PDA

View Full Version : room in rear lens for slightly larger brake/tail bulb?

RickJ
07-12-2015, 10:33 PM
I want to put a flashing (3 rapid flashes then steady) LED bulb in...it looks like the OEM bulb is 1 1/2" long (from end to end) (http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-34906-MBB-611.html) the replacement is 2 1/4" long (https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-bulbs/7443-led-bulb-w-brake-flasher-dual-function-1-high-power-led-wedge-retrofit-car/925/2276/#/tab/Specifications)

I like to avoid removing the lens 2X...once to measure...put it back...order...take it off... So I'm just wondering if anyone remembers offhand how much room there is under the lens...I used this (bayonet type though) in another bike and it is plug and play and feels a lot safer...

I know about the other alternative under the license...but this with the new Kury light below would be my preference for now (for now! HA famous last words)

Anyone?

BIGLRY
07-12-2015, 10:36 PM
I want to put a flashing (3 rapid flashes then steady) LED bulb in...it looks like the OEM bulb is 1 1/2" long (from end to end) (http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-34906-MBB-611.html) the replacement is 2 1/4" long (https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-bulbs/7443-led-bulb-w-brake-flasher-dual-function-1-high-power-led-wedge-retrofit-car/925/2276/#/tab/Specifications)

I like to avoid removing the lens 2X...once to measure...put it back...order...take it off... So I'm just wondering if anyone remembers offhand how much room there is under the lens...I used this (bayonet type though) in another bike and it is plug and play and feels a lot safer...

I know about the other alternative under the license...but this with the new Kury light below would be my preference for now (for now! HA famous last words)

Anyone?Humm I'll be watching this as that is what I'd like to do also.

stroguy
07-12-2015, 11:03 PM
Well I just took a looks and I say you have that extra 3/4". I shined a bright flashlight in there and the bulb looks recessed from the rear lense fairly good. And there probably is a buffer as you would not like a warm incandescent too close to the plastic to heat it and deform it over time. I will be watching this as well.

stroguy
07-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Lots of detailed pics here. Maybe ask a question of the seller for a quick measurement?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-14-HONDA-GOLDWING-1800-REAR-TAIL-LIGHT-BACK-BRAKE-LIGHT-/201244312283?hash=item2edb1882db&vxp=mtr

BIGLRY
07-12-2015, 11:50 PM
As I understand it this LED is a duel function LED, it is a running light hen when the brake is applied it goes super bright with a three flash blink and we would need two of them as there are two 7443 duel function run/brake light bulbs in the F6B?
Another ? as we all know most lighting systems require an LED compatible Flasher or Load Resistor(My Rune has a LED flasher). LED brake/tail lamps may not flash with most stock flasher units, is this going to be an issue too?:shrug:

stroguy
07-13-2015, 08:14 AM
This appears to be an internal electronically controlled LED lamp system Apply 12V and the on board electronics tells the LED to flash then go solid. Having a load resistor installed in turn signal flashing circuit typically is required for a self cancelling system or a mechanical relay which cannot sense enough current draw from an LED to engage the relay contact correctly. Then you have the flashing at 3 or 4 times the normal rate.

A braking/tail light system will have a singular ground and two voltage inputs. One is on all the time for the running/tail lamp filament, then a second voltage input when brakes are applied that will cause a second filament to illuminate.

Here is the 7443 dual filament bulb.

I say it will be plug and play.

thatonebiker
07-13-2015, 08:28 AM
Using a bulb like that will not shin the best I have tried ones like that looks bright and night shinning on the ground but it doesn't use the reflecter so it looks really small at the lense

Steve 0080
07-13-2015, 08:32 AM
I know a guy who has 10 rear lights NIB...so if you damage one they are easy to replace...

John 321-242-0720

Hornblower
07-13-2015, 08:48 AM
That's a pretty long bulb so I'm not at all sure there is room in there for that :shrug:. Other than that, my concern would be how this bulb can utilize the reflector. It appears the bulb mainly projects forward but it's hard to tell. If that's the case, I would not consider it. Also, it's a very low efficacy bulb so don't expect a lot of brightness. And finally, it's an expensive bulb. Frankly, I probably wouldn't go for it but I could be wrong and I wish you luck if you do. Let us know!

stroguy
07-13-2015, 09:00 AM
The worst is a red led shining behind a red lense. Probably will not be the brightest. I expect one of you rich folk to bite the bullet for a welfare prince like myself. Please report your findings.

Hornblower
07-13-2015, 09:28 AM
The worst is a red led shining behind a red lense. Probably will not be the brightest. I expect one of you rich folk fto bite the bullet for a welfare prince like myself. Please report your findings.

Choosing the LED bulb color based on lens color might not be what you expect. It had been my experience that red bulbs do work best with red lenses.

RickJ
07-13-2015, 10:16 AM
As I understand it this LED is a duel function LED, it is a running light hen when the brake is applied it goes super bright with a three flash blink and we would need two of them as there are two 7443 duel function run/brake light bulbs in the F6B?
Another ? as we all know most lighting systems require an LED compatible Flasher or Load Resistor(My Rune has a LED flasher). LED brake/tail lamps may not flash with most stock flasher units, is this going to be an issue too?:shrug:

My Triumph is a 2004 Thunderbird Sport...Hinkley made.: I've had 0 issues with JUST changing that rear bulbs (there are 2 in the trumpet too) I don't expect issues.

RickJ
07-13-2015, 10:19 AM
The worst is a red led shining behind a red lense. Probably will not be the brightest. I expect one of you rich folk fto bite the bullet for a welfare prince like myself. Please report your findings.

If I confirm the height fit...I'll do the princely thing and use my resources for the good of the Kingdom!

98valk
07-13-2015, 10:21 AM
I had these in my brake light location. They are red. They looked good and worked well and fit. Unfortunately, the led's started flaking out.

RickJ
07-13-2015, 11:37 AM
I had these in my brake light location. They are red. They looked good and worked well and fit. Unfortunately, the led's started flaking out.

I think I see a small package in my future...thx valk.

stroguy
07-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Choosing the LED bulb color based on lens color might not be what you expect. It had been my experience that red bulbs do work best with red lenses.

Very cool. I had some experience with our local car club and a few folks running red LEDs in their tails. Just didn't come off as bright as a white burning incandescent. Guess we should spec out the lumens produced of the incandescent and the LED.

EDIT- Found the incandescent burns 35 lumens and the LED link shows about 30 lumens. Not that big a dif so it probably would be as bright or insignificantly different.

RickJ
07-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Very cool. I had some experience with our local car club and a few folks running red LEDs in their tails. Just didn't come off as bright as a white burning incandescent. Guess we should spec out the lumens produced of the incandescent and the LED.

EDIT- Found the incandescent burns 35 lumens and the LED link shows about 30 lumens. Not that big a dif so it probably would be as bright or insignificantly different.

lumen on the spec sheet with my link is 55...

stroguy
07-13-2015, 12:49 PM
lumen on the spec sheet with my link is 55...

Yes you are correct. I saw the lm/W is 30, so a 1.9W lamp would be 55. Nice catch. I'm going back to bed, I'm fouling everything up today. Someone call me at the crack of 3 to pick up my government cheese please.

BIGLRY
07-13-2015, 01:29 PM
If I confirm the height fit...I'll do the princely thing and use my resources for the good of the Kingdom!And I kind sir will be waiting with bated breath your empirical results with the expectations of great success allowing me to procure the same with proven results as you go where no one has gone before.:icon_cool:

RickJ
07-13-2015, 02:00 PM
And I kind sir will be waiting with bated breath your empirical results with the expectations of great success allowing me to procure the same with proven results as you go where no one has gone before.:icon_cool:

AND you get extra credit for spelling "bated" correctly!! I'm sure you'll be on tenterhooks till I respond!

hiflyer
07-13-2015, 02:04 PM
OK boyz, I don't have the bike anymore, but what I do have is an extra taillight assembly. I just measured, sticking the tape in you have 2 1/16" from the lense to the base for the bulb assembly.

RickJ
07-13-2015, 02:14 PM
OK boyz, I don't have the bike anymore, but what I do have is an extra taillight assembly. I just measured, sticking the tape in you have 2 1/16" from the lense to the base for the bulb assembly.

should be good...the bulb measure was LOA.length overall and it was 2.14 not 2 1/4 as I misread.

Just ordered them

BIGLRY
07-13-2015, 02:31 PM
AND you get extra credit for spelling "bated" correctly!! I'm sure you'll be on tenterhooks till I respond!

:icon_rolleyes:As my uneasy suspense is prolonged, your journeys end will surely mitigate the situation.

stroguy
07-13-2015, 03:05 PM
should be good...the bulb measure was LOA.length overall and it was 2.14 not 2 1/4 as I misread.

Just ordered them

I have my cheese so I am back in the fight.........SWEET Rick! Do us a photo before and a photo after for brightness comparison please. I am going to send this link to my old car club buds.

RickJ
07-13-2015, 03:44 PM
I have my cheese so I am back in the fight.........SWEET Rick! Do us a photo before and a photo after for brightness comparison please. I am going to send this link to my old car club buds.

now I have to learn to post pics...ok

AFAIK it is a great company to work with- lotsa stuff and good customer service.

Travelor
07-13-2015, 05:18 PM
Signal Dynamics makes a tail light modulator that works great with the stock bulbs. Two flashing patterns to choose from when brakes are applied - 3 short, 1 long then repeat for as long as the brake is on, or 5 short then steady as long as brake is on (or just reapply the brake to get another flash sequence). I use the 2nd pattern, very pleased. Cars do seem to hang back just a bit further.

The wiring is a bit weird, as there are 2 wires that go "hot" (back by the rear light wiring) when the brakes are activated. I think one feeds each bulb. I just tied them both into the brake feed wiring on the unit and then the output from the unit into the other side of the same two wires and it works perfectly.

stroguy
07-13-2015, 05:27 PM
I think that is the beauty of these. No wiring, plug and play. Truly plug in, go play.

Travelor
07-13-2015, 05:32 PM
Probably is much simpler with just a bulb change, but I haven't found LED's yet that really have the brightness I want. Then again, I haven't looked in several years so perhaps technology has make some big jumps. Whatever works works.:icon_biggrin:

stroguy
07-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Rick has some anxious dogs wagging their tails. These report an almost doubled luminosity output. I'm still reserved on red LED on red lense but I think they are going to satisfy.woof woof.

Hornblower
07-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Rick has some anxious dogs wagging their tails. These report an almost doubled luminosity output. I'm still reserved on red LED on red lense but I think they are going to satisfy.woof woof.

I understand your reservation, Stroguy. And, that's not to say that a white LED won't work. What is comes down to is not only lumens but wavelength. I believe you'll find that a red LED has a wavelength that passes thru a red lens more easily. That's really what is behind that selection.

stroguy
07-13-2015, 06:00 PM
I am yours to learn from Ken. This will be a fun mod,me thanks Rick and all for the trip.

RickJ
07-13-2015, 06:04 PM
I understand your reservation, Stroguy. And, that's not to say that a white LED won't work. What is comes down to is not only lumens but wavelength. I believe you'll find that a red LED has a wavelength that passes thru a red lens more easily. That's really what is behind that selection.

OOOOOO fancy LUUUUMENS and wavelength ayyyy....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQDeU6dHX-c

Steve 0080
07-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Superbrightleds.com

MarcPW
07-13-2015, 11:28 PM
And I kind sir will be waiting with bated breath your empirical results with the expectations of great success allowing me to procure the same with proven results as you go where no one has gone before.:icon_cool

Same message you send to Neil Armstrong back in the days ? :clap2:

BradS
12-16-2015, 07:45 AM

Just ordered them

Where did you order from/part #?

Do they flash before going solid?

Thanks

Big Cat
12-16-2015, 07:39 PM

Anyone?

To take a slightly different tack on your question, I might ask, what is it you are trying to accomplish?

If you want the bike to have flashing LED brake lights, there's another, maybe better, way to do this:

Step 1: Buy new LED bulbs and flasher from SoCal Motosports or some other vendor.

Step 2: Buy an inexpensive wig-wag module off Amazon. I found one called SHO-2011 for under $20. It's compact enough to fit on the rear lightbar.

Step 3: Buy a TIR-3 or comparable strobe light to mount in place of your rear reflector. There is a flush-mount version that's a lot easier to install.

With these components installed, you will have up to 12 different synchronized flash patterns...meaning the brake lights and TIR-3 strobe all flash in unison.

You can even go one step further and install a push button switch above the license plate to change the flash pattern...

This solution provides significantly brighter brake lights by upgrading to LED bulbs, added conspicuity of the TIR-3, and still more conspicuity from the wig-wag flasher.

stroguy
12-16-2015, 08:55 PM
Where did you order from/part #?

Do they flash before going solid?

Thanks

Here is my install from a couple months ago.

http://youtu.be/QEu-Bq9-Tv8

http://youtu.be/fR07sklXCTM

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-bulbs/7443-led-bulb-w-brake-flasher-dual-function-1-high-power-led-wedge-retrofit-car/925/2276/#/tab/Specifications

Steve 0080
12-16-2015, 10:41 PM
WOW!!! You guys are killin me !!!!! :lolup:.notworthy.:stirthepot:

stroguy
12-16-2015, 11:10 PM
WOW!!! You guys are killin me !!!!! :lolup:.notworthy.:stirthepot:

Hey, do you have the link to that bulb?