PDA

View Full Version : Rear End Issue ....

Bagger
07-30-2015, 12:37 PM
So, I have 225 miles on my new F6B in about a day and a half. Dropped the bike off at the dealer to have my Garmin Nav / Valentine 1 hardwired to the bike last Monday.

On the advice of another member here, I texted the dealer to check the rear gear oil level since some have been delivered with less than the 4 oz required. I usually change it out to full synthetic 90 wt every other oil change or so. But, figured they had the bike at the shop and could easily do this.

Good thing I did.

Dealer called and said that just by chance when they removed the rear gear inspection/fill bolt they saw the 5 teeth exposed had aluminum built up on them. None of the rest did, just these. Apparently, there was some kind of burr or other casting defect (??) that these teeth sheered off. I don't know why the other teeth were not affected. But, taking this bike on a 2000 mile trip with ground up aluminum running around the rear bearings doesn't sound like a good thing.

Mother Honda is overnighting a complete new rear end. Shop will install it tomorrow.

I'm a bit concerned .... maybe I shouldn't be ... about taking it on the trip Sunday with only a couple hundred miles on the clock.

What do you guys think / recommend?

bobbyf6b
07-30-2015, 12:58 PM
Ride it like you stole it. It's under warranty. I can't think of another bike I'd feel more confident about taking on a trip.

BIGLRY
07-30-2015, 01:06 PM
So, I have 225 miles on my new F6B in about a day and a half. Dropped the bike off at the dealer to have my Garmin Nav / Valentine 1 hardwired to the bike last Monday.

On the advice of another member here, I texted the dealer to check the rear gear oil level since some have been delivered with less than the 4 oz required. I usually change it out to full synthetic 90 wt every other oil change or so. But, figured they had the bike at the shop and could easily do this.

Good thing I did.

Dealer called and said that just by chance when they removed the rear gear inspection/fill bolt they saw the 5 teeth exposed had aluminum built up on them. None of the rest did, just these. Apparently, there was some kind of burr or other casting defect (??) that these teeth sheered off. I don't know why the other teeth were not affected. But, taking this bike on a 2000 mile trip with ground up aluminum running around the rear bearings doesn't sound like a good thing.

Mother Honda is overnighting a complete new rear end. Shop will install it tomorrow.

I'm a bit concerned .... maybe I shouldn't be ... about taking it on the trip Sunday with only a couple hundred miles on the clock.

What do you guys think / recommend?Ride it and enjoy the trip, remember there is a Honda dealer in just about every city in the US and Honda does have a priority rush system for parts to help get stranded bikes back on the road. I'd bet dollars to donuts you will never have a problem I know I would not worry about it, after all it's a Honda. :301:

Steve 0080
07-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Did the bike give any clues?

Bagger
07-30-2015, 06:16 PM
Did the bike give any clues?

Not really ... I have a Wing and had a New Valkyrie, so I have an idea about how the bike "feels". This one felt a bit "tight". Nothing really wrong, just a bit off. I figured that was due to the F6B being new and "tight".

Apparently ... not so.

I drove to the dealer's shop this afternoon. I wanted to see what they found with the rear gear.

Well ... I looked in the fill hole and saw the orange/red paint from Honda on several of the gear teeth. Then, as I turned the wheel, I saw the white/silver marks of various amounts (aluminum) on about 5-6 teeth. And, the rest were just gray metal as one would expect. There was also small bits of ground up aluminum (I guess) on the sides of the housing.

One thing I saw was strange. The teeth on the gear were of different sizes ???? WTF !?

Those with the orange/red (rust colored) teeth were significantly longer than those with the 'aluminum' bits by at least half, or more. The grey teeth were in between.

I wondered if this were "normal". But, the Wrench I was speaking with said he took a look at my Valkyrie's rear gear as it was next door to my bike. He did not see any of what I just wrote. No different sized teeth, no white/silver marks on any teeth, and orange paint on some.

What do we make of this?

Anyway, a new rear end was over nighted to my dealer and should be installed manana. I plan on riding it a bit on Saturday, then take it on my trip to WV / VA. I think it'll be fine.

Steve 0080
07-30-2015, 06:56 PM
Anyway, a new rear end was over nighted to my dealer and should be installed manana. I plan on riding it a bit on Saturday, then take it on my trip to WV / VA. I think it'll be fine.

That was the point I was trying to make on the thread that started all of this.... for $100 and an hour of someone's time this is a permanent fix...

Bagger
07-30-2015, 07:52 PM

That was the point I was trying to make on the thread that started all of this.... for $100 and an hour of someone's time this is a permanent fix...

I'm not sure what you mean, Steve? What point? That this tire never went flat before?

Dirtstiff's F6B
07-30-2015, 08:32 PM
Sounds like the good customer service we expect from the MO Hon Co. Ride and forget about it.

Steve 0080
07-30-2015, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure what you mean, Steve? What point? That this tire never went flat before?

Sorry... My first question was did you feel anything to made you think something was wrong with the rear diff...my second point is that a few here have gotten upset with Mother Honda for sending out a bike will less than 4 oz of fluid... MY point is that, there are a few/plenty of rear diffs out there than be purchanceed for $100 and an hour of someones time to install...of all the things that could go wrong with a wing this would be my first choice...meaning this is a easy fix, cheap to do and once replaced the problem is gone forever!!!

vmaxed
07-31-2015, 06:36 AM

Good thing I did.

What do you guys think / recommend?

Thats some bad luck :icon_doh: hope it's fixed for your trip.

Ed "coffee"

hiflyer
07-31-2015, 08:19 AM
Sorry... My first question was did you feel anything to made you think something was wrong with the rear diff...my second point is that a few here have gotten upset with Mother Honda for sending out a bike will less than 4 oz of fluid... MY point is that, there are a few/plenty of rear diffs out there than be purchanceed for $100 and an hour of someones time to install...of all the things that could go wrong with a wing this would be my first choice...meaning this is a easy fix, cheap to do and once replaced the problem is gone forever!!!

All one has to do is throw up a post about needing a rear drive, and all of us that have a spare will respond and get it to the "needer" .

Hopefully they don't change the rear drive on the '16s........ if you get my drift. :icon_cool:

vmaxed
07-31-2015, 08:38 AM
Well ... I looked in the fill hole and saw the orange/red paint from Honda on several of the gear teeth. Then, as I turned the wheel, I saw the white/silver marks of various amounts (aluminum) on about 5-6 teeth. And, the rest were just gray metal as one would expect. There was also small bits of ground up aluminum (I guess) on the sides of the housing.

I just looked at mine,and saw the orange on the ring gear.They but dykem on to set the shim spacers up for the right clearance.

I had to add oil :icon_doh:

Steve 0080
07-31-2015, 11:46 AM
All one has to do is throw up a post about needing a rear drive, and all of us that have a spare will respond and get it to the "needer" .

Hopefully they don't change the rear drive on the '16s........ if you get my drift. :icon_cool:

Thanks!!! Its people like you that make this board GREAT !!!!!

Bagger
07-31-2015, 04:41 PM
I was out on the Street Glide for a romp when I got a text at 3:17 PM saying they were putting the last bolt in the rear end of my F6B and were going to take it for a test ride.

Super !!

My LHD did a search yesterday when we found the problemo. There was only ONE new rear end in the county. He ordered it and had it overnighted. It arrived this afternoon and I picked up the bike around 5ish. Rode it home the long way and all seems good.

Steve .... regarding if there was any hint of something 'wrong' I didn't think so initially. But, now with the new rear gear installed, I don't feel the slight "tightness" I did previously. The wrench told me that he had both the old and the new rear ends on the bench and spun them both. There was a 'shisss, shisss' noise of metal on metal with the old, and none with the new.

There may be some available for $100, but Honda charges $1700 for a complete unit. Warranty works great !

I plan to add some bits and pieces tonight and tomorrow and take the F6B on our trip to WV/VA Sunday. I don't have any side tho'ts about it.

vmaxed
07-31-2015, 06:37 PM
Thats great news...have a safe trip :yes:

Ed"coffee"