PDA

View Full Version : Question about coolers on your bike

stepbill
07-24-2015, 07:40 AM
I was reading Okiedoc's thread about his yeti cooler and this got me to thinking. If I have a cooler either mounted to a trailer or to a hitch rack that is attached to my bike and I have beer in it and am riding to a meet and greet, is this considered an open container? I believe, could be wrong, that if you have loose cans of beer in your car that this is considered an open container. What do some of our brighter minds think?

stevenolts
07-24-2015, 07:59 AM
I always thought that the can had to be open to be an open container. If you are not over the legal limit and the cans are unopened I think you will be OK.

But I may be wrong in some states. There are even dry counties in these great United States. How screwed up is that??? No one should be able to tell another citizen that they can not do what they want within the laws of the constitution.

Steve 0080
07-24-2015, 08:29 AM
OK...there is transporting and there is consumption.... to have an open container is consumption.... not much grey area on a bike, compared to a car/truck.

CarolinaRider
07-24-2015, 09:13 AM
Beer in a cooler, you are good to go. just dont have it open in your cup holder:shock:

Open container in NC is what is says. Open with something in it or not or lets says a bottle of Jack that the seal is broken and half gone and the odor or alcohol being present in the vehicle or on your person.

Ride safe

Pap
07-24-2015, 09:25 AM
How about water bottles?
I have 2 holders on my bike, one for me and one for the wife.
Will this be an issue if I have a half full bottle of water in my holder?

stroguy
07-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Afraid to run spirits across borders? I know a couple boys that will help you.

http://youtu.be/w0m0hTrtlWM

Can't go wrong with a lil bit of Johnny Cash.

stepbill
07-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Afraid to run spirits across borders? I know a couple boys that will help you.

http://youtu.be/w0m0hTrtlWM

Can't go wrong with a lil bit of Johnny Cash.

Just don't show the roof now-a-days. :nono:

Vol1chuck
07-24-2015, 12:01 PM
How about water bottles?
I have 2 holders on my bike, one for me and one for the wife.
Will this be an issue if I have a half full bottle of water in my holder?

Water isn't intoxicating.

stroguy
07-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Just don't show the roof now-a-days. :nono:

I searched for a video that showed more of the roof.

hgslayr
07-24-2015, 03:44 PM
Everyone who transported alcohol home from the store would be in violation if that were the case..Seeing it could give the officer probable cause to check you for objective signs of intoxication but absent that no crime is committed...

Deer Slayer
07-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Take all da stuff out of one saddle bag. Now put in a bag of ice and stuff of your choice. Now you must ride in the back of a ride group, thus you don't splatter anyone. :beer3:

Jimmytee
07-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Back when I was stationed at Ft. Riley, we were told that the local PD considered a can removed from the plastic ring thingy on a six pack was considered an open container.:icon_rolleyes:

stepbill
07-26-2015, 08:48 PM
Back when I was stationed at Ft. Riley, we were told that the local PD considered a can removed from the plastic ring thingy on a six pack was considered an open container.:icon_rolleyes:

That's what I always heard and that's why I was asking. I guess I should just leave the six packs together and there shouldn't be a problem.

BuzzzPhotos
07-26-2015, 11:17 PM
I used this Cooler on my recent trip. Kept water, gator aid, beer & wine in it along with 2 of those blue freezer thangs that I refrozen every night. Fits perfectly in left bag.
http://wingstuff.com/products/33637-king-kooler-saddlebag-liner?context=racks_travel_luggage-f6b

flat6bagger
07-27-2015, 05:52 AM
Here is what the law reads for Illinois on this subject.

"It is illegal to transport any alcoholic beverage in the passenger area of a motor vehicle unless the liquid is in its original container and the seal is unbroken."

In Illinois at least by this wording you would be good as long as you are not carrying the beer in a cooler on top of the passenger seat.
Then it technically is "in the passenger area."

Doug

shooter
07-27-2015, 07:03 AM
I don't know if its true or not , but , I heard Stro has a cooler with a Rebel Flag on it that he's gonna try to transport that Bison meat in in the back of his B where rumor also has it , Caitlyn will be riding. Doug , are any laws being broken there??

flat6bagger
07-27-2015, 07:19 AM
"Doug , are any laws being broken there??"

Well,Duh..
It is Illinois.(I mean the state of Chicago.They just haven't changed the name yet.Too costly to update all the maps):icon_lol:
There is a law against just about everything here.

Doug