PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered the Sena SMH10-D10 dual pack bluetooth headphones

Redlinez
07-31-2015, 11:40 AM
My wife hasn't been enjoying not being able to communicate while we ride for some odd reason...... I had seen these for $299 at our local Cycle Gear and told her we'd need to wait a little while since we are recovering from the Clearview shield purchase. I just found them at Revzilla for $213.19 shipped. Per the advice of the rep, I went with the non-universal set because our Scorpions have the pump in front of your mouth. He advised me the fixed microphone boom might be easier to find a spot inside.
I expect this will open a new dimension of riding enjoyment! Hope I passed on a deal for someone.

Travelor
07-31-2015, 04:19 PM
Been using the Sena SMH10's for 3 years, love them. Phone paired via bluetooth, and can play tunes from phone also. Used wired system for 12 years before that, and was initially worried about the sound quality. Sena is better sound, don't have to disconnect if we stop for gas and partner wants to walk around. Also have 2 other sets linked for when my sons go on a ride with us. Just a whole lot more convenient. You will like them!!

F6bisnext
07-31-2015, 05:18 PM
Please let me know how you like them. I am in the market for either a set of bluetooth or a wired set. Not sure which to go with. Would love people's thoughts on pro's and con's.

Big Jay
07-31-2015, 05:27 PM
We like our Sena blue tooth a lot. I don't like wires connected to my helmet.

Ridlikhel
07-31-2015, 05:35 PM
Just purchased the Sena 20. Hoping to get them running this weekend. My wife too likes to ride, but not by herself.

Redlinez
08-01-2015, 08:10 AM
I've read and heard nothing but great reviews on the Sena system. It's also stupid cheap at Rev right now.

Redlinez
08-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Installed them on our helmets, paired with my phone, and tried out the intercom inside the house. Seems to work great.

Pap
08-05-2015, 07:25 PM
I looked at the Sena, but went with the U Clear instead. No boom, no wires connected to the bike, Can communicate with up to 10 other riders up to 4 miles.

Redlinez
08-06-2015, 05:45 AM
No wires to mine, don't mind the boom mike, and $213 for both. Figured I couldn't beat that!

Pap
08-06-2015, 06:55 AM
No wires to mine, don't mind the boom mike, and $213 for both. Figured I couldn't beat that!

Good deal! :yes:

hgslayr
08-06-2015, 09:24 AM
My GF wants to get these but I keep thinking I'll have a back seat driver telling me to slow down and talking about things that I get on the bike to forget about..lol

stevenolts
08-06-2015, 09:46 AM
I have had the older Sena SMH-10 for several years and love it. I did have my first unit fail and I had to buy a replacement base unit for $100.00. (That could have been my fault) I use them everyday rain or shine.

I love the system. I have headphones on all three helmets and use the base unit for all three. The normal full face, the headphones for half helmets with pockets, and the unit that I plug in my ear buds. (all of them are great)

Has anyone had both the Sena SMH-10 and the Sena SMH-20? What are the advantages to the Sena SMH-20?

With the price going down I was thinking about buying a spare SMH-10.

I am also considering buying a Schubert Helmet with their proprietary system. Does anyone have that and can compare to the Sena.
Steve

unsub
08-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Here's a Revzilla video describing the 20's
https://youtu.be/tpZxkFZzonc

ReserveBum
08-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Must have missed a hell of a sale. They are over $300 now

unsub
08-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Yeah, the 10's haven't been lower than 300.00 for some time....:icon_frown:

I wasn't a fan of Bluetooth over the Honda OEM, but the 20's have my interest. The 20's seem to incorporate BT in the design to where BT ought to be. They seem like a huge leap from the 10's if the press is true.

ReserveBum
08-06-2015, 07:03 PM
My concern is the sound quality of the sena's. Dont want to spend that kind of jack and have crappy sound. I am mostly solo, dont use the phone while on the bike, and do like my tunes so I was leaning to a J&M helmet speaker and using the wire to hook to the bikes system but....that seems old tech and limits expansion.

blackmetoc
08-06-2015, 07:07 PM
I have had the Sena 20 for about 4 months now. I like it quite a bit. I have not tried the intercom portion yet as I am typically riding solo. But I can get phone calls, listen to music and that works for me.

unsub
08-06-2015, 07:24 PM
My concern is the sound quality of the sena's. Dont want to spend that kind of jack and have crappy sound. I am mostly solo, dont use the phone while on the bike, and do like my tunes so I was leaning to a J&M helmet speaker and using the wire to hook to the bikes system but....that seems old tech and limits expansion.

Which is what I use now and quite like it. Audio is excellent. What I contend with is the cord getting on and off the bike. Slightly inconvenient gassing up.

unsub
08-06-2015, 07:29 PM
I have had the Sena 20 for about 4 months now. I like it quite a bit. I have not tried the intercom portion yet as I am typically riding solo. But I can get phone calls, listen to music and that works for me.

According to the press the 20's have BT 4.0, expanded group talk capabilities, connectivity to headsets other than Sena's, extended BT range, longer talk time, and an ambient noise mic to pick up face to face conversations with your helmet on. Plus a few other features.

Redlinez
08-07-2015, 05:50 AM
Wow, I did catch them at the right time! Glad I just happened to look the other day.....They come with some other cords that I don't need. We will be completely bluetooth.

VP8
08-07-2015, 12:33 PM
I've had the Sana SMH10 for approx. three years now and love it. I have friends who purchased UClear only to learn they hated it and was about to chuck it during a ride out of frustration. I recommended the Sana, and they love it. I listen to music through them, intercom is clear, you can speak group talk with up to three other people in your intercom group at the same time. It's very convenient being able to talk to your friends to let them know you need gas, restroom stop, or where to go for lunch. And its funny how those who don't have communicators don't have a say... they just follow you.

When I'm answering a call, the other party can't really tell I'm riding 80 mph on the freeway. They just hear a little background noise. It's also great to be able to voice dial someone while you're riding to let them know you're on your way or running late. If your phone is capable... you can also do voice activated texting.

The dual set Sena SMH10 have generally been priced around $230-250 on Amazon. The 20C is the newest model that has more features... able to add up to 10 com systems into your group.

As for the speakers... the Sena speakers are good. They are also thin so they can easily be placed in any helmet with ear/speaker pockets. I however wanted more volume and bass, so I spliced and soldered a pair of high fidelity J&M speakers (from my old CB headset) to the Sana base system. The sound is wayyyy better. However, the speakers are at least two or three times thicker than the Senas, so I had to carve out some foam out from the helmet's speaker pockets. When I spliced the speaker wires, the J&M were no problem... the speaker wires were pretty thick, easy to work with. However, the speaker wires for the Sana were soooo fragile, so you have to be very careful when you strip the wire... because there are only three or four strands inside each of the cords. The strands are as thick as hair, so give yourself plenty of cord length.

naga viper
08-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Has anyone bought and used the Bluetooth adapter for the bike
When I get out of work at 3-4 am I don't want to spook the wildlife
And have them dart in fear.
I was planning on adding a small 10 to my helmet but would have had to tape on, the
Sm 20 may be the ticket for nolan helmet.

Ridlikhel
08-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Used my new Sena 20 intercom with my wife last week, for the first time. Really loved it. We were blown away by the clarity of them. She went to the back of the house while I went out front for a test and it was perfect.

Navvet
08-07-2015, 06:50 PM
I was planning on adding a small 10 to my helmet but would have had to tape on, the
Sm 20 may be the ticket for nolan helmet.

I use the 10 with my nolan helmet, minor cut to the edge trim allows it to fit.

Wife and I love them.

:lolup::lolup::lolup:

I also modded a phone headset with an extra base for when she is in the truck and I'm 2-wheeling it.

hgslayr
08-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Just ordered a set yesterday...Hope my GF foesnt chew my ear off during my moments of solitude while riding...lol

ddoug
08-09-2015, 09:53 AM
I know lots of good reports about the Sena , but our set is very disappointing. Too much wind noise.

I've put extra foam over the mics ; flipped the mics 180 degrees , nothing works for us. I can't recommend them.

Redlinez
08-09-2015, 05:20 PM
We ride with fullface Scorpion EXO500's and they worked great this weekend. Gotta figure out if I can have my GPS directions bluetoothed while being able to use intercom with her. Couldn't figure out how to do that, so she rode in silence for part of our ride back.

Doug44
08-10-2015, 06:12 PM
We ride with fullface Scorpion EXO500's and they worked great this weekend. Gotta figure out if I can have my GPS directions bluetoothed while being able to use intercom with her. Couldn't figure out how to do that, so she rode in silence for part of our ride back.

I do it all the time.

Duneaholic
08-10-2015, 06:32 PM
I have Bell Mag 9 helmets that are specifically designed for the smh 10. So far my review is mixed. The sound quality at speed between the wife and I is not that good. The Bell helmet has a lot of wind noise (stock F6B windshield) so we use ear plugs. at low speeds the intercom works great but 60ish its poor. I want to eliminate the speakers and go with custom fitted ear plugs with buds built in unless someone out there has any suggestions.

Redlinez
08-10-2015, 06:34 PM
My Clearview windshield probably helped out quite a bit.
I'll have to read through the instructions and figure out how to combine the GPS directions from my phone while allowing intercom use. I did find you push in once on the dial button and it goes to intercom, push it again, goes back to bluetooth phone connection