PDA

View Full Version : New to the F6b World after longtime Valkyrie Ownership.

wiggy
07-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Hi all, I thought I would introduce myself and thank Phantom and the staff for adding me to this great site. I've been known as Wiggydotcom for the past 14 yrs but have shortened it to wiggy on this board. I already know a few members here and look forward to meeting many more.
I come over from the Valkyrie World and have owned two beautiful black Interstates. The first one I bought brand new in 01 and put 68k miles on it before a teenage girl blew a stop sign and I broadsided her and totaled out the bike in 07.

In O9, I bought a used Valkyrie I/S and started all over the process of accessorizing it and had it very much to my liking. Last month I attended the annual Valkyrie rally in Spearfish and after the rally was over I headed out for Colorado to see my daughter. While traveling along at 65mph, a 100 or so lb doe had other plans for me and came out of nowhere. I had no time to brake and hit her doing the full 65mph but kept the bike upright. I wasn't about to leave my bike in Timbucktoo, Wyoming. I checked it out....hmmmm...no leaking fluids---seems intact, so I pointed her for home and traveled 1100 miles with no headlights all the while being undetected by LEOs. Of course, I only traveled by daylight.

The bike ended up being totaled and I got a pretty good settlement. Folks, I catch on pretty quick and saw a pattern developing here. Maybe it was time to buy another bike besides a Valkyrie. I loved the Flat6 Valk but I didn't look back when I picked up a brand new 2013 right out of the crate F6b standard. Now the accessorizing begins anew.
From the old to the new.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/20150610_153657_zps3jddkrju.jpg

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/received_10206923498717110_zpszzmhkxkc.jpeg

redbaron
07-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Wow, amazing story! Welcome!!

unsub
07-22-2015, 09:27 PM
Welcome from the PNW.
I think what I hear you saying is that on group rides you run point...:icon_lol:

powercruzer13
07-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Wondering when you were coming over to the new side! :icon_twisted:

See my sig & figure out who I am on the VRCC, it shouldn't be too hard. :icon_cool:

Congrats on the upgrade!

wiggy
07-22-2015, 09:35 PM
Wow, amazing story! Welcome!!

Thanks, redbaron!

Welcome from the PNW.
I think what I hear you saying is that on group rides you run point...:icon_lol:

Lol...I'm not too sure about that-running point....but I am kinda getting used to the impacts! :yikes: And thanks for the welcome!

wiggy
07-22-2015, 09:59 PM
Wondering when you were coming over to the new side! :icon_twisted:

See my sig & figure out who I am on the VRCC, it shouldn't be too hard. :icon_cool:

Congrats on the upgrade!

Hmmm, I'm gonna take a wild stab here and say Tropic Traveler. How close am I, Bob? I'm liking this new side so far.

I've already ordered a new convertible shield through Wingstuff and have a center stand on the way. Slowly but surely she'll take shape.

Steve 0080
07-22-2015, 10:30 PM
'welcome gang' to the board !!!!!!

shooter
07-22-2015, 10:31 PM
You got nine lives Wiggy. Add some chrome to that thing!! That's just mine and Steve's opinion. Others may differ. But what do they know. Welcome.

stroguy
07-22-2015, 10:37 PM
Welcome

wiggy
07-22-2015, 11:07 PM
QUOTE=Steve 0080;88612]'welcome gang' to the board !!!!!![/QUOTE]

Thanks, Steve...and thanks for your help early on!

You got nine lives Wiggy. Add some chrome to that thing!! That's just mine and Steve's opinion. Others may differ. But what do they know. Welcome.

I'd like to think I have 7 lives left, shooter! Is that also you by that handle on the VRCC? As for the chrome, I'm kinda digging the black look...no so much that I'll go completely stealth but man, I can clean this bike in 10 minutes. Couldn't do that with all the nooks and crannies on the old one.

Welcome

Thanks, stroguy! I'll try to be active and contribute what I can. I have a lot to learn. If I hadn't had Valkyries and known this engine's predecessor, I wouldn't have known where to check and change the oil...haha. Gotta get used to the Tupperware.:icon_wink:

53driver
07-22-2015, 11:12 PM
Welcome Wiggy! You are a very lucky man....glad to have you on this side.
You going to make it to the Franklin Rally?

richw56
07-23-2015, 12:12 AM
Welcome to a great forum!
I hope the teenage girls and deer (along with anything else that might total a bike on you) stay away from your F6B!

bobbyf6b
07-23-2015, 12:13 AM
Welcome from Arizona! :th_sunbathe:

BuzzzPhotos
07-23-2015, 12:40 AM
Congrats with this new purchase! Lots of add ons & recommendations on this forum. Lots of great guys & ladies.

hgslayr
07-23-2015, 01:20 AM
Welcome to the board and F6B ownership..The best riding bike Ive owned to compliment my 2005 Rune...
This bike(F6B) handles like a dream..Check out socalmotogears HID lites if youre looking for an immediate upgrade...lol

hgslayr
07-23-2015, 01:24 AM
http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/curtisstates47hgslatr47/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150715_173624_zpszvnaomaf.jpg.html

JackB
07-23-2015, 06:07 AM
Welcome from another VRCC member. You should share your picture of your pie tin headlights.

seadog
07-23-2015, 06:16 AM
Welcome from the great state of Michigan and if you have been reading our threads the first thing to check on the new machine is the final drive oil, a lot of us have found that the dealers were not topping them off because they are factory filled.

wiggy
07-23-2015, 06:43 AM
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the warm welcome.

There are a couple responses I need to address.

Welcome from another VRCC member. You should share your picture of your pie tin headlights.

Thanks, Jack. To clarify what Jack is mentioning, when I made it home safely and learned my bike was totaled, I still wanted to ride it to work for the last few days. I had to somehow fix my headlights. My whole fairing was pretty much blown away and the headlights didn't work at all. Once I got the bike home, I found out it was just a blown fuse and replaced it. I still had to fashion reflectors as the bulbs alone weren't too visible. I came up with aluminum foil pie tins---complete with covers. I guess you could say I'm a designer...haha.
First pic is of the tins...Second one is showing them on in the garage.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/20150629_203708_zpsq7oylbwt.jpg

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/20150629_204720_zpsgvrwtsuo.jpg

Welcome from the great state of Michigan and if you have been reading our threads the first thing to check on the new machine is the final drive oil, a lot of us have found that the dealers were not topping them off because they are factory filled.

Thanks, seadog....I will check that fluid level. My left over synthetic final drive oil from the Valkyrie is something like 90/140 weight and I wasn't sure if I should use that or just go with straight 80 or whatever was called for, if low.

As far as mods, I don't have unlimited funds but thanks to posts on here, I have already secured a center stand for 75 shipped, I bought the accessory plug, a Ram mount with 2 balls that secures to the side of my clutch reservoir, have a Bagger 11-19 inch windshield coming today and last night ordered the Ergo IIIs in black. Those were the main things I needed to address to make the bike more comfortable. I'll have to sell off a few Valkyrie parts left over to buy more bling. :)

Fla_rider
07-23-2015, 06:44 AM
Welcome from Tampa Florida! And getter dun!

shortleg0521
07-23-2015, 06:44 AM
Hi all, I thought I would introduce myself and thank Phantom and the staff for adding me to this great site. I've been known as Wiggydotcom for the past 14 yrs but have shortened it to wiggy on this board. I already know a few members here and look forward to meeting many more.
I come over from the Valkyrie World and have owned two beautiful black Interstates. The first one I bought brand new in 01 and put 68k miles on it before a teenage girl blew a stop sign and I broadsided her and totaled out the bike in 07.

In O9, I bought a used Valkyrie I/S and started all over the process of accessorizing it and had it very much to my liking. Last month I attended the annual Valkyrie rally in Spearfish and after the rally was over I headed out for Colorado to see my daughter. While traveling along at 65mph, a 100 or so lb doe had other plans for me and came out of nowhere. I had no time to brake and hit her doing the full 65mph but kept the bike upright. I wasn't about to leave my bike in Timbucktoo, Wyoming. I checked it out....hmmmm...no leaking fluids---seems intact, so I pointed her for home and traveled 1100 miles with no headlights all the while being undetected by LEOs. Of course, I only traveled by daylight.

The bike ended up being totaled and I got a pretty good settlement. Folks, I catch on pretty quick and saw a pattern developing here. Maybe it was time to buy another bike besides a Valkyrie. I loved the Flat6 Valk but I didn't look back when I picked up a brand new 2013 right out of the crate F6b standard. Now the accessorizing begins anew.
From the old to the new.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/20150610_153657_zps3jddkrju.jpg

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/received_10206923498717110_zpszzmhkxkc.jpeg

Glad you are OK and welcome.
I know how you feel, as I too am an old Valkyrie rider for years.
Got my F6B last july right after the Inzane in North Carolina.
Had 80,0000 miles on her and sold her to a family member.
You are right you have to make it fit you just as the rest of us did.
I rode mine to Inzane in Spearfise this year and had a blast going
through the curves and such.
I am glad that I addsd the cruise control before I left for Inzane
as it was about 1800 miles each way for me.
You will find that there is less things to do than Valk as the
rear goes.
ENJOY.
shortleg

six2go
07-23-2015, 07:07 AM
Welcome aboard Wiggy :039:

I came over here about 15 months ago from the VRCC. I think you'll enjoy the atmosphere in this room.

dickiedeals
07-23-2015, 12:14 PM
.welcome20........From Port. St. John Fl.........:th_sunbathe:.................Dickie

wiggy
07-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Thanks, guys..Shortleg, we've met and talked on a few occasions at IZ, including a few weeks ago.

Rudy
07-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Welcome, from another who came from the VRCC and a long time Valkyrie owner. I picked up my F6B this past spring, like any other bike it just needs a little tweaking to make it work for you. Fantastic bike, good luck with it and ride safe. :yes:

zzh54
07-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the board. You should have lots of fun here, the pie tins, you definitely think outside the box. Good luck

wiggy
07-23-2015, 04:44 PM
Welcome, from another who came from the VRCC and a long time Valkyrie owner. I picked up my F6B this past spring, like any other bike it just needs a little tweaking to make it work for you. Fantastic bike, good luck with it and ride safe. :yes:

Thanks, Rudy. I still have a lot of friends at the VRCC and will check in often. With that said, this will be my new home. Thanks to all for making me feel welcome!

Trike lady
07-23-2015, 05:40 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats. :yes:

firetech
07-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Another warm welcome from sunny Florida .welcome20.:th_sunbathe:
Congrats on your new bike.

Big Jay
07-23-2015, 08:18 PM
Welcome from the unusually warm state of Oregon. Enjoy the new ride. "fireybat"

nvmyf6
07-24-2015, 12:47 AM
Hey Russ, .welcome20. to the forum.

Thanks for sharing the pie pan picture, and definitely a story worth sharing.

I know you have a windscreen and the center stand coming, but I also want to recommend "Grip Puppies". You may have heard about them. There's a discussion about em on the Accessories fourm.

There a soft spongy covers that slide over your grips. They add thickness and gives you a better grip. Highly recommended these, check em out :icon_mrgreen:

http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/product.sc?productId=1067&categoryId=103

wiggy
07-24-2015, 06:23 AM
Hey Russ, .welcome20. to the forum.

Thanks for sharing the pie pan picture, and definitely a story worth sharing.

I know you have a windscreen and the center stand coming, but I also want to recommend "Grip Puppies". You may have heard about them. There's a discussion about em on the Accessories fourm.

There a soft spongy covers that slide over your grips. They add thickness and gives you a better grip. Highly recommended these, check em out :icon_mrgreen:

http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/product.sc?productId=1067&categoryId=103

Thanks, Dennis. I got the new Baggershield put on yesterday. I adjusted the lower 11 inch portion upward all the way in the slots and it's perfect. I can hear the radio very well and the wind hits me right at about helmet vent level. I also put the top shield on to see what it was like and it blocks all wind. The Ergo III pegs will be here tomorrow so it's coming along. I will certainly check out those Grip Puppies. It sounds like something definitely to add. I had the Kuryakyn grips on the Valks and these F6b stock grips are definitely smaller in diameter.

nvmyf6
07-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Dennis. I got the new Baggershield put on yesterday. I adjusted the lower 11 inch portion upward all the way in the slots and it's perfect. I can hear the radio very well and the wind hits me right at about helmet vent level. I also put the top shield on to see what it was like and it blocks all wind. The Ergo III pegs will be here tomorrow so it's coming along. I will certainly check out those Grip Puppies. It sounds like something definitely to add. I had the Kuryakyn grips on the Valks and these F6b stock grips are definitely smaller in diameter.

Yes, the 11" height windscreen I have, works perfect for me, blocks the right amount of wind and I can hear the radio just fine as well.

I like the grip puppies because it adds that little bit of thickness, I was use to, on my Interstate. The grip puppies are a little tight getting on. I used soapy water, then twist and push and the same time repeatedly, and just work 'em on. The throttle side is definitely more difficult, just take yer time with it, and them puppies will slide right on there, great investment :biggthumpup:

RickW
07-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Welcome from NE Ohio. I too had a Valkyrie since 1998. Did not ride it after I got the F6B. Our youngest son rode it for a year then he got a new Valkyrie F6C. Recently sold our old Valkyrie.
Rick

Jimmytee
07-26-2015, 08:03 AM
I thought I had already posted in this but I guess not. Again. welcome. Are you going to make it to the Franklin Rally?

Greg O
07-26-2015, 08:22 AM
After lurking around here for a month or so made me realize I needed a F6B, bought one last month and I haven't looked back. I don't think I will ever own another V Twin again. Lots of good info on this forum, and a good place to make some friends with a common interest. Welcome to the forum.

cwjj2001
07-26-2015, 08:26 AM
.welcome20.'welcome gang':039:

Dave Ritsema
07-26-2015, 08:47 AM
Welcome Russ,

As you can see, lots of Valkyrie folks here, several of which I feel like I may have influenced a bit to the F6B. I knew I had shortleg hooked after IZ in North Carolina. Six2go and I talked about the F6B prior to his purchase about as much as you and I did. There are a few other VRCC members looking hard right now too. For me at least, this bike is the closest replacement to the Valkyrie Interstate that Honda offers.