PDA

View Full Version : Traxxion Front Suspension Upgrade

Bruce B
07-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Last week I had my front end upgraded with the Traxxion AK-20, Traxxion lower half of the triple tree, and All Balls. The work was done by California Sport Touring (CST)in Hercules, CA (just west of San Francisco Bay area and 75 east of my home in Sacramento). Prior to ordering the Traxxion, Kim, the owner at CST, offered me the opportunity to come ride his GL 1800 with the Full Monte. I took him up on his offer and promptly ordered my front end done. Rode back to Sacramento in 107 degree heat (was saved by my LD Comfort base layer used as directed). A week later the parts had arrived and I returned for the install which was accomplished in a timely fashion while I waited. It takes quite a while but was a lot more convenient than trying to drop the bike off and return for it later. I can't say enough about Kim Leong, the owner of CST and his staff. First class friendly service and the highest level of professionalism.

On Saturday, the day after the install, I made a 300+ mile ride with a group in the Sierra foothills and mountains. The roads were mostly fine but had the bumps you'd expect on roads that suffer the severe Sierra winters. Tremendous amount of heavy and rough tar snakes. Had a lot of 15-45 mph posted cornering, a great deal of it on steep climbs or descents into river canyons, etc. Had one single lane, barely paved road. The ride was at a very brisk pace but wasn't a road burner. All in all a good test for Traxxion. I was impressed and would spend the money all over again. Believe the hype you've read and what Traxxion says about the product. Check out the reviews on the Traxxion site. Anything I say would be just a reiteration of what's already been written. I now think that I'll have the rear shock done later.

POINT OF INTEREST - The tech at CST discovered that my fork tubes under the lower half of the triple tree are rusting. The rust has been traveling down the fork tubes and would soon be to the sweep area of the fork seals. It looks like, perhaps, a bad plating job. Has anyone else experienced this? I 'm calling my Honda dealer today and am expecting this to be taken care of under warranty. I'm also expecting that there will be some push back from Honda on this so I'd really like to hear from anyone else who'd had this problem. Kim, at CST, took pictures of the rust damage and forwarded them to me as evidence. The rust can't be seen without disassembly. Many thanks to anyone who can share their past experience on this and also on how to proceed with warranty issues. Warranty issues with paint problems not included, please. I'm very happy that CST was thorough enough to notice and bring this problem to my attention.

Bottom line, I highly recommend the Traxxion setup and also highly recommend CST. Because of problems getting installations done in southern California, I know of some from southern CA who are traveling to CST to have the work done.

Thanks in advance to any with suggestions on warranty work.

Bruce

Steve 0080
07-15-2015, 10:21 PM
I did the Progressive install...no rust....

hgslayr
07-16-2015, 12:13 AM
How do you like the Progressive system Steve?...Do you have a link?

wantone
07-16-2015, 06:34 AM
I have the progressive lower tubes now but plan on doing the traxxion upgrade next year. Progressives are really good for small bumps and rough roads compared to stock but I got beat up on the last ride from St. Louis. I'm short so prefer the lower monotubes from progressive. plan on doing the traxxion upgrade and raising the tubes at triple tree to lower the bike for my comfort.

As of now bike is at the dealer getting Australian cruise control, 3/4 lowering kit and ultimate seat installed. I leave for sturgis on July 21. Will be gone for 2 weeks.

Steve 0080
07-16-2015, 08:00 PM
The Progressive Lowering monotubes are...very nice...I have had them for about a year at this point... no complaints !!!! About $600 total installed.....

http://wingstuff.com/shop/?keyword=progressive

hgslayr
07-16-2015, 08:59 PM
How much lower do the progressives lower the bike and does this affect the angle that you can go through the twisties in

ths61
07-20-2015, 04:36 PM
I had California Sport Touring in Hercules, CA do a Traxxion install last week along with some additional service items. Kim planned ahead and was very friendly and hospitable. Their prices and service was great. I would not hesitate to be a patron of their shop again, just wish they were closer to my location for regular service work. Kim and his team got me in and out in one day and followed up after the work was done to make sure everything was good. That is great customer service.

The B's handling is night and day difference with the upgrade. It took me a while to get used to the lighter, more responsive steering once I got back on the bike after the changes. I have @ 400 miles one up and @ 300 miles 2 up (including formation riding and lane splitting) with the new suspension so I have had a chance to run it on a variety of road surfaces (good and bad). Handling has improved in parking lots, twisties and highway. No more ADV which means a working front suspension during braking.

The Traxxion fork brace made a big improvement by itself to my B, but the new fork shocks, springs, all balls and lower triple clamp added much more. My old wrists are much happier now after long rides on rough roads.

As Bruce mentioned, Kim lets you ride his Traxxion-ized Wing on a test loop. I witnessed a Wing rider's response in person when he came back from the test loop while I was waiting for the work to be completed. It pretty much sells itself.

California Sport Touring, Hercules, CA (http://www.casporttouring.com/)