PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar vibration and angle

xltsport
07-26-2015, 03:16 PM
Am having trouble with wrist pain that I believe is caused by this. I would like to put heli bars on but that is not economicly possible right now. Any ideas to help alleviate this would be great.

Hornblower
07-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Am having trouble with wrist pain that I believe is caused by this. I would like to put heli bars on but that is not economicly possible right now. Any ideas to help alleviate this would be great.

Hope you don't mind...I deleted your duplicate thread :biggthumpup:.

Now, to respond to your question, HeliBars are your best bet but, as you mentioned, that comes with a pretty high price tag. The less expensive route is risers like MBL (2 models), Kuryakyn, and Rocky's. You may want to spend some time comparing these but there is no guarantee than any of them will alleviate your wrist pain. Things like this are trial-and-error. And BTW, the only solution, of all these choices, to reduce vibration would be HeliBars. For that specific issue, you may want to try foam grip covers.

flat6bagger
07-26-2015, 04:35 PM
The grip puppies made a noticeable difference to me.
It was enough of an improvement that I am doing 400-500 mile days with no significant wrist pain.

Doug

cosborn
07-26-2015, 04:54 PM
I added an accessory mount bar which apart from giving me a place to mount my GPS and stuff, also made the handle bars more rigid. I initially had the same vibration problem and fitting the bar has virtually eliminated that.

Chris :039::039:

http://wingstuff.com/products/20071-combo-accessory-mount-bar-for-gl1800?from_search=1

Willl
07-26-2015, 06:14 PM
The ShinGrips made all the differents in the world for my hand pain (I never had any wrist pain)

http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/product.sc?productId=1067&categoryId=103

Less than $10 and 2 mins. to install :icon_cool:
(use compressed air with an air nozzle for install)

flat6bagger
07-26-2015, 06:26 PM
I like the accessory mount bar,but refuse to be gouged at that rediculous price for what it is.
I like wing stuff products,but that price is unacceptable to me.

Doug

DaWadd
07-27-2015, 07:48 AM
I found on long rides that the handlebar angle was not to my liking so I installed a set of Rockys comfort risers and played with the angle till I found my sweet spot. Also as mentioned the Grip Puppies add an extra degree of comfort for vibrations."coffee"

Fla_rider
07-27-2015, 08:57 AM
I was thinking out of the box. Grip puppies made a difference for me. If you can't raise the bars now, then what about lowering the seat?

ths61
07-27-2015, 11:44 AM
My 2 cents:

Fork brace reduced a bit of the vibrations for me.
Grip Puppies, Grab-On or other similar products.
Rocky risers straightened the grip angle for me (all the way wide and raised the bars) which was more natural to my wrists (Helibars would be better but 7+X the cost).
Getting rid of a sticky ADV so the fork can absorb the shock versus your wrists.
Lightening up on your grip on the bars.
Traxxion front end.
Glucosamine Chondroitin. :icon_wink:

xltsport
07-27-2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the input. I will have to try some of these. Right now I am wearing a wrist brace it seems to help.

Fla_rider
07-28-2015, 08:42 AM
grip on the handle bars is suppose to be relaxed not firm. Road encumbrances are best negotiated with a relaxed grip so the front wheel can motor through deviations. Additionally, tightened grip will fatigue your wrist muscles much quicker. The less the bend at the wrist the more ergonomic it is. 'riding'

xltsport
07-28-2015, 08:57 AM
I ride alot on secondary roads. Up here in Wi. that means bumpy cracked pavement,gravel spots deer and all that fun stuff. Hard to ride relaxed in that situation.

xltsport
07-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Bike has risers on it now. Was not aware that some risers have more adjustments than others. Mine don't change angle or setback will have to check it out

ths61
07-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Bike has risers on it now. Was not aware that some risers have more adjustments than others. Mine don't change angle or setback will have to check it out

Rocky Risers and HeliBars are the only 2 that are adjustable to my knowledge.

cosborn
07-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Just a thought, I found that my grip position changed for the better when i installed a Mustang seat, dropped me down a touch, I guess the equivalent of adding risers. I also have a fork brace and the combination of these mods have pretty well eliminated the vibration. I'm also considering changing the fork oil to a lighter Vis in winter although i haven't spoken with a tech about it yet.

Chris

Bagger
07-29-2015, 05:26 PM
I've seen a few posts/threads like this here and elsewhere.

I'm really surprised that folks are complaining of "vibration" with the F6B ... which is basically a Goldwing without the trunk. A very smooth motorcycle.

Having ridden Harleys for 30+ years, I can talk to you about vibration. If the motor's running on my 2013 Street Glide, you can not see out of the rear view mirrors. With the Wing, new Valk, F6B ? Not a problemo !

I wonder if there is something else going on here. The bars and grip position are pretty neutral for me, but everyone's constructed differently.

I think Grip Puppies/Grab Ons are required for sure. Then try some adjustable risers to reposition the angle of the bars before opting for Helibar's conversion. Helibars are terrific, but pricey to start with. Much less expensive alternatives are available.

YMMV

leroysch
07-29-2015, 10:27 PM
I've seen a few posts/threads like this here and elsewhere.

I'm really surprised that folks are complaining of "vibration" with the F6B ... which is basically a Goldwing without the trunk. A very smooth motorcycle.

Having ridden Harleys for 30+ years, I can talk to you about vibration. If the motor's running on my 2013 Street Glide, you can not see out of the rear view mirrors. With the Wing, new Valk, F6B ? Not a problemo !

I wonder if there is something else going on here. The bars and grip position are pretty neutral for me, but everyone's constructed differently.

I think Grip Puppies/Grab Ons are required for sure. Then try some adjustable risers to reposition the angle of the bars before opting for Helibar's conversion. Helibars are terrific, but pricey to start with. Much less expensive alternatives are available.

YMMV

The thing I noticed was that on less than perfect roads, the handlebars are more twitchy than the HD's. If this makes sense, it feels like higher frequencies are being transmitted thru the handlebars than what I've grown used to riding Milwaukee's products. I've wondered if the box construction and extent of the F6B's bars are the main contributor to this phenomenon. Tried a fork brace with little to no improvement. It's certainly not a major issue for me, I was just surprised that it wasn't as well behaved as I had assumed a "Gold Wing" would be...and now I'm curious about why. I read in a recent MC mag comparo of touring rigs that the Gold Wings front suspension was described as "harsh", maybe this is what they were referring to.

ths61
07-29-2015, 10:47 PM
The thing I noticed was that on less than perfect roads, the handlebars are more twitchy than the HD's. If this makes sense, it feels like higher frequencies are being transmitted thru the handlebars than what I've grown used to riding Milwaukee's products. I've wondered if the box construction and extent of the F6B's bars are the main contributor to this phenomenon. Tried a fork brace with little to no improvement. It's certainly not a major issue for me, I was just surprised that it wasn't as well behaved as I had assumed a "Gold Wing" would be...and now I'm curious about why. I read in a recent MC mag comparo of touring rigs that the Gold Wings front suspension was described as "harsh", maybe this is what they were referring to.

Many bikes have rubber or polyurethane bushing mounted handlebars, the F6B/Wing does not. A sticky ADV will also add to the harshness.

Honda specs 36psi in the front tire which indicates they are trying to use the lower tire inflation to soften the suspension.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTI2OFgxNjAw/z/p7EAAMXQsoNRgDXI/$T2eC16ZHJGsFFMuT-32DBRgD(HmN8!~~60_57.JPG

Bagger
07-30-2015, 08:06 PM
I still don't understand the "harsh" feel of the F6B. The Wing and the F6B are some of the smoothest bikes I've tossed a leg over in more than 30 years.

I run 36 front psi and 38-40 rear normally. This seems to make the bike feel comfy and still handle the harder cornering.

Maybe ride another's bike ... or a Wing ... and see if it feels same/same as you describe. Harsh is not a term I'd give to the big bikes suspension.

I've only 225 miles on my F6B, but it feels as planted and pleasant as my full on Traxxion Wing.

xltsport
08-22-2015, 01:35 PM
I put a washer in as a shim on the anti-dive and put one of those cheap throttle boss things on the grip also lowered the air pressure to 38 psi in front tire. This seems to help BUT the bike seems to not be as sharp handling as it used to be like following grooves in the road and such. Maybe it is just me cause its different. 😕