PDA

View Full Version : August issue of Rider Touring bike comparo

opas ride
06-25-2015, 05:26 PM
Interesting view points in this issue on the GW, HD, and Indian Touring rigs...All seemed to have some good points, and also some not-so-good, like the front suspension on the GW which was mentioned in the test....After reading this mag and others, I would be willing to bet some hard cash that Honda is about to re-do the GW to compete with some new-comers....????...Perhaps the release of the F6B and Valkyrie is a good way for Ma Honda is use up the stock of 1800 motors and other in-stock parts getting ready to up-date their Touring rig line up...Only time will tell, but in my opinion, with the Victory Vision, BMW1600GTL, Indian Roadmaster and HD Rushmore models, the boys at Honda need to step up to the plate in the next couple years...Article indicates HD touring rigs out-sell Honda by a margin of 12 to 1.....Only time will tell....Ride safe

racer
06-26-2015, 11:00 AM
...Article indicates HD touring rigs out-sell Honda by a margin of 12 to 1.....Only time will tell....Ride safe

Yup. Don't know if the ratio has changed all that much, but HD tourers and cruisers have always outsold the others.

Any bike night will demonstrate that. Riding what everyone else rides has never been a requirement for me. Never will. .batman-smilie.

Old Ryder
06-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Nobody--but nobody beats Harley at paint or marketing!!!!! NOBODY!

jkelley
06-26-2015, 01:26 PM
Nobody--but nobody beats Harley at paint or marketing!!!!! NOBODY!

+1

shooter
06-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Interesting view points in this issue on the GW, HD, and Indian Touring rigs...All seemed to have some good points, and also some not-so-good, like the front suspension on the GW which was mentioned in the test....After reading this mag and others, I would be willing to bet some hard cash that Honda is about to re-do the GW to compete with some new-comers....????...Perhaps the release of the F6B and Valkyrie is a good way for Ma Honda is use up the stock of 1800 motors and other in-stock parts getting ready to up-date their Touring rig line up...Only time will tell, but in my opinion, with the Victory Vision, BMW1600GTL, Indian Roadmaster and HD Rushmore models, the boys at Honda need to step up to the plate in the next couple years...Article indicates HD touring rigs out-sell Honda by a margin of 12 to 1.....Only time will tell....Ride safe

Harley , slow. Indian , slow and small. Victory , slow. HD sells more but its a cult following. The Honda is faster , handles better , and I think looks better and definitely rides better. HD is a status symbol. I will never buy a product just to say I own one. Most of those HDs never leave their home county.

Retired Army
06-26-2015, 02:08 PM
When Harley builds a smooth, comfortable and quiet motorcycle I will purchase the triked model. I don't see one anywhere close to the horizon.

jkelley
06-26-2015, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't expect any other comments for or against on an F6B web site. I like my Honda, as I did my Harley. Both have good and bad points.
On the road my CVO Road Glide was every bit as smooth as my F6B. My CVO was faster but it has had major work done to it. My Honda I expect to be longer lived and more reliable down the road as it is a proven platform. The Honda does handle better but the CVO for me was much more comfortable for me. I did sell the CVO to be completely honest it was down to the Honda being 2000% easier to keep clean and less maint.
However, the Harley held value way better than the Honda, and as mentioned we wont even go into fit and finish.

F6B1911
06-26-2015, 03:04 PM
However, the Harley held value way better than the Honda, and as mentioned we wont even go into fit and finish.

If Honda wants to stay competitive, they need to NEVER release bike with a paint job like I have on my black F6B.
I just hope that BMW doesn't release the Concept 101, I'd have a hard time not wanting one.

valkmc
06-26-2015, 03:16 PM
If Honda wants to stay competitive, they need to NEVER release bike with a paint job like I have on my black F6B.
I just hope that BMW doesn't release the Concept 101, I'd have a hard time not wanting one.
+1

shooter
06-26-2015, 04:03 PM

I see this comment about the paint. I have to tell you my 2013 Black is almost show quality. When I got it they had it on the showroom. It had scuffs all over it. 3 hrs with Meguiars Ultimate Compound and then some carnauba wax. Its been great ever since.

F6B1911
06-26-2015, 04:27 PM
I see this comment about the paint. I have to tell you my 2013 Black is almost show quality. When I got it they had it on the showroom. It had scuffs all over it. 3 hrs with Meguiars Ultimate Compound and then some carnauba wax. Its been great ever since.

My neighbor's Vespa has a paint job that puts mine to shame.
Honda really should have put a disclaimer on the F6B: "This motorcycle has paint that is not clear coated and will require extensive maintenance and polish."
But, it is the finest bike I've ridden, may just tear it down over next winter and have it re-painted.

shooter
06-26-2015, 09:19 PM
My neighbor's Vespa has a paint job that puts mine to shame.
Honda really should have put a disclaimer on the F6B: "This motorcycle has paint that is not clear coated and will require extensive maintenance and polish."
But, it is the finest bike I've ridden, may just tear it down over next winter and have it re-painted.

F6B I know some of the guys on here talk bad about the paint. I am sure you guys are telling the truth. I don't do anything special to mine. It gets a detail after every ride. That may be extreme to some. Normal to me. My family has been in Autobody Repair since 1964. To say I know good paint is an understatement. As far as appearance I give my black bike a 9.5 simply because nothing is perfect and I'm picky. For me durability has not been an issue. I don't drag my boot across it and I don't lean on it. I treat it like the fine machine it is. I couldnt ask for a better looking bike.

Brian D
06-27-2015, 05:45 AM
Just my 2cents. Although I'm having a hard time getting comfy on this f6. I gotta say it is a great bike BUT the goldwing in general really needs a top to bottom upgrade. look at the numbers on bmw's 1600 compared to hondas 1800. Come on Honda get with the program. iMO if bmw puts out that concept 101 the f6b is done. I also think honda only made the f6 cause they had an ass load of parts sitting around cause they have had the same style wing for how many years now? I sat on a k1600gt and the seat to pegs angle and distance is way more tall guy friendly than my f6 Not to mention the handlebar position also. So if that concept 101 is the same seating position as the k1600 I'm all in!!! And im sure there will be a lot more of me's out there. And don't worry guys I'm sure there will be an aftermarket replacement if that ugly wood grain makes the cut. Bmw didn't bring in Roland Sands to help design that bike for nothing. The concept 101 is right around the bend and if Honda don't shit or get off the pot there precious wing is done when the older generation is done riding (please no disrespect intended). Mother Honda you are already known for your reliable now it's time to move forward and take it to the next level and I'm pretty sure im not the only one who thinks this

jm21ddd15
06-27-2015, 06:15 AM
Just my 2cents. Although I'm having a hard time getting comfy on this f6. I gotta say it is a great bike BUT the goldwing in general really needs a top to bottom upgrade. look at the numbers on bmw's 1600 compared to hondas 1800. Come on Honda get with the program. iMO if bmw puts out that concept 101 the f6b is done. I also think honda only made the f6 cause they had an ass load of parts sitting around cause they have had the same style wing for how many years now? I sat on a k1600gt and the seat to pegs angle and distance is way more tall guy friendly than my f6 Not to mention the handlebar position also. So if that concept 101 is the same seating position as the k1600 I'm all in!!! And im sure there will be a lot more of me's out there. And don't worry guys I'm sure there will be an aftermarket replacement if that ugly wood grain makes the cut. Bmw didn't bring in Roland Sands to help design that bike for nothing. The concept 101 is right around the bend and if Honda don't shit or get off the pot there precious wing is done when the older generation is done riding (please no disrespect intended). Mother Honda you are already known for your reliable now it's time to move forward and take it to the next level and I'm pretty sure im not the only one who thinks this
I looked hard at BMW before I got my 6. Ya, it's got good specs and numbers, but IMO, it's an expensive bike to own and maintain. Dealerships are scarce, parts are expensive, and the valve train needs to be serviced every 5-6k miles, and that means leaving the bike at the dealer overnight, because it has to be done with a cold engine. My closest dealers said it's about a $400 service! Honda dealers are almost everywhere, and while not cheap, but certainly less $$ than BMW. Yes, the Wing does need to be updated, but it still is a fantastic bike! I hear you on the "tall Guy " issue, so in the end, it's up to you.

Jimmytee
06-27-2015, 06:27 AM
When I was considering a new bike, the Beemer was on my list of potentials. It felt decent to sit on, but I was never all that turned on by the looks. They look tall , IMHO the F6B just looks better. Throw in the Honda known reliability , the reports of problems with the Beemers gadgets and such,plus price, well you know. I'd have to see the final product of the Concept 101 if it makes it to production. Don't care for the exhaust look right off the bat though. Like everyone else, I look forward to see what Honda does with the GL line up. It is due for a major change. However, a part of me would be ok if it didn't change much. I want to be happy with my current bike and a change of any magnitude will leave me lusting and wanting again possibly.:banghead: