PDA

View Full Version : Must have items for a long trip.

okiedoc
07-18-2015, 08:58 AM
My wife and I are taking a trip from OK to Denver, CO on the F6B. I will be pulling our trailer and we are mounting a cooler on the tongue. What are your must haves on a long, multi-day trip? We will be leaving in the evening on Thursday and will be driving through the panhandle so it is going to be dry and hot. I am hoping to get halfway there and get up early Friday so we can make it into Denver before it gets too hot. We are going to watch the NHRA drag races on Saturday and Sunday. Motorcycle parking is always close to the gates:icon_lol:.

ff73148
07-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Cell phone and charger.

okiedoc
07-18-2015, 09:49 AM
Sure don't want to forget those.

53driver
07-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Long trip items:
First Aid kit
small, bright flashlight with fresh batteries (all 'fun' stuff happens at night)
tarp that will cover the bike (and the 'fun' stuff always happens in the rain)
twine or bungee cords to hold the tarp (make a 'lean-to' between the bike and another object)
enough tools to do what you can should it become necessary (your mileage may vary)
duct tape, electrical tape, zip ties and krazy glue to do what you didn't have tools for (indispensable!)
disposable rags to clean whatever up with
Spare fuses - maybe not as necessary with the F6B
spare bike/trailer key
spare prescription eyeglasses/sunglasses - if applicable (we're not 29 anymore)
prescription meds as applicable
sharpened pocket knife (something always needs cutting)
If you are legal to do so, a "personal lead dispenser" with extra lead.

And, lastly, whatever makes the estrogen-based life-form happy.
Safe travels.

nvmyf6
07-18-2015, 11:56 AM
A tire repair kit, you know a plug kit, and side cutters to pull out the object and to cut off the excess plug.

Sense you have a trailer, you can pack a tire pump, maybe a small 12v battery to operate the pump so you won't have to use the bikes battery.

A good digital camera with extra SD cards for lots and lots pictures :clap2:

Have a great time 'all/right'

BuzzzPhotos
07-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Cool vests might be in order for the ride. Enjoy the ride:icon_cool:

RickJ
07-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Long trip items:
First Aid kit
small, bright flashlight with fresh batteries (all 'fun' stuff happens at night)
tarp that will cover the bike (and the 'fun' stuff always happens in the rain)
twine or bungee cords to hold the tarp (make a 'lean-to' between the bike and another object)
enough tools to do what you can should it become necessary (your mileage may vary)
duct tape, electrical tape, zip ties and krazy glue to do what you didn't have tools for (indispensable!)
disposable rags to clean whatever up with
Spare fuses - maybe not as necessary with the F6B
spare bike/trailer key
spare prescription eyeglasses/sunglasses - if applicable (we're not 29 anymore)
prescription meds as applicable
sharpened pocket knife (something always needs cutting)
If you are legal to do so, a "personal lead dispenser" with extra lead.

And, lastly, whatever makes the estrogen-based life-form happy.
Safe travels.

"personal lead dispenser" nice. Here in Cuomoland- I can only get to Vermont with my lead dispenser...can't go through Manhattan or LI either...I'd hate this state even more if it weren't so pretty!

Good list- and reasons. Maybe add phone number of a neighbor who can get into your house when you wonder if you turned the stove off!

okiedoc
07-18-2015, 01:53 PM
All very helpful ideas, Thanks.:yes:

Spanky
07-18-2015, 02:17 PM
A tire plug kit is the best idea. I have sat on the side of the road in SD for 5 hours while waiting for a tube. ( not my bike) tubeless tires are the way to go!
Compact lead dispenser is a must.
Credit card is a must.
basic hand tools Metric and 10 in one screwdriver, all those little allen wrenches.
underwear, socks, a few shirts, 2 pairs of jeans and raingear ( i highly suggest underwear for men UFM- amazon it)
cell phone and cable
a few plastic shopping bags to put the wet stuff in, or wear under your boots so your toes keep dry.

that should fill up only 1 saddlebag.

Which leaves 1 saddlebag and the trailer for her. on second thought, that's too much space you'll take up. just take a credit card phone and gun... walmart is everywhere.

Old Ryder
07-18-2015, 04:46 PM
lots of water, Chapstick, eye drops, eye protection and cleaner for it. Other stuff I need, I buy along the way as needed.

Steve 0080
07-18-2015, 06:14 PM
Make sure you tell the credit card company you have that you will be traveling.....

Some great other advice here as well !!!!

The ...."personal lead dispenser" deal almost made me wet myself !!!

okiedoc
07-18-2015, 06:45 PM
Would the Kel Tec KSG be overkill? I'm thinking Tex Cobb in Raising Arizona. Without the grenades, that didn't work out well.

Spanky
07-19-2015, 06:04 AM
Would the Kel Tec KSG be overkill? I'm thinking Tex Cobb in Raising Arizona. Without the grenades, that didn't work out well.

Colapse the stock and it should fit across the dash.

RickJ
07-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Colapse the stock and it should fit across the dash.

kel-tec does make a very concealable P-3AT. You better be VERY close to the threat though!!http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/09/don-gammill-jr/gun-review-kel-tec-p3at-380/

Spanky
07-19-2015, 08:44 AM
Just got an m&p 40 . Amazed how thin it is.

unsub
07-19-2015, 07:43 PM
@okiedoc
Lots of good ideas for your list already. One thing I do or keep, for that matter, is a folder in the cloud that has all my pertinent information on me and my bike.
Pic of the bike w/licence plate
Pic of registration and insurance papers
Pic of DL
Pic of Passport
...and so on.

If the unthinkable happens you have records of all important things at your fingertips.

Lastly on the topic of credit cards, leave your permanent ones at home and bring along pre paid if possible.

PS have a great trip!

53driver
07-19-2015, 07:51 PM
@okiedoc
Lots of good ideas for your list already. One thing I do or keep, for that matter, is a folder in the cloud that has all my pertinent information on me and my bike.
Pic of the bike w/licence plate
Pic of registration and insurance papers
Pic of DL
Pic of Passport
...and so on.

If the unthinkable happens you have records of all important things at your fingertips.

Lastly on the topic of credit cards, leave your permanent ones at home and bring along pre paid if possible.

PS have a great trip!

Great ideas! Thanks mate!

GaTeach
06-01-2016, 11:57 PM
. just take a credit card phone and gun... walmart is everywhere.

This is how I roll

MisterB
06-02-2016, 12:49 AM
Sunscreen for those little spots that don't get covered by gear.
After riding last Sunday I realized my new gloves leave a little area on each hand open.
Also consider on face and neck depending on helmet coverage.
Leatherman in handy location, paper and pencil, and pretty much all the other stuff mentioned.

Be sure you're familiar with a way to power your portable 12V air compressor before heading out. The cubby outlet won't cut it.
Prolly best to cut the ends off and replace with clamps or a plug that mates to one on your battery. Run compressor with bike engine running.

Quick shoutout to my new favorite piece of travel gear: Trangia alcohol stove.
Trangia Spirit Stove Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001X3NNC/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_yz8txbV8N110P
It heats a big pot of water in the morning and can also make breakfast.
Omg the fires we've made for coffee and eggs. Never again.
Denatured alcohol is recommended fuel, available in gallon sizes at Home Depot or equivalent.
You can make versions of these stoves if you prefer DIY. You'll hardly go wrong using the Trangia as a starting point. If anyone is too broke to afford one I'll send you a homemade one. Pm me.
Check YouTube for alcohol stove. Please be careful!

taxfree4
06-02-2016, 02:12 AM
Find out which states don't sell alcohol on Sunday ALL day, Indiana (Amish Mafia). Nothing worse than riding all day thinking about kicking back with a cold one and finding out that a guy who rides a horse and buggy and has no electricity just humped you out of a Heineken. Also, I wound up picking a dry county in PA. on the way back, I bet you can Google that, or BYOB.

GaTeach
06-02-2016, 03:16 AM
Find out which states don't sell alcohol on Sunday ALL day, Indiana (Amish Mafia). Nothing worse than riding all day thinking about kicking back with a cold one and finding out that a guy who rides a horse and buggy and has no electricity just humped you out of a Heineken. Also, I wound up picking a dry county in PA. on the way back, I bet you can Google that, or BYOB.

Same in NE GA but we have Talibaptists instead of Amish Mafia.

wjduke
06-02-2016, 04:32 AM
Don't come to Massachusetts on a holiday. No alcohol sold at retail, like this past Memorial Day. I don't drink, ( well, I don't count a beer every once in a while ) but it's the dumbest law we have. Used to be Sunday's too, but they relaxed that. You can drink at a bar, just can't buy it....make sense?

taxfree4
06-02-2016, 05:08 AM
Don't come to Massachusetts on a holiday. No alcohol sold at retail, like this past Memorial Day. I don't drink, ( well, I don't count a beer every once in a while ) but it's the dumbest law we have. Used to be Sunday's too, but they relaxed that. You can drink at a bar, just can't buy it....make sense?

With the biggest bootleggers and drunks in the nation, the Kennedy Family, from Massachusets that gets filed under "ironic".

taxfree4
06-02-2016, 05:12 AM
Same in NE GA but we have Talibaptists instead of Amish Mafia.

I thought the Catholics were a PITA with this, of which I am, but you would think now that "America" is on the can instead of Budweiser drinking should be the most patriotic thing you can do any day of the week.

wjduke
06-02-2016, 06:20 AM
With the biggest bootleggers and drunks in the nation, the Kennedy Family, from Massachusets that gets filed under "ironic".
Good point...the Kennedy regime is pretty much over though. They have their area in Hyannisport, that's about it.

terryboyle
06-02-2016, 08:59 AM
Travel Light...
Take half the stuff and twice the credit cards.

My girlfriend and I travelled the world for 9 months in 2015 we hit 14 countries. She had a 40 litre Deuter backpack and a modest purse, I had a 42 litre Deuter backpack and a small camera bag. It was all carry-on.

Great preparation for short bike vacations.

GaTeach
06-02-2016, 12:43 PM

Well... That's about economics. Bootleggers want strict liquor laws.

Up here in North Ga is a different story. Shine is popular here because then the Baptists don't have to speak to each other in the liquor store.

GaTeach
06-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Travel Light...
Take half the stuff and twice the credit cards.

My girlfriend and I travelled the world for 9 months in 2015 we hit 14 countries. She had a 40 litre Deuter backpack and a modest purse, I had a 42 litre Deuter backpack and a small camera bag. It was all carry-on.

Great preparation for short bike vacations.

This. Yes. My aspiration.

Phone, personal lead dispenser, plastic

(And the amount of extra ammo is dependent on whether Shooter watched Cops the night before)

stevenolts
06-02-2016, 02:33 PM
The phone number for road side assistance.

I am telling you that but I am not sure I have the correct number.
Is this the correct number for Honda road side assistance:

800-555-3496

I have these other numbers also (I don't know which is the correct number)
866-864-5211
866-784-1870

I signed up for the Honda extended road side assistance but I never got anything but a receipt for payment. I have not needed them so far in 16,700 miles.

stevenolts
06-02-2016, 02:34 PM
Did you guys get a road side assistance card or kit?
Steve

Felloverboard
06-02-2016, 03:00 PM
When traveling out west in the summer you should have plenty of Powerade or Gatorades in your cooler and chug a 32 oz one everytime you stop for gas even if you don't think you need one. You will de-hydrate faster than you realize in the dry heat. Having them in your cooler is good incase of emergency stops and or road construction holdups also. If you freeze them the night before they act as ice for other items also.

53driver
06-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Did you guys get a road side assistance card or kit?
Steve

I did not. Not sure if I was entitled to one though.

stevenolts
06-02-2016, 03:19 PM
53 did you buy the extended warranty?
Steve

53driver
06-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Steve

I did. Should it be a part of that?

stevenolts
06-02-2016, 03:43 PM
I don't know that is why I am asking.
Steve

53driver
06-02-2016, 04:18 PM
Steve

I did. Should it be a part of that?

I don't know that is why I am asking.
Steve

Apparently we are both blissfully ignorant.....

Anybody help these two Steves get sorted????