PDA

View Full Version : My copilot uses the crash bars.

stroguy
07-11-2015, 08:33 AM
She does not do it intentionally but I do catch her climbing aboard every once in a hoot using them instead of the floor boards. Any longevity issues? I remember the trailering post where some have broken the crash bar bolts when over torquing the bars.

Randy

Steve 0080
07-11-2015, 08:42 AM
I guess as long as she stays under the weight requirement all will be good.....:stirthepot:

stroguy
07-11-2015, 08:54 AM
Oh yes that is a schnitz stirrer question.

bobbyf6b
07-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Mine uses them as floorboards. I'm surprised how low the pegs are located, she can barely reach them.

stroguy
07-11-2015, 09:00 AM
When I went to GW floor boards it evened it up a bit. Don't mind that but was curious of her weight climbing on and off. Probably a no fret issue. Just curious.

Wmorgan2k
07-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Those things are designed to support the weight of the bike so I you don't have anything to worry about. Did you paint the floor boards? That black looks great!

cueman
07-11-2015, 09:38 PM
You may want to put a strip of grip tape on the crash bars so her feet will be less likely to slip off. I have done this to one of my other bikes with good success. :icon_biggrin: cueman

okiedoc
07-12-2015, 02:26 PM
I would like to know the source of those floorboards, have not seen any like them.

stroguy
07-12-2015, 02:55 PM
I would like to know the source of those floorboards, have not seen any like them.

Those are Goldwing passenger floorboards. Goldwing as GL1800 full bore wing. They are all over eBay. I got a used set for about $75 and refurb' them and repainted.

You may want to put a strip of grip tape on the crash bars so her feet will be less likely to slip off. I have done this to one of my other bikes with good success. :icon_biggrin: cueman

I have a roll of clear and black skateboard tape I was going to install for that very reason. Great minds sir.

Those things are designed to support the weight of the bike so I you don't have anything to worry about. Did you paint the floor boards? That black looks great!

I did repaint the floorboards. The black I used was a very close metallic match to the 2015 Super Fast Matte Silver models blackish frame parts. From side angles it does compliment very well to the frame color. If you would like, I can shoot a pic of the rattle can color I used.

Wmorgan2k
07-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Please do if you don't mind that looks really good. Any major prep work to them or just clean and spray?

stroguy
07-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Total disassembly which is easy. Cotter pin, long pivot pin, ball bearing, bearing spring and a bearing cover plate, then the mount, the board and the board decorative trim plate and two bolts that hold the decorative trim plate. Soaked all metals in mineral spirits, sanded the scratches, primed, painted and cleared. When you reassemble you need to put some sacrificial rubber or other material where the foot board and the board mount meet when the board is deployed downwards. Those two surfaces will rub and you will lose some paint and then the board mount will look yucky when the board is flipped back up. I bought some thin black neoprene sticker material on eBay. Can't see it when the board is up. Grease the ball bearing and bearing spring. All done.

Good luck