PDA

View Full Version : RIDING TWISTIES WITH A BAGGER...

hgslayr
07-09-2015, 11:09 PM
Just wondering if anyone can give me some good advice or techniques that they use to keep from dragging the bags on the twisties..I generally hang the edge of my shoe over the edge of my pegs to feel the asphalt and use that as my reference point..Not used to riding a bagger and dont want to damage a bag...Any advice or experiences appreciate...

Ixol Phaane
07-09-2015, 11:45 PM
Don't worry about dragging the bags on this bike.
The pegs are the first things to touch down.
At least for me on this stock bike.

Stroked99
07-10-2015, 12:03 AM
It took me less than 2 weeks to find out. Your pegs will scrape first. I also ride a sportbike and was wondering myself. Today I found out going fast on a downhill 270 degree freeway onramp. This bike handles way better than I expected. No drama from the scrape, just surprised. As for the bags,
the rear crash bars would touch first.

BIGLRY
07-10-2015, 02:42 AM
If yer dragging your bags ye ain't on your rubber and have more problems than just the bags touching.:301:

Jimmytee
07-10-2015, 04:52 AM
Ride it like you stole it.:icon_lol:

Proper cornering techniques like choosing lines, corner entering speed, & throttle control will produce decreased lean angles and higher exit speeds, but if you're riding fast enough you're going to scrape. Like stated above, these bikes are pretty tame when things start to touch down, and the pegs are the first.

DMAGOLDRDR
07-10-2015, 07:28 AM
If your coming from a "sport bike" you will need to get used to the pegs touching down!!! These bikes will handle well but they are still big baggers. I have a set of highway pegs that touch just before the stock pegs. Scraping the pegs is a very common occurrence for me and in my opinion,,, you should know that sound. I know of a few folks that could not make a corner because they heard the pegs scrape and it scared them to the point of panic. The stock pegs will fold up and even though they are scraping, you will still have a few degrees of lean to get you thru the corner.

My highway pegs are mounted in a way that they also fold as the stock pegs do... up and back as to not dig into the road. You can feel the moment in your feet and as long as your brain doesn't freak out from the sound you can usually get yourself out of trouble.
For some of us the scraping sound puts a smile on our face!!!

I spent most of my money on Women and Motorcycles,, the rest I just wasted!

Sorcerer
07-10-2015, 07:53 AM
I have just about ground through the side wall of the tubing on the right front crash bar. Haven't touched the rear bag guards, yet. As others have sead, if your riding the bags, your down.

Hornblower
07-10-2015, 08:10 AM
Being from NASCAR country, I'll just say this...if you ain't scrapin', you ain't ridin'! You'll probably find that the pegs touch down fairly early on this bike. If you ride agressively and want to preserve your pegs, you could consider titanium pucks for the underside (check out Pepsx Products). It makes for a nice "light show". Some belly pans will touch next but the Macgyver BP, at least in my case, mounts in tighter and avoids contact. The protective side guards just up from the belly pan have grounded a few times as well about the same time as my Rush exhaust. And, just after that, the crash bars :yikes:. I rarely scrape past the footpegs however unless I'm riding with faster riders like Big Dawg and friends in those awesome Western Carolina twisties. Anyway, if you're really concerned about scraping, you can dial up the rear suspension and upgrade to better forks like Traxxion Dynamics which will help too. After that, you can consider an extended rear shock clevis to further add clearance. Beyond all that, you just have to settle, AFAIK.

Steve 0080
07-10-2015, 08:29 AM
Ditto with Big Larry ......

CheesyRider
07-10-2015, 08:31 AM
I haven't noticed body positioning mentioned yet:

Jimmytee
07-10-2015, 09:00 AM
I haven't noticed body positioning mentioned yet:

If I am riding aggressive, I'm usually scooted a bit forward and will adjust weight distribution with legs. Usually, having to think about this, I keep my arms relaxed but with elbows more upright.

hgslayr
07-10-2015, 09:34 AM
My buddies that I ride with cant believe how fast I ride my rune thru the twisties but this F6 seems so effortless in the lights turns Ive been in so far...Going to Calistoga via 128 around Lake Berryessa this sunday so I'll get to really try her out in some good twists...Thanks for all the input guys...

Donncat
07-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Steve, those are some awesome pics

Steve 0080
07-10-2015, 11:11 PM
Thanks !!!

grendl
07-12-2015, 12:19 AM
I came from riding a Hurricane to my F6B. On the sport bike I had a habit when my toes were pointed down over the front of the peg.
With the F6 first thing I noticed was my toes touching the pavement. Corrected foot position then started getting to the pegs.
I figure past that is going to be hard parts and I dont want to get to that if I dont have to.
If you touch the bags I really think you are going to not have any tire contact meaning you are sliding personally at that point (OH NO!)
Still have my Hurricane,when I want to get to that and warp speed,I can revert..although I dont ride it as much since I've had my F6B...
Matter of fact I was going to take it up to the mountains this morning and noticed in my preflight that my tags were expired....so now I had to ride the 'big' Honda..Life is tough

naga viper
07-12-2015, 01:54 AM
My sneakers found out the hard way how low she will go...
I met a guy last week on a ride and noticed how much higher the goldwing was from f6b
was a mid 2000 but it was 1 to 2" higher?

Hornblower
07-12-2015, 05:36 AM
You learn fast on this bike, when you want to attack the curves, you'd better get your toes on the pegs :yikes:.

SoCal Rich
07-12-2015, 11:07 AM
I was scraping more than I expected to. A thread on this site recommended I adjust the rear suspension. It came from the factory at the lowest setting, like zero, and I moved it to a mid setting. Makes a big diff.

bobbyf6b
07-12-2015, 11:22 AM
I was scraping more than I expected to. A thread on this site recommended I adjust the rear suspension. It came from the factory at the lowest setting, like zero, and I moved it to a mid setting. Makes a big diff.

:yes::yes:

hgslayr
07-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Took the bike on a long ride to Calistoga today and I am amazed how nimble and powerful this f6b is...Can some tell me how to adjust the ride to medium?

ths61
07-12-2015, 07:25 PM
Took the bike on a long ride to Calistoga today and I am amazed how nimble and powerful this f6b is...Can some tell me how to adjust the ride to medium?

If you mean the rear shock adjustment, it is under the right side panel, just in front of the right saddlebag.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/web-13_GoldWingF6B_Adj_Knob.jpg

hgslayr
07-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Thanks...appreciate it

hgslayr
07-12-2015, 08:35 PM
Seens like I have to turn it forever to adjust up..Is that normal?

stroguy
07-12-2015, 08:36 PM
As many as 30+ turns from end to end........maybe 35 total.

hgslayr
07-12-2015, 08:44 PM
Does this just stiffen the shock or does it actually lift the bike higher?...sorry about the 100 questions...

bobbyf6b
07-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Does this just stiffen the shock or does it actually lift the bike higher?...sorry about the 100 questions...

It does not raise the bike, but it does not let the bike sag as much when you sit on it. It may FEEL higher but it's not.

BIGLRY
07-12-2015, 08:54 PM
It does not raise the bike, but it does not let the bike sag as much when you sit on it. It may FEEL higher but it's not.
+1

hgslayr
07-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys...