PDA

View Full Version : Both low beams blew at the same time

Drive Jehu
07-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Just back from a 15 day 7,800 mile ride. I saw the Crown of the Continent, the Glacier, Waterton area, beautiful! I headed to the Oregon Coast (through Portland) next arriving the evening of July 17th and it was cooler and felt great.

The next day I parked in front of a storefront and as I was admiring the view I noticed my low beam head lights were not working. My 2013 F6B no lights and only 29K miles - Dang!

I immediately checked the fuses - all good. Wiring connections were not loose to the headlights. Called Southern Honda Power Sports in Tenn. and talked to Chuck in service. He gave me the low beam fuse location and it looked good but I replaced it anyway. No joy. Called Chuck back and he had talked to some of the service techs by this time. He advised that in cases of quick extreme temperature changes the headlights can blow. I pulled them both and sure enough - both were blown. A quick trip to a nearby O'Reilly's and I was rolling south to Cal for the Redwoods and HY1.

The take home for me is unexpected stuff happens. Don't count on an indicator light to tell you when critical components like headlights fail, it's not there, at least not on my 2013. I'm now doing a better job of what I should have been doing all along - a simple walk around - pre-flight inspection.

Happy riding to you.

stroguy
07-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Are you sure you just haven't been driving so fast the light has not caught up with you yet?

I would agree that a change in temps can have a big effect. The airfield lights here in Houston have issues in early winter when it goes to 40-50 at night and then blazes to 90+ during the day.

wjduke
07-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Are you sure you just haven't been driving so fast the light has not caught up with you yet?

I would agree that a change in temps can have a big effect. The airfield lights here in Houston have issues in early winter when it goes to 40-50 at night and then blazes to 90+ during the day.

90+ during the day is....winter? That's it....I have to move there. My sister has begged me to come down. I have to make it happen.

stroguy
07-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Yep, we can get an October day over 90.

You have to leave that Red Sox crud behind.

Willl
07-27-2015, 08:34 PM
Just back from a 15 day 7,800 mile ride. I saw the Crown of the Continent, the Glacier, Waterton area, beautiful! I headed to the Oregon Coast (through Portland) next arriving the evening of July 17th and it was cooler and felt great.

The next day I parked in front of a storefront and as I was admiring the view I noticed my low beam head lights were not working. My 2013 F6B no lights and only 29K miles - Dang!

I immediately checked the fuses - all good. Wiring connections were not loose to the headlights. Called Southern Honda Power Sports in Tenn. and talked to Chuck in service. He gave me the low beam fuse location and it looked good but I replaced it anyway. No joy. Called Chuck back and he had talked to some of the service techs by this time. He advised that in cases of quick extreme temperature changes the headlights can blow. I pulled them both and sure enough - both were blown. A quick trip to a nearby O'Reilly's and I was rolling south to Cal for the Redwoods and HY1.

The take home for me is unexpected stuff happens. Don't count on an indicator light to tell you when critical components like headlights fail, it's not there, at least not on my 2013. I'm now doing a better job of what I should have been doing all along - a simple walk around - pre-flight inspection.

Happy riding to you.

Nice to know, thanks :icon_cool:

I'm sure you had a 20 to 30 degree drop crossing over the coast range in about 20 mins

Sounds like an unbelievable trip, please post some pictures when you have time

firetech
07-27-2015, 09:20 PM
Thanks for sharing the info, good to know.
Glad it was nothing to serious, and you able to finish what sounds like
an awesome trip.
Yes please post some pics when you can.

bob109
07-28-2015, 10:42 AM

Had the identical problem with my 2013 6 at 22K miles. Both bulbs out at the same time! Hit a Pa. pothole which almost jared the handlebar from my hands. I'm sure this did the filaments in:icon_frown:

Here's my original Thread on the subject!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3879-Low-Beam-Headlights-Out

Since that time I've replaced the low beams no less than three times. I now carry a twin pack of H-7 in my saddlebag:icon_wink:

unsub
07-28-2015, 11:33 AM
I'm now doing a better job of what I should have been doing all along - a simple walk around - pre-flight inspection.

Great advice.:yes:

hgslayr
07-29-2015, 10:26 PM
I was going to say a quick jarring of the bike can snap the filaments..Dont think temp would cause this unless it was very quick change...

BIGLRY
07-29-2015, 10:50 PM
I was going to say a quick jarring of the bike can snap the filaments..Dont think temp would cause this unless it was very quick change...
A big 10-4, been there done that at 2 AM on a foggy coastal night and a pot hole that would swallow a semi, wham bam and no light high or low on my VTX.:shock:
Thank goodness I knew the road and got down to a safer speed to ride in the dark.:301:

hgslayr
07-30-2015, 12:41 AM
I hope this doesnt happen to my HIDs..lol

Drive Jehu
07-30-2015, 08:46 PM
I'm not certain. Since temp change was suggested to me and the definite change in temp on the coast was evident at the time, I went with that. I'm also open to the possibility that a sharp jaring could have caused the problem. There were a few bumps along the way for sure.

stroguy
07-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Richard Dreyfus wasn't around was he?

Drive Jehu
07-31-2015, 06:42 PM
A few folks asked for pictures. I left Middle GA 1:30 am July 10. An hour later moving quickly through through downtown Atlanta I see a weaving southbound car closing fast in my northbound lane. A second or two later we pass without incident with one open lane between us.

The pic is around East Galcier July 14 and that's what I came for. Big Sky and Beauty! I stayed and enjoyed the view for an hour or more and I had not even reached the Park entrance yet.

First nights camp was in Nebraska City. We covered 2,000 miles the first 2 days. About 500 miles the 3rd day. The ride was 7,800 miles total and it was a short but very enjoyable 15 days. 43.0 mpg for the trip. Camped every night.

Drive Jehu
07-31-2015, 06:49 PM
The area shown is a great destination and if I'm fortunate enough to make an Alaska trip next year I hope to spend more time roaming the Canadian Rockies. The public Bath in Radium Hot Springs after a lot of saddle time was one of my trip highlights!

Drive Jehu
07-31-2015, 06:57 PM
To continue with the trip data... I rode in 20 States and visited 6 U.S. National Parks. Glacier, Redwood Forest, Death Valley, Zion!, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest. In Canada I rode in Alberta (just up to Calgary and across the Rockies into B.C. then down the west side into Idaho.15485 Waterton International Peace Park is in Canada north of Glacier and is also beautiful.

Willl
07-31-2015, 06:58 PM
Nice Photo's :icon_cool:

Drive Jehu
07-31-2015, 07:07 PM
From Idaho through Portman, and hit HY 101 the Oregon coast. I enjoyed a nice ride south. HY 1 in Cal was as good as I had heard. Lots of twisties. I was passed by 3 very fast super motos with a death wish. Between them and the bicycles it's a real wonder... I kept to my cruising speed and enjoyed the view. 15486 The pic is off HY 1 in Bodega Bay CA. It's Chanslor Ranch. My most expensive night at $55. No regrets. Very clean rest rooms/showers and she let us pick a campsite away from a large group.

hgslayr
07-31-2015, 07:28 PM
Hwy 1 is one if the most beautiful rides ever..

Drive Jehu
07-31-2015, 07:32 PM
Last year for my big ride I had a US Military Parachute Bag with a make shift cup holder and I realized I needed outside pockets. This years bag worked well for me. It's the same Military bag used by the IDF. It's a little large and I had to modify to keep it from rubbing paint (which it still managed to do, it may wax out). When it rains I use my tents ground sheet to help as the bag is not waterproof. The white bag that sits on top holds my tent with room to spare, there is no fuss in the morning getting everything folded right - I just stuff it in and ride. It's a U.S. Submarine issue laundry bag modified to suit the need. A single carabiner quickly secures it with the 2 IDF bag handles cradling it.

The ground sheet is a heavy canvas salvaged from an RV canopy. It also is used as a top cover when I need to sleep on the 6 which I did one night this trip. Simply clamp the ground sheet to the top of the windshield (I carry 3 small spring loaded clamps), put your sleeping bag on the 6 and go to bed. Good luck sleeping.