PDA

View Full Version : Jeep'n on the Arizona Strip

bobbyf6b
07-05-2015, 07:52 PM
I decided to give the B a break for the holiday (July 4th) weekend so I took the Jeep on a trip. The wife and I have been to the south and north rims of the Grand Canyon, but there's a few out-of-the-way places I've always wanted to see. The first one is Point Sublime. It's on the north rim of the canyon but west of the North Rim Lodge. It's about 20 miles one way of two track Jeep trail. An experienced rider on an adventure bike could make it out there, but this weekend was rainy and muddy. I was really glad to be in the Jeep. If you have been to the Grand Canyon then you know how spectacular it looks in person. Nothing prepared me for how amazing the view was from Point Sublime! The view is about 270 degrees of canyon in one shot. I was simply stunned.

15053 15054 15055

bobbyf6b
07-05-2015, 08:23 PM
The next day (we stayed in Kanab, UT) we headed for another place that's been on my bucket list for many years, Toroweap. The route to get there is about 60 miles of dirt/muddy/rocky roads and trails but wow it was worth it. On the way there, we took a side trip to Hack Canyon and that was fun as well. Toroweap is at the end of the trail, and when I say end I mean it literally ends at a 3000 foot sheer cliff to the Colorado River below. You can get as close to the edge as you dare and it's pretty intense if you have a fear of heights or falling. The view was really cool and the location even has a campground if you want to stay longer. We stayed a couple hours and headed back. It was a long day.

15056 15057 15058 15059

bobbyf6b
07-05-2015, 08:31 PM
15064 3177 15066 3178

bobbyf6b
07-05-2015, 08:37 PM
On our way home today we stopped by Horseshoe Bend near Page, AZ. I hear it's the most photographed part of the Grand Canyon.

I just wanted to share with you guys since we've been friends for a while. :icon_mrgreen:

photodiver
07-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Brian D
07-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Awesome photos bobby. I've been the the Grand Canyon only once and it was when my wife and I were in Las Vegas We went to the hualapai nation to do that sky walk. I was just amazed by the beauty of the canyon and I know there is so much more to see. I would love to fly out to Arizona and spend a week in a rental just seeing all the different parts of the canyon. Once again awesome photos

stroguy
07-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Awesome pics. I hiked The Canyon from the village to Plateau Point on my 50th birthday. One of the top 5 hardest things I have ever done in a day and one of my top 3 favorite things I have ever done. Would do it again in a heartbeat just for the view. The Canyon is an awesome place.

http://youtu.be/yqwo1TjSp90

We also stopped by Page and Horseshoe Bend. There are no guard rails in The Canyon.

http://youtu.be/t7B8y5gzTXs

Thanks Bobby, sweet trip.

bobbyf6b
07-05-2015, 11:04 PM
Awesome pics. I hiked The Canyon from the village to Plateau Point on my 50th birthday. One of the top 5 hardest things I have ever done in a day and one of my top 3 favorite things I have ever done. Would do it again in a heartbeat just for the view. The Canyon is an awesome place.

Thanks Bobby, sweet trip.

Wow, Plateau Point looks awesome. I've only been down to the 3 mile rest stop on the Bright Angel Trail. It's a long way back up!

bobbyf6b
07-05-2015, 11:10 PM
Here's a short video I took at Point Sublime. Not great quality.

https://youtu.be/FFsEKvKQFi4

woody
07-06-2015, 12:54 AM
Great shots Bobby. Beautiful part of the planet.

stroguy
07-06-2015, 06:43 AM
Nice video Bobby. I see you caught the July rains that sweep through. You now know why Planet of the Apes was filmed there and other parts. It is alien like.

Bill1584
07-06-2015, 08:59 AM
I decided to give the B a break for the holiday (July 4th) weekend so I took the Jeep on a trip. The wife and I have been to the south and north rims of the Grand Canyon, but there's a few out-of-the-way places I've always wanted to see. The first one is Point Sublime. It's on the north rim of the canyon but west of the North Rim Lodge. It's about 20 miles one way of two track Jeep trail. An experienced rider on an adventure bike could make it out there, but this weekend was rainy and muddy. I was really glad to be in the Jeep. If you have been to the Grand Canyon then you know how spectacular it looks in person. Nothing prepared me for how amazing the view was from Point Sublime! The view is about 270 degrees of canyon in one shot. I was simply stunned.

15053 15054 15055

Ansel Adams would be proud of those photos. Thank you for posting them.

bobbyf6b
07-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Awesome photos bobby. I've been the the Grand Canyon only once and it was when my wife and I were in Las Vegas We went to the hualapai nation to do that sky walk. I was just amazed by the beauty of the canyon and I know there is so much more to see. I would love to fly out to Arizona and spend a week in a rental just seeing all the different parts of the canyon. Once again awesome photos

I still want to do the Skywalk. Looks awesome.

valkmc
07-06-2015, 01:55 PM
Rode Utah and Arizona last summer! The Canyon is something to see. My other vehicle is a Jeep also. Love to ride around with out the top.

Brian D
07-06-2015, 03:25 PM
I still want to do the Skywalk. Looks awesome.

If you go do the skywalk. Do not ride your bike there. The 10-15 miles or so road leading back to the reservation is very rocky at least it was 2yrs ago. Definitely a road for your jeep. I was in a vw Passat rental and was praying I didn't get a flat lol!!