PDA

View Full Version : Saddlebag latch problems...

timjoebob
07-29-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm having trouble with the latch/handle-pull for my right saddlebag. When I turn the key in the rear to the appropriate horizontal position, either the pull-handle will not move at all or will pull completely, but not engage the release mechanism. I will have to turn the key back to verticle and then horizontal again to pull the handle and engage the release cable. Sometimes I have to do this two or three times.

My bike has been custom-painted as you can tell, which means the saddlebags were taken off their stays and painted. Could it be that they aren't exactly to stock, keeping the release cable from engaging?

It's getting aggravating and I'm gonna have to pull my seat to see what's what.

Any other ideas?

Hornblower
07-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Probably no need to pull the seat...just remove the right-side grab rail and re-engage the mechanism. Most likely, that will take care of it.

Steve 0080
07-29-2013, 03:33 PM
1/2 was there.......at that point pull the other side and give it a gander!!!!!
Warranty is still in effect........

timjoebob
07-29-2013, 04:45 PM
That's right... it's under the grab rail.

Thanks!

Alberta Beagle
07-29-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm having trouble with the latch/handle-pull for my right saddlebag. When I turn the key in the rear to the appropriate horizontal position, either the pull-handle will not move at all or will pull completely, but not engage the release mechanism. I will have to turn the key back to verticle and then horizontal again to pull the handle and engage the release cable. Sometimes I have to do this two or three times.

My bike has been custom-painted as you can tell, which means the saddlebags were taken off their stays and painted. Could it be that they aren't exactly to stock, keeping the release cable from engaging?

It's getting aggravating and I'm gonna have to pull my seat to see what's what.

Any other ideas?

W-A-R-R-A-N-T-Y

I really don't get why people want to mess around with a bike that's on warranty. I know there's a big hate on for dealers but if you screw it up trying to fix it then I can guarantee the dealer won't cover your screw up on warranty. I can also guarantee that the dealer will be run down for not covering what was screwed up by the customer in the first place. Not o on a rant but I trust my dealer 100% to be treated fairly and to have my bike fixed right when needed.

Beagle

Scotrod
07-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Small stuff can usually be fixed at home quicker than it takes just to get the bike down to the Dealer.
Everyone has their 'comfort level' with repairs and we each have our own definition of 'small stuff'
Some folks are pretty 'handy',,,, Some are still working on 'righty tighty, lefty loosey'! :icon_biggrin: