PDA

View Full Version : How not to spontaneously combust

fxdl2051
07-03-2015, 09:53 PM
Gawd, 90 F and my PNW candy striped butt is melting to the seat somewhere between Carnation and heat exhaustion. So the water soaked bandanna isn't cutting it. I had a product from Techwear that is a water absorbing vest that I had never worn in the saddlebag. Time to try, soaked it and then poured a bottle of water over my t shirt and put it on. Instant Honda Swamp Cooler.
It lowered the temp at least 15 degrees in the shaddy side of the ride. I was very comfortable instead of cooking. This is now a must have on all my summer/simmer road trips.

BadDawg
07-04-2015, 02:04 AM
I'm loving this heat. Headed to ocean shores tomorrow. Will be a little cooler out there.

53driver
07-04-2015, 09:56 PM
Rode over 200 miles Fri/Sat on the Harley in the NW Florida heat & humidity.
ATG-ATT.
Mesh jackets are AWESOME!
The stop-n-go traffic for 35 minutes in Ft Walton Beach was definitely beyond warm.
Harley is going to need 20-50W down here.
F6B is still in Philly - gonna ride her down here on the next trip.

Old Ryder
07-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Gawd, 90 F and my PNW candy striped butt is melting to the seat somewhere between Carnation and heat exhaustion. So the water soaked bandanna isn't cutting it. I had a product from Techwear that is a water absorbing vest that I had never worn in the saddlebag. Time to try, soaked it and then poured a bottle of water over my t shirt and put it on. Instant Honda Swamp Cooler.
It lowered the temp at least 15 degrees in the shaddy side of the ride. I was very comfortable instead of cooking. This is now a must have on all my summer/simmer road trips.

You poor Northwest folks. :icon_lol: Come on down to the Southeast. We are begging for some 90 degree days.:icon_mrgreen:

I have discovered that a "Wick It" helmet liner and heat out http://www.cyclegear.com/HEAT-OUT-Base-Layer-Crew-Neck-Tee undershirt does help a lot.

dickiedeals
07-05-2015, 07:00 PM
I would love to be able to ride in our 90 plus heat here in Florida........................Dickie.nothing.to.s dd.

fxdl2051
07-05-2015, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=Old Ryder;86806]You poor Northwest folks. :icon_lol: Come on down to the Southeast. We are begging for some 90 degree days.:icon_mrgreen:

Well in all fairness, I used to live in Tampa. By around 90F I would hang it up, didn't matter how fast I went at those temps, the humidity just wouldn't let you be. But the smell of orange blossoms in the Spring and those spectacular Gulf coast sunsets, those were memories worth keeping.

shooter
07-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Rode over 200 miles Fri/Sat on the Harley in the NW Florida heat & humidity.
ATG-ATT.
Mesh jackets are AWESOME!
The stop-n-go traffic for 35 minutes in Ft Walton Beach was definitely beyond warm.
Harley is going to need 20-50W down here.
F6B is still in Philly - gonna ride her down here on the next trip.

That mesh gear keeps the sun off and let's the air in. Only time its hotter is when you're stopped. Hope you like your new home 53. Congrats.

ghostrider
07-06-2015, 09:23 AM
I recently purchased a "cool" vest (HyperKewl) I think it's called, for my trip to Reno last weekend. I was really happy with the difference it makes, it really keeps your core temp from raising. I wore it under a tshirt on the way up but bought a Armorall tshirt in Reno and that worked even better. It doesn't have any wool in it so you can feel the coolness better. It actually worked for about an hour and a half before I had to wet it again. It made a big difference in the 100 to 103 degree temps. I'm totally sold on it now. Highly recommended.

Fla_rider
07-06-2015, 12:05 PM
And for those extra warm, high humidity days in Florida we have these!

fxdl2051
07-08-2015, 12:18 AM
And for those extra warm, high humidity days in Florida we have these!

In all seriousness, anyone actually try one of these, sure would have been nice in Tampa and Phoenix.

Old Ryder
07-08-2015, 06:53 AM
You guys do know we ride a motorcycle---right?????

Riding in the rain means we get wet and riding in the heat means we sweat. Otherwise we just get in the car. :icon_mrgreen::poke: It's all part of the adventure and when you do it long enough you get a lot of really good stories.

53driver
07-08-2015, 09:25 AM
That mesh gear keeps the sun off and let's the air in. Only time its hotter is when you're stopped. Hope you like your new home 53. Congrats.

Thanks mate. Still working on getting first POD unloaded. After about 1000, working outside, moving heavy gear, is a recipe for a trip to the ER. I'm not 49 anymore.
I've since found ways to circumvent that bit of road, but the Harley was just not digging the heat with no airflow. Of course, white-lining / lane sharing is technically prohibited. A few LEOs I've spoken with by chance said they wouldn't stop me unless I was being unsafe while doing it. Not ready to test their subjective definitions of "safe" just yet.

Heading back to Philly to pack another POD and get then ride the 6 down here near the end of the month. It's all good!

stroguy
07-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Congrats on returning to the Sunshine State. I'm sure you will miss sunny Philly.