PDA

View Full Version : Another bike down

wjduke
07-07-2015, 06:53 AM
Scenario to be careful of while riding.....Good friend on an M109 had to drop his bike at 50 mph yesterday. Front car decided to make a u-turn 4 cars in front of him. Everyone jacked up, van directly in front of him hit the car ahead of it...he had to lay it down or hit also. Broken ribs and road rash. Basically, just have to be as careful as possible.

seadog
07-07-2015, 07:40 AM
I came over a hill the other day to find one of those moron making a U turn just over the crest of the hill, WTF is wrong with these people. If he had come over the top of the hill there was a perfectly good place to pull off and turn the car around about a 1/4 mile off the hill. It like they just quit thinking when they get in the car.:yikes:

wjduke
07-07-2015, 07:52 AM
I came over a hill the other day to find one of those moron making a U turn just over the crest of the hill, WTF is wrong with these people. If he had come over the top of the hill there was a perfectly good place to pull off and turn the car around about a 1/4 mile off the hill. It like they just quit thinking when they get in the car.:yikes:

Maybe you saw the post. I rode with him all the time when I had a bike. He'll ride again...needs to check the damage though. They get panicky like there's no other way to go besides right there and then. He was on a 4 lane highway. All they had to do was go to the next turn around.

shooter
07-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Drivers don't think about the consequences when they act. Its me me me. One of these days I'm gonna go postal on one of these pricks. Disclaimer: no drivers were actually harmed during this rant. Shooter was merely thinking out loud and would never harm a dumbass cager.

Steve 0080
07-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Drivers don't think about the consequences when they act. Its me me me. One of these days I'm gonna go postal on one of these pricks. Disclaimer: no drivers were actually harmed during this rant. Shooter was merely thinking out loud and would never harm a dumbass cager.

+1 and everything else in life also!!!

wjduke
07-07-2015, 08:26 AM

Sounds like a loose cannon to me! :lolup:

Old Ryder
07-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Sounds like a loose cannon to me! :lolup:

Yea---glad he don't carry a gun! :crackup:

mrhatch
07-07-2015, 10:39 AM
The main road to my house has a lane that reverses directions during the morning and evening rush hour and is a left turn lane at all other times. The signs show either a green arrow in the direction of travel, two arrows for the turn lane, or a BIG RED X that means don't use the lane in this direction. I don't know how many times I have come over the one slight hill to find some yahoo making a left turn in what is now a travel lane. The road has been like this for 15 years and they still can't figure it out.

wjduke
07-07-2015, 10:47 AM
I live in Mass., the roads are antiquated and not built for the traffic we have today...it's a big problem.

ths61
07-07-2015, 11:21 AM
We just have a lot of idiot drivers in the PRK (many without driver training or licenses).

The other day I was going around a 90 degree blind corner on a 2 lane road only to come nose-2-nose with a female cager (in the wrong lane) who was attempting to pass on the blind corner. Sunday, I was doing a group ride when a cager decides he was going to change 2 lanes left though the middle of the group formation of touring bikes. After almost side-swiping 2 bikes on his way through the formation, he enters the 3rd fast lane and then slows down to slower than the slow lane and stays there blocking all of the fast traffic behind him. I guess I should take Larry's advice about keeping some ball bearings in the pocket.

wjduke
07-07-2015, 11:26 AM
I have to admit that all these stories has me wondering about getting back on a bike, but, I loved it so much that I know I will. Still, the thoughts are there.

hiflyer
07-07-2015, 02:13 PM
I hate this, and hope your friend recovers with no long term problems. I have been an MSF instructor for 20 years, and I have to say that whenever I hear that someone "has to lay the bike down to avoid a crash" I have to disagree. No one has a crash on purpose to prevent a crash. Very few riders even have the ability to control a situation in which they "low side" , which is technically what laying the bike down is, to avoid something in their path. What the reality is, a rider in this situation does improper braking to avoid the car or whatever, and crashes, plain and simple. This is the very reason the MSF has exercises in braking, and braking and swerving, because of the high number of crashes initiated by something in your path.
There isn't a single rider, no matter how many years they have been riding, or how good they think they are, that wouldn't benefit from taking an MSF course, or other training. Motorcycle riding is a high risk activity, the key is managing that risk.

shooter
07-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Yea---glad he don't carry a gun! :crackup:

I do. A 45 actually. With 2 reloads. You've heard if ATG-ATT? My gun is considered gear.

Vol1chuck
07-07-2015, 02:39 PM
I hate this, and hope your friend recovers with no long term problems. I have been an MSF instructor for 20 years, and I have to say that whenever I hear that someone "has to lay the bike down to avoid a crash" I have to disagree. No one has a crash on purpose to prevent a crash. Very few riders even have the ability to control a situation in which they "low side" , which is technically what laying the bike down is, to avoid something in their path. What the reality is, a rider in this situation does improper braking to avoid the car or whatever, and crashes, plain and simple. This is the very reason the MSF has exercises in braking, and braking and swerving, because of the high number of crashes initiated by something in your path.
There isn't a single rider, no matter how many years they have been riding, or how good they think they are, that wouldn't benefit from taking an MSF course, or other training. Motorcycle riding is a high risk activity, the key is managing that risk.

+1
There is no way that metal, plastic, leather and skin come to a stop on pavement quicker that the rubber tires with properly applied braking, so the notion that "laying it down" helped avoid the accident is flawed. If a cyclist low-sides due to a locked up rear wheel, and then comes to a stop before hitting the obstruction, he could have easily avoided any collision at all by staying on two wheels. Hope this fella recovers quickly.

wjduke
07-07-2015, 02:51 PM

+1
There is no way that metal, plastic, leather and skin come to a stop on pavement quicker that the rubber tires with properly applied braking, so the notion that "laying it down" helped avoid the accident is flawed. If a cyclist low-sides due to a locked up rear wheel, and then comes to a stop before hitting the obstruction, he could have easily avoided any collision at all by staying on two wheels. Hope this fella recovers quickly.

I don't doubt either of you but, I took the MSF course and I got broadsided two years later. No chance for reaction. He was waiting for traffic and pulled out as I was crossing right in front of him. The week before I had to do the swerve maneuver to avoid the same type crash. I think I had a target on me.

I wasn't there naturally and don't know the deal. Maybe he did have an out, and couldn't react quick enough. He's experienced with over 40,000 miles on his bike and not a crazy rider, always under control when I rode with him. I expect he might have had too much speed for the condition.

ths61
07-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Maybe a good argument for ABS brakes in panic stops ?

Ixol Phaane
07-07-2015, 06:48 PM

+1

+1

wjduke - I hope your buddy recovers quickly. And in all sincerity, I hope he's learned to give himself a little more room behind the vehicle(s) ahead of him. In a bike v cage match, we always lose.

wjduke
07-07-2015, 07:12 PM
+1

wjduke - I hope your buddy recovers quickly. And in all sincerity, I hope he's learned to give himself a little more room behind the vehicle(s) ahead of him. In a bike v cage match, we always lose.

:yes:

stroguy
07-07-2015, 07:14 PM
+1

MSF advanced course are priceless and will make you immediately aware that your best chance at avoiding an accident is staying upright and applying the heaviest possible braking and utilizing correct avoidance maneuvers. There are always going to be the 'unavoidable', but when honestly looking back at the majority of my close calls I was either going over the speed limit, following too close, not having an exit strategy because I was sightseeing, or just never assuming that everyone is going to pull out in front of me or cut me off or turn in front me or change lanes into me. I hope that I never commit to purposely laying the bike down to avoid a collision as I would hate to slide my bike onto my body and into and under the oncoming cager.

Speedy recovery to your buddy and our two wheel brother.

Today in my work vehicle I followed a Harris County Sheriff Deputy on his bike that was never more than a one count from the vehicle in front of him. Way too close for my pleasure.

miramiramira
07-07-2015, 07:32 PM

Steel, chrome, aluminum, plastic. None have as much grip as rubber.