle in and listen to Pete Fountain, Tennesee Ernie Ford or a good dose of Metallica, or Nirvana, music is music and I will listen to most anyone with an ounce of talent.

F6B1911
06-23-2015, 08:39 PM
man cannot live on engine whine alone, one must have tunes to enlighten and enjoy the day, bring harmony to the landscape and all that other garbage.
I will admit I have a very wide scope on music. Most would look at what I have loaded and scratch their head trying to figure out what it is I like. From Jimi Hendrix to Frank Sinatra, Alan Jackson to Uriah Heep, the Chambers Brothers to the Kingston Trio, Shania Twain to Sarah Maclachlan, George Stait to Leon Russell. I have covered a lot of ground over my 66 years, 2.3 million miles behind the wheel of a semi tractor trailer, I guess I have come far, seem like far! I can settle in and listen to Pete Fountain, Tennesee Ernie Ford or a good dose of Metallica, or Nirvana, music is music and I will listen to most anyone with an ounce of talent.

What? No Beethoven, no Bach, I have one thumb drive with classical music, perfect for an early morning solo run.