PDA

View Full Version : Mastad Extra Dark 11" Pics & initial review

stevenolts
06-25-2015, 07:07 PM
I just installed my new Mastad Extra Dark 11" windshield. It looks great from the front but from the drivers seat it may take some time to get used to it. It does offer great wind protection with a little soft breeze to cool you down in this heat. I installed it and made no adjustments up to this point. I am looking completely over the windshield at the original settings. During my 10 min test ride I did hit a few miles of highway at up to 80 - 90 miles an hour with good wind protection. I took my sunglasses off and rode 50 - 60 miles per hour and had no problem for a minute or so and I wear contacts so that would normal be a problem. I think once I get it adjusted I will probably like it better than my F4 Customs 14" windshield. I really had no problems with it I just thought the Mastad might be better with the great reviews.

Does anyone have advice on how I should go about adjustments to make it fit me? I am 5'8" tall with the Mustang seat.
Mastad Extra Dark Tint 11"
F4 Customs 14" med tint

Rudy
06-25-2015, 07:49 PM
I have the same shield and really like it. I have said many times, it's not the sleekest looking shield on the market but the darn thing just works. The one thing I did notice with mine is that I get more turbulence / buffeting when the shield is tilted forward regardless of the height. When it's tilted back following the fairing's lines it's much better. I also thought the brackets might be distracting from the driver's seat but that's not even an issue. I don't even notice them now as I look over the shield. I eventually found the sweet spot and only move it from there on very hot days when I want a little more air. Good luck and enjoy.

SoCal Rich
06-26-2015, 02:32 PM
I just installed my new Mastad Extra Dark 11" windshield. It looks great from the front but from the drivers seat it may take some time to get used to it. It does offer great wind protection with a little soft breeze to cool you down in this heat. I installed it and made no adjustments up to this point. I am looking completely over the windshield at the original settings. During my 10 min test ride I did hit a few miles of highway at up to 80 - 90 miles an hour with good wind protection. I took my sunglasses off and rode 50 - 60 miles per hour and had no problem for a minute or so and I wear contacts so that would normal be a problem. I think once I get it adjusted I will probably like it better than my F4 Customs 14" windshield. I really had no problems with it I just thought the Mastad might be better with the great reviews.

Does anyone have advice on how I should go about adjustments to make it fit me? I am 5'8" tall with the Mustang seat.
Mastad Extra Dark Tint 11"
F4 Customs 14" med tint

From the drivers seat, you will get used to it faster than you might think. Then, you'll love it!

Sierra03
06-26-2015, 08:56 PM
I have the 11 inch and love the adjustability of this shield. If it's hot it's down all the way and leaned way back. If it's raining or cold it's up and pushed forward. I also mounted national cycle air wings on the mirrors. These little units are great to move air across your torso on hot days.

stukatz
06-27-2015, 12:11 PM
I used an angle gauge similar to this one 14902 to accurately find out my 55 and 60 degree angles that madstad recommends. I then used a silver tipped sharpie to mark the brackets at those angles. I made small marks (maybe 1/16 inch) at the top, middle, and bottom of the brackets. This made it so I can easily adjust both sides equally to increase/reduce wind.

bobo
06-30-2015, 08:27 AM
hi steve looking to buy the madstad windshield but not sure wether to get the 11" or 13" shield, sitting on my bike eye level is 19" to see over the windshield measured from the rubber trim to the top of the windshield. At this height the shield cuts down lot of turbulence. Enjoy your shield and looking forward to your feedback............bobo

stevenolts
06-30-2015, 11:21 AM
I am still torn at this time. I have the F4 Customs 14" windshield and I think I like it better up to this point than the Mastad 11" extra dark. I definitely like the look of the dark Mastad better but I think the F4 Custom provides better wind protection.

I have not had time to adjust the windshield yet. It is still in the original factory position. (all the way down top all the way bask) I tried moving the top forward but that caused more wind. If I move the windshield up then I won't be looking over as much and the extra dark will become a factor. I look well over it now and it comes I guess to around my chin height. It works well now the way it is and I have been over 100mph with it this morning. I am still getting used to the extra dark almost blocking the view completely.

I am torn because I love the look. (The reg dark tint may be better but it would not look as good) I think at this point I will use the Mastad for the summer when I want more air. In the winter and maybe on a long trip I will most likely switch back to the F4 Custom. Either way I am going to keep the Mastad and it will be like a fancy dress for my baby to go out on our dates around town. (yes I am in love with my baby)

I will give an update when I have more time to test.
If anyone has any suggestions for how I should adjust the Mastad let me know.
Steve

stevenolts
07-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Overall I highly recommend both the Mastad and the F4 Customs windshields

I would like to give further review of the Mastad Extra Dark 11" windshield after several thousand miles. I still have not modified the original position (all the way down and all the way back) I really like the feel of the light air over the top. If anything I find myself wishing I could lower it. I have ridden at high speeds (80 mph -100 mph) for hours and loved its protection while still looking completely over the windshield.

Positives:

It looks fantastic on the bike.

It offers great wind protection with no buffeting. (It even stops a light rain)

You still get a light breeze of fluffy air to keep you cool.

You can look completely over it with no buffeting (I have it at chin level and wish it was lower)

Negatives:

I ordered the extra dark and you can't see through it at night (not a problem because it is below my chin level)

One thing that could be a down fall is if you are in a heavy rain or hail. It does not allow you to tuck in behind it. (I did not have my Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer helmet with full face shield so that most likely will not be an issue with the full face shield.)

It may take time to get used to the shield (I was torn originally between this and my F4 Customs windshield) I now love the Mastad windshield.

Additional comments

I may end up using the Mastad for the spring, summer, and fall and then switch back to my F4 Customs with vent for the winter for added wind protection to help stay warmer during the extreme cold weather. But I will not know for sure until I switch it back if I really will like it better than the Mastad for cold weather. Again they may both have their place in my collection of gear.