PDA

View Full Version : How hot do you feel on the F6B when riding on a very hot summer day?

bikerdoc1500
07-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Do you feel the heat similarly on an F6B as you do on a Gold Wing 1800 with Air Wings, air deflectors?

In the Atlanta area with the temps into the 90's or higher, I can't stand to ride the Gold Wing. I then ride the VTX. I am just wondering if the F6B rider gets real hot in high temps, as on the Gold Wing. I would assume so, since the fairing is similar. I just want to check before selling both the VTX and Gold Wing to get an F6B.

BIGLRY
07-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Do you feel the heat similarly on an F6B as you do on a Gold Wing 1800 with Air Wings, air deflectors?

In the Atlanta area with the temps into the 90's or higher, I can't stand to ride the Gold Wing. I then ride the VTX. I am just wondering if the F6B rider gets real hot in high temps, as on the Gold Wing. I would assume so, since the fairing is similar. I just want to check before selling both the VTX and Gold Wing to get an F6B.
I can't say about the Goldwing, but I do ride an X with a Windvest and a F6B with Baker hand wings and a very tall shield. The F is warmer of course than the X due to the faring, but I can control the air some what with the hand wings and I'm sure someone will pipe up about a shield with a vent as I don't have one on my F.

XHarley
07-03-2015, 05:15 PM
Just had this conversation yesterday with a gentleman who owns a 1997 Goldwing 1500. He was trying to tell me how great the Baker wings are and that I really needed to add them to my F6B. I told him that with the stock short windshield I have no heat problems and would not want to alter the look of the F6B with the add on Baker wings.

I have never owned a full Goldwing but I can compare the F6B to a Harley Super Glide, Street Glide and Road King and the F6B is much cooler to ride than any of the Harleys.

Ride safe and stay cool.

X

stroguy
07-03-2015, 05:40 PM
This is summer one with the F6B. I have an 11" Baggershield with Baker Handwings. I have 5 days of riding in mid 90's with the wings and I can say this bike is no warmer than my unshielded Yammy that I drove for 3 South Texas summers. I like the wings, just takes a bit of work getting the tension right on the locknut so they stay put during high speed flights. I did have the throttle side adjusted to handle 75MPH but the clutch side needed more tightening. Accomplished the clutch side but this afternoon the throttle side could not handle a little joint at 90+. Gave her another crank when I got home.

bikerdoc1500
07-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Just had this conversation yesterday with a gentleman who owns a 1997 Goldwing 1500. He was trying to tell me how great the Baker wings are and that I really needed to add them to my F6B. I told him that with the stock short windshield I have no heat problems and would not want to alter the look of the F6B with the add on Baker wings.

I have never owned a full Goldwing but I can compare the F6B to a Harley Super Glide, Street Glide and Road King and the F6B is much cooler to ride than any of the Harleys.

Ride safe and stay cool.

X

It is? Good to know. And those Harley's do not have full fairings do they? Hard to believe the F6B is cooler.

edgeman55
07-03-2015, 08:35 PM
I have the 19"vented Baggershield with the Baker hand wings and can control the airflow pretty good with both.I really like having the vent on the windshield it really helps get some good air flow and does help a little with buffeting.Been in 105 degree days as of late and these two things have made the heat bearable-that and lots of H2O stops.

Steve 0080
07-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Air temp is air temp.... here in Orlando yesterday the air temp was 97*...it was hot!!! This is the time of year I begin to only ride at night!!!

shooter
07-03-2015, 08:58 PM
When its hot its hot. The B is no hotter than my M109R. Remember you are straddling 1832 cc's. If you feel the heat is oppressive then don't ride. Some people have a higher tolerance for heat. Learn how to manage heat. I stood in front if a blast furnace for 10 years. That was a long time ago. It taught me how to manage heat. Early morning rides are the key. Daylight to Noon. Wear fabric that breathes. Thin cotton. Mesh coat. Helmet that is well vented. Hydrate , hydrate , hydrate. Stay out of city traffic on hot days. I work out in the heat about 50 hrs a week. If you live in AC , and work in AC then the weekend rides in the heat are a little tougher. Sorry to ramble , hope this helps a little.

XHarley
07-03-2015, 09:42 PM
It is? Good to know. And those Harley's do not have full fairings do they? Hard to believe the F6B is cooler.

Yes, the engine heat off the Harleys in the summer makes them unbearable when it is in the 90's during the day. I think that the short stock windshield on the F6B helps as it has the air flow hitting me at the face level and this seems to make it feel cooler. A taller windshield with a vent would probably be about the same but as someone else mentioned when the air-temp outside is hot, it is hot on a motorcycle.

Ride safe.

X

bikerdoc1500
07-03-2015, 11:04 PM
All your opinions have been great and I really appreciate the replies. When it is this hot, I do manage my riding times and do hydrate a lot. I keep my skin covered and have mesh gloves and a jacket. Years ago, after riding with only a black mesh jacket, I finally bought a light grey mesh also. Makes a big difference. In the high 60's to mid 70's, I will wear the black mesh. Warmer than that, the grey mesh jacket.

BadDawg
07-04-2015, 01:50 AM
Depends on your definition of hot. With the stock shield I've done a few hours at about 100. I was just as comfortable as I am on my VTX with no shield. On the other hand I've been on the VTX pushing 120 in AZ and it felt like I had a hair dryer on my knuckles.

bikerdoc1500
07-04-2015, 06:51 PM
Depends on your definition of hot. With the stock shield I've done a few hours at about 100. I was just as comfortable as I am on my VTX with no shield. On the other hand I've been on the VTX pushing 120 in AZ and it felt like I had a hair dryer on my knuckles.

Good to know. My Gold Wing is incredibly hotter than my VTX, both with a standard size windshield. And with Baker Air Wings on the Gold Wing.

Atlanta humidity is very high. Most days we have rides with temps nearing 100, we usually get back home by 2 or 3:00. before the hottest part of the day.

Bruce B
07-04-2015, 07:39 PM
I frequently ride in very warm weather and find that, all other things being equal, wearing a LD Comfort base layer is a great help. Worn with a non-mesh jacket and used per instructions, the shirt functions a bit like a swamp cooler and I can ride in hot conditions in comfort. Early this week, I rode for about and hour and a half at temps starting out at 102 and rising to 107. It wasn't a ride I made by choice. I got warm but it wasn't bad. If I had taken the time to wet the shirt, it would have been even better. I also wore the LD Comfort long johns for this ride. At those temps, the sun can feel extremely hot on the tops of the legs and the long johns solve that issue. I don't know how well they'd work in areas of very high humidity. I think there's good reason why the Iron Butt guys like LD Comfort so much.

bikerdoc1500
07-04-2015, 10:25 PM
I frequently ride in very warm weather and find that, all other things being equal, wearing a LD Comfort base layer is a great help. Worn with a non-mesh jacket and used per instructions, the shirt functions a bit like a swamp cooler and I can ride in hot conditions in comfort. Early this week, I rode for about and hour and a half at temps starting out at 102 and rising to 107. It wasn't a ride I made by choice. I got warm but it wasn't bad. If I had taken the time to wet the shirt, it would have been even better. I also wore the LD Comfort long johns for this ride. At those temps, the sun can feel extremely hot on the tops of the legs and the long johns solve that issue. I don't know how well they'd work in areas of very high humidity. I think there's good reason why the Iron Butt guys like LD Comfort so much.

Thanks for the great information.

BobR
07-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Ditto to riding in the morning or evening, especially here in Florida. I have a Madstad windshield. It is not the best looking as far as form but the function is great. When it is hot I drop it down and it acts just like the stock short windshield and allows airflow to hit my upper body and help with cooling. When I hit the highway I raise it back up and it is great. I don't get any wind buffeting me. Harley's are air cooled bikes which run at about twice the temperature of a water cooled bike. Having highway pegs helps too as putting your feet out help to funnel the wind up from the bottom. The full fairing with the Madstad is so great @ highway speeds. It makes the bike so much more stable and it is nice to be able to hear the Stereo too.

dickiedeals
07-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Here in Florida this time of year when its 97 degrees. You ad traffic heat, its like riding in a blast furnace..I mainly ride after dark with caution because you have to worry about Deer running you over and many animals in the roadway like Aligators etc.'riding'.......Dickie

Old Ryder
07-05-2015, 02:24 PM
http://www.cyclegear.com/HEAT-OUT-Base-Layer-Crew-Neck-Tee

When it is very humid and you sweat a lot, the heat out undershirt works great while you are moving and the hand wings are putting air on you. Even hot air makes you cool in these when you are sweating.

dickiedeals
07-05-2015, 06:51 PM
http://www.cyclegear.com/HEAT-OUT-Base-Layer-Crew-Neck-Tee

When it is very humid and you sweat a lot, the heat out undershirt works great while you are moving and the hand wings are putting air on you. Even hot air makes you cool in these when you are sweating.

Can't seem to find them in extra fat boy size..I guess they must tink only small skinny guys ride Motorcycles........................Dickie

mike2000t
07-05-2015, 08:47 PM
I live just up the road from you near Greenville, SC. I have a 17" screen with a vent - the vent does not do much. It's hot on the highway on the way home with an air temp of 97, but that is summer in the south, so I just deal with it as best I can. Even on my old Shadow with a windscreen, it was still as hot on the highway as the 6.

I am thinking about putting the stock shield on for the summer, but I do like the rain protection, and with the afternoon storms, it's worth the heat. Plus, most of the engine heat goes around my leg anyway - I feel some of it, but it's not too awful.

All in all, I still like riding better than driving, even in the heat.

Bruce B
07-06-2015, 12:10 AM
Ditto to riding in the morning or evening, especially here in Florida. I have a Madstad windshield. It is not the best looking as far as form but the function is great. When it is hot I drop it down and it acts just like the stock short windshield and allows airflow to hit my upper body and help with cooling. When I hit the highway I raise it back up and it is great. I don't get any wind buffeting me. Harley's are air cooled bikes which run at about twice the temperature of a water cooled bike. Having highway pegs helps too as putting your feet out help to funnel the wind up from the bottom. The full fairing with the Madstad is so great @ highway speeds. It makes the bike so much more stable and it is nice to be able to hear the Stereo too.

+1 on the Madstad. I have the #2 Madstad to be installed on an F6B and it ended my search for a windshield.

racer
07-10-2015, 01:42 PM

Hard to believe?

Most bikes are "cool" when moving. The test is sitting still.

Where are the pipes on a vtwin? Where are the pipes on the 6? The 6 is cooler sitting at a long traffic light on a very hot day and it isn't even close.

Brian D
07-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Hard to believe?

Most bikes are "cool" when moving. The test is sitting still.

Where are the pipes on a vtwin? Where are the pipes on the 6? The 6 is cooler sitting at a long traffic light on a very hot day and it isn't even close.

Strongly disagree!! heat rises!!!! This bike is not cooler than a v twin. This bike moving is actually hotter than the last bike I had

ths61
07-10-2015, 03:08 PM
Roasted nut shields. Some HD's drop down to 1 cylinder to lessen the heat issues when stopped.

1517115172http://shop.captain-itch.com/media/deeAnn3(1).jpg

It looks like HD is finally recognizing the benefits of liquid cooling:

"... However, more crucial than the technical intriciacies of Harley's "Precision Liquid Cooling Strategy" is the question of why they chose to break tradition on the occasion of their 110th anniversary. Contrary to rumors that regulatory restrictions are pushing motorcycle manufacturers to ditch oil and air cooling, Harley insists the move came in response to their extensive customer feedback program (dubbed "Project Rushmore"), which culled data from over 20 focus groups in the U.S. and Europe. Riders, it turns out, don't like crotch-melting heat (go figure), and cooling the cylinder heads (in much the same way that BMW's newest R1200GS does) enables a modicum of thermal management without requiring a giant radiator to be bolted ahead of the engine. ..."

Why Did Harley-Davidson Break 110 Years of Tradition with Liquid Cooling? (http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/motorcycles/a3148/liquid-cooled-harley-engines-for-2014/)

http://pop.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/05/54ca6000c241d_-_harley-engine-600.jpg

jkelley
07-10-2015, 03:25 PM
All of the Harleys I ever had were a heck of a lot hotter than this F6B! Especially the soft tails with the oil bag right under your ass.

But heat is relative, I prefer to ride in every season except summer. Yesterday it was 93 and I was suffering in town. On the road moving it feels like a blast furnace, more of the same today for the ride home from work... I am waiting on the fall for the real good riding....

No Handle Sam
07-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Strongly disagree!! heat rises!!!! This bike is not cooler than a v twin. This bike moving is actually hotter than the last bike I had

This is an interesting debate. It has been my experience that the F6B is indeed much cooler then my Street Glide when sitting still. But the Harley "feels cooler" then the Honda at speed on a hot day. The only thing that I can think to account for this is the fact that the full fairing on the Honda allows your legs to tuck in behind the lower part of the fairing blocking the air from hitting your legs. Where as on the Harley that space is open allowing the full rush of air to hit you right in the knees. Just a thought. :shrug: But I can tell you that I rode the Street Glide back to Atlanta from Colorado late last year when most of the lower half of the country was suffering from a bitter cold spell... so much so that I made a stop (in Oklahoma I think?) to buy these...

http://hondaf6b.com/asset.php?fid=11568&uid=4022&d=1436562021

Man what a difference!!!

ths61
07-10-2015, 04:15 PM
The lowers on the Vision looked like an afterthought, but could either add a lot of air or remove a lot of air when underway.

1951vbs
07-11-2015, 03:31 PM
I told him that with the stock short windshield I have no heat problems and would not want to alter the look of the F6B with the add on Baker wings.

+1 But it only really works when your moving.

Paul B Blues
07-12-2015, 04:23 AM
Unfortunately this is NEVER going to be an issue for me 'windy':rainyday:'freezing-cold'

Donncat
07-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Rode home from Tampa to Sarasota yesterday and it hit 98 on the way. I don't care what you do, it's too dang hot to ride like that. :yikes:

opas ride
07-12-2015, 04:29 PM
I agree with the above post..I don't care what you ride on any hot and humid day as it will generally not be much fun...As one gets older the heat and humidity can have a very negative effect on an enjoyable ride...I find my F6B much cooler than some of my other bikes, but when it gets over 80 degrees and 65% humidity in Michigan it can get pretty nasty, especially in traffic....JMHO

Greg O
07-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Honda has everything else on there Wings including heat vents, why not A/C too. I'm sure the full wings will have it some day. Heck they have a air bag now, still trying to figure out how that works.

Greg O
07-12-2015, 04:49 PM
They have cooling clothing with a ice chest and a pump. Seen it on Cruiseman garage.

BIGLRY
07-12-2015, 05:33 PM
Honda has everything else on there Wings including heat vents, why not A/C too. I'm sure the full wings will have it some day. Heck they have a air bag now, still trying to figure out how that works.

Yea for now you have to settle for an aftermarket air conditioning system if ya want one on your scoot.
http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2010/01/28/d6a98366-fdba-11e2-8c7c-d4ae52e62bcc/resize/620x/be566391f85b0ba1cd97c61107ca0150/entrosys2_500x306.jpg
http://entrosys.com/

https://youtu.be/1tWzELz66wM
Here is the non-economy model
http://www.pierfamily.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/motorcycle-load-air-conditioner-cropped-dec-2007.jpg:yikes:

hgslayr
07-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Rode in shorts today in 90 degree weather and my rear was melting ...Possibly from polyester type material that doesnt breathe well...Maybe cotton would be better with the limited air flow with a fairing and windshield..Not going to add air wings at this point until I ride it some more..

BobR
07-12-2015, 08:33 PM
All of the Harleys I ever had were a heck of a lot hotter than this F6B! Especially the soft tails with the oil bag right under your ass.

But heat is relative, I prefer to ride in every season except summer. Yesterday it was 93 and I was suffering in town. On the road moving it feels like a blast furnace, more of the same today for the ride home from work... I am waiting on the fall for the real good riding....

At least in Western NC you can go up in altitiude. I am headed up that way Tuesday. Hopefully the Blue Ridge is cooler than North Central Florida.

jkelley
07-13-2015, 06:09 AM
At least in Western NC you can go up in altitiude. I am headed up that way Tuesday. Hopefully the Blue Ridge is cooler than North Central Florida.

Yes sir, you can. But the heat in getting there is something I have tried to avoid. At over 90 degrees and basically 100% humidity I think I'll park mine and ride to work in the AC. I'll see you all on the road when summer is ending.

53driver
07-13-2015, 12:36 PM
If you start getting warm...go faster and let evaporative cooling work!

Mastergunny
07-13-2015, 02:43 PM
I just road from Ridgecrest CA, (Mohave desert) to Bloomington, IN, via Las Vegas, Grand Junction, Hays KS, KC MO, St Louis, etc.

It was anywhere from 95 to 106 most of the way. I did not experience any heat increase discomfort from the bike at all. My temp gauge stayed smack in the middle the whole way. (even as I stopped to talk with a group of Harley riders that were stopped at a overlook in Utah who were allowing their bikes to cool and their legs to do likewise.). I wore a cooling vest when going across NV and UT. Kansas was just as hot but to humid for the vest to help much. Drank lots of water, road as early in the morning as possible and shut it down by 4 or 5 pm. 2,010 miles in three days. Yes my fan did kick on when I was in traffic in town. It did not kick on at all on the highways.

One word: FLAWLESS PERFORMANCE (ok, two words)