PDA

View Full Version : Picking up new F6B tomorrow - Prioritize Upgrades - Please

F6bisnext
06-24-2015, 05:00 PM
I will be picking up a slightly used 2013 F6B tomorrow. 2,600 miles. Purchased by a Harley rider who just could not live without the extremely loud sound of his exhaust. Didn't want to deal with selling it, so he put it on consignment with a local wholesaler.

Price was fantastic!!!! Been looking at this bike for months! Cheapest I've seen anywhere...under $12K price with a Corbin saddle with driver and passenger backrest......Klockworks screen and highway pegs. Been reading everywhere about what upgrades everyone is doing and trying to figure our priorities.

Bought this bike because my wife and I (and 6 other couples) will be driving from FLA to Denver....then through the badlands to Sturgis (NOT during bike week) and Mt Rushmore and then to the Grand Canyon!! This bike will be much better than my VTX 1300C custom I've been riding.

What upgrades are critical? What order would you do them in? I am thinking of: luggage rack (or harley tour pack mod), throttle lock, bluetooth set for driver and passenger (does this bike have intercom capabilities?), grip changes..... I don't know all that is out there. Please help.

F6B1911
06-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Asking what's critical is like opening a can of worms, you'll get a wide variety of responses.

But.... A windshield replacement is the first thing, look at the Madstad, they are a supporting vendor here.
Everything else is subjective, ride it for a few weeks, read this forum from page one, and you'll be a happy camper.

stroguy
06-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Man that engine isn't even broken in yet. Congratulations. That list of mods sounds like a travelers hodgepodge of good mods. There is wired intercom available, you'd have to add the rear connection. Look at Bluetooth intercom if you are already looking at Bluetooth. Cruise is no biggie but I do like mine. It wouldn't kill me if I did not have it. Grip puppies are a cheap comfort mod. Upgraded seating is another choice but I love the stocker seat. Helibars if the handles just don't fit your skeleton. You need to drive a thousand or two and then say to yourself.....I be needin this. Good luck.

BIGLRY
06-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Welcome to the board of all things F6B!
Ride it and get your azz where you want it and feeling like you could ride all day then the other mods will come. There are many great selections for forwards, grips, shields, sound and lighting, but IMO the saddle is your base and should be the first thing you change if you don't like what you have, then ask a lot of ? about the others and be ready to break out the "ccsmiley"

There is a wealth of info on this site, all you need to do is ask. From mild to wild, easy or complex its been shown or talked about here.
Oh and you got a smoking deal on a super scooter, now make it yours in fit, form and function and ride it like you stolid it cause you did..:301:

troypennock
06-24-2015, 05:57 PM
Good job on the buying. I like to hear about people who like to take long rides.

DaWadd
06-25-2015, 07:27 AM
If it doesn't already have the center stand I'd highly recommend one.:yes:

Hornblower
06-25-2015, 08:12 AM
Wow! What a deal! It sounds like to me you already have many of the accessories you might want. If this bike is not the deluxe model, I agree with a previous poster that it would be handy to add a center stand. Of course, a throttle lock is nice for long trips. I recently installed the Brake Away which, I believe, is the safest of all the throttle locks. While not a true cruise control, it does allow you to rest your throttle hand a bit. And finally, you might want to consider adding additional lighting, both front and rear. Making your ride more conspicuous is always a good idea. Enjoy!

racer
06-25-2015, 01:34 PM
I will be picking up a slightly used 2013 F6B tomorrow. 2,600 miles. Purchased by a Harley rider who just could not live without the extremely loud sound of his exhaust. Didn't want to deal with selling it, so he put it on consignment with a local wholesaler.

Price was fantastic!!!! Been looking at this bike for months! Cheapest I've seen anywhere...under $12K price with a Corbin saddle with driver and passenger backrest......Klockworks screen and highway pegs. Been reading everywhere about what upgrades everyone is doing and trying to figure our priorities.

Bought this bike because my wife and I (and 6 other couples) will be driving from FLA to Denver....then through the badlands to Sturgis (NOT during bike week) and Mt Rushmore and then to the Grand Canyon!! This bike will be much better than my VTX 1300C custom I've been riding.

What upgrades are critical? What order would you do them in? I am thinking of: luggage rack (or harley tour pack mod), throttle lock, bluetooth set for driver and passenger (does this bike have intercom capabilities?), grip changes..... I don't know all that is out there. Please help.

IMO. No upgrades are critical.

The F6B has intercom capabilities. Sounds like you have the seat, backrests, windscreen and highway pegs covered. Those are typical upgrades. The luggage rack would be VERY handy on a long trip.

Some complain about no cruise, but if your ride with 6 other couples, unless you ALWAYS lead, cruise will do you no good. Do a thorough check of tires, fluids and the like.

Safety first. Have fun.

vstar09
06-25-2015, 08:03 PM
And one of the least expensive things you can add........Grip Puppies.....how did I go without them for a year?

Greg O
06-25-2015, 09:37 PM
I pick up my brand new 2013 yesterday and ordered a Clearview windshield today. My next purchase will be LED tail light bulbs and belly pan. Then highway pegs. That should be good until winter.

stepbill
06-26-2015, 07:27 AM
As everyone else has said, ride the bike for a while to see how you like it stock. A lot of people never change the bike. I do believe that you will appreciate a taller windshield cause you sure can't hear the radio with the stock. Best of luck with your new purchase, welcome to the family and ride safe!!!!

dickiedeals
06-26-2015, 07:36 AM
Asking what's critical is like opening a can of worms, you'll get a wide variety of responses.

But.... A windshield replacement is the first thing, look at the Madstad, they are a supporting vendor here.
Everything else is subjective, ride it for a few weeks, read this forum from page one, and you'll be a happy camper.

Just an opinion...I took the Klock Werks windshield off put the Madstad on adjusted and adjusted then put the Klock Werks back on and Its staying on..................Dickie

F6bisnext
07-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Been riding it and looking at what others have done. I ordered a battery tender lead to install. I ordeded the grip puppies and put them on today. I ordered the Liquid Glass and put on my first coat today...another baked on tomorrow. I ordered Kuryakyn LED rear view mirror lights. Didn't put them on yet. Am thinking about the following next:

1. New riding shoes. My cruise boots are too big to work the shifter. Riding in sneakers which I DONT like.
2. Maybe get the mini boards with drop down to help with #1 above.
3. Belly pan. Better safe than sorry.
4. May need extension arms to bring back my footrests a little. Not sure which I currently have on the bike.

Rest of the mod's I'll do I"ll have to figure out after I get more miles on her.

Thanks for the thoughts.

unsub
07-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Welcome OP. Some good suggestions already, but I would add saddlebag liners. Honda does make liners for the F6B, but so does Bestem and a few others.

The other suggestion made about the center stand is a good one, but the bag liners a must for your upcoming trip.

Tip: if you order liners online make sure you ask for saddlebag liners for Honda GoldWing GL1800 2012 or later.

Ride safe

motozeke
07-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Well, here's my list, in order of priority:

Windscreen (Madstad is the best I've tried)
Throttlemeister
USB power to the handlebars for GPS
SAE plug for a tire pump (plus a tire repair kit)
Bike MP3 luggage rack
Fork brace
Hand Wings
Heated gear wiring and wireless controller (I use Powerlet)
Belly pan

Everybody's butt is different, and before you go plunking real money down on a replacement seat I'd try some long miles on the stock seat. I have done many, many 500-700 mile days with no problem on the stock seat.

Also, my list is admittedly a very touring-centric one, because that's easily 90+% of the riding that I do. If you're mostly into day-tripping or restaurant-hopping, then you might do less of the touring-oriented changes and more of the cosmetic changes. Me, I haven't done a single cosmetic improvement because I think the bike looks the business just as it is. I have not gone on a single ride where I didn't get a compliment on this bike.

grendl
07-11-2015, 11:48 PM
CONGRATULATIONS on the purchase. Your story is much like mine,except the timing. I bought mine last year under the same circumstances. Harley rider traded his Harley for it,added a few goodies ,then traded it back for another Harley. Worked for me.
I rode from Denver to Madison right after I got it,thought the seat was going to kill me,then suddenly the stock seat with rider backrest stopped bothering me. The only reason I'd change it now is for the look of the Mustang seat,aside from that the stocker is very comfortable on long rides.
I'm still trying to decide on better lighting up front,but Underbelly and Center stand are in the works.
Cosmetics I agree are last as I love the way the bike looks as is.
The best advice is ride it another thousand,break in the seat then decide what you want from there.
I dont want a permanent 'trunk' on the back so one of the larger bags to sit on the passenger seat will be another purchase for a trip I have planned in August.
There is excellent advice here on almost anything,different opinions and really smart folks. This forum is my F6B guide. And good people too !
I'll say again,this is by far the best bike for me,I friggin' LOVE it !

lloydmoore1
07-12-2015, 05:18 AM
Ha just have more time available to ride cause the more you ride this beast the more you will love it.

bobbyf6b
07-12-2015, 09:45 AM
I would add to what you already have:

Grip covers, tail rack, belly pan, hand wings and a fork brace. All will make your long trip more enjoyable.

JGF6B
07-14-2015, 07:16 PM
First of all, thanks to the OP for this thread since I obtained an F6B at about the same time and have found this thread useful.
My only contribution would be to be patient with the Corbin seat. If you don't have previous history with a Corbin seat, they do take a couple of thousand miles to soften up where your butt applies pressure. Unless you sit exactly like the previous owner, the seat may not be broken in for you for a while.
My history with Corbin seats is that they are hard at first but evenually great. Breaking in a Corbin seat on consecutive long rides might not be very comfortable.

Fla_rider
07-14-2015, 08:03 PM
'welcome gang' to the forum from Tampa. Sounds like you have most the mods you need. Luggage or a trailer would be good for the long trip. Post a pic when you can, of the bike at least.