PDA

View Full Version : Hydroplaning?

Vol1chuck
07-23-2015, 03:49 PM
I'm getting very interested in this CT thing, and have done some reading but haven't seen anything on this subject. I know that MC tires CAN'T hydroplane, due to their shape and design. Have any of you darksiders experienced hydroplaning with the CT?

shooter
07-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Not with my Michelin Alpin. I rode in a driving rain two weeks ago no prob. Who told you that a MC tire won't hydroplane?

bob109
07-23-2015, 06:05 PM
I'm getting very interested in this CT thing, and have done some reading but haven't seen anything on this subject. I know that MC tires CAN'T hydroplane, due to their shape and design. Have any of you darksiders experienced hydroplaning with the CT?

I had a Avon Venom R 250 on the rear of my Suzuki M109 and when I tell you my a$$ was at a pucker factor of 10 from hydroplaning is putting it lightly. The Venom is a cycle tire! The wider the tire tread/thread with insufficient groves/sipes the more likely any tire will hydroplane, be it a MT or CT!

I'm a Dark Sider with almost 35000 miles on General G- Max's and never had a issue with hydroplaning. I ride 12 months out of the year with 6 of those months in sunny Florida between Oct/Apr and have had my share of quick Florida downpours without incident. The Max is rock solid wet or dry!

A few pics of the Mac's thread for clarity!

Pap
07-23-2015, 07:04 PM
I had a Avon Venom R 250 on the rear of my Suzuki M109 and when I tell you my a$$ was at a pucker factor of 10 from hydroplaning is putting it lightly. The Venom is a cycle tire! The wider the tire tread/thread with insufficient groves/sipes the more likely any tire will hydroplane, be it a MT or CT!

I'm a Dark Sider which almost 35000 miles on General G- Max's and never had a issue with hydroplaning. I ride 12 months out of the year with 6 of those months in sunny Florida between Oct/Apr and have had my share of quick Florida downpours without incident. The Max is rock solid wet or dry!

A few pics of the Mac's thread for clarity!

+1
I also had the pucker factor running a 280 on the back of my 109. I put a Dunlop Direzza Star Spec ( CT ) on and found it had had way better traction on wet and dry roads.

seadog
07-23-2015, 07:35 PM
If the water is deep enough your going to hydroplane. They don't make a tire that won't

shooter
07-23-2015, 08:17 PM
Ding ding ding. Give the man a prize. Dog you are exactly right. Some tires are better than others. If that water is deep enough you will hydroplane. Unless you can fly.

Steve 0080
07-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Ding ding ding. Give the man a prize. Dog you are exactly right. Some tires are better than others. If that water is deep enough you will hydroplane. Unless you can fly.

+2...although like Bob, I have not had the CT hydro !!!!!

BIGLRY
07-23-2015, 08:26 PM
I'm getting very interested in this CT thing, and have done some reading but haven't seen anything on this subject. I know that MC tires CAN'T hydroplane, due to their shape and design. Have any of you darksiders experienced hydroplaning with the CT?I respectfully disagree with that statement and have empirical evidence as I'm sure other that have ridden in the rain do.
MC tires do & will Hydroplane if the water is deep enough and you are going fast enough say 1" and about 45 MPH as that is when it happened to me. Raining hard for a few days and all I had was my scoot to get to work so rain ridding was an everyday thing, but on the day it was pouring like a cow pissing on a flat rock and I hit a stretch of a city street at 40MPH when my RPMs went up, but my speed did not then the bike moved from the far right side of the right lane across the center line and the next thing I know I'm traveling in the wrong lane the wrong way almost against the curb, I had Hydroplaned across 4 lanes..... not only was I real wet... I had to go home and change my shorts.

I also saw a guy on a sportster doing 65 mph hit water and do a 360, never go down and stayed in his lane. He pulled over as I did too to see if it was a stunt or what happened. He was white as a sheet and did not want to ride for about 1/2 hr until the water had subsided on the road.
Trust me on this one, a MC tire will HYDROPLANE & it ain't fun!
Oh and one other thing, hit a big puddle and it can knock your feet off the pegs, just like a 2x4 hitting you at the ankles :301:

bob109
07-23-2015, 08:27 PM
If the water is deep enough your going to hydroplane. They don't make a tire that won't

If the water is deep enough one should be in a canoe and not on a motorcycle:stirthepot:

BIGLRY
07-23-2015, 08:37 PM
If the water is deep enough one should be in a canoe and not on a motorcycle:stirthepot:got ya covered.
http://digital.quaysidepub.com/motorbooks/blog_images/canoe-155.jpg

OR....
http://www.castlecraft.com/images/Trailex-SUT-200-Motorcycle-Canoe.JPG

bob109
07-23-2015, 08:45 PM
got ya covered.
http://digital.quaysidepub.com/motorbooks/blog_images/canoe-155.jpg

OR....
http://www.castlecraft.com/images/Trailex-SUT-200-Motorcycle-Canoe.JPG

That's "Priceless":clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

BuzzzPhotos
07-23-2015, 09:05 PM
I was thanking God for the Michelin Alpin some of you guys recommended when I drove over a mountain on highway 170 in Tennessee during a strong downpour a few weeks ago. Couldn't stop but I didn't slip once. Real confident with this CT & the stopping grip is really good.

shooter
07-23-2015, 09:08 PM
I've just got one more thing to add to the subject. You guys watch Moto GP?. I never miss it. Several times a year they ride in the rain. Riders are losing the front in the corners like crazy. They are hydroplaning. On the best rain tires known to man. These guys don't use second best. We can't even buy what they use. The very definition of hydroplaning is when the surface of your tire is no longer touching the surface of the road. Instead your tire is running on a film of water. And down you go. I don't care if you are running on a 280 , a 180 , or a CT.

shooter
07-23-2015, 09:13 PM
I was thanking God for the Michelin Alpin some of you guys recommended when I drove over a mountain on highway 170 in Tennessee during a strong downpour a few weeks ago. Couldn't stop but I didn't slip once. Real confident with this CT & the stopping grip is really good.

That Michelin is good stuff isn't it. I say that it inspire confidence. I have another tire I would like to sing its praises. I have ridden in two hard rains lately. My Metzeler 888 grips the road better than any front tire I have ever used save for my 880 on my 109. Its a solid performer.

Steve 0080
07-24-2015, 12:13 AM
Nothing wrong with Metzler ...best rain tire(front) I have ever owned...just don't last very long!

shooter
07-24-2015, 07:01 AM
888 is supposed to remedy that Steve. I'll let you know in about 15,000 miles.

bob109
07-24-2015, 08:24 AM
Just shy of 20K miles on my Bridgestone Battlax BT45. The center of the tire hardly shows any signs of wear but both sides, off center, are scalloped/cupped. Amazingly there is no vibration and the tire is as nimble as ever in the turns. The Ax is a duel compound "REAR" cycle tire and has been extensively used by GL1800 Trikes with great success. As there is little "leaning of the tire" on a trike folks report getting 30K miles + wear. I suspect, in my case, to get approximately 25K miles wear as I regularly hit the many twisty roads here in NE Pa. Like my OEM Stone, the Ax will be severed/cross sectioned when it's retired and plenty of photos taken to document what remains of the tire thread thickness:icon_wink:

Hornblower
07-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Just shy of 20K miles on my Bridgestone Battlax BT45. The center of the tire hardly shows any signs of wear but both sides, off center, are scalloped/cupped.

Could higher air pressure be the cure? On the stock tire, most recommend 40 psi to prevent that so maybe there is an optimum air pressure for the AX as well :shrug:.

bob109
07-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Could higher air pressure be the cure? On the stock tire, most recommend 40 psi to prevent that so maybe there is an optimum air pressure for the AX as well :shrug:.

Since the Ax has been installed I've run 40/41 PSI! Here's a pic of the tire! If you look closely you can see a fine line defining the hard and soft rubber!

Pap
07-24-2015, 09:20 AM
Bob, do you have a fork brace on?

bob109
07-24-2015, 09:40 AM
Bob, do you have a fork brace on?

No "fork brace"! The front forks/springs are OEM!

Pap
07-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Ok, thanks.
Was just wondering.
There's been a lot of talk about fork braces lately.
Just thought I'd ask.
Didn't know if it makes any difference to the cupping or not.
Keep up the great info.
I will hopefully have the Axe on for the meet.

Fla_rider
07-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Everyone is correct, don't know who feed you that BS Vol1 but I have personally hydroplaned at least a half dozen times on my different bikes. Side note I never fell, never drive faster than your Angel!

Retired Army
07-24-2015, 10:42 AM

Why not go to the dark side on three wheels?

GNW
07-24-2015, 02:19 PM

Hydroplane with a MC tire?? Oh yes. Twice I have !! Second time on a brand new 98 Wing (with me on it) went down in Abilene TX right after a rain. Hurt my pride inside !!
Now, I slow down in the rain. Learned it the hard way.

redinoliver
07-25-2015, 12:18 AM
I had a new 1971 Kawasaki 500 triple .driving in heavy rain with 2 up at 85 mph I could turn the handlebars from stopper to stopper ,and the front end stayed straight.

Vondawg
07-25-2015, 07:57 AM
:jerkit:

dickiedeals
07-25-2015, 08:14 AM
:jerkit:

:jerkit:..........YEP......Dickie

bob109
07-25-2015, 09:03 AM
:jerkit:..........YEP......Dickie

Highjacked Thread:shhh: We are now into "Self Gratification":shock:

3Chief
02-06-2016, 05:09 AM
888 is supposed to remedy that Steve. I'll let you know in about 15,000 miles.

And the verdict is? I am not a fan of the OEM brand on my B and always loved my 880's. Went thru several sets on my VTX, had just gotten an 888 front went I semi-retired the VTX. I'm looking at the 888 before I try running on the Darkside...

Random one
05-10-2016, 05:02 PM
Hydroplane with a MC tire?? Oh yes. Twice I have !! Second time on a brand new 98 Wing (with me on it) went down in Abilene TX right after a rain. Hurt my pride inside !!
Now, I slow down in the rain. Learned it the hard way.
Broken bones take six to twelve weeks to heal. Bruised pride six months to a year.

willtill
05-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Not a motorcycle... but I broke my nose, bent my steering wheel, and trashed a guardrail on the autobahn with my Opel (trashed the front end too) one rainy night in the Fatherland

The Germans made me pay for the damage to the guardrail btw... :icon_rolleyes:

Hydro planing is real. No matter how many wheels are underneath you.

shooter
05-10-2016, 06:26 PM
And the verdict is? I am not a fan of the OEM brand on my B and always loved my 880's. Went thru several sets on my VTX, had just gotten an 888 front went I semi-retired the VTX. I'm looking at the 888 before I try running on the Darkside...

I've had good use out of my 888. If course like everybody I've been in the rain with it several times. To me the 888 is as good as the 880 was. Guys we all know the dangers of riding in the rain. Some of it is common sense. I've seen guys riding in the grooves on the hwy when it was raining. That's where the water is the deepest. Foolish. I don't care what tire you have you can hydroplane. You just have to slow down.

blackmetoc
05-10-2016, 07:20 PM
That's "Priceless":clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

A canoe mo cycle

Felloverboard
05-10-2016, 07:26 PM
True all tires will hydroplane.... But some are tested and better than others. One of the main reasons I chose Bridgestone Driveguard had to do with traction in water since I live in FL. Rain is everyday here in June-Sept. Have been in many storms with no issues so far. Common sense is the best way not to go down tho.....