PDA

View Full Version : Blocking off crossover update

buda315
07-14-2015, 03:08 PM
What is the final analysis of those who have chosen to block off their exhaust cross over? Solid disc total block or disc with lots of holes. Is either or both proving effective at eliminating or reducing droan? To my knowledge only one or two members have tried this option.

Any other solutions besides the torq loopz?

bobbyf6b
07-14-2015, 07:10 PM
I'd also like to know.

hgslayr
07-14-2015, 08:01 PM
I dont know about you guys but after riding a rune for 10 years I'm enjoying the quiet super smooth ride that I describe as floatinh on an air cushion like something out of "The Jetsons"...Not in any hurry to modify the exhaust...If I want loud I'll jump on the Rune but for now its sitting...lol

shooter
07-14-2015, 09:29 PM
Slayer , that is one smoking hot Rune. I'm slightly jealous. That don't happen too often. A Rune is the only bike I think looks better than my 109.

hgslayr
07-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Thanks shooter..its a fun bike but definitely diggin my F6..

hgslayr
07-14-2015, 10:48 PM
http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/curtisstates47hgslatr47/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150708_202013_zpsrgfh6r4c.jpg.html

Wmorgan2k
07-14-2015, 11:47 PM
I'm with you guys i have no desire to make the bike louder lol. It's pretty loud right now compared to the Wing. My Valkyrie however wouldn't mind giving that one a little more noise. Since the exhaust is the same I'm betting this can be done there too. Not sure blocking the crossover pipe is the way though. Part of engine performance is equalizing the exhaust pulses. Most modern performance exhaust implement a crossover of some sort to help increase performance usually in the form of an H or X style crossover to equalize exhaust gas pressures. There is a lot of options out there for exhaust upgrades for us but they don't really net much HP increase. 3-5 usually, it's mostly for the noise lol.

No Handle Sam
07-15-2015, 10:11 AM
I dont know about you guys but after riding a rune for 10 years I'm enjoying the quiet super smooth ride that I describe as floatinh on an air cushion like something out of "The Jetsons"...Not in any hurry to modify the exhaust...If I want loud I'll jump on the Rune but for now its sitting...lol

I hear you. It seems like every bike I have ever had the first thing I did was modify or replace the exhaust. This one may just stay in the "stealth mode". At least for a little while :icon_wink:

stepbill
07-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Just curious as to why people can't stay with the thread and answer the ops question. I don't think that anyone has talked about if they blocked off the crossover or not. Op, I'm sorry for getting off of the thread with this post! I have not done it but am also curious.

Steve 0080
07-15-2015, 10:33 PM
Just curious as to why people can't stay with the thread and answer the ops question. I don't think that anyone has talked about if they blocked off the crossover or not. Op, I'm sorry for getting off of the thread with this post! I have not done it but am also curious.

+1...there have been a couple who have done this...can't remember what the out come was other than it did stop the drone....

Hornblower
07-16-2015, 06:53 AM
+1...there have been a couple who have done this...can't remember what the out come was other than it did stop the drone....

Did it??? I didn't completely block the cross over but partially blocking did NOT stop the drone. Next is either Torq Loopz or smaller baffles for the Rush exhaust.

typhoon186
07-16-2015, 07:01 AM
My recommendation would be to NOT block or restrict the cross over pipe. Honda took the extra effort to put it there for a good reason. I won't try to explain it but you can search exhaust cross over pipe vs. X pipe and get an understanding of what is going on there.

It it didn't come with a cross over, I could see adding one but not removing one.

hgslayr
07-16-2015, 10:03 AM
The firing order is such that without the crossover youll have uneven sound just like the Rune...

buda315
07-17-2015, 08:48 PM

Thanks for speaking up Stepbill. Was thinking the same, but thought maybe eventually someone will chime in with info. on original question.

Thanks hornblower. The other person who experimented was Deer Slayer and he had reported that it did stop the drone.

Mystery continues, but there are enough reports that I have decided to go with the Torq Loopz that I have heard nothing but positive results.

Sure wish there was a cheaper fix to the stock unit with crossover. Besides keeping the entire stock set up. That would be TOO easy!!!:icon_rolleyes:

Hornblower
07-18-2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks hornblower. The other person who experimented was Deer Slayer and he had reported that it did stop the drone.

Maybe a better definition of drone would be helpful. DS, who BTW helped me mod my crossover pipe, defines drone as being the varying pitch kind of noise, sort of a wah-wah-wah-wah sound. OTOH, my definition of drone is a constant, resonant, and annoying hum at highway speeds. The partially blocked crossover did seem to reduce the varying pitch but, as I've already said, did NOT take away the constant hum. So, if you want to experiment with a complete blockage of your crossover, be my guest and let us know the result.

Deer Slayer
07-20-2015, 07:54 AM
Maybe a better definition of drone would be helpful. DS, who BTW helped me mod my crossover pipe, defines drone as being the varying pitch kind of noise, sort of a wah-wah-wah-wah sound. OTOH, my definition of drone is a constant, resonant, and annoying hum at highway speeds. The partially blocked crossover did seem to reduce the varying pitch but, as I've already said, did NOT take away the constant hum. So, if you want to experiment with a complete blockage of your crossover, be my guest and let us know the result.

Amen, HB. My F6B was sold at auction in Atlanta. The new owner does not know of the mod. If the owner is on here the exhaust looks like this.

Blackedout2014
07-20-2015, 10:19 AM
What is the final analysis of those who have chosen to block off their exhaust cross over? Solid disc total block or disc with lots of holes. Is either or both proving effective at eliminating or reducing droan? To my knowledge only one or two members have tried this option.

Any other solutions besides the torq loopz?

Torq Loopz and Rush pipes. Absolutely wonderful :yes::yes::yes:

BIGLRY
07-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Torq Loopz and Jekill & Hyde pipes, 100% no drone and an adjustable exhaust note like no other.:icon_twisted:

bobbyf6b
07-20-2015, 02:47 PM
Torq Loopz and Jekill & Hyde pipes, 100% no drone and an adjustable exhaust note like no other.:icon_twisted:

.notworthy.