PDA

View Full Version : Madstad question

lloydmoore1
08-01-2015, 07:08 AM
I'm about to pull the trigger to order this
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2518/.f

Roboknob System Complete - Honda Goldwing F6B with 13" Light Gray Shield

but have a couple questions that maybe someone who has this setup can answer??

Do I need my stock windshield or does this replace it?
I have a 17inch honda tall now and can see through it by about 3 inches. I can look over it with a stretch but not the ideal setup in the rain. I'm thinking the 13" will be ok even though I'm 6' 1" ??

thanks

Hornblower
08-01-2015, 07:46 AM
I'm about to pull the trigger to order this
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2518/.f

Roboknob System Complete - Honda Goldwing F6B with 13" Light Gray Shield

but have a couple questions that maybe someone who has this setup can answer??

Do I need my stock windshield or does this replace it?
I have a 17inch honda tall now and can see through it by about 3 inches. I can look over it with a stretch but not the ideal setup in the rain. I'm thinking the 13" will be ok even though I'm 6' 1" ??

thanks

The Madstad setup completely replaces the stock windscreen. As far as the best size for you, that depends on many factors but the Madstad website does recommend the 13" for riders 6'0"-6'1".

lloydmoore1
08-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Thanks

lloydmoore1
08-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Done just ordered the 13" light tint.
Now the waiting begins!!!!

Steve 0080
08-01-2015, 10:28 AM
You will be fine! If I were 6'1 I might have gone up a size just to have the extra in a rain storm....

ths61
08-01-2015, 11:27 AM
I am 6' 0" with a long torso/short inseam and finally went with a 15". The 15" all the way down works better than a 13" all the way up and is still lower than the 13" all the way up.

I also went with the rounded bottom and no branding to keep the front of the bike clean.

sandragggen
08-01-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm 5'11 and the 13" is perfect for me. All the way down puts the top of shield mouth level causing wind to go over my helmet 3-4" and I have a good view of the road. Shield all the way up allows me to see through the top of shield if I crouch a bit....I don't like having the line of top of shield in my view to the road...you being taller may not be a issue. I leave mine all the way down all the time and passenger has good wind protection as well. I think the 13" would be a good choice for you if you have stock seat and don't want to look through shield. If you want to be able to look through shield with no top of shield lines...go with the 15".

SoCal Rich
08-01-2015, 05:20 PM
I'm 6'1" and the 13" screen is perfect. I don't even need to adjust it to its highest setting, only have it about half way.

lloydmoore1
08-02-2015, 06:52 AM
Thanks for all the great info. Sounds like I made the right choice. I hope it will offer good protection for the wife as well.
My honda tall screen works well but
I have to look through it..not good especially when it rains.
The back draft causes bugs to flop around and end up in wierd spots when I hit them. Ie my dash,my lap, crazy vortex thing.

BIGLRY
08-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Thanks for all the great info. Sounds like I made the right choice. I hope it will offer good protection for the wife as well.
My honda tall screen works well but
I have to look through it..not good especially when it rains.
The back draft causes bugs to flop around and end up in wierd spots when I hit them. Ie my dash,my lap, crazy vortex thing.
;tornado;:yes:

mike2000t
08-02-2015, 08:45 PM
6'-2" but I slouch. The 15 was a bit too tall for me to comfortably look over. The 13" works for me. I really like the system and they are a great company to work with.

I highly recommend this product. Absolutely works as advertised.

lloydmoore1
08-03-2015, 06:07 AM
I am 6' 0" with a long torso/short inseam and finally went with a 15". The 15" all the way down works better than a 13" all the way up and is still lower than the 13" all the way up.

I also went with the rounded bottom and no branding to keep the front of the bike clean.

So I'm not sure about the rounded bottom and branding? What is it? When I ordered off the site that option was not available? Whats the difference with the rounded bottom?
also what is the branding? Any pics of this?
Lloyd

mike2000t
08-03-2015, 06:23 AM
I think they cut their own product out of sheet stock in house, so if you want something special, they are able to accommodate you.

The bottom has an upward curve cut in it so that when you tilt the shield forward, it follows the contour of the fairing. I assume the rounding takes that away.

The branding is just melted into the bottom of the shield. If I knew that was an option I would have chosen it too. It's just their logo and if you've DE badged your bike, I can see why you would not want their logo on it.

lloydmoore1
08-03-2015, 09:37 AM
I think they cut their own product out of sheet stock in house, so if you want something special, they are able to accommodate you.

The bottom has an upward curve cut in it so that when you tilt the shield forward, it follows the contour of the fairing. I assume the rounding takes that away.

The branding is just melted into the bottom of the shield. If I knew that was an option I would have chosen it too. It's just their logo and if you've DE badged your bike, I can see why you would not want their logo on it.

Thanks got it,makes sense now. I just did a search and realized they have really come a long way from the first one bought back in 2013. Good to see a company apply lessons learned and improve their product.

SmallPasture
08-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Best aftermarket purchase I've made for the Bad Bee to date! :yes::yes::yes:

ths61
08-03-2015, 01:37 PM
So I'm not sure about the rounded bottom and branding? What is it? When I ordered off the site that option was not available? Whats the difference with the rounded bottom?
also what is the branding? Any pics of this?
Lloyd

Their original design had a 3-piece bracket with more adjustment options than their current 2 piece bracket. The original shield also had a convex bottom versus the concave bottom. I liked the looks of the convex bottom which (to me) matches the convex fairing lines (and assumed it would channel the air better) so ordered the convex version (as others have).

Since they originally shipped a defective top shield (wrong holes), they had to replace it. I did not know it had branding (2.25 inches wide) when I ordered it, but saw it when the defective shield arrived. When ordering the replacement, I requested no branding. Any other shield I have purchased over the years had removable branding, or inconspicuous branding.

Neither of these options are on their website.

Pictured: (convex versus concave).

marmilia
08-03-2015, 09:35 PM
Done just ordered the 13" light tint.
Now the waiting begins!!!!

I think you will be fine, I am 6' with a longer than average torso for my height and have the 13" light tint and love it. I usually run with it all the way down and tilted back as far as it will go and feel the wind hitting about the top 2" or so of my head with a lot less buffeting than the 11"lower section of the Baggershield I had. When the wife is with me or I get caught in rain I adjust it up and tilt it forward some and get excellent results.

carpdm
09-06-2015, 11:18 PM
Hello All,

I currently have the Honda Tall windshield. I like the height but given the feedback of members regarding the Madstad, I may give it a try. I would like to know the height at which you have your Madstad shield and also tell me if you have the 11, 13 or 15 inch shield. Please measure from the Top of the Honda logo, just in front of the key to the top of the shield.
Thank you,
Tom

ReserveBum
09-07-2015, 10:03 AM
I have the 11". in smoke with the concave design. For me it works. I'm 5' 10". Creates a cacoon, I use a full face but have the shield open 95% of the time enjoying the mild breeze. The branding is not obtrusive in my view. I would definitely buy again.

From center of the concave to top shield: 10 13/16"

Shield fully down, no tilt measured from top Honda emblem: 15 7/16"
Same as above but full tilt: 14 1/2"

Shield fully up, no tilt: 17 3/16"
Shield fully up, full tilt: 15 1/2"

Good Luck

carpdm
09-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Thanks ReserveBum, this helps. At what height/tilt do you normally ride?

ReserveBum
09-08-2015, 06:35 AM
Almost all the way up and tilted almost where its the same angle as the base. I also use the Baker Wings. Its calm and quiet