PDA

View Full Version : Our front tire on tar patches in the heat

GiddyupF6B
06-21-2015, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure how I didn't notice this last year in the heat but our stock front tire is unsettling on the tar patches! I was in a round about with a good amount of patchwork and I thought several times I was going over. The front tire felt like it was going to wash out from under me first right then left. I intentionally hit a few of them in a forward straight up direction and the same thing happened, it literally felt like I was going to go down. Front tire pressure at 41psi checked before I left, girlfriend on the back, 10,000 miles on the tire. I'm not sure at this point what the outcome for me will be, I've never experienced this with any tire on any bike before. I think I will go out solo on the same road and ride it a few times back and forth and carefully watch what's happening. I'm sure it's more of a feeling of going down than the bike physically actually doing it but it's something I'm not used too and scared the doo doo out me. Anyone else experience this? It's 90+ here with high humidity so that tar is soft as butter.

shooter
06-21-2015, 03:52 PM
I had it with the stock stone and I had last weekend with a Metz 888. I think if the tar is plentiful enough you will have it with any tire.

GiddyupF6B
06-21-2015, 04:18 PM
I had it with the stock stone and as if kadt weekend I have it with a Metz 888. I think if the tar is plentiful enough you will have it with any tire.

I'm guessing since the front tire on my 109 was a 160 I didn't notice it for the 5 years prior to the B.

Spanky
06-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Road snakes and 100 degree heat. not a good combination. imagine riding on this road! https://www.google.com/maps/place/Monticello+Rd,+Shawnee,+KS/@39.0237949,-94.8395058,50m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x87c09124b5afa1bf:0x94e31 1868f20d2ab?hl=en

bobbyf6b
06-21-2015, 04:59 PM
I've noticed it on every bike I've ever owned, but I live in southern Arizona where triple digits are normal.

seadog
06-21-2015, 05:14 PM
I'm guessing since the front tire on my 109 was a 160 I didn't notice it for the 5 years prior to the B.

Stock tire on the M109R was a 130/70/18 just the same size as the front tire on the 6 only difference was the nine had Dunlops not stones.
I ran the 130 Dunnies for 7 seasons and never had one fail to grip, but like the man said, don't trust any tire on hot asphalt. That is a big error in judgment!!!

GiddyupF6B
06-21-2015, 05:57 PM
Stock tire on the M109R was a 130/70/18 just the same size as the front tire on the 6 only difference was the nine had Dunlops not stones.
I ran the 130 Dunnies for 7 seasons and never had one fail to grip, but like the man said, don't trust any tire on hot asphalt. That is a big error in judgment!!!

The front tire on my 109 was a 160, it didn't do this at all.

tinknocker
06-21-2015, 06:06 PM
Tar snakes are always a concern of mine when the heat gets up there around 90+....I am always mindful of the snakes while riding..

shooter
06-21-2015, 06:11 PM
I was in North West Arkansas last weekend and hit a stretch of pavement where the tar snake area exceeded the pavement area for about 5 miles. Honestly for the man hours it took to patch this road Arkansas could have laid a new road. The B did OK but I could feel it. It was 98 degrees that day which didn't help any. My 109 with the 160 front does better on the snakes.

shooter
06-21-2015, 06:14 PM

Yeah when all I had was the 9 I used to wonder what all the fuss was about. That Metz 160 up front was rock solid in the snakes.

bobbyf6b
06-21-2015, 06:24 PM

Which 109 did you have?

opas ride
06-21-2015, 06:43 PM
I'm not sure how I didn't notice this last year in the heat but our stock front tire is unsettling on the tar patches! I was in a round about with a good amount of patchwork and I thought several times I was going over. The front tire felt like it was going to wash out from under me first right then left. I intentionally hit a few of them in a forward straight up direction and the same thing happened, it literally felt like I was going to go down. Front tire pressure at 41psi checked before I left, girlfriend on the back, 10,000 miles on the tire. I'm not sure at this point what the outcome for me will be, I've never experienced this with any tire on any bike before. I think I will go out solo on the same road and ride it a few times back and forth and carefully watch what's happening. I'm sure it's more of a feeling of going down than the bike physically actually doing it but it's something I'm not used too and scared the doo doo out me. Anyone else experience this? It's 90+ here with high humidity so that tar is soft as butter.

I have been riding motorcycles for over 50 years on and off and never had this issue until this last month when it was very hot and humid outside here in Michigan..As said above it scared the "hell" out of me for a while on the road I was on, which was full of "tar snakes", until I turned off and it went away...Thought for sure I was going down and the front end had come apart or something very serious...Came right home, checked the tire pressure (40) and then gave the front end a good inspection....After reading this thread, and others like it, I realized it came from the type of tire on the F6B. Others have said it comes from the big rain groove down the center of the OEM tire on the front....Now that I know this info I will make a point to avoid roads with a large number of these patches on it....although it will be a challenge as Michigan roads "suck"....Ride safe....

GiddyupF6B
06-21-2015, 07:00 PM
Yeah when all I had was the 9 I used to wonder what all the fuss was about. That Metz 160 up front was rock solid in the snakes.
The 160 was awesome in the twisties! It absorbed bumps much better, handled better in the rain, gave a much more comfortable and secure ride, and looked incredible while doing it. All pros no cons for me.

Which 109 did you have?
I had an 07 109. I put a 10 inch rim on the back and ran a 280, I had a 160 on a 4 inch rim up front. I had $3,000 in Coastal Moto rims on that bike, pricey but they looked great. Since you asked.....:icon_mrgreen:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/bigdaddylachance/Blazeslammed.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/bigdaddylachance/blazewrearseat.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/bigdaddylachance/IMAG0284.jpg

Texas TC
06-21-2015, 08:17 PM
Like others have mentioned, I have experienced issues with every motorcycle and various brands of tires I have owned. Texas is hot and humid in summer months and tar snakes definitely get your attention.:shock:

bob109
06-21-2015, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=GiddyupF6B;85327]The 160 was awesome in the twisties! It absorbed bumps much better, handled better in the rain, gave a much more comfortable and secure ride, and looked incredible while doing it. All pros no cons for me.

I had an 07 109. I put a 10 inch rim on the back and ran a 280, I had a 160 on a 4 inch rim up front. I had $3,000 in Coastal Moto rims on that bike, pricey but they looked great. Since you asked.....:icon_mrgreen:

How many clutch cables did you break:shock: Had a 06 with a 250 on the stock rim. A great bike but it was hell on clutch cables. Went through 3 while I had the bike:shock: Decided to trade it after several owners cracked the driveshaft tube:yikes:

bobbyf6b
06-21-2015, 11:50 PM
The 160 was awesome in the twisties! It absorbed bumps much better, handled better in the rain, gave a much more comfortable and secure ride, and looked incredible while doing it. All pros no cons for me.

Very nice. That's why I asked. :yes:

motoman
06-23-2015, 06:17 PM
Here in Portland, they use a rubber mat between the railroad tracks to give the cars and bicycles a softer surface and allow them to drive over the tracks. I went over this in a slight lean in the rain, and I got a pretty scary 'wiggle' and was sure I was gonna dump it, but I lucked out. That was a new one for me... :shock:

edgeman55
06-23-2015, 07:33 PM
My front 709 did not start slippen on the tar snakes until it had about 10K on it and was close to the wear bars.Always ran 40lbs in it.Now I have the new Metz 888's on my bike and they so far with about 1000 miles on them are not doing it and they really feel planted on the road.These have a much different tread design on them then the Bridgestones.

Cleaver1
06-23-2015, 08:10 PM
A friend of mine who is retired from the Michigan Department of Transportation was watching them put down the crack fill and couldn't believe the way they were doing it.
He said when they made the repair they squeegeed the access tar off after filling crack area. I have seen and run over some that the tar was about 1 inch higher than the road way.
It does give you the pucker factor. Now when riding alone I try to run over some of them, just to try to get used to the feeling.

BIGLRY
06-23-2015, 09:00 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/dvVSedxiJPs/hqdefault.jpg
http://www.fix.com/assets/content/15429/riding-in-hot-weather-03.png

shooter
06-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Larry that graphic is true but we all know its not possible. I was riding on a road in Arkansas last week that would have taken me 3 years to make five miles obeying that graphic.

stroguy
06-23-2015, 09:48 PM
I wish they were that easy. Our snakes run parallel with direction of travel. That's an exit hole squeezer.

shooter
06-23-2015, 10:00 PM
I might have damaged my seat a little in Arkansas. 90 degree corners , tar snake overload and 97 degree heat. It was a pucker-fest.

BIGLRY
06-23-2015, 11:21 PM
Larry that graphic is true but we all know its not possible. I was riding on a road in Arkansas last week that would have taken me 3 years to make five miles obeying that graphic.Oh I understand completely, and only proffered that graphic as general info for people that may not have encountered bad tar snakes or know a good way to approach them when possible.
Definitely not possible when you encounter ones like below
http://www.easterndeafbikers.org/images/tar_snake.jpg
http://thumbwave.com/dl650/images/tarsnakes.jpg
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/roadrash69.jpg

fl1madmax
06-25-2015, 07:49 AM
Oh I understand completely, and only proffered that graphic as general info for people that may not have encountered bad tar snakes or know a good way to approach them when possible.
Definitely not possible when you encounter ones like below
http://www.easterndeafbikers.org/images/tar_snake.jpg
http://thumbwave.com/dl650/images/tarsnakes.jpg
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/roadrash69.jpg

I rode on 129 to 75 from Cleveland to Murphy NC. the road was full of Tar Snakes, because Florida is so Flat and Straight, never experienced the feeling that I did , 96 degrees and winding roads, I've been across US on my Harley but even accelerating in a straight line the F6B wanted to brake the rear tire lose, lots of power small foot print, just have to behave , and enjoy the mountains ! Ride Safe , Ride Often...........so ready to retire, 6 more Months !

redinoliver
07-04-2015, 07:32 PM

I had a 2010 m 109 r and I put a avon storm 160 60 18 ,rear tire on the front. I couldn't believe how much better the bike handled.

GaTeach
05-09-2016, 10:07 AM
I have been riding motorcycles for over 50 years on and off and never had this issue until this last month when it was very hot and humid outside here in Michigan..As said above it scared the "hell" out of me for a while on the road I was on, which was full of "tar snakes", until I turned off and it went away...Thought for sure I was going down and the front end had come apart or something very serious...Came right home, checked the tire pressure (40) and then gave the front end a good inspection....After reading this thread, and others like it, I realized it came from the type of tire on the F6B. Others have said it comes from the big rain groove down the center of the OEM tire on the front....Now that I know this info I will make a point to avoid roads with a large number of these patches on it....although it will be a challenge as Michigan roads "suck"....Ride safe....

Ok I feel better now. I thought my tire was shot, my front end was shot, the suspension was shot....

HMMOG I did not enjoy that.

F6Dave
05-09-2016, 10:40 AM
My F6B seems more susceptible to tar snakes than my two old Valkyries. The tar can be downright scary on the F6B, but only an irritation on the Valkyries. Maybe that wide (150) front tire on the Valk minimizes the effect. I run Avon Cobras on the Valkyries, and have thought about trying them on the F6B.

DarkKnt
05-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Without a doubt, this bike is the worst of any I've ever ridden. I guess it's an unlucky combination of wheelbase, rake, weight and tire....

shooter
05-09-2016, 02:32 PM
My F6B seems more susceptible to tar snakes than my two old Valkyries. The tar can be downright scary on the F6B, but only an irritation on the Valkyries. Maybe that wide (150) front tire on the Valk minimizes the effect. I run Avon Cobras on the Valkyries, and have thought about trying them on the F6B.
Dave you might have something with the width of the tire. I was used to my 109 with the 160 on it. It was really solid on the snakes. The B gas scared the shyt out of me several times.

shooter
05-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Without a doubt, this bike is the worst of any I've ever ridden. I guess it's an unlucky combination of wheelbase, rake, weight and tire....

Yep and yep.

GaTeach
05-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Yep and yep.

I'm so happy I found this forum. :)

114th COBRA
05-09-2016, 04:20 PM
I'm so happy I found this forum. :)

You're not by yourself. !!!! :icon_biggrin:

willtill
05-09-2016, 05:23 PM
I think that with the expectation of once one realizes how the F6B will handle the tar (snakes)... it's easier to accept the sensation and be on the lookout for them

I too... have had my moments :shock: with those snakes. I ain't skeered of them... :icon_wink:

shooter
05-09-2016, 08:02 PM
I think that with the expectation of once one realizes how the F6B will handle the tar (snakes)... it's easier to accept the sensation and be on the lookout for them

I too... have had my moments :shock: with those snakes. I ain't skeered of them... :icon_wink:

You see that pic that Larry posted?? That's the way some of those roads in AR look. I found a couple of them last year.

jm21ddd15
05-09-2016, 08:15 PM
With a bike this big and heavy, there will be some front wheel movement on hot tar snakes. It's natural for the "anus" to tighten up when the front wheel moves sideways in a corner, because of the hot snakes. Just don't death grip the bars, and all should be good. Just another one of the many road hazards we motorcyclist must deal with. But, I don't like them, either!

Old Ryder
05-10-2016, 04:08 PM
I have yet to notice it. Back when I rode the VTX, it was an issue with the guys on the board over there, too. Can't remember the tire size on the 1800X.

stevenolts
05-10-2016, 05:02 PM
I hit one the other day in my subdivision on the 81 CB750K and I thought I was going over. It was in the middle of a curve 25 mph zone / I was going about 40mph. I went home and checked the tire pressure and it was fine. I hit the same spot on the F6B a day later and it felt the same way. The next time I went by that snake I stopped and pushed it with my foot. It did not seem like it was squishy or anything like that. It was not even that hot and it was overcast near 65 degrees.
Steve

3Chief
05-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Many years ago when I was researching my VTX I hit one on my way to the dealership on my vstar...65 mph going around a corner and the back end came loose...fishtailing at 65 on the freeway...to this day I'm not sure how I saved it...