PDA

View Full Version : Back from Yellowstone...

choptop
07-05-2015, 09:16 PM
:icon_wink:Returned today from our 10 day, 3,200 mile Yellowstone trip. Lodging, route, destinations set up by president of our riding club. 12 bikes, (9) harleys, (1), Bmw, (1) Yamaha and the 6. (8) single guys, (2) couples. Went Darkside for the trip and installed the Madstad for the trip, pulled a Bushtec trailer. Black Hills, Bighorn Mountains, Chief Joseph Scenic Highway, Beartooth Highway, Yellowstone, the Tetons, Theodore Roosevelt National Park and all the places in between. No problems w/the Darkside tire or the new Metzler Marathon 888 front tire. Not sure if I found the sweet spot on the Madstad or not, my ponytail gets less tangled after a ride, sweet spot, not sure.
6 ran flawlessly, even after operator error, end of long first day, at gas pump in Hobunk SD, that Had visions running around in my head of a huge tow bill home and a huge repair bill, ended up working out better than I had first imagined it ever possibly could!
(3) nights in Keystone, (2) in Cody, (2) in W Yellowstone MT, then on the way home (1) in Miles Montana and last night in Fargo ND.
Ran hard everyday, never under (9) hours from time we left motel till we got back. BMW rear ended 2nd day in Keystone, by buffer car between him and young twit not paying attention. Rider ok and bike drivable.no other major mishaps. Never got comfortable on bike, not 6's fault, just never got that Sciatic nerve thing to go away, was uncomfortable 10 minutes after getting on, wish that would not have been the case.
(12) people could not have gotten along better than the bunch of us, made the trip so much better. Saw things that I would have NEVER seen on my own or w/my planning.
Was a first time and an adventure of a lifetime for me, pics to follow.

stroguy
07-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Awesome, bring on the pics!

choptop
07-05-2015, 09:43 PM
:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:A few pics from the trip.

choptop
07-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Some more pics.

stroguy
07-05-2015, 10:04 PM
WOW!

bobbyf6b
07-06-2015, 12:13 AM
Very nice! I want to get up that way on my bike one of these days too.

Convert
07-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Stroguy,

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Like you, I just got back on a trip thru Yellowstone and on out to Boise Idaho. Bike ran great to whole time and didn't give me any trouble. I put on just under 4,000 miles in 6 days of actual riding with the
most the first day when I put on 985 miles. Lots of rain on the way out. I too, never could find a real comfortable position where I could last more than a 100 miles. That and no cruise, a too short windshield and not enough lockable
storage. So when I got back, I traded the 6 in on a new 2014 full gold wing. Cruise, Navigation, the whole nine yards. I can ride for a full tank of gas and not be uncomfortable.

Good luck on future rides.

Steve 0080
07-06-2015, 08:41 AM
I'm jealous...great pic's....

stroguy
07-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Stroguy, choptop

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Like you, I just got back on a trip thru Yellowstone and on out to Boise Idaho. Bike ran great to whole time and didn't give me any trouble. I put on just under 4,000 miles in 6 days of actual riding with the
most the first day when I put on 985 miles. Lots of rain on the way out. I too, never could find a real comfortable position where I could last more than a 100 miles. That and no cruise, a too short windshield and not enough lockable
storage. So when I got back, I traded the 6 in on a new 2014 full gold wing. Cruise, Navigation, the whole nine yards. I can ride for a full tank of gas and not be uncomfortable.

Correction, but I wish I was there. Probably would have driven off a cliff enjoying those views.

ghostrider
07-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Stroguy,

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Like you, I just got back on a trip thru Yellowstone and on out to Boise Idaho.

Welcome to Boise!!

Vol1chuck
07-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Stroguy,

Just a curiosity question...what makes the full GW more comfortable? Riding position? Seat? Thanks....

Vol1chuck
07-06-2015, 10:26 AM
6 ran flawlessly, even after operator error, end of long first day, at gas pump in Hobunk SD, that Had visions running around in my head of a huge tow bill home and a huge repair bill, ended up working out better than I had first imagined it ever possibly could!

You can't leave that hanging out there! Keep one of us from doing the same thing?

Convert
07-06-2015, 11:37 AM
I found that I adjusted the ride position several times on the 6 trying to find the right setting while on the Wing I just touch a button. The wind shield on the Wing works better for me. Cruise control, heated seats and heated grips are great. I had a Klock Werks shield on my six and that was great until it started raining for about 1200 miles. Luckily I had a second helmet. Normally I wear a half helmet, but I took along a full face helmet which I switched to during the rain otherwise I was going to drown in the rain that came right over the shield. When I could wear the half helmet I had to strap the full one on since it wouldn't fit in the saddle bags or the other bag I had on the back. I can put the full helmet in the trunk on the Wing and not have any problem plus everything locks up.

I thought about adding a seat, a different shield, heated grips and cruise and would have had to spend a couple of grand and still wouldn't have the navigation, adjustable headlight and lockable extra storage. That and trade in value on a 2013 F6b is not that great around here. I ended up trading the F6B and a 2001 HD CVO Wide Glide for the 2014 Wing which was marked down to 21,500. I only had to chip in a little extra. As soon as I got it, I put 190 miles on in one ride to see how the comfort compared and never had to get off to stretch or rest my backside.

I loved my 6 but have to say the Full Wing is much better for me on a long trip. I try to make that Idaho trip twice a year. Comfort is everything, plus my new black wing is pretty nice to look at too.

choptop
07-06-2015, 02:13 PM
You can't leave that hanging out there! Keep one of us from doing the same thing?
End of a long 1st day trying to get to our half way destination, pull into a little town gas station to fill up for the next day before going to our motel about 10 miles away. Not sure what it was, exhaustion, distraction, the markings on the pump but I saw "91 octain" next to a red handles pump, which was next to the green diesel pump, filled her up, pushed it away, went in and paid and when I went back out to start it, it would not rev up, thought what the f..., hear that red handles pump was off road diesel, oxiginated or some such shit and I had a tank full of it in my 6. You can imagine what was going threw my mind:icon_frown:
Small town, 6am, everything is closed, old lady said their was a man she could possibly call, he came over, sucked out the diesel, we rolled her over to the "91" and pumped her full, didn't want to start, kept trying till it would barely idle, ran like that for a minute or two till the 91 hit the engine, the idle rose, hopped on it and road it, like I stole it, for 2,800 miles. Resilient little bitch.:icon_wink:
The moral of the story is, pumping gas for 40 some years means sht in the end and we all make mistakes and sometimes you just half to laugh about it cause your buds aren't going to let you forget.:icon_razz:

stroguy
07-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Geesh dude, everyone knows that small town pumps manned by lil ole ladies have red handled diesel! Where you been?

Glad she decided to start up. Simple mistake made by all. Smile and ride on, your friends can't ride you forever, they know they may need you to buy a beer someday.

zzh54
07-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Glad to hear you had a good trip, the pictures posted I imagine are just the tip of the iceberg. Very nice.
As for the diesel, a little extra lube for the motor. You were in the hot seat till someone else did something to get the attention, that's what makes the trip so much fun

Navvet
07-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Congrats on a safe ride Choptop.

I am still in Yellowstone, leaving tomorrow for SD, eventually making it back to NC ....

The "B" is amazing on the mountain twisty's !!!!!

firetech
07-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Yes, congrats on a great trip.
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.
Definitely on the list of rides.

choptop
07-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Badlands of South Dakota
Keyston, SD
Iron Mt Rd
Mt Coolidge
Needles Highway
Custer Wildlife Loop
Old Hill City Rd
Johnson Siding
Nemo Rd
Vonacker Canyon
Sprearfish Canyon
Bighorn Mts
Cody, WY
Chief Joseph Memorial HW
Beartooth Pass
West Yellowstone
Grand Teton Mts
Mamouth Hot Springs
Beartooth Pass..... again!
Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Badlands of North Dakota

choptop
07-07-2015, 07:27 PM
More Yellowstone pics:

choptop
07-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Some older oriental lady, off a tour bus, loved my bike and wanted a pic on it. lol

stroguy
07-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Man that is some sweet looking territory....Maximus jealousies.

Are you chopping the sleeves of your mechanic shirt? Love to see that. I don't have the guns for it. I'm equipped with BB guns.

Vol1chuck
07-08-2015, 07:34 AM
End of a long 1st day trying to get to our half way destination, pull into a little town gas station to fill up for the next day before going to our motel about 10 miles away. Not sure what it was, exhaustion, distraction, the markings on the pump but I saw "91 octain" next to a red handles pump, which was next to the green diesel pump, filled her up, pushed it away, went in and paid and when I went back out to start it, it would not rev up, thought what the f..., hear that red handles pump was off road diesel, oxiginated or some such shit and I had a tank full of it in my 6. You can imagine what was going threw my mind:icon_frown:
Small town, 6am, everything is closed, old lady said their was a man she could possibly call, he came over, sucked out the diesel, we rolled her over to the "91" and pumped her full, didn't want to start, kept trying till it would barely idle, ran like that for a minute or two till the 91 hit the engine, the idle rose, hopped on it and road it, like I stole it, for 2,800 miles. Resilient little bitch.:icon_wink:
The moral of the story is, pumping gas for 40 some years means sht in the end and we all make mistakes and sometimes you just half to laugh about it cause your buds aren't going to let you forget.:icon_razz:

Thanks for the update. I did that in reverse once. Put gas in a borrowed pickup truck that used diesel. Headed up the interstate and when it started missing, I thought "wow, feels like there might have been some water in that gas. Gas? Did I put GAS IN THIS THING?!!?"

choptop
02-13-2016, 12:52 PM
Finally got around to putting some of my new GoPro vids on YouTube from last years vacation. The GoPro was new to me so please excuse the goof ups.bseg

https://youtu.be/BA24fMhtHiM

Steve 0080
02-13-2016, 02:57 PM
One day......

choptop
02-13-2016, 07:37 PM
I have hours of video taken w/my Gopro that is on my computer. Transferring it to You Tube is so so damn slow, I have 5 hours invested into a 20 minute video and am at 42% !!!! I ordered and downloaded some kind of conversion soft wear that will make it go faster but am having a hard time getting the keycodes, any suggestions.

choptop
02-14-2016, 08:27 AM
https://youtu.be/5qsh7h4Y_Jk

Another.

ReserveBum
02-14-2016, 09:08 AM
Great video to watch when its -14 degrees out! Thanks for posting it, an addition to the "must" rides

choptop
02-14-2016, 03:51 PM
https://youtu.be/627rQaPPSqk

choptop
02-14-2016, 04:29 PM
https://youtu.be/eRD8hzezRbE

choptop
02-14-2016, 05:45 PM
https://youtu.be/a1RM2cHg1AE

choptop
02-14-2016, 10:07 PM
https://youtu.be/Gj1vFYBCpuM

choptop
02-15-2016, 07:11 AM
https://youtu.be/otoJGKxIQEQ

choptop
02-15-2016, 07:14 AM
The above particular ride threw the woods to the view at the end was found by our vacation/ride leader that was a pleasant surprise.

seadog
02-15-2016, 08:16 AM
Stroguy,

You guys with comfort problems need to check out Russell Day-Long custom seats, You send them the stock seat pan off the 6 and with a lot of measurements and pictures of you on the bike they build you a seat customized for you and your rider if you have one. I have had Corbin seats and all required 3 to 4 hundred miles before getting comfortable. The Day-Long seat they built for my 6 was comfortable right from the day I reinstalled it, I was just amazed and on a 240 mile ride had absolutely no lack of comfort. I was skeptical that anyone could build me a seat 2000 miles away but they pulled it off in spades. Thanks to the recommendation from Big Larry I went that route and don't regret it for a minute now, I have the best seat I have ever had on a bike.

choptop
02-15-2016, 08:30 AM
https://youtu.be/a59Vi0tf5-o

choptop
02-15-2016, 09:15 AM
https://youtu.be/VOISMk6NXgY

jm21ddd15
02-15-2016, 10:32 AM
:yes: Great videos!. I rode Yellowstone back in 2006, on a Kawasaki 1600 Classic. After watching the videos, I may have to plan another ride, but now on the 6. I know it will be much better on the 6! Thanks for the show!

choptop
02-15-2016, 10:34 AM
The guys That I took this trip w/have another planned for a ride out to Pennsylvanian but the particulars are not out yet. Don't know if I will make that one, have enough time for the rides I would like to do, newly retired makes a difference , but the wallet won't support them all.

Oh, I really want to go out to Yellowstone again, smaller group this time.

choptop
02-15-2016, 12:15 PM
https://youtu.be/z690upF3RUM

choptop
02-16-2016, 10:29 AM
https://youtu.be/gxihI7JNzA4