PDA

View Full Version : I see a lot of Donors!

seadog
08-01-2015, 10:59 AM
I see a lot of organ donors up here in Michigan since they cancelled the helmet law!
I know it your own personal preference now but with the statistics saying 70% of people that dies in motorcycle accidents would have lived had they been wearing a helmet. Why take the risk? I would never get on a bike without a helmet, at least give yourself a chance at life, I understand kids riding with tank tops, short shorts, and flip flops, their 10 foot tall and bullitt proof but us old guys definitely know the risks. I'll leave this earth one of these days but I don't want to make it any shorter than necessary!:yes:

FF-Ed
08-01-2015, 11:22 AM
That's cute, "Organ donors". That's what the ER guys call ALL riders (including YOU!).

As a career Fireman 20+ years, I've seen plenty of fatal motorcycle crashes. Tragic, Horrrific, Gorey, Sad, & even confusing.

If your wanting to live "Safe" drive a Volvo. I know the risks, I rode yesterday with my full face helmet, today with out my helmet.

Quit being my MOM, and quit pretending your safe because you wear a bean bucket. You like myself, are one (unfortunate/unexpected) accident away from a box.

DMAGOLDRDR
08-01-2015, 01:37 PM
With the information available to us in this day and age we are able to find statistics to back up any way of thinking, even loud pipes save lives... or not wearing a helmet is safer, so statistics mean very little to me.
That being said, I wear a Helmet 97% of the time and live in a State that does not require me to. So I believe in the safety that a Helmet brings to my ride, but I'm willing to bet if I hit something solid at any decent speed, internal organ damage will more than likely be what kills me and my Helmet won't save me from that.

Just my thoughts.........

I spent most my money on Women and Motorcycles, the rest I just wasted.

SoCal Rich
08-01-2015, 01:41 PM
They also call our bikes Donorcycles!

wjduke
08-01-2015, 02:38 PM
When your state gives you the choice, it's all yours. Mine doesn't. I survived hitting the pavement with a helmet on in a no-helmet state. I'll never ever ride without full gear and I know all the risks of riding and the imminent danger. I love it still the same, but I choose to increase my odds even that little bit. We're mostly all adults and make our own decisions. Ride on boys and girls.

shooter
08-01-2015, 02:50 PM
I may be wrong but I think it should be up to the rider. Personally I am atgatt. But that's just me. Sometime my wife don't want to wear a coat so she can work on her tan. I don't argue. It's her life. The states that get me are the ones that require seat belts but dont require helmets. After you are 18 it should be your choice. By the way I always wear my seat belt. Big brother has too many regulations. Let people make their own decisions.

shooter
08-01-2015, 02:53 PM
That's cute, "Organ donors". That's what the ER guys call ALL riders (including YOU!).

As a career Fireman 20+ years, I've seen plenty of fatal motorcycle crashes. Tragic, Horrrific, Gorey, Sad, & even confusing.

If your wanting to live "Safe" drive a Volvo. I know the risks, I rode yesterday with my full face helmet, today with out my helmet.

Quit being my MOM, and quit pretending your safe because you wear a bean bucket. You like myself, are one (unfortunate/unexpected) accident away from a box.

+1^^^^^^

bob109
08-01-2015, 04:23 PM

You are absolutely right! That said, please ensure you have a "Advanced Directive" in place for those who you love and love you! Unlike "road rash" or "broken bones" when the "green contents" of what was once your brain is slowly oozing/draining from your ear canals and nasal cavities and you're unaware of any induced stimuli (pin pricks) the medical folks will keep you off "Life Support" and will lessen the financial burden on your family and society in general. To make sure you do the job right have some bald tires on your bike and a few snorts of Southern Comfort before you mount up. This way, when you finally slide up to the Pearly Gates you can boast of having one hell of a last ride:clap2: Written by a once Certified EMT with too many DOA's

Greg O
08-01-2015, 04:32 PM
I would rather be dead than paralyzed from the neck down then be a burden to my family. I don't usually wear a helmet, but I am thinking about starting, to many people texting and driving even though it's against the law here in Illinois.

dickiedeals
08-01-2015, 04:40 PM
I see a lot of organ donors up here in Michigan since they cancelled the helmet law!
I know it your own personal preference now but with the statistics saying 70% of people that dies in motorcycle accidents would have lived had they been wearing a helmet. Why take the risk? I would never get on a bike without a helmet, at least give yourself a chance at life, I understand kids riding with tank tops, short shorts, and flip flops, their 10 foot tall and bullitt proof but us old guys definitely know the risks. I'll leave this earth one of these days but I don't want to make it any shorter than necessary!:yes:

I say you mind your business I'll mind my business. If I desire to not wear a helmet that is my right. I had a very good friend and riding companion who always wore a full coverage helmet and used to give me a hard time for not wearing a helmet....Well he's dead and gone because his helmet broke his neck.. I'm still riding taking my chances which is my right. You say why take the risk? I say mind your own freaking business!............................Dickie

wantone
08-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Here's the picture of my helmet after my last week's crash. A guy in the pickup truck cut me off. Was thrown up in the air doing 70-75 MPH, back of helmet took the major brunt. I honked at the truck but it was too late and he ran away.

seadog
08-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Its alright and yes what you choose for yourself is fine by me. I am a little old school and believe in doing everything possible to maintain this life to the best of my ability.
but it happens in a split second, on the way home today going thru a busy intersection, on the green light, this woman with cell phone in hand stopped a foot from the door of my little GMC Sonoma 4x4. she blew thru her red light talking on the phone. I was glad I was in the truck going by her front end at about 40 miles per hour in the north end of Cadillac's 5 lane main street. So even as aware as I have always been she would have hit me if she had not found her brakes in time, her whole car was well into the intersection as I was in the second lane over from the curb lane

dickiedeals
08-01-2015, 05:42 PM
I did not say I don't wear a Helmet. What I said was its my right to not wear one . No man no matter his beliefs should ever dictate to others as to whether they should or should not wear a Helmet unless the rider is a Minor. Of course one has to obey various States Laws....To me an"Organ Donner" is the yahoo usually a younger rider who rides crotch rockets 150 mph while doing a wheelie. You know the type...or speeds in traffic or school zones etc..... To each his own on the Helmet Issue................Dickie

edgeman55
08-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Dang after reading all this I'm so shaken up that I am going to put on my helmet and strap myself into my Lazy Boy cause after a few cold ones and some shots I might fall down-LOL.Getting back to the subject here I have been hearing from Family,Doctors for 50+ years how the Murdercycles I have been riding are going to kill me.Life is a risk from the day you are born and if you want to wear a helmet or not is that riders choice.I live in Nevada and have to wear one so I do but wish I had the choice not to also.Now stay safe out here and watch out for those nasty cagers.:moon:

stroguy
08-01-2015, 05:52 PM
I may be wrong but I think it should be up to the rider. Personally I am atgatt. But that's just me. Sometime my wife don't want to wear a coat so she can work on her tan. I don't argue. It's her life. The states that get me are the ones that require seat belts but dont require helmets. After you are 18 it should be your choice. By the way I always wear my seat belt. Big brother has too many regulations. Let people make their own decisions.

States with seat belt laws but not helmet laws.......beyond ignant.

Retired Army
08-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Helmet usage part of risk management, the best risk managers keep riding and usually avoid donation rooms.

wjduke
08-01-2015, 07:19 PM

I say you mind your business I'll mind my business. If I desire to not wear a helmet that is my right. I had a very good friend and riding companion who always wore a full coverage helmet and used to give me a hard time for not wearing a helmet....Well he's dead and gone because his helmet broke his neck.. I'm still riding taking my chances which is my right. You say why take the risk? I say mind your own freaking business!............................Dickie

Where in here is he "telling" anyone to wear a helmet? He voicing his opinion. I say he's right, you say he's wrong....nothing wrong with helmet talk. At least it makes people think when they hear true stories....either way.

shooter
08-01-2015, 08:42 PM
I understand both sides of this debate. I'm like Dickie , I don't want anybody telling me what I have to do. After age 18 it should be your own choice. I also understand Duke and why he is so adamant about wearing your gear. If , like Duke , you have had a life altering accident , and your gear saved you , then you want to help others to understand how your gear can make a difference. Guys like Duke are only trying to help. It is good sound advice. Nobody has to listen but just remember they are just trying to help. Both sides have merit.

dickiedeals
08-02-2015, 07:05 AM
I understand both sides of this debate. I'm like Dickie , I don't want anybody telling me what I have to do. After age 18 it should be your own choice. I also understand Duke and why he is so adamant about wearing your gear. If , like Duke , you have had a life altering accident , and your gear saved you , then you want to help others to understand how your gear can make a difference. Guys like Duke are only trying to help. It is good sound advice. Nobody has to listen but just remember they are just trying to help. Both sides have merit.

Wow, you must be a Politician, you are correct everyone has opinions and you know what they say about opinions....There are times gear can save you, and times it can kill you. Having ridden Motorcycles professionally in my youth I understand this. I like to be comfortable riding my bike and I accept the risks. Its my pumpkin and I'll do with it as I see fit. Every day in life you are one day closer to death. Know one lives forever. As the title says ,I must be an Organ Donor , I can live with that, Say what you must, I'll wear what I wear and ya'll (Southern for you all ) can say what you like .. Looking forward to meeting all you guys.......................Dickie

Spanky
08-02-2015, 07:31 AM
I often wonder why folks will offer their "opinion" with such conviction on the internet, and yet won't speak to others in person in the same way. I for example, have long held beliefs about everything. They are all well thought out opinions and are the most correct opinion in the world..... I have the choice to engage, or not.
So in short, I'm right, you're wrong, and that's it. That being said, I don't have to tell you about them! so, live and let live means mind your own. don't care and nothing but MY experience can change my mind.

I just had it out with a door to door religion salesman and i'm a little wound up. Ended with " we got our own brand of crazy, don't need yours"

bob109
08-02-2015, 08:00 AM
I often wonder why folks will offer their "opinion" with such conviction on the internet, and yet won't speak to others in person in the same way. I for example, have long held beliefs about everything. They are all well thought out opinions and are the most correct opinion in the world..... I have the choice to engage, or not.
So in short, I'm right, you're wrong, and that's it. That being said, I don't have to tell you about them! so, live and let live means mind your own. don't care and nothing but MY experience can change my mind.

I just had it out with a door to door religion salesman and i'm a little wound up. Ended with " we got our own brand of crazy, don't need yours"

Those door to door religious salesman are politely told that I've done away with the "operator" and now "dial direct":icon_wink:

jlyon
08-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Hey Guys,

I'd like to offer my perspective...

We each, in our ordinary, every day regular lives, make life and death decisions. When crossing a street, with or without the benefit of a "green" light for pedestrians, we almost always engage our speed-time-distance computer as we look at traffic around us. We calculate, at the speed of thought, the probabilities of making it across safely, and we either correctly act on that information, or we do not...

The same could be said for even the concept of riding a motorcycle, a vehicle that inherently comes without the protection of various amounts of steel / aluminum / carbon fiber / air bags / etc around us to provide protection. It is ALWAYS a calculated risk every time we climb on / in /over our beloved two-wheeled vehicles.

Like someone on here said, we all go out horizontal at the end of the day... the question, it seems to me, is do we enjoy and live the days we do have to the fullest between the opening of our lives and the closing, or not... I personally would like to finish my turn on this big blue marble in one of three ways:

1. In my sleep of a massive coronary / stroke that takes me instantly
2. Have the same said coronary while on the downhill stroke emdedded with a beautiful woman
(Please pardon the obvious joke about coming and going at the same time)
3. Or doing something I so dearly love - like riding my motorcycles for instance...

I lost my 2nd wife in a motorcycle accident in 2008. A young woman of 17 years of age, with a whopping 54 days of having a motor vehicle license, made a incorrect speed-time-distance calculation, and against the red light impulsively acted on that decision... It proved to be the wrong decision. We live in a helmet-required state, and Joanne was wearing hers. Because her injuries were of the internal organ kind, there was only but a scratch on her helmet, and a small bruise on her stomach, but nevertheless, she did not survive. My Beloved Joanne died doing something she absolutely loved on the back of a motorcycle with a man she absolutely loved. She had her own bike, but when I asked her that afternoon if she was riding it, she told me "No, not today... today I want to feel the wind in my face and be able to wrap my arms around you whenever I want to"... Given the obvious that I would trade my life for hers in an an instant if that were possible so that she could walk this Earth again, I find what comfort I can in knowing that she died doing something that she loved with the man she loved...

I almost always ride with a helmet. When I visit neighboring states where one is not required, I still almost always ride with one. On rare occasions, I ride without... It is a calculated choice made by a person who fully knows the risks, rewards and consequences of such actions. I know the risks and potential outcomes all too well... I think about My Beloved Joanne every single day, and most especially when I ride. I ride neither crazily nor impulsively, but with care and respect for the hazards... but ride I do...

In my mind, the decision should be left to me to make, not some lawmaker who thinks he or she has my best interests in mind. If there were any sound logic to the process of making laws to "protect" us and keep us all from harm, then there would not be this absurd situation where laws that says kids have to be seat-belted in cars, yet allows over 30 million children to ride school buses twice a day, with absolutely NO seatbelts (other than for the driver) !!!

So, my rant is over... I fall on the side of let those who ride decide... It is our life; allow us the right to take responsibility for it...

Donncat
08-02-2015, 05:43 PM
I and I'm sure many others are sorry for your loss. And folks there isn't need to convince everyone that you have the right answer to the question. We all enjoy being on two wheels for our own reasons and I think all choose how much risk we are willing to take. I'm one of those who rides without. SFFATT (shorts,flip flops all the time). I'm cool with what you do and my experience with the folks in this crowd is that live and let live. I understand the passion of what others feel and think, but it's my call and I'm good with my call. And if I go tragically I am right with my Lord and savior and THAT my friends is the most important thing. Be well all, ride safe

Steve 0080
08-02-2015, 05:57 PM
States with seat belt laws but not helmet laws.......beyond ignant.

Welcome to FLA..... Yea, I don't get it...I don't have to wear a helmet but I Do have to wear a seatbelt....I can't stand seatbelts!

flat6bagger
08-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Wear one or don't.
Your choice.
Just don't give me sh!t because I choose to wear one.
It goes both ways.
You don't like to be told to wear one,I don't like to be ridiculed because I do.

Doug

RickJ
08-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Theoretically, I fall on the "let the rider decide" on the other hand, I CAN'T decide if MY insurance premiums (health and drivers ins) are based on the higher medical and payout costs of people who live more dangerously than I. In a backass sort of way, I have a vested interest in your safety...and I CAN'T decide my role in THAT.

just sayin'

shooter
08-02-2015, 09:23 PM
That's a good point Rick. And like you , u don't know if my premiums go up to help cover your medical bills. I know I don't want to be charged any more than I already am.

RickW
08-02-2015, 10:03 PM
I actually had a very bad motorcycle accident 13 years ago that was not survivable without a helmet. We do not tell anyone what to wear while riding, but I can tell you first hand what happens when you hit the pavement hard at 55 mph. I can also tell you how it effects your wife when she thinks you were just killed in front of her.
You will not survive a sudden stop at 55 mph, but most are not sudden stops and you actually do have a good chance with some safety gear.
Below is what I wrote on our Valkyrie page 13 years ago just after it happened.

"The pictures below are of my Honda Valkyrie that I had for 3 years and was totaled on July 26th 2002. I purchased another Valkyrie Tourer (all black, shown above) and built it even better then the last one. Below is a short description of what happened in the accident. I hope that at least one person will read this and decides to wear safety equipment.
Teresa and I were riding to Zanesville Ohio from the Honda Homecoming. We were going down a slight hill (on Ohio route 37) and around a slight right curve. There was brush and trees very close to the road. In an instant there was a deer in the road in front of me. I never had time to come off the throttle and hit it pretty much head on. The deer was quite large about 180 lbs or so. The impact is quite sever hitting something that large going 55 mph. The bike went down and I got away from the bike pretty clean. I skidded about 75 feet head first on my back. I flipped a couple of times when I hit dryer pavement. The bike skidded 150 feet and bounced around pretty good a few times before stopping. The deer was dead instantly.
I had an HJC 3/4 Helmet on. There were gouges all the way from the top front to the back bottom left on the helmet. The helmet was ground into the pavement. I also had a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket on. I had virtually no scratches on my arms or back. The padding in the jacket took a lot of the impact. The fingerless leather gloves might not have been a good idea. I had thick jeans on which were ripped in a couple of places. Missing only a little skin on my legs. Boots also only got a little messed up. I was very sore, but not in the hospital or worse. So, is it worth wearing safety equipment? Yes, the outcome would have been way different.
Teresa was only 2 seconds behind me on her Honda 1100 Sabre. I am very lucky that she is an experienced rider. It was difficult to miss everything in the road while trying to stop. I think that she was way more upset then me. Another good reason to take motorcycle safety courses and always make sure that you are capable of handling the bike in extreme conditions. She did ride the Sabre back to Delaware, Ohio when the Valkyrie was being towed. Our Custom Valkyrie had a huge amount of damage and was totaled, but it was replaced. You always think and hope that it won't happen to you. Something to keep in mind once in a while."
http://www.valueaccessories.net/Valkyrie/Valkyrie.htm