PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear, CA

bobbyf6b
07-26-2015, 10:35 PM
How about a SoCal meetup to ride up to Big Bear Lake? I went there for work last week for the first time and what an amazing area of roads and scenery! I was driving my 18 wheeler and it's quite an adventure with a large vehicle up there! I'm going back this week to get the last pieces from a job we had up there. I'd love to go back with the 6 and tear up those curves. I imagine it's really crowded up there though. Anyone here have experience riding in that area?

I drove south on 18 from Lucerne Valley and yes it was really steep and curvy for a truck. As fun as it was, I don't think I'll go back that way. I came out through Redlands on 38 and what a long down hill trip that is, without any runaway truck ramps. Gotta be careful with the brakes up there! I'm going to go up 18 from San Bernardino next time. It looks like a better road and has passing lanes for the cars to get around me. The difference in mileage between 18 and 38 is only two miles from Phoenix.

Anyone interested in a weekend trip? Is Labor Day Weekend a bad time?

ths61
07-26-2015, 11:12 PM
I'd be interested.

I have done Angeles Crest, but not Big Bear on the bike.

maxrider
07-27-2015, 10:56 PM
I would love that ride, not going to be around this coming weekend, enroute to Shasta to purchase my RDL seat.

However the following weekend would be great, and or during the week (retired)all kinds of time :).

Try Hwy 243 from Banning to Idylwild, and go back the same way and through Hemet on 74, lots of turns and scenery.

PM me or, or post up, I'm sure we can get together somehow.

Max

Tommy
07-27-2015, 11:04 PM
I live in San Jacinto, Ca. I would like to meet up for a ride to Big Bear . Keep me posted. Black F6B

motozeke
07-27-2015, 11:10 PM
I haven't ridden Big Bear since my first bike, back in 1989. Would love to go, just depends on schedule. Keep me in the loop.

ths61
07-27-2015, 11:19 PM
Anyone else near Big Bear Lake (or know any F6B owners who are) ?

maxrider
07-27-2015, 11:23 PM
Hello Bobby and others, I know a few other F6B riders in my club who might be interested in this as well, as to answer your question about Labor day, sure there is always going to be more traffic on the road, but the mountain area's are not some much subject to the onslaught of cagers.

Let's keep this going, would be neat to have locals and others do some rides out here, I mentioned in my PM to 61'sh the Hwy 243, from Banning to Idylwild, scenic, turns, turnouts, and food at the top:), and option to make a loop through Hwy 74, or just return the same way.

Look forward to this, my only restrictions for time are Aug 6 and 21-23 Aug, but open otherwise, and Sep 9-13.

So you coming in from Az throw out some dates and we all might come to a consensus.

And there are plenty of local good rides, with turns and scenery.

Max

bobbyf6b
07-28-2015, 01:20 AM
I'm thinking Labor Day Weekend to have more ride time.

September 5,6,7.

SoCalJJ
07-28-2015, 08:03 AM
Pick a Date I'm in

TailGunner
07-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Pick a Date I'm in Labor day weekend sounds good. Are all you guys seasoned riders? I know JJ and Max are, just curious on how the rest of you ride.

ths61
07-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Labor day weekend sounds good. Are all you guys seasoned riders? I know JJ and Max are, just curious on how the rest of you ride.

Depends on your definition of seasoned.

I have my limitations and am cautious in blind corners. I have had too many close calls with obstructions in the oncoming lane when going around blind corners.

TailGunner
07-28-2015, 08:57 PM
Depends on your definition of seasoned.

I have my limitations and am cautious in blind corners. I have had too many close calls with obstructions in the oncoming lane when going around blind corners.

I agree we must be cautious what I mean is if you can ride well enough in a group and don't mind spirited riding where you have visual and no cross traffic. Basically I just want to know the people I ride with can ride and be safe in a group. I'm not going to lead so I will go the speed of the group.

dudeonit
07-28-2015, 09:12 PM
I ride up there all the time. Usually 330 to the 18 to the 38.
Nice ride and nice weather usually.
I am in for a ride anytime.
I have been described as a spirited rider but ride whatever pace to keep everyone safe.

ths61
07-28-2015, 09:19 PM
I agree we must be cautious what I mean is if you can ride well enough in a group and don't mind spirited riding where you have visual and no cross traffic. Basically I just want to know the people I ride with can ride and be safe in a group. I'm not going to lead so I will go the speed of the group.

FWIW, we group ride with the SCRC (faster in front, slower in rear). Our chapter does not switch columns to fill in holes. We wait to be motioned up to fill in the column from behind the hole and then the tail-gunner adjusts accordingly. We ride staggered, not abreast (except at stops) so a rider has a little lateral space in an emergency if they need it. We switch between staggered and single file based on the road conditions. We use CB's and hand signals. I do not have a CB on my B yet.

We have done charity rides with riders that are unfamiliar with group riding and it can become a royal CF with switching columns, weaving and passing on any side. Almost like riding with crotch rockets. :shock:

bobbyf6b
07-28-2015, 11:53 PM
I'm a seasoned rider and go on group rides often. We ride staggered but my current group uses the cross-over technique. No biggie because we have a hand signal for it.

I agree on being careful on those blind corners! I surprised a few riders today coming down highway 18 to the 330 in my big rig. Most of the way is just fine for trucks, but there's a few sections that are tight. There shouldn't be much truck traffic on the weekends but you still gotta watch out for those big RV's and 5th wheels.

Here's a pic of what I brought back today. It's from the city of Big Bear Lake. (old transformers)

Here's a pic of the bridge on eastbound I-10 near Desert Center.

nvmyf6
07-29-2015, 12:58 AM
I'm a seasoned rider and go on group rides often. We ride staggered but my current group uses the cross-over technique. No biggie because we have a hand signal for it.

I agree on being careful on those blind corners! I surprised a few riders today coming down highway 18 to the 330 in my big rig. Most of the way is just fine for trucks, but there's a few sections that are tight. There shouldn't be much truck traffic on the weekends but you still gotta watch out for those big RV's and 5th wheels.

Here's a pic of what I brought back today. It's from the city of Big Bear Lake. (old transformers)

Here's a pic of the bridge on eastbound I-10 near Desert Center.

Nice pictures Bobby,
Those transformers look a little tall. Did you stop by the Ehrenberg POE for an oversize permit? :icon_biggrin:

bobbyf6b
07-29-2015, 02:03 AM
Nice pictures Bobby,
Those transformers look a little tall. Did you stop by the Ehrenberg POE for an oversize permit? :icon_biggrin:

Nope, it was legal. I flew right by with a green light on my PrePass. :icon_mrgreen:

nvmyf6
07-29-2015, 02:24 AM
Nope, it was legal. I flew right by with a green light on my PrePass. :icon_mrgreen:

Ok cool.
It was my day off today, but I always park my bike under the canopy where the State vehicle are parked. Keep an eye out for it, and when you see it, stop by and say hi :039:

A ride to Big Bear is a great idea.

VP8
07-30-2015, 12:05 AM
I'm in as long as I don't have to work.

Tommy
08-03-2015, 03:08 PM
We need a date and time and a place for a starting point. I think I'm in.

Tommy
08-08-2015, 10:25 PM
Do we have a date and time and place to meet? I need to plan it is a busy weekend for me.

bobbyf6b
08-08-2015, 10:32 PM
I know this was my idea but I'm gonna have to back out. Someone please take the lead on it.

ths61
08-15-2015, 10:47 PM
Did Big Bear today with some friends from my riding club. Got up to 104 degrees in the mountains and 108 degrees on the way back. Ended up being a long day out and back.

Meet spot started out at the 210 & 2 and made our way up to Wrightwood, then to Silverwood Lake, then to Lake Arrowhead and then to Big Bear Lake for dinner. There was some construction and a bit of sand, gravel and rocks (some as big as a football which could wreck your day) on the roads so had to keep alert. Saw a group of @ 6 sheriffs on duo-sport bikes working the mountains as well as various 4WD speed traps. Crotch rocket racing traffic was kept to a minimum.

maxrider
08-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Escaped the 115 IE temp went to Big Bear today nice cool 85 and breezy, light traffic on the 38.

Good day for the mountains :).

MotoMike
08-16-2016, 12:38 AM
Ok cool.
It was my day off today, but I always park my bike under the canopy where the State vehicle are parked. Keep an eye out for it, and when you see it, stop by and say hi :039:

A ride to Big Bear is a great idea.
An F6B under the canopy caught my eye as I went by there last week. With MY prepass giving me a green light. HAHA, what a small world. Im reading this post now because the Big Bear caption piqued my interest. Wifey and I took the Dee Luxe on its break in ride up there the week before Memorial Day. The town was nice and quiet!

MotoMike
08-16-2016, 12:45 AM
We came in from the Barstow side, I havent been on Angeles Crest in years, grew up riding sport bikes in So Cal and we all stopped riding it decades ago because of the A-Hole squids freight training on the dead side of the double yellow at 100+ on their wannabe Kenny Roberts racers. And all the cops of course. Sorry, didnt mean to deviate, just made me flashback a wee bit.

HBWinger
09-08-2016, 11:10 PM
How about a SoCal meetup to ride up to Big Bear Lake? I went there for work last week for the first time and what an amazing area of roads and scenery! I was driving my 18 wheeler and it's quite an adventure with a large vehicle up there! I'm going back this week to get the last pieces from a job we had up there. I'd love to go back with the 6 and tear up those curves. I imagine it's really crowded up there though. Anyone here have experience riding in that area?

I drove south on 18 from Lucerne Valley and yes it was really steep and curvy for a truck. As fun as it was, I don't think I'll go back that way. I came out through Redlands on 38 and what a long down hill trip that is, without any runaway truck ramps. Gotta be careful with the brakes up there! I'm going to go up 18 from San Bernardino next time. It looks like a better road and has passing lanes for the cars to get around me. The difference in mileage between 18 and 38 is only two miles from Phoenix.

Anyone interested in a weekend trip? Is Labor Day Weekend a bad time?

You can actually go from Venture Beach through the Santa Monica mountains to the San Gabriel mountains take the Angeles Crest Highway to the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear, down the south side to Ortega Highway to Capistrano Beach without using a major highway.