PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter and drain bolt sealing washer

stevenolts
06-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Where do you buy your oil filters and drain bolt sealing washers? I have bought them from the Honda dealer for the first two changes.
Do you use the Honda filter? or K&N or ?????

Steve

zeus661
06-24-2015, 08:02 PM
all Honda for me including the oil. Don't think Honda would make an inferior oil for a superior machine.

opas ride
06-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Where do you buy your oil filters and drain bolt sealing washers? I have bought them from the Honda dealer for the first two changes.

Steve
Usually buy my filters and washers from Wingstuff.com...Good prices and good service and a supplier to many of our members on this site....Filters are a personal choice, but I use Honda filters as I have several on hand from a previous purchase...Never really used or tried any other brands so cannot comment....

BIGLRY
06-24-2015, 09:29 PM

SteveOEM Honda filters all the way for me and all my Honda steel steeds, as to the oil drain plug crush washers I get mine by the dozen at a local Ace hardware store, but you can't go wrong with the site sponsors.:yes:

Texas TC
06-24-2015, 10:49 PM
Usually buy my filters and washers from Wingstuff.com...Good prices and good service and a supplier to many of our members on this site....Filters are a personal choice, but I use Honda filters as I have several on hand from a previous purchase...Never really used or tried any other brands so cannot comment....

I agree. I buy Honda oil, filters, and crush washers from Wing Stuff. I usually buy 4-5 oil changes at a time. However, I change my oil at 4000 miles rather than the factory suggestion of 8000 miles. Cheap insurance for the engine and transmission in my opinion.

DaWadd
06-25-2015, 07:11 AM
Currently have an Amsoil filter on but I have a stash of OEM Honda filters. I get my crush washers from the local Honda car dealer. I believe they are the same as the Civic.

wjduke
06-25-2015, 07:28 AM
A bit of a thread jack, but here it comes anyway...do you guys change the crush washer each oil change? It's been an issue elsewhere too. I did my own oil changes on my previous bike and never changed it out. Not a drop of oil from that area in over 20,000 miles.

Texas TC
06-25-2015, 07:49 AM
A bit of a thread jack, but here it comes anyway...do you guys change the crush washer each oil change? It's been an issue elsewhere too. I did my own oil changes on my previous bike and never changed it out. Not a drop of oil from that area in over 20,000 miles.

I do unless I have a senior moment and forget. Have been known to reuse a crush washer or two without issues, but as a rule, I change the washer with each oil change. I buy them in packs of 10 so I have plenty on hand.

Hornblower
06-25-2015, 08:01 AM
Then again, you could eliminate the crush washer altogether by installing one of these:

http://www.qwikvalve.com/F106SW-Adapter-Integrated-Valve-w-Short-Nipple-14mm-1.5.html

You might want to shop around for the best price. The Fumoto Qwik Valve makes oil changes even easier and less messy. :2cents:

bob109
06-25-2015, 08:38 AM

I've done numerous oil changes in the last 34K miles and the OEM crush washer is still in place. Not a drop of oil. I "always" us my torque wrench when re-installing the drain plug:icon_wink: I have a half dozen new spares but have yet to use any:icon_lol:

Texas TC
06-25-2015, 08:45 AM
Then again, you could eliminate the crush washer altogether by installing one of these:

http://www.qwikvalve.com/F106SW-Adapter-Integrated-Valve-w-Short-Nipple-14mm-1.5.html

You might want to shop around for the best price. The Fumoto Qwik Valve makes oil changes even easier and less messy. :2cents:

I just cannot see the value in those valves when you only use it every 4-8 thousand miles. It is just not that hard to take a bolt out of the oil pan to me. JMHO.

Hornblower
06-25-2015, 09:01 AM
I just cannot see the value in those valves when you only use it every 4-8 thousand miles. It is just not that hard to take a bolt out of the oil pan to me. JMHO.

That's fine but it's also not that hard to install the Fumoto and you only have to do that once :yes:.

bob109
06-25-2015, 09:34 AM
That's fine but it's also not that hard to install the Fumoto and you only have to do that once :yes:.

Just one observation about the Fumoto! Due to its extended length in comparison to the OEM drain plug, the valve, IMHO, becomes a "lever". Should the valve end come into contact with a solid object i.e. rock, curb, truck tire debris it could possibly snap off leaving only the threaded boss remaining. I personally don't have a close-up pic of the Fumoto for comparison! Maybe someone has a pic to compare to this pic of the OEM drain plug which clearly shows how it's "tucked" into the lower crankcase. If you have a belly pan then it wouldn't be a issue!

Hornblower
06-25-2015, 10:36 AM
Just one observation about the Fumoto! Due to its extended length in comparison to the OEM drain plug, the valve, IMHO, becomes a "lever". Should the valve end come into contact with a solid object i.e. rock, curb, truck tire debris it could possibly snap off leaving only the threaded boss remaining. I personally don't have a close-up pic of the Fumoto for comparison! Maybe someone has a pic to compare to this pic of the OEM drain plug which clearly shows how it's "tucked" into the lower crankcase. If you have a belly pan then it wouldn't be a issue!

Possibly, Bob, but due to the valve being positioned horizontally and not hanging down, it seems like a very remote possibility to me. I do agree, however, a belly pan seems like good added insurance and personally, I think a belly pan is a good idea regardless of whether or not you have a valve installed. Really, considering where the drain plug is located, if you hit it, or a valve if it's installed there, I believe you will have much bigger problems to be concerned with than simply snapping off the valve...just my opinion, of course.