PDA

View Full Version : Turn your stock windscreen into gold

taxfree4
06-25-2015, 05:28 PM
I was just about to donate my stock windscreen till I saw the MRA X-Creen Tour Bolt-On. I have the Baggershield Adjustable 11" to 19" but even with the top half down there is not enough air coming at me to flow through the mesh jacket to cool off. I have the Baker Air, Hand and Leg Wings but on hot days it still wasn't enough to get to the front of the jacket, where most of the mesh is. I took the Baggershield off and put the stock on but the wind was way too much and makes it practically impossible to hear the radio. This bolt on came with everything you need for a smooth install including a clear stick on template that makes it fool proof. Reduction of noise was significant but because it only takes up a small piece of real estate the wind comes around the edges, when fully up and hits the mesh. There are an infinite amount of adjustable positions to tweak it to your desirable setting. This will be my summer/fall default setup and when the weather gets colder I will go back to the Baggershield. BTW, as far as durability this line of screens has been Autobahn tested and there is a Tour and Sport model and YouTube instruction videos. While I was at it I added a USB charger.

taxfree4
06-25-2015, 05:30 PM
More pics

taxfree4
06-25-2015, 05:32 PM
MRA X-Creen Tour Bol

taxfree4
06-25-2015, 05:35 PM
More pics

cueman
06-25-2015, 05:52 PM
I like it, how much? :popcorn: cueman

BIGLRY
06-25-2015, 06:23 PM
Very interesting, a lot of versatility there. I do see some potential.
I look forward to more reports as you ride, tune and play with it:icon_biggrin:

jm21ddd15
06-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Interesting. Any Idea on $$$?

ths61
06-25-2015, 07:49 PM
Interesting. Any Idea on $$$?

Search Engines are your friend. (https://www.google.com/search?q=MRA+X-Creen+Tour&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=MRA+X-Creen+Tour&tbm=shop)

Old Ryder
06-25-2015, 09:46 PM
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-creen-add-on-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade-clamp-on

There is also a guy on Ebay that sells them.

Another discussion.
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3061-MRA-X-Creen-Tour-Clamp-On-Windshield&highlight=shield

Looking good Tax! I wish I had discovered that early on.

taxfree4
06-26-2015, 12:35 AM
I like it, how much? :popcorn: cueman

Sorry about that, I bought the bolt on so it was $151.00 with 2 Day FedEx from Twisted Throttle. A little expensive but definitely worth it, IMO, since it turned a usually discarded piece of useless plastic into a very versatile and functional part of the bike. I am convinced that no one shield can give you everything, especially in a 4 season environment like NY where within 6 months we went from -20 to 92 degrees so this is the spring/summer/fall setup. I'll see how far into the fall/winter season this will take me. I kept the template and will make the 4 1/4 inch holes on my Baggershield to transfer the MRA over when I reinstall it, in the fall/winter riding season, utilizing it for either extra protection or air diverter depending on the weather. I have the Firstgear Kiliminjaro jacket that has cooling vents on top of the shoulders so this should workout perfect. I took the bike out with the stock screen on without the MRA and with all the turbulence I had to keep the radio at full volume to hear it at highway speed. With the MRA screen the volume was sufficient at 19-22 without the buffeting. It took a couple of adjustments to tweak the screen to the right setting.

Injun Joe
06-26-2015, 11:57 AM
So I'm thrilled! I'm almost certainly going to try this is some configuration -- just have to decide which one. I tend to try and get too much flexibility and ultimately get no one thing I'm truly satisfied with so I want to run my potential options by you. All are based on a "tour" size version.

I've thought about blacking out my stock screen for a long time. To be "safe" as far as going back, I've considered Plasti-Dip so it could be peeled off. I'd like to use the clamp version with it so it could be removed for the short, "fashion" rides. But would Plasti-Dip or really any finish stand up to repeated on/off of the clamp? Maybe I just go drilled and live with it that way, huh? Blacking out the original shield shouldn't give me too poor of a viewing angle, should it? I haven't had the stock shield on since week one so I don't really remember the view. Also I now have a Mustang seat so I sit slightly lower than stock changing the sightline that way too.

98valk
06-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Hey,
I think I found how to get the mounting hardware only. This way one could use the spare shields they have around already. Plus, I might want to try something a bit wider.

Here is a link. Looks like the price is around $65 - don't know about shipping ...

Oops - Just tried checking out. They do not deliver directly to the USA. :icon_frown:

'nother update: Can get these on ebay, but the shipping is more than the item. Time to mull this over ....

https://www.mrashop.de/erp/catalog/navigationPath/1.Sortiment/14.Ersatzteile/4025066132065.html

taxfree4
06-26-2015, 03:46 PM
So I'm thrilled! I'm almost certainly going to try this is some configuration -- just have to decide which one. I tend to try and get too much flexibility and ultimately get no one thing I'm truly satisfied with so I want to run my potential options by you. All are based on a "tour" size version.

I've thought about blacking out my stock screen for a long time. To be "safe" as far as going back, I've considered Plasti-Dip so it could be peeled off. I'd like to use the clamp version with it so it could be removed for the short, "fashion" rides. But would Plasti-Dip or really any finish stand up to repeated on/off of the clamp? Maybe I just go drilled and live with it that way, huh? Blacking out the original shield shouldn't give me too poor of a viewing angle, should it? I haven't had the stock shield on since week one so I don't really remember the view. Also I now have a Mustang seat so I sit slightly lower than stock changing the sightline that way too.

Blacking the stock should not, IMO, hurt any visibility. One question, what about getting some window tint instead of a Plasti-Dip as an experiment so it would be easier to remove in case it doesn't work out. If it does you can go with a more permanent solution. The bolt on version folds all the way down to almost the height of the stock shield so there is no need to keep taking it on and off. You could also lay it flat to bring the air right at you (picture attached). However, if you go with the bolt on try Baggershield as the have a short tinted shield that will hold because the hardware for the shorty screen is plastic, a very hard plastic, so it wouldn't be as harsh.

ths61
06-26-2015, 03:50 PM
FWIW, the opaque black MadStad F6B base is 2" taller in the center than the stock shield.

Injun Joe
06-26-2015, 05:45 PM
Blacking the stock should not, IMO, hurt any visibility. One question, what about getting some window tint instead of a Plasti-Dip as an experiment so it would be easier to remove in case it doesn't work out. If it does you can go with a more permanent solution. The bolt on version folds all the way down to almost the height of the stock shield so there is no need to keep taking it on and off. You could also lay it flat to bring the air right at you (picture attached). However, if you go with the bolt on try Baggershield as the have a short tinted shield that will hold because the hardware for the shorty screen is plastic, a very hard plastic, so it wouldn't be as harsh.

The tint is a fantastic idea! You have the sport and not the tour size pictured correct? I don't like the look of the Baggershield (or the Madstad) at all. Windbender I like OK, but I don't really want to spend that much as I'm not dissatisfied with the short Clearview. It's more an aesthetic thing I'm looking at.

taxfree4
06-26-2015, 05:56 PM
The tint is a fantastic idea! You have the sport and not the tour size pictured correct? I don't like the look of the Baggershield (or the Madstad) at all. Windbender I like OK, but I don't really want to spend that much as I'm not dissatisfied with the short Clearview. It's more an aesthetic thing I'm looking at.

I have the touring pictured, and I think the tint will just work fine.