PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ridden a Victory Cross Country Tour?

jerrysander
06-24-2015, 10:03 PM
I'm closing in on a purchase soon, folks, and the contenders are: 1) The F6B (which I've test-ridden and liked a bunch, although it was a short ride); 2) The Triumph Thunderbird LT (which I haven't ridden but was somewhat put off by the floorboards, having always had the shifter directly under my upright riding position) and 3) The Victory Cross Country Tour -- an outside-the-box last-minute consideration that I'm finding myself drawn to, but haven't ridden yet. I thought the odds were pretty good that one of you has ridden the Cross Country Tour and can compare it to the F6B's ride. All comments are welcome, including thoughts about fit/finish of Victory, long-term reliability, etc. I did notice that Victory scores the highest in owner-satisfaction surveys (beating both Honda and Harley, as far as I could see), but this might just be statistics playing games with us.

Thoughts about the Victory Cross Country Tour?

Injun Joe
06-24-2015, 10:32 PM
I'm closing in on a purchase soon, folks, and the contenders are: 1) The F6B (which I've test-ridden and liked a bunch, although it was a short ride); 2) The Triumph Thunderbird LT (which I haven't ridden but was somewhat put off by the floorboards, having always had the shifter directly under my upright riding position) and 3) The Victory Cross Country Tour -- an outside-the-box last-minute consideration that I'm finding myself drawn to, but haven't ridden yet. I thought the odds were pretty good that one of you has ridden the Cross Country Tour and can compare it to the F6B's ride. All comments are welcome, including thoughts about fit/finish of Victory, long-term reliability, etc. I did notice that Victory scores the highest in owner-satisfaction surveys (beating both Honda and Harley, as far as I could see), but this might just be statistics playing games with us.

I'll let others hate on it and the company. For me, it didn't fit me right. Wouldn't be my first choice of Victory. I'd go Vision sans trunk and almost might have except the dealer started jerking me around on price.

dickiedeals
06-24-2015, 10:32 PM
My buddy traded his Gold Wing for the Victory. He said he liked it at first but after a factory recall, transmission issues ,tune issues, and several other trips to the dealer he's hating life. He has also found that like Harley the maintenance is much more costly. Plus it requires Premium Fuel.
I personally enjoy riding with him while he gets it serviced, not to mention he gave me 4 Oil filters, oil plug washers, and an air filter from his wing. I'm loving life on my F6B. Good luck on you decision.......Dickie

ths61
06-24-2015, 10:52 PM
I'll let others hate on it and the company. For me, it didn't fit me right. Wouldn't be my first choice of Victory. I'd go Vision sans trunk and almost might have except the dealer started jerking me around on price.

It is kind of ironic, I had a few Honda dealers jerk me around on price (read: used car salesman that can't quote an all-inclusive OTD price if their life depended upon it) and it was a Victory dealer that gave me the best deal on my F6B and trade-in (straight up OTD price, rode in, signed papers, dropped cash, traded keys, shook hands, rode out, no games, no tricks, no surprises), go figure.

As for the CCT, it depends on what you are looking for. The Tupperware is not on par with HD's, but it is billed as the having the most storage space of all baggers. If you are used to the GL1800 engine, you may not be satisfied with the power of the stock 106. I thought the ride of the Vision was better, but it has less storage space than the CCT. The wifey didn't like the back seat of the CCT compared to the Vision or the F6B. If you decide on a Victory, make sure you have stable dealership(s) and wrenches in your area. Go out and test ride one, it shouldn't be hard to arrange a test ride. Also, the OEM 106 (stroked 100) has been out since 2007 and maybe due for a change. The aftermarket 114 and 116 (106 big jug) kits have been out for a while and Polaris delivered the OEM 111 on the Indian in 2013.

HTH

DaWadd
06-25-2015, 07:07 AM
I took out the CCT and the Vision for test rides last year and both were comfortable for me but I did find them underpowered compared to my 6. But they are nice bikes. When leaving I was happy to get back on my 6. Honda is having a Come Ride with Us event today at a local dealer and for fun I am taking a new anniversary edition Goldwing and VFR 800 for a spin. Tried the Valk last year and enjoyed it but the buffeting drove me nuts. I'd also look into the Indians as they are really nice but pricey."coffee"

Old Ryder
06-25-2015, 08:44 AM
They are fine motorcycles. They fit perfect, and the Cross Country is the most popular. I had the Cross Roads, which is the same bike less the fairing---and not as popular. If I were to by another Victory---which I am not and will explain in a few minutes--- it would be the Vision---and I would look for the 8 Ball version. Much better ride. The CC has a serious wind buffeting problem that takes a lot of tinkering to make go away. Their transmissions have a loud CLUNK when going into first and a lot of guys hate that. It has to do with the compensator ratio---in addition the clutch is manual/cable driven and not hydrolic. That may not sound like a big deal at first--but Google "Sav-UR-Ride". Clutch cables break so often that they make a product designed to get you home WHEN--not IF-- but WHEN it breaks. Even the name of the product tells you it is going to break. EDIT---here is a link. http://savurride.com/

The Vision does not have cable clutch and has no such problem. Like the B, Victory has paint issues as the clear coat scuffs very easy. The Freedom 106 is bulletproof and is very low maintenance compared to Harley and produces decent power, but not nearly the torque or smoothness of the flat 6.

What ran me away---and yes I said RAN ME AWAY from Victory is their dealer and parts. there are some good dealers out there and if you live close to one your life will be much easier. That clutch cable is going to cost you $125 WHEN it breaks--not to mention the $50 Save-UR-Ride you need to spend to get you home when it does break. Your dealer probably won't stock it and you will have to wait a week to get it. Get used to it, because most Vic dealers don't stock ANY parts other than oil filters and spark plugs and my dealer would charge shipping charges. TRUE STORY--I needed the plastic inserts that plug into the dimples on the bars that hold the cable zip ties in place---$1.19 each so I bought 5 at $6 and paid $10 in shipping and handling for a total cost of over $17 with tax! The final straw was when I needed a tire and the 2 closest Vic stores only had Dunlops and it would take a week to get and I was leaving for Bike week in 4 days. I bought the correct tire from a Honda store, but the Vic dealer would not install it because I bought it elsewhere---the Honda store would but did not know how. Not just any shop can switch a rear tire on a Vic, because of the aluminum frame that must sit overnight to cool or your belt tension will be wrong and if the belt is not perfect, you will destroy the rear bearing. So I screwed a sheet metal screw in the hole and rode it 80 miles ONE WAY to get the rear tire installed from a more "sympethic" dealer who also did not stock a tire but understood my deliema. BTW---anybody need a great deal on a belt tension gauage that I bought after the experience --never used!

Summary: The bike is a great design for the most part and probably will never give you trouble-----BUT IF IT DOES, YOU ARE IN FOR A WORLD OF FRUSTRATION!

Shall I continue?

Cheesyryder
06-25-2015, 09:38 AM
My 2 cents. Had a ThunderBird, traded it without second thoughts on the Six'xer. No problems with the T Bird the- F6 was just all that. Dealer lent me a Cross Country at my last service, gladly returned it before they called me!! The 6 is just a hell of a machine, the problem is that I want to like the American V twin-yet the F6B just wins in my opinion

opas ride
06-25-2015, 09:44 AM
I have owned and ridden the Victory Kingpin and Vision..Tested the Cross Roads and Cross County several times and they are nice bikes ...Much better in all aspects, except paint, than HD..The Vision is the best all around long distance touring bike I had..It is super quiet, handles great, no wind issues, and very comfortable..The XC bikes have a lot of wind noise from the fairing area and just did not feel as good to me as the Vision..Traded my Vision for the F6B as I wanted something lighter, and after owning a Valkyrie for years was longing for the silky smooth ride of the flat six again...I personally had no issues with parts or service as the three Victory dealers in my area were no problem..Yes, parts are expensive and take a long time to get which can be an issue...I personally would not buy an XC/XR Victory, but would buy another Vision if needed., but not before I would look at the BMW or Indian Touring bikes...Pretty hard to beat the F6B for the money in my opinion....Ride safe

RickJ
06-25-2015, 09:57 AM
I'm kinda a Triumph fan- I have an 04 tbird (triple) and my son has the new Bonnie. The Thunderbird LT was a strong contender- as was the Trophy- till I compared forums...a lot (not all) of the Triumph is about issues, OK warranty,,,but I live in Cooperstown NY and I don't know where the nearest dealer is (Syracuse?) AND they seem to be closing a lot of them (well, not a LOT- but dealers are frustrated working with corporate) The Honda Forum is mostly about where they went, what to add, and how bulletproof it is AND what bikes they switched FROM to get the F6B. Lastly- it's another twin (albeit it parallel) "is that a Harley that just went by?" I KEPT the 2004 tbird sport because it is cool, unique, fast, I MIGHT have gone with the trophy for a comfy cruiser- but there seemed to be some kinks yet to be worked out.

To be honest, I almost feel as if I have to defend my choice when people ask me what I ride- when I'm on it, the bike speaks for itself!

Old Ryder
06-25-2015, 10:48 AM
The 6 is just a hell of a machine, the problem is that I want to like the American V twin-yet the F6B just wins in my opinion

LOL Cheezy--I am the exact opposite. After a decade of V Twins, I want the world to see me on something different! :duck: To each his own. I simply love meeting the Harley guys on the road with a median and out of the corner of my eye watching their head rotate 180 degrees to see what I am riding. No greater feeling in the world. :yes:

Wmorgan2k
06-25-2015, 10:50 AM
I'll chime in here as well having owned a Vision and ridden and still ride with several Victories. Here's some bullet points to try and sum it up:

1. The dealer network isn't as vast as Honda. Take that how you will, if you have a dealer then your great. The bikes are very reliable, like any vehicle some have problems, Honda is the same way for everyone of us who says it's great, someone's had something break or some terrible experience with a Honda, and so on for every bike company out there. Take it with a grain of salt.

2. The CCT doesn't suffer from the same buffeting problems as the CC, I have buddies I rode with last weekend with CC's and a good screen fixes the issues. The CCT is quite comfortable and you can get a taller screen if you wish. it has tons of storage, more than any other.

3. Consider the Vision. It's the nicest of them all, it's not much more than an F6B Deluxe (on sale it's probably the same price actually). Electric windscreen, plenty of power, you can remove the trunk with 4 bolts and a plug. So it's bagger and a tourer. There is plenty of stuff out there for it accessory wise (not like Honda but 40yrs vs <10). The handling is right up there with the F6B just with more ground clearance. Power is just fine, it's just in a different place than the Wing, it's not as snappy, you have to rev it out. With a Filter/Tune/Exhaust it's as quick as a Wing. My Vision easily beat my buddies HD that had exhaust, cams, filter, tune, decat, etc. The looks are usually the breaking point for some. it's different. I personally loved it. It's hard to go anywhere on it and someone not ask you about it. The Honda, well it's a GoldWing the same basic look has been on the road for almost 15yrs now, nobody's really surprised by it lol. Oh and little side note on Victory maintenance it's no worse or better than a Wing. Change the oil (do it yourself it's easier to do than a wing) in 15 minutes every 5000 miles and ride on. There isn't anything else to do besides change out the air filter when it's dirty. Well besides the ninny stuff like "lube cables", check this, check that. But big major work, not really. Fork rebuilds around 15k miles I think is the big one, about $500. But keeps the forks fresh and suspension like new.

4. The 106 is plenty powerful, but the 111 in the Indian is even better. And it has bluetooth, a seat designed by Corbin, killer style, huge floorboards, tons of torque, great tunes and it handles well. Just something to think about.

5. Accessories. If your the kind of guy that likes to Farkle the daylights out of your bike, the Honda is the way to go. You can buy anything from almost anywhere at almost anytime of the day or night for a Honda. That could be good and bad. Some people don't know when to say "no". I've seen things... Victory doesn't have quite as many as Honda but you can probably find anything you wanted to change or ad.

6. Parts. Sorry but I disagree. NOBODY carries parts for anything any more. It's all ordered. To many dealers carry to many different lines of bikes or to many models. The Wing is slow mover next to GSXR1000's and ZX14's and Busa's. And even those they don't carry stuff for. Every time I go to the dealer they have NOTHING for my Wing except oil, filter, crush washer. Any other part has to be ordered. Oh and batteries. Very few dealers actually carry any accessories for them in stock, but they'll order whatever you want. No different for Victory you can get oil changes, tire changes, basic maintenance stuff no problem. I did find that my 3 dealers in my area all carried Victory accessories. The only aftermarket part I ordered was my taller screen for my Vision. Everything else one of my dealers had in stock. I put a seat on it, kicker speakers, cup holder, RAM mount, taller screen, highway pegs, trunk rack, etc all bought from the local dealers. My Wing I've ordered almost everything online because nobody carries anything here. Performance Honda has some small stuff now and again but most things they order for me.

7. The F6B is great, smooth and comfy but does suffer some of the same issues as the GoldWings. The tire cupping, the GoldWing Wobble, etc. It is however super super super smooth and goes like pretty damn good when you twist your wrist. if you want something that just eats miles, the B will do it. The deluxe is the way to go, the center stand is a must have, the cruise also and for the passenger the rear backrest. I love having the radio on it cause I jam out all the time. I put a bigger screen on to calm the wind as well. It will run practically forever, unless your the unlock soul that gets a crappy one (hey it happens to some).

Ultimately I got rid of my Vision because of the warranty, it was about to expire and they wanted $2000 to buy an extended. Honda is $600. If it would have been that cost for the Vision I'd still be riding it today. The lack of a dealer network does hurt but in 24,000 miles I put on it in two years it never once gave me a problem. The wing is a bit faster, more accessories available and larger dealer network, the Vision/CCT bikes I feel are more comfy. A bit of a feet forward seating position with large floorboards and shifter and brake that adjust 4" forward/backward for comfort. I kept my Vision 2 years, that's the longest i've ever owned A bike at one time. I get ADD quickly and trade them out all the time but the Vision I kept the longest and would still have if not for warranty.

Right now I have 3 Honda's, the GoldWing, F6B and Valkyrie. I love them. The dealer network is good, the accessories are plenty and the maintenance is easy and low. If they open a Victory dealer closer to me I'll most likely go buy another one of those, I love them as much as I love my Honda's. They best part is we have choices!

RickJ
06-25-2015, 11:43 AM
I'll chime in here as well having owned a Vision and ridden and still ride with several Victories. Here's some bullet points to try and sum it up:

1. The dealer network isn't as vast as Honda. Take that how you will, if you have a dealer then your great. The bikes are very reliable, like any vehicle some have problems, Honda is the same way for everyone of us who says it's great, someone's had something break or some terrible experience with a Honda, and so on for every bike company out there. Take it with a grain of salt.

2. The CCT doesn't suffer from the same buffeting problems as the CC, I have buddies I rode with last weekend with CC's and a good screen fixes the issues. The CCT is quite comfortable and you can get a taller screen if you wish. it has tons of storage, more than any other.

3. Consider the Vision. It's the nicest of them all, it's not much more than an F6B Deluxe (on sale it's probably the same price actually). Electric windscreen, plenty of power, you can remove the trunk with 4 bolts and a plug. So it's bagger and a tourer. There is plenty of stuff out there for it accessory wise (not like Honda but 40yrs vs <10). The handling is right up there with the F6B just with more ground clearance. Power is just fine, it's just in a different place than the Wing, it's not as snappy, you have to rev it out. With a Filter/Tune/Exhaust it's as quick as a Wing. My Vision easily beat my buddies HD that had exhaust, cams, filter, tune, decat, etc. The looks are usually the breaking point for some. it's different. I personally loved it. It's hard to go anywhere on it and someone not ask you about it. The Honda, well it's a GoldWing the same basic look has been on the road for almost 15yrs now, nobody's really surprised by it lol. Oh and little side note on Victory maintenance it's no worse or better than a Wing. Change the oil (do it yourself it's easier to do than a wing) in 15 minutes every 5000 miles and ride on. There isn't anything else to do besides change out the air filter when it's dirty. Well besides the ninny stuff like "lube cables", check this, check that. But big major work, not really. Fork rebuilds around 15k miles I think is the big one, about $500. But keeps the forks fresh and suspension like new.

4. The 106 is plenty powerful, but the 111 in the Indian is even better. And it has bluetooth, a seat designed by Corbin, killer style, huge floorboards, tons of torque, great tunes and it handles well. Just something to think about.

5. Accessories. If your the kind of guy that likes to Farkle the daylights out of your bike, the Honda is the way to go. You can buy anything from almost anywhere at almost anytime of the day or night for a Honda. That could be good and bad. Some people don't know when to say "no". I've seen things... Victory doesn't have quite as many as Honda but you can probably find anything you wanted to change or ad.

6. Parts. Sorry but I disagree. NOBODY carries parts for anything any more. It's all ordered. To many dealers carry to many different lines of bikes or to many models. The Wing is slow mover next to GSXR1000's and ZX14's and Busa's. And even those they don't carry stuff for. Every time I go to the dealer they have NOTHING for my Wing except oil, filter, crush washer. Any other part has to be ordered. Oh and batteries. Very few dealers actually carry any accessories for them in stock, but they'll order whatever you want. No different for Victory you can get oil changes, tire changes, basic maintenance stuff no problem. I did find that my 3 dealers in my area all carried Victory accessories. The only aftermarket part I ordered was my taller screen for my Vision. Everything else one of my dealers had in stock. I put a seat on it, kicker speakers, cup holder, RAM mount, taller screen, highway pegs, trunk rack, etc all bought from the local dealers. My Wing I've ordered almost everything online because nobody carries anything here. Performance Honda has some small stuff now and again but most things they order for me.

7. The F6B is great, smooth and comfy but does suffer some of the same issues as the GoldWings. The tire cupping, the GoldWing Wobble, etc. It is however super super super smooth and goes like pretty damn good when you twist your wrist. if you want something that just eats miles, the B will do it. The deluxe is the way to go, the center stand is a must have, the cruise also and for the passenger the rear backrest. I love having the radio on it cause I jam out all the time. I put a bigger screen on to calm the wind as well. It will run practically forever, unless your the unlock soul that gets a crappy one (hey it happens to some).

Ultimately I got rid of my Vision because of the warranty, it was about to expire and they wanted $2000 to buy an extended. Honda is $600. If it would have been that cost for the Vision I'd still be riding it today. The lack of a dealer network does hurt but in 24,000 miles I put on it in two years it never once gave me a problem. The wing is a bit faster, more accessories available and larger dealer network, the Vision/CCT bikes I feel are more comfy. A bit of a feet forward seating position with large floorboards and shifter and brake that adjust 4" forward/backward for comfort. I kept my Vision 2 years, that's the longest i've ever owned A bike at one time. I get ADD quickly and trade them out all the time but the Vision I kept the longest and would still have if not for warranty.

Right now I have 3 Honda's, the GoldWing, F6B and Valkyrie. I love them. The dealer network is good, the accessories are plenty and the maintenance is easy and low. If they open a Victory dealer closer to me I'll most likely go buy another one of those, I love them as much as I love my Honda's. They best part is we have choices!

Man, I love reading informative unbiased stuff..well done man!

racer
06-25-2015, 01:19 PM
With a Filter/Tune/Exhaust it's as quick as a Wing.

Nice write up, however...

Nope. A Filter/Tune/Exhaust will NOT get you there.

Vision-
85.0 hp @ 4670 rpm
The Vision- 0-60 4.4 sec.
13.34 sec. @ 96.03 mph
Top speed - 107 mph

The F6B-
103.66 @ 5580 rpm
0-60 3.3 se.
11.84 sec. @ 110.97 mph
Top speed - 125 mph (factory limited)

The Indian won the comparison with the Harley and the Vision. In fact the Vision came in last. Just the opinion of some magazine guys.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/03/16/harley-davidson-electra-glide-ultra-classic-vs-indian-roadmaster-vs-victory-cross-country-tour-comparison-test-motorcycle-review/

The handling is right up there with the F6B just with more ground clearance.

JMO... But I'm not buying that either. Didn't handle as well as the HD or Indian.

On twisty roads, the long-wheelbase Victory is competent but not quite as composed as the others, perhaps because it’s the longest bike and it has the greatest polar moment of inertia.

racer
06-25-2015, 01:23 PM

Since you rode an F6B, ride a Victory and decide. I like the Victory Hardball myself, but couldn't get the price of a new leftover where I wanted it. I knew it couldn't match the performance, ride and handling of the F6B. But it looked so damn nice.

Turns out, it couldn't match the price of the new, leftover 6 either. They wanted $1000 more for a leftover 2012 hardball than I paid for my leftover 2013 F6B.

That sealed the deal.

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/2013/baggers/hard-ball

hiflyer
06-25-2015, 01:43 PM
The Vic and the Indian are just plain fugly.

ths61
06-25-2015, 02:01 PM

The Indian won the comparison with the Harley and the Vision. In fact the "Vision" came in last. Just the opinion of some magazine guys.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/03/16/harley-davidson-electra-glide-ultra-classic-vs-indian-roadmaster-vs-victory-cross-country-tour-comparison-test-motorcycle-review/

JMO... But I'm not buying that either. Didn't handle as well as the HD or Indian.

"... On twisty roads, the long-wheelbase Victory is competent but not quite as composed as the others, perhaps because it’s the longest bike and it has the greatest polar moment of inertia. ..."

I think you meant the "Cross Country Tour", not the "Vision" based on the article posted and the 3 bikes they compared (Vision was not one of them). The ride is definitely different between the CCT and the Vision.

FWIW, the Victory (CCT, Vision & Indian Roadmaster) have 1" shorter wheelbase and @ 1" more ground clearance than the F6B.

racer
06-25-2015, 02:10 PM
FWIW, the Victory (CCT and Vision) has 1" shorter wheelbase and 1" more ground clearance than the F6B.

I think you meant the "Cross Country Tour", not the "Vision" based on the article posted and the 3 bikes they compared (Vision was not one of them). The ride is definitely different between the CCT and the Vision.

Yes. I stand corrected. The CCT.

I don't think you'll find many that will say the Vision out handles the F6B. And I'd love to see the comparison road test that proves it.

ths61
06-25-2015, 02:25 PM
Yes. I stand corrected. The CCT.

I don't think you'll find many that will say the Vision out handles the F6B. And I'd love to see the comparison road test that proves it.

I put @ 50K miles on my Vision and only have @ 5K miles on my F6B for comparison. Their rides are definitely different. I am looking at a Traxxion setup (what I had on the Vision) and then I will be able to make a more accurate comparison. The engine is definitely smoother on the F6B, but the suspension was smoother on the Vision.

I think my Anti-Dive-Valve maybe sticking because I get a lot of high frequency vibrations coming through the bars on rough (not potholes) asphalt roads. Once the front has been done, I will know better. I may try one of the Anti-Dive-Valve disable shims first, but read they work better with heavier front fork springs.

Even with cams, tuner, new ECU, map, pipes & timing gear, you don't get the low end that you have in the F6B. After you do all of that on the Victory, then you have to worry about the rest of the drive train and clutch holding up. That being said, I hope Polaris doesn't leave the Victory line with the 106 in favor of their new Indian 111 line.

shooter
06-25-2015, 03:43 PM
The Victory is a good bike. I run de with two brothers. One has a Vision the other one a Cross Country. Nice looking. Slooowww.

lloydmoore1
06-25-2015, 06:34 PM
This is a lot of good reading and accurate accounts.
For me I was wanting the CCT real bad and the deal breaker was the day I test drove it. I took out a new CCT and my buddy took out an used CC with 5000klms. We switched bikes about half way and the difference between the 2 bikes was not good.
Long story short, I loved the look of the CCT but it did not ride the way I expected. If you ride the CCT and the F6B you will do like me and love the F6B cause it out performs by a long shot.

VP8
06-25-2015, 07:30 PM
If you want power/performance, the F6B wins hands down over the Vic. No comparison... off the line, passing ability, etc.

I had a 2012 Victory Cross Country for one year. I purchased it brand new and managed to put 25,500 miles on it during that time. When the bike runs, it runs great... and it's comfortable. Nice seating position, leg room... longest floorboards you will ever find. And storage capacity...WOW...those saddlebags are huge, and I was able to fit all my gear/clothes for two weeks in them without having to mount anything outside (I know how to pack light). HOWEVER...I had A LOT of warranty problems with this bike. This was my first American made bike, and I only purchased it because all my friends who ride Victory swear by them. I was going into more of the touring route for long bike trips, so I wanted a touring bike. I had over eight warranty problems... two of which were replacing the same rear cylinder head that was porous. I had a pulley replaced because it was squealing like crazy, the cruise control module was replaced because it wasn't working properly, corner pieces from both saddlebags were missing, the primary gasket was replaced due to seepage, the rear shock was replaced due to seepage, and the final straw was when I was stranded due to a bad alternator. That was the final straw...I have never been stranded before with any of my prior bikes, and I had just returned from a three day motorcycle trip at Mammoth/Yosemite. I would have ruined the trip for everyone if my bike was stranded during the trip. I could no longer trust the bike, so I sold it, test rode the F6B and was sold.

Parts availability with Victory were a joke. My bike was at the dealer for over 45 days waiting for a rear cylinder head... but Victory was unresponsive with any kind of ETA. Common parts from Victory typically take a couple of weeks to arrive... if they are in stock. Where as Honda... its a matter of days. When I ordered some accessories from Honda, which were backordered...I received my entire order in a week. I was truly impressed.

As others have mentioned... Victory dealers are few and far between. I had to travel approximately 40 miles just to take my bike to the dealer... and they charged me $120/hour to work on my bike. Typical service interval would cost me over $300 each time. With my Honda...I travel about five miles away, and they charge me $80/hour...so my service interval only costs about $150 each time.

In one month, I will have had my F6B for one year... and it's been trouble free. :)

Now my horrendous experience with Victory could be an isolated incident. The majority of my friends have no problems with their Victories and are super happy. Oh, BTW, the Cross Country... yes... major wind buffeting. I had to switch to a boomerang windshield and add the crash guard covers to prevent the buffeting... but the bike I had was with forged crash bars, which they don't include on the new bikes anymore.

Good luck with your decision...I hope this helps.

Cheesyryder
06-26-2015, 09:26 AM
LOL Cheezy--I am the exact opposite. After a decade of V Twins, I want the world to see me on something different! :duck: To each his own. I simply love meeting the Harley guys on the road with a median and out of the corner of my eye watching their head rotate 180 degrees to see what I am riding. No greater feeling in the world. :yes:

I tell you everybody checks out theSix'xer!!!

dickiedeals
06-26-2015, 09:36 AM
I tell you everybody checks out theSix'xer!!!

+1 from a 30 Harley riding Veteran.................Dickie:duck:

dickiedeals
06-26-2015, 09:38 AM

+1...........Dickie

jerrysander
06-26-2015, 06:33 PM
Good thoughts, almost all. Thanks for your honesty, directness. After reading -- and before test-riding -- I'm a little worried about Victory's long-term mechanical integrity compared to the Honda's....I must confess that I'm similarly worried about the Honda's PAINT problems on the F6B (really???) and annoyed to hear about it. Is the paint issue LESS OF AN ISSUE on the '15 Grey F6B Deluxe?

Thanks again, folks.

Old Ryder
06-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Jerry, Personally the paint on the B does not bother me at all. After I add up all of the advantages of owning the B and subtracting the paint "thingy", it is still a lopsided decision. I can deal with it. I will add that I have spent a ton on seats, risers and shields to get the right combo for my body. Plan on that before you buy if you are above average size.

BTW--- Did Honda copy the "Honda of Russellville Stealth" with the Matt Gray paint? Am I the only person to notice that??????????
http://www.hondaofrussellville.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=332385&pov=3845816

Jimmytee
06-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Good thoughts, almost all. Thanks for your honesty, directness. After reading -- and before test-riding -- I'm a little worried about Victory's long-term mechanical integrity compared to the Honda's....I must confess that I'm similarly worried about the Honda's PAINT problems on the F6B (really???) and annoyed to hear about it. Is the paint issue LESS OF AN ISSUE on the '15 Grey F6B Deluxe?

Thanks again, folks.

Just my opinion, but the paint issue to me is a little overblown. No, the paint does not compare to the likes of Harley. But with a coat every now and then of Liquid Glass and I've got no complaints. Mine looks as good as the day I bought her. now with almost 11,000 miles.

Cool Hand Luke
06-27-2015, 11:55 AM
Just got back from a nice ride with my son on my F6B. It is a kind of bike one feels very safe and confident on. It rides smooth, handles better than a bike of it's size should, and there is simply no worries if it will get you back home.

I hapen to like the looks of it (mine is black), and also the uniqueness of it. There may be other Goldwings on the road but not very many F6B's, which I happen to like a lot.

I usually keep two bikes in my stable. I also like the cruisers a lot. They fit me great and I have no problems with the performance. Sometimes I enjoy riding kind of slow, taking the views of the surroundings in.

I just bought last week a 2012 Victory XC with 1300 miles on it for $10,500. Stock except for Cee Bailey windshield. Beautiful blue metallic color. The pictures do not do it justice.

I have ridden XC's before but not owned one. I have put close to a thousand miles on it since last Tuesday (and I work, too). I like it a lot. I feel excited about it just as much as when I bought my new 2013 F6B. The bike rides great. I find the stock seat very comfortable, it is soft but it does not bottom up when riding for a while. This past Thursday I rode about 370 miles in a day, some very twisty roads. Never once did I touch down and I did a pretty good pace. Handling felt very assured and stable.

It was around 100 degrees that day, yet I did not feel much heat on my legs from the engine (my XC does not have lowers). I also got 45 mpg, bike has 5.8 gallons. I did 240 miles on the way home on one tankful, not sure how much gas is left as I have not refueled yet.

XC has two features my F6B doesn't have, cruise and abs. Cruise works great with no lag whatsoever.

Power is sufficient. I had no trouble passing. I got it up to 95mph on the highway on my way back, bike rode smooth and didn't feel stressed.

Stereo sounds similar to the one on F6B, which is to say it is sufficient but it won't blow you away. I'm fine with that for both bikes. It does have the weather band built in and ipod hook up in the saddlebag, similar to F6B.

I read about their reliability and maintenance. Not bad. According to Consumer Reports, Honda overall reliability survey after 4 years showed it at 12% and Victory at 17% (HD was 26% and BMW and Can Am were at 40% failure rate). XC has hydraulic valve adjusters, belt drive, so just needs oil changes and air filters cleaned for the most part. I also owned two HD's in the past, 2000 Road King Classic and 2009 VRod Muscle and both have been problem free. RK sold with around 75,000 miles on it and VRSCF with over 30,000.

In the same survey they also reported on customer satisfaction. Victory came in first at 80%, HD was at 72% and Honda at 70%. Here is the link to the article: http://www.moneytalksnews.com/the-most-reliable-motorcycle-brand-not-harley/

I would say this: owning a motorcycle is not just about raw numbers and statistics. The emotion plays a huge part. That is the intangible, unmeasurable reason why things happen that don't seem to make rational sense. I love riding the XC, love the looks, the comfort, but most importantly the way it makes me feel about myself. Of course I have these feelings about F6B, just in different way. People (non riders) ask me why I need two bikes, I can only ride one at the time. I say because they feel different, kind of like why the car guys have sports cars and pickup trucks (me too). That is why for some people repairs are just a part of the course and they still enjoy their bikes anyways. Who said the motorcycling sport is cheap, anyways?

dmdbit
06-27-2015, 10:04 PM
this has been very interesting reading. I have had multiple opportunities at victory demo days. I have not had the opportunity to ride a f6b. How does the slow speed handling compare? I am close to buying a comfortable 2up touring bike and really like what I see and read about the f6b. The vision was impressive to me on the ride but the cross country tour was close enough with better storage. The f6b is my first choice but am frustrated at dealers not offering a test ride. I have felt confident on the victory's and a borrowed roadglide but would like opinions on the f6b slow speed handling. All bikes are relatively easy at 45 mph moving but that stop and go traffic and parking lot stuff can make or break an enjoyable ride. I have had my current bike(2007bandit) for 6 years and 84,000 miles and still enjoy it but it is not passenger friendly.

hiflyer
06-27-2015, 11:36 PM
this has been very interesting reading. I have had multiple opportunities at victory demo days. I have not had the opportunity to ride a f6b. How does the slow speed handling compare? I am close to buying a comfortable 2up touring bike and really like what I see and read about the f6b. The vision was impressive to me on the ride but the cross country tour was close enough with better storage. The f6b is my first choice but am frustrated at dealers not offering a test ride. I have felt confident on the victory's and a borrowed roadglide but would like opinions on the f6b slow speed handling. All bikes are relatively easy at 45 mph moving but that stop and go traffic and parking lot stuff can make or break an enjoyable ride. I have had my current bike(2007bandit) for 6 years and 84,000 miles and still enjoy it but it is not passenger friendly.

I bought the F6 without a test ride, I've owned, let's just say "a bunch" of bikes, and there has never been a regret about this machine. It's that good!

Old Ryder
06-29-2015, 09:31 AM
this has been very interesting reading. I have had multiple opportunities at victory demo days. I have not had the opportunity to ride a f6b. How does the slow speed handling compare? I am close to buying a comfortable 2up touring bike and really like what I see and read about the f6b. The vision was impressive to me on the ride but the cross country tour was close enough with better storage. The f6b is my first choice but am frustrated at dealers not offering a test ride. I have felt confident on the victory's and a borrowed roadglide but would like opinions on the f6b slow speed handling.

Victory, F6B, Harley---all have excellent slow speed handling. It is hard to rate one above the other. I will say this about the B---actually it was said by one of my riding buddies who now rides a Versys. He has ridden all of my Harleys and Victorys and until the B, he was most impressed with the Vic Cross Roads. He described the B as the only bike he has ridden that rides like a car with 2 wheels. By that he means that he points it in a direction and it tracks dead on with no drift or hunt, and that is at any speed from walking speed to 80. After he pointed that out, I must say I have to agree with him.

Here is a picture of some of my past rides.

jerrysander
06-30-2015, 08:29 AM
I think you are right: "The emotion plays a huge part."

I'm a psychotherapist by trade. So....I know.

I'm looking forward to sitting on and riding a XC. I know the F6B feels wonderful, easy. I'm 61 years old and keep things a long time. (My Honda Accord has 186,000 miles on it, an '06.) I want not only a reliable bike, but one that I will feel enthused about getting on, with my wife, for the next 10-15 years.

At which point I'll see what the new offerings are.

:)

Jerry

Just got back from a nice ride with my son on my F6B. It is a kind of bike one feels very safe and confident on. It rides smooth, handles better than a bike of it's size should, and there is simply no worries if it will get you back home.

I hapen to like the looks of it (mine is black), and also the uniqueness of it. There may be other Goldwings on the road but not very many F6B's, which I happen to like a lot.

I usually keep two bikes in my stable. I also like the cruisers a lot. They fit me great and I have no problems with the performance. Sometimes I enjoy riding kind of slow, taking the views of the surroundings in.

I just bought last week a 2012 Victory XC with 1300 miles on it for $10,500. Stock except for Cee Bailey windshield. Beautiful blue metallic color. The pictures do not do it justice.

I have ridden XC's before but not owned one. I have put close to a thousand miles on it since last Tuesday (and I work, too). I like it a lot. I feel excited about it just as much as when I bought my new 2013 F6B. The bike rides great. I find the stock seat very comfortable, it is soft but it does not bottom up when riding for a while. This past Thursday I rode about 370 miles in a day, some very twisty roads. Never once did I touch down and I did a pretty good pace. Handling felt very assured and stable.

It was around 100 degrees that day, yet I did not feel much heat on my legs from the engine (my XC does not have lowers). I also got 45 mpg, bike has 5.8 gallons. I did 240 miles on the way home on one tankful, not sure how much gas is left as I have not refueled yet.

XC has two features my F6B doesn't have, cruise and abs. Cruise works great with no lag whatsoever.

Power is sufficient. I had no trouble passing. I got it up to 95mph on the highway on my way back, bike rode smooth and didn't feel stressed.

Stereo sounds similar to the one on F6B, which is to say it is sufficient but it won't blow you away. I'm fine with that for both bikes. It does have the weather band built in and ipod hook up in the saddlebag, similar to F6B.

I read about their reliability and maintenance. Not bad. According to Consumer Reports, Honda overall reliability survey after 4 years showed it at 12% and Victory at 17% (HD was 26% and BMW and Can Am were at 40% failure rate). XC has hydraulic valve adjusters, belt drive, so just needs oil changes and air filters cleaned for the most part. I also owned two HD's in the past, 2000 Road King Classic and 2009 VRod Muscle and both have been problem free. RK sold with around 75,000 miles on it and VRSCF with over 30,000.

In the same survey they also reported on customer satisfaction. Victory came in first at 80%, HD was at 72% and Honda at 70%. Here is the link to the article: http://www.moneytalksnews.com/the-most-reliable-motorcycle-brand-not-harley/

I would say this: owning a motorcycle is not just about raw numbers and statistics. The emotion plays a huge part. That is the intangible, unmeasurable reason why things happen that don't seem to make rational sense. I love riding the XC, love the looks, the comfort, but most importantly the way it makes me feel about myself. Of course I have these feelings about F6B, just in different way. People (non riders) ask me why I need two bikes, I can only ride one at the time. I say because they feel different, kind of like why the car guys have sports cars and pickup trucks (me too). That is why for some people repairs are just a part of the course and they still enjoy their bikes anyways. Who said the motorcycling sport is cheap, anyways?

hiflyer
06-30-2015, 10:09 AM

I'm looking forward to sitting on and riding a XC. I know the F6B feels wonderful, easy. I'm 61 years old and keep things a long time. (My Honda Accord has 186,000 miles on it, an '06.) I want not only a reliable bike, but one that I will feel enthused about getting on, with my wife, for the next 10-15 years.

Jerry

Everytime I get on the F6B, I am reminded about why I like this bike so much, and the fact that I can do most maintenance is a bonus. I've had em all except the Polaris offerings, but I did spend the day riding a XC in Phoenix two winters ago. I still think they are butt ugly, and would probably be last on my list of new bikes. It's all about what ever floats YOUR boat, no one elses.

JohnnyF6B
06-30-2015, 11:17 AM
If my F6B was a comfy as my CC I would have kept it. The CC is low in power & doesn't handle as good. Neither handle well IMO.
Wind buffeting?? The Honda stock is the same as the CC. The CCT may be better. They make after market windshields(as we all know :icon_wink: ) Tranny is clunky on the Vic.

I bought the Vic CC when I was looking for a sport tourer. Took out several different bikes. Never even considered the CC till the dealer I know told me to take one for a spin. I had never ridden a bike with forward controls. So comfy. I can place my feet under me, or extend them out front. If the F6B had the comfort of the CC I would have kept it in a heartbeat. Loved the smooth power(& wheelies in 1st gear)
30,000 km on the CC. No issues yet. It doesn't get babied either.

jlyon
06-30-2015, 12:24 PM
Well... I guess I agree and disagree with most of the posts here...

I own both a 2014 CCT and a 2013 F6B.... I love BOTH of these bikes....

I sold my 2009 H-D Ultra to buy them, (and still have a 2009 H-D CVO FatBob with very low mileage for sale)...

The '6 handles better at the slowest speeds, but the CCT is no slouch there either... they both turn circles inside the radius of my old Ultra...

Each bike has it's own personality... there is no trade for the smoothness of the '6, but also nothing like the feeling of raw power on my CCT (I put the 116 big bore kit in along with cam work, so my numbers are 130/130 on it - far exceeding the '6)...

But riding the CCT is riding a lower slung V-twin, riding the '6 is riding a well tuned flat 6.... totally different rides...

But...

As I said, they each do different things and each bring a smile to my face...

I wish the paint on the '6 was better, and I wish the cruise control on the CCT didn't look so aftermartket (which is still better than the NON-cruise control on the '6)

I've reduced my stable to 2 ponies (that I ride), and looking to sell the third because it just didn't put the smile on my face that these two did...

My $.02...

Ride safe y'all !!! :)14971

racer
06-30-2015, 12:49 PM

Jerry

For the wife:

The F6B’s silky-smooth engine, fabulous seats, compliant suspension and faultless ergonomics made both rider and passenger feel like they truly were in the lap of luxury. I never squirmed in the very least atop the Honda’s saddle, and Rosanne—who has logged countless miles on many different bikes as my co-pilot—said the passenger compartment was the most comfortable she had ever experienced. “Everything was ideal,” she noted, “the seat shape, the backrest location, the footpeg placement. I could have ridden back there forever.”

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/04/22/harley-davidson-cvo-road-glide-vs-honda-gold-wing-f6b-deluxe-comparison-test/

Johnurankar
08-22-2015, 06:07 PM
I bought an 08 Vision tour which I traded for an 09 Ness Vision, and I loved riding both. Hit a deer on the 09 at 55 nearly cut it in half and didn't go down. Cost to repair was 6500.00. I ended up bringing the 09 in for service and test rode the 13 F6B. The test ride was enough for me to get the Honda. I hadn't considered purchasing the CC so I can't compare the 2, although I had heard and read that the Vision was the better riding bike of the 2. Comparing stock bikes the Honda feels smaller and lighter. What I miss on the Victory the power Windshield, cruise, and the auto adjusting volume control. The Victory turned more heads and sounded better, but the Honda is smoother more powerful handles and stops better. Not to mention my passenger prefers it (that's a huge advantage).

willtill
08-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Has a 2011 Victory Vision. Front drive sprocket starting leaking oil at 18K. Took it in to Chesapeake cycles in Annapolis; they wouldn't cover it under warranty. It should have been covered; it was an internal part that failed but they wouldn't go the extra mile for me with Ma Vic.

Paid almost 500 dollars to get it fixed. 3,000 miles later; it started leaking again. Called Chesapeake cycles, they wouldn't warrant the repair... and they wouldn't call me back to schedule a repair either.

They also tried to charge me for the tire that I brought in to put on the rear wheel of my Vision. Bunch of shysters their service department is.

Traded in the Vision for the F6B. I'm done with the Vision and the boneheads at Chesapeake Cycles. :no:

Cool Hand Luke
08-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Has a 2011 Victory Vision. Front drive sprocket starting leaking oil at 18K. Took it in to Chesapeake cycles in Annapolis; they wouldn't cover it under warranty. It should have been covered; it was an internal part that failed but they wouldn't go the extra mile for me with Ma Vic.

Paid almost 500 dollars to get it fixed. 3,000 miles later; it started leaking again. Called Chesapeake cycles, they wouldn't warrant the repair... and they wouldn't call me back to schedule a repair either.

They also tried to charge me for the tire that I brought in to put on the rear wheel of my Vision. Bunch of shysters their service department is.

Traded in the Vision for the F6B. I'm done with the Vision and the boneheads at Chesapeake Cycles. :no:

Looks like a very bad dealer experience, sorry to hear that.

Jimmytee
08-22-2015, 08:32 PM
. What I miss on the Victory the power Windshield, cruise, and the auto adjusting volume control..

Your F6B has auto speed adjusting volume . It's called AVC. You have to turn it on and it has variable adjustments. I never used it on mine though.

willtill
08-23-2015, 06:16 AM
Looks like a very bad dealer experience, sorry to hear that.

Yeah, that Vision was a very comfortable bike. And I do all of my wrenching myself; but since this was an internal oil seal for the front drive sprocket; I took it in to them so that the warranty would take care of it. Nope... they wanted to charge me the non-warranty rate which is higher than what Victory would've paid them.

Oh btw... they also did not reassemble my exhaust system correctly; I developed a pop after I picked it up; and had to loosen every exhaust joint and re-tighten in the correct sequence. They also managed to mar up the rear "M" panel as well.. with something dragged across it.

In all my years of motorcycling, there have only been a few times that I've ever taken a bike into the dealer. And each and every time; something was later wrong with it or repair was not done correctly. :banghead:

Cool Hand Luke
08-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Yeah, that Vision was a very comfortable bike. And I do all of my wrenching myself; but since this was an internal oil seal for the front drive sprocket; I took it in to them so that the warranty would take care of it. Nope... they wanted to charge me the non-warranty rate which is higher than what Victory would've paid them.

Oh btw... they also did not reassemble my exhaust system correctly; I developed a pop after I picked it up; and had to loosen every exhaust joint and re-tighten in the correct sequence. They also managed to mar up the rear "M" panel as well.. with something dragged across it.

In all my years of motorcycling, there have only been a few times that I've ever taken a bike into the dealer. And each and every time; something was later wrong with it or repair was not done correctly. :banghead:

I totally understand. I had bad motorcycle shops experiences myself.

On the positive note, two weeks ago I rode to Myrtle Beach on my CC. Stopped at Coastal Victory and Indian in Murells Inlet. I wanted to buy some accessories off the shelf and the salesman offered to get them installed for me right then and there. It was around 5pm and they work until 6pm. They installed my new matching grips and shift/brake pads, exhaust and exhaust tips. And, interesting enough, did not charge me for labor, only parts!

I also thought the prices were fair as I always check them out on the internet.

Earlier that day, my friend I and rode to Charleston SC. We stopped at American Biker shop, which deals in Victory and Indian bikes. My friend fully intended to trade in his HD Ultra for a new Indian Roadmaster. He was told that Indian Corp. does not allow them to reduce the price of the bike but that he would get 'a hell of a trade in for his HD'. Well, he bought it last year used for $15k, new is $25k and book vaule on it is $19k. They offered him $11k. He passed, kind of upset, not much of a 'hell of a trade in'.

I have been happy with my Honda dealer, Aiken Motorcycles. Victory dealers remain to be seen, but so far I like Coastal Victory (I come to Myrtle Beach often as we have a place there).

dans2015
08-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Run from the Polaris company. PERIOD end of conversation!!!!:icon_twisted:

ths61
08-23-2015, 11:32 AM
... He was told that Indian Corp. does not allow them to reduce the price of the bike but that he would get 'a hell of a trade in for his HD'. Well, he bought it last year used for $15k, new is $25k and book value on it is $19k. They offered him $11k. He passed, kind of upset, not much of a 'hell of a trade in'.

To their credit, they didn't specify who would benefit from the "hell of a trade in". :yikes: