PDA

View Full Version : Extra Gas Option

taxfree4
07-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Needed extra fuel, as a precaution, on a ride the other day and I don't like putting gas inside a saddlebag. Had this mini plastic box laying around and with a couple of bungee cords strapped it down between the crash bar and the rear foot peg. Gets plenty of air and stays in place with no problem.

stroguy
07-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Reminds me of Peter O'Toole in 'Murphy's War'. Looks rigged to me and looks very functional and smart. Good work. Could you balance that out with a container of frozen margarita and a long straw on the other side?

taxfree4
07-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Reminds me of Peter O'Toole in 'Murphy's War'. Looks rigged to me and looks very functional and smart. Good work. Could you balance that out with a container of frozen margarita and a long straw on the other side?

Make it a Maker's Mark and it's a deal. I like the idea of the basket as opposed to a box for the simple reason of air flow. And when I picked up a couple of things at the store I just plunked it in there instead of opening the saddle bag. It's a poor man's mini tour pak

Wisenheimer
07-02-2015, 05:03 PM
No offense Sir but that is ridiculous....if you go down and one spark you will be a fireball.

taxfree4
07-02-2015, 05:30 PM
No offense Sir but that is ridiculous....if you go down and one spark you will be a fireball.

And if I get T-boned on that side it could burst into flames, however, if I'm on the bike I could get hit by a car and if I don't walk out of my house I may not get hit by a bus and if I get rear-ended in my car with 19 gallons of fuel it could explode, I tend not to live life with what ifs. Anyway, youd better hurry it seems to be catching on, no offense taken.

shooter
07-02-2015, 09:38 PM
Tax don't care if he burns. He's badazz. Ride on brother.

taxfree4
07-03-2015, 12:57 AM
If I was young, single with a boat load of money maybe I'd be worried, I'm on marriage #3 so I could probably ride through heavy roadwork at 90 m.p.h. with two saddlebags full of nitro-glycerin while smoking a cigar and nothing would happen. Thanks to the prayers and wishes of both my ex-wives and the witches that gave birth to them, God had enough pity on their husbands to take them first, my death will not be that quick or painless, but I'm not bitter.

BadDawg
07-04-2015, 02:22 AM
This was my solution.

taxfree4
07-04-2015, 11:22 AM
This was my solution.

That looks great ... what is it?

taxfree4
07-04-2015, 02:03 PM
This was my solution.

I finally saw the title, pony tank, that is a great idea. I don't do that much long distance and mostly travel on main roads where gas is abundant so that would be a little overkill for me. This was just a unique situation where I mapped out the route and saw that the gas maybe a little too spread out for me. As I get older I get less daring and this was a temporary solution, I'm sure now that you posted that it will definitely help others, thank you.

BadDawg
07-04-2015, 06:01 PM
I had it on my VTX for IronButts. I just moved it over and went a little more elaborate. I don't worry about running out, it's all about time. Stopping for gas takes time.

ths61
07-04-2015, 08:08 PM
I had it on my VTX for IronButts. I just moved it over and went a little more elaborate. I don't worry about running out, it's all about time. Stopping for gas takes time.

Who much extra fuel does hit hold ?

BadDawg
07-04-2015, 08:50 PM
The tank is rated at 3.5 gls. The most I've squeezed in 3.3. And if you pack it full it will start to vent as it warms up in very short order. Usally after 15 miles or so I move a little bit over.

dickiedeals
07-05-2015, 10:12 AM
I searched and searched but I cannot find the photo of me riding across the desert during the 1970's gas shortage. On a 1969 Sportster 900 with two 5 gal cans bungee'd on. Back then if you didn't carry extra gas and water you would become buzzard food. It wasn't unusual to ride 200 miles without a gas station........Dickie

Brian D
07-05-2015, 04:43 PM
I searched and searched but I cannot find the photo of me riding across the desert during the 1970's gas shortage. On a 1969 Sportster 900 with two 5 gal cans bungee'd on. Back then if you didn't carry extra gas and water you would become buzzard food. It wasn't unusual to ride 200 miles without a gas station........Dickie

gas shortage? I'm gonna have to google that one lol!!

ths61
07-05-2015, 05:57 PM

https://startthinkingright.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/carter-gas-line.pnghttp://renewablebook.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/gas-shortage-1979.png1504915050

dickiedeals
07-05-2015, 06:38 PM

Yes Sir I said gas shortage. You were only allowed 5 gallons at a time. They went by your tag number, odds went on a certain day, evens on another. You would had to take a day off work to sit in the gas line to get your 5 gallons gas to get back and forth to work...I actually witnessed someone get shot dead for cutting in a gas line. There were a lot of people carpooling because of the lack of gas.. Obviously if you are unaware of the 70's gas shortage then you must be much younger than I am. Please do Google it..................Dickie

BIGLRY
07-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Yes Sir I said gas shortage. You were only allowed 5 gallons at a time. They went by your tag number, odds went on a certain day, evens on another. You would had to take a day off work to sit in the gas line to get your 5 gallons gas to get back and forth to work...I actually witnessed someone get shot dead for cutting in a gas line. There were a lot of people carpooling because of the lack of gas.. Obviously if you are unaware of the 70's gas shortage then you must be much younger than I am. Please do Google it..................DickieI worked at a Union 76 refinery for 2 years during the 70s. We had armed guards around the place to stop hijackers who were ripping the tanker trucks off once they would leave our facility.
I remember when gas hit $1 a gallon :yikes: I sold my meridian turquoise 68 Pontiac Firebird, 350ci 4-Speed (see pic) and bought a VW bug....humm... wish I had that Firebird back now, the guy I sold it to totaled it two weeks later, I loved that car.:banghead:

http://www.scottlewisonline.com/images/68_firebird_vinyl_roof_1.jpg

shooter
07-05-2015, 08:43 PM
I worked at a Union 76 refinery for 2 years during the 70s. We had armed guards around the place to stop hijackers who were ripping the tanker trucks off once they would leave our facility.
I remember when gas hit $1 a gallon :yikes: I sold my meridian turquoise 68 Pontiac Firebird, 350ci 4-Speed (see pic) and bought a VW bug....humm... wish I had that Firebird back now, the guy I sold it to totaled it two weeks later, I loved that car.:banghead:

http://www.scottlewisonline.com/images/68_firebird_vinyl_roof_1.jpg

Dickie in our neck if the woods we didn't even get that. You sat in line and when the station ran out you went home. I was using Mt car as a tanker. I would fill it up then siphon it out and put it in my CB750. At that time I was commuting 100 miles a day. 2 gallons on the bike versus 5 in the car. The gas shortage era was rough.

choptop
07-06-2015, 04:49 AM
I had purchased these (2) little gas cylinders from a Harley shop many years ago. never used them. Took them on the Yellowstone trip. One off our guys ran out of gas, it's not always their when you need it in the Dakota's. went to the next wayside and tried to figure out what to do, was a camper their, all they had was a 3' piece of coaxial for a stereo, we pulled the wire out of the center, fun, siphoned gas out into the two containers and ran it the mile back to him. :icon_wink:

wolf
07-06-2015, 07:32 AM
If I was young, single with a boat load of money maybe I'd be worried, I'm on marriage #3 so I could probably ride through heavy roadwork at 90 m.p.h. with two saddlebags full of nitro-glycerin while smoking a cigar and nothing would happen. Thanks to the prayers and wishes of both my ex-wives and the witches that gave birth to them, God had enough pity on their husbands to take them first, my death will not be that quick or painless, but I'm not bitter.

tax you made me laugh-i like the way you think.....

dickiedeals
07-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Yes Sir I said gas shortage. You were only allowed 5 gallons at a time. They went by your tag number, odds went on a certain day, evens on another. You would had to take a day off work to sit in the gas line to get your 5 gallons gas to get back and forth to work...I actually witnessed someone get shot dead for cutting in a gas line. There were a lot of people carpooling because of the lack of gas.. Obviously if you are unaware of the 70's gas shortage then you must be much younger than I am. Please do Google it..................Dickie

fxdl2051
07-07-2015, 05:30 AM
And if I get T-boned on that side it could burst into flames, however, if I'm on the bike I could get hit by a car and if I don't walk out of my house I may not get hit by a bus and if I get rear-ended in my car with 19 gallons of fuel it could explode, I tend not to live life with what ifs. Anyway, youd better hurry it seems to be catching on, no offense taken.
Friend of mine took the motorcycle mounted cans on his trip to Alaska, where gas stations are few and far between. He didn't burst into flames but he did need that extra gas on occasion.