PDA

View Full Version : Original Valkyrie vs current Valk/F6B

Davidk
07-01-2015, 03:49 PM
I owned one of the original Valks and only kept it a year because I never felt comfortable in terms of handling. I recently got back into riding and bought a F6b which I love. I rode lots of different bikes before making my decision. I rode both the F6B and the new Valk and found their ride to be the same-great. For the longest time, I thought that I didnt like the orig Valk because it was too big for me as I am only 5'4", but the new version makes me think it was something else.

What is it about the old Valk and I didnt like and what was changed on the new version to make handling easier?

powercruzer13
07-01-2015, 08:08 PM
Smaller front tire, fuel carried low instead of high & towards the front, aluminum frame with a decades worth of tech advancements, EFI & a bigger engine.
My thinking as a 9 year multi Valkyrie ex-owner. :yes:

Loved my Valks but the "B" is a good leap forward. :biggthumpup:

Davidk
07-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Interesting. After my previous Valk experience, I thought I wanted (needed) a smaller bike. When I was shopping and test driving, I kept choosing bigger and bigger bikes. I was never thrilled with the ride until the F6B. I was more comfortable on the F6B in 10 mins than I was in a year on my orig Valk.

This was my old Valk:

valkmc
07-01-2015, 08:20 PM
I owned one of the original Valks and only kept it a year because I never felt comfortable in terms of handling. I recently got back into riding and bought a F6b which I love. I rode lots of different bikes before making my decision. I rode both the F6B and the new Valk and found their ride to be the same-great. For the longest time, I thought that I didnt like the orig Valk because it was too big for me as I am only 5'4", but the new version makes me think it was something else.

What is it about the old Valk and I didnt like and what was changed on the new version to make handling easier?
I still remember the day I rode out of the dealership with my 98 Valk. It was at the time a very unique bike. I test rode the new Valkyrie when I bought the F6. Not for me. I wish Honda had kept some of the style of the original!. It was named cruiser of the decade by Cruiser magazine for the 90’s. If Honda had made a Valk with the F6 motor upgraded the handling and kept the styling I would be riding it!

Davidk
07-01-2015, 08:27 PM
I still remember the day I rode out of the dealership with my 98 Valk. It was at the time a very unique bike. I test rode the new Valkyrie when I bought the F6. Not for me. I wish Honda had kept some of the style of the original!. It was named cruiser of the decade by Cruiser magazine for the 90’s. If Honda had made a Valk with the F6 motor upgraded the handling and kept the styling I would be riding it!

When you say, "not for me" did you mean styling or ride?

I'm confused. Isn't the current Valk the same frame and motor as the F6B and full Wing?

shortleg0521
07-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Interesting. After my previous Valk experience, I thought I wanted (needed) a smaller bike. When I was shopping and test driving, I kept choosing bigger and bigger bikes. I was never thrilled with the ride until the F6B. I was more comfortable on the F6B in 10 mins than I was in a year on my orig Valk.

This was my old Valk:

Felt the same way as you,I felt that at 66 I needed a smaller bike.
At one of the Valkerie rallies I rode a members F6B and it got me wondering
if I was right.
I got myself a smoking hot deal on a 2013 and just love this bike.
I had to , like any bike make it fit me.
Had to install mc cruise and seat some lights and such. Well I just road 5000 miles
to South Dakota and found that I was so much more rested than when I would do
trips like this on my ols Interstate.
Now mind you the old Valk was a super bike and I loved it.
But the new bikes are so much easier to handle.
shortleg

Jimmytee
07-02-2015, 08:51 AM
I have had tow original Valkyries,including my current one. They are different animals for sure. My Valkyries have always seemed to handle just fine and have ridden them pretty aggressively. That being said, there is no denying that my F6B is far and away a better handling machine. Neither of my Valkyries have been Interstates though. My current Valkyrie does have a Woody's fairing and bags, but I still think it is a little less top heavy than an Interstate.

Steve 0080
07-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Get in the gym !!! Strength is the last thing to go.... I surely miss my Valk !!!!!!

valkmc
07-02-2015, 03:59 PM

I'm confused. Isn't the current Valk the same frame and motor as the F6B and full Wing?

Styling mostly plus I view the new Valk as a one person bike. If I owned another one person bike it would be a C-14.

15008. This is a pic of my 98 just before I sold it. 13 years old and 90k on the clock.

powercruzer13
07-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Styling mostly plus I view the new Valk as a one person bike. If I owned another one person bike it would be a C-14.

15008. This is a pic of my 98 just before I sold it. 13 years old and 90k on the clock.

I remember that Valk! :yes:

Remember this one? :icon_biggrin:

powercruzer13
07-02-2015, 08:10 PM

I agree with valkmc, the new Valk is uhh... visually challenged... Besides I/we needed baggers & two up capability for our style of riding. We can ride our own bikes with twice the carrying capacity then two up once we get to our destination if so desired.

I think the new Valk has a slightly hotter engine plus less weight {before adding bags & w/s in needed} but otherwise has close to the same structure as the F6B & GW. Kind of the point by Honda to make 3 different models out of the same platform a'la Harley Davidson. Smart thinking.:yes:

Wmorgan2k
07-02-2015, 09:02 PM
Yes the new Valkyrie is the same frame, engine, drivetrain as the F6B and the GoldWing. It does have a beefier front fork, larger front and I think rear tire. Powerwise it's the same but of course being almost 200lbs lighter than a wing it does move out quite nicely. It does have a fantastic ride.

The looks weren't meant for the "older" crowd. It was meant to pull in the younger rider group for sure and that they have succeeded on. All the younger folks love the bike and the looks, as do I. it looks mean for sure. The older more traditionalist don't seem to like it very much but then again Honda wasn't targeting them... I have one, I love it and it is just as smooth and awesome to ride as my Wing and "B".

Davidk
07-02-2015, 09:25 PM
I really like the look of the new Valkyrie, but i needed saddlebags and was afraid it would destroy its looks so I opted for the F6C

shooter
07-02-2015, 09:36 PM
If I was just going to ride solo I would buy the Valk in a second. IF ..... I didn't have an M109R. That Valk is ugly. When it comes to looks nothing in my mind beats a chromed out 9. That Valk would be a real cornering machine though. The lighter weight would really help.

valkmc
07-02-2015, 09:37 PM
I remember that Valk! :yes:

Remember this one? :icon_biggrin:
Yea I remember that one, they were great bikes in their day. I had tons of fun on mine!