PDA

View Full Version : First road trip . . .

MDG1957
06-25-2015, 08:06 AM
Road down to Charleston, SC from Rockville, MD yesterday - about 9 1/2 hours with stops. This bike is such a pleasure to ride compared to the Yamaha 950 V-star I had before. I have a medium height Clearview windshield with vent, and it was perfect for me at highway speeds of 70-80 mph. I could see over it, but my face shield did not get splattered with bugs at all. The ambient tempurature was running 98-102 degrees, so the vent really was appreciated. Also, I have the Kury console, so could carry a water bottle with a straw to stay hydrated . . . that also worked out quite well. My GoCruise worked acceptably well - about as expected. Once I got used to managing it, it was great to provide throttle hand relief periodically. As with any device that just locks the throttle grip, it was good on I-95 because it is relatively flat. I have the stock seat, and while not hand-in-glove comfortable, it was still very comfortable. I averaged a surprising (to me) 37 mpg on the trip, with a few exhilliarating hole shots getting back on the highway - I thought it would be less. Really reinforced that this bike is a perfect combination of fun to ride and comfortable too.

wjduke
06-25-2015, 08:32 AM
Road down to Charleston, SC from Rockville, MD yesterday - about 9 1/2 hours with stops. This bike is such a pleasure to ride compared to the Yamaha 950 V-star I had before. I have a medium height Clearview windshield with vent, and it was perfect for me at highway speeds of 70-80 mph. I could see over it, but my face shield did not get splattered with bugs at all. The ambient tempurature was running 98-102 degrees, so the vent really was appreciated. Also, I have the Kury console, so could carry a water bottle with a straw to stay hydrated . . . that also worked out quite well. My GoCruise worked acceptably well - about as expected. Once I got used to managing it, it was great to provide throttle hand relief periodically. As with any device that just locks the throttle grip, it was good on I-95 because it is relatively flat. I have the stock seat, and while not hand-in-glove comfortable, it was still very comfortable. I averaged a surprising (to me) 37 mpg on the trip, with a few exhilliarating hole shots getting back on the highway - I thought it would be less. Really reinforced that this bike is a perfect combination of fun to ride and comfortable too.
The kind of experience a future newbie like me wants to hear :yes: