PDA

View Full Version : F6B Wind / Rain protection

stevenolts
07-06-2015, 09:25 AM
I just wanted to tell my story about how great the wind / rain protection is on my F6B.

I have a Mastad (extra dark) 11" windshield set in the lowest and top back all the way towards the rider position. (default factory/original position)
I have the Mustang Tripper seat. This configuration puts the windshield at chin level or lower for me. (5'8" tall) I get a nice summer fluttery air but no turbulence or hard blast at all.

I was about to leave my house for work on Thursday morning just after an over night rain. The ground was soaking wet but the forecast had only a 10% chance of rain over the day and 0% over the next hour on my way to work. My rule is I will not leave for work in the rain or 20% or higher chance of rain during my ride in. If I have a 20% or less chance of rain on my way home I will go ahead and ride to work that day. This day was a little different because of the soaking wet roads even though the chance of rain was 0% for the next hour. So I had to make a decision to ride or not to ride to work that morning. I decided to ride but the next decision was if I should wear rain gear to keep the wet roads from soaking my legs. I had noticed that when I rode through puddles on the F6B my legs did not get wet like on my old Harley Fatboy. I decided not to wear rain gear and ride into work in blue jeans and a light mesh jacket. The jacket has a liner which along with my other rain gear is always in the saddlebag. I even rode in with my Scorpion EXO-900 modular helmet with the shield removed. As you guys by now have guessed 5 minutes into the ride it started to mist and then rain lightly. I rode 45 miles in the light rain without getting my clothes wet even though the road was soaking wet. My face was getting a little damp but not my body, clothes, and shoes were dry. I am still amazed at how great the wind / rain protection is on my F6B.
Steve

shooter
07-06-2015, 09:34 AM
I've been lucky enough to ride in the rain on the B twice now with the same results as you Steve. I like it. Not the rain.

dickiedeals
07-06-2015, 11:05 AM
I had the opportunity to ride mine in the rain for 450 miles. It rained so hard one could just barely see tail lights in front of them. Rained 4 solid days that way so holding up somewhere was out of the question. I don't think it would of mattered what windshield I had. Its a wonderful machine but if you ride cross country, you will get wet....Dickie'windy':rainyday:

shooter
07-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Steve there is always one guy that has a horror story.

stevenolts
07-06-2015, 11:53 AM
As everyone knows with enough rain you are going to get wet no matter what you do. But in a mild rain you will probable do fairly well on the F6B. You may even stay dry in a light rain which is very nice.
Steve

Fla_rider
07-06-2015, 12:21 PM
With quite a bit of rain experience I'd like to add my 2 cents-

First lets define rain into about three catagories. 1. Topical Downpour. 2. Light Rain 3. More than an hour of rain.

1. Topical Downpours come in buckets but don't last long. If you plan on riding the rest of the day you will relinguish the wet cool rain. Here in Florida most likely you will be dry within an hour.

2. Light rain - I have found as long as trucks and other vehicles are not kicking up sheets of rain that the F6B will keep you protected well from light rain as long as you are moving. The only exception here is your shoes, shoulders, and gloves. Your gloves can be kept dryer a little longer with Baker Wings. I always have two sets of gloves on the bike. I have also used ziplock bags over dry socks to keep moisture out, just leave them open at the top to remove body heat and mositure.

3. More than an hour of rain, overcasted skys, no sun in site. Pull over and put your rain suit on! Protect external electronic devices, such as phones and non-Zumo GPS's. Sooner or later if you don't have good boots your socks will get wet.

valkmc
07-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Rode about 100 miles in a down pour yesterday on 301 from Ocala north. Got soaked. I have the bagger and put the extension up. With the amount of rain I think I would have gotten wet even on my Wing. Like others have said if you hit a tropical down pour it doesn't matter what you are riding!

nvmyf6
07-06-2015, 04:09 PM
That's a great story Steve, I too have ridden in the rain.

The only problem I had was that the rain run down the front of my jacket and puddled on my seat and my jeans soaked up that water. If that didn't happen I would have stayed completely dry.

stevenolts
07-21-2015, 02:00 PM
I would like to update my previous statement about not getting wet from rain on the F6B. I have recently discovered that statement may only apply to light rain. When I wrote the thread I must have had a very light rain that day and been living life right.

Sunday night I had that theory completely fall apart. As I was riding home I was hit by rain of biblical proportions and yes as you guessed I got soaked.

Ha!! Ha!! I had to pay dearly for my stupid comments!!!

NoleRider
07-21-2015, 02:55 PM
I would like to update my previous statement about not getting wet from rain on the F6B. I have recently discovered that statement may only apply to light rain. When I wrote the thread I must have had a very light rain that day and been living life right.

Sunday night I had that theory completely fall apart. As I was riding home I was hit by rain of biblical proportions and yes as you guessed I got soaked.

Ha!! Ha!! I had to pay dearly for my stupid comments!!!

Ha...I had the same thing happen...just minus the posts about it. The day I bought the bike, the 50 mile ride home from the dealer was in light rain, and I got home nearly completely dry. Since then, I changed the windshield to a more substantial one, and figured I'd be good to go in any rain in the future. A week or so later, riding in a poker run, we too hit one of those rain events they write about, and ended up absolutely soaked. My riding glasses were fogged to where I couldn't see, but couldn't see without them thanks to the needles in the eye. I ended up leaning down and looking through the screen...since at least it wasn't fogged.