PDA

View Full Version : Oil changes

stevenolts
06-24-2015, 08:12 PM
I know there is a lot of info on oil changes. I just wanted to get the general consensus of the forum members.

My Honda Service Manual specifies 8,000 between changes. With the first at 4,000 and 8,000 after that. I think that is the minimum under normal conditions. I always drive the bike hard and fast so feel I should probably change it more often. I also use Amsoil 10w30 motorcycle oil. I was thinking that since I did the first change at 600 mile per my dealer recommendation that I should change it at 5,000 and then every 5,000 after that. I chose 5,000 because it will be easy to remember and is still well under the 8,000 specified by Honda.

What do you guys think?
Steve

BIGLRY
06-24-2015, 09:13 PM
I know there is a lot of info on oil changes. I just wanted to get the general consensus of the forum members.

My Honda Service Manual specifies 8,000 between changes. With the first at 4,000 and 8,000 after that. I think that is the minimum under normal conditions. I always drive the bike hard and fast so feel I should probably change it more often. I also use Amsoil 10w30 motorcycle oil. I was thinking that since I did the first change at 600 mile per my dealer recommendation that I should change it at 5,000 and then every 5,000 after that. I chose 5,000 because it will be easy to remember and is still well under the 8,000 specified by Honda.

What do you guys think?
SteveSteve it is your $, your bike and you ain't hurting anything if you want to use that oil/filter change schedule. If it makes ya happy do it, but I run the other way and stretch my oil changes to the max of recommendations same as my valve clearance checks after the first one. In all my years of building engines and riding scoots I personally have never heard nor seen of any engine failing from wore out oil....yes from improper maintenance like checking it once and a while or oil filters going bad and causing issues, but never due to the oil going bad and causing a catastrophic failure, I would love to hear one empirical story of an engine the grenaded due the oil going bad. Anyone out there know of just one?:shrug:

Now don't get me wrong the oil does break down over time and usage, also gets dirty and can cause premature wear of critical parts, but by running the maximum manufactures change recommendations you will have no more wear than normally occurs IMO. We all know the first revolutions of the engine when starting create the most wear on tight tolerance parts due to the lack of oil until the engine pumps it up and oil manufactures take this in to consideration when making oil as a "cling factor" to help prevent wear during a cold and first start conditions.

I to use Amsoil 10W30 just a personal preference, but have no issues if I have to use some other brand. I do like synthetics due to the proven length they maintains their shear factors over dyno oil, but even dyno oil works well and has been used longer than I have been alive.
That is my
;2cents2;

opas ride
06-24-2015, 09:18 PM
You probably won't go wrong by following the Honda owners manual and recommended time between changes using good oil..Personally I will stick with 3500/4500 between changes as I have done for years without problems using semi synthetic or full synthetic oils...JMHO

Texas TC
06-24-2015, 10:58 PM
I use Honda oil and filters and change every 4000 miles. It probably is overkill but it makes me feel good. And, Honda made it so dang easy to change the oil on these things. No mess at all like I had with my Harleys where the filter drained on to the engine. I never did understand that design.

Mr.Roberts
06-26-2015, 06:51 AM
As stated previously your dollar change it as often as you like.
But really I doubt you could ride it hard enough on the road to make a difference.
Modern oils are pretty amazing.