PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Right Side Mirror/Signal Assembly Install

kcmike
08-01-2015, 02:47 PM
I posted this in the garage section, but thought it might be more likely seen here.

Looking for advice with secret tips and traps to look out for when installing the entire right mirror/signal assembly--you know, things like how NOT to drop the mounting screws into the fairing, getting a tight fit, etc.

For embarrassing reasons I'd rather not go into, LOL, I managed to tip the beast over in some soft grass. Unfortunately, it was a fairly steep downgrade and the bike rolled over on the right side far enough to bend and break the entire right side assembly off at the mounting bracket. Fortunately, nothing else was damaged but my ego.

Install appears relatively straightforward, and I am a moderately skilled amateur wrench, but I'm sure there might be some tricks or tips on what to watch for? Maybe a diagram if available? Thanks

Willl
08-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Cruiseman's has some free Video's on youtube that will show you some of what you will need to do but not all
http://www.cruisemansgarage.com/

Sorry I could not be of more help but I am still waiting on a shop manual

Hopefully another member will chime in

Good Luck :icon_biggrin:

stroguy
08-01-2015, 05:50 PM
How's your brake pedal?

kcmike
08-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Thanks Will, I'll give that vid a look. Stroguy: Pedal seems fine. It was soft ground so the only damage came from the sickening sound of the mirror breaking off as it rolled into the grass. I've been riding it all day after this happened and all seems well.

I took a look at the left side, under the boot, and it looks pretty straightforward--looks like three mounting bolts. It just looks like a tight fit and a wonderful opportunity to invent some new cuss words while dropping tiny screws into the opening and trying to get the right angle on a screwdriver, etc.

53driver
08-01-2015, 06:59 PM
...and a wonderful opportunity to invent some new cuss words while dropping tiny screws into the opening and trying to get the right angle on a screwdriver, etc.

Here's my favorite: "disinfsckulate."

M61A1MECH
08-01-2015, 07:32 PM
I will be needing that video also, thanks for posting it.

I was in the final steps of installing a pair of Rocky's Comfort Risers on my 2013, convinced myself as I started the job, that is was neccessary to wrestle the big girl up onto the centerstand, so I did the old 2x8 under the kickstand trick that I have used on many bikes thru the years. Well you can see where this is going. I was trying to get the set screw that fixes the adjustig nut in position on the left side and needed a bit more room to get my wrench in there, turned the bars to far to the right and she starts tipping and there was no stopping her, until she hit the wife's Solara convertible that is. With the wife's help we were able to get the fat girl up, the Solara has a dent in the left front fender from the GL'smirror and a crease in the driver's door from the trunk lid.

The GL has scratches on the right mirror housing and slight scratches on the indicator lens, the trunk faired OK especially considering the lid was open and it hit the car.

Got a new housing on order, will need to get the assembly off and strip it down and install the guts into the new housing when it arrives.

I feel really bad about the car, it is a 2006 it did not have a scratch on it, the only thing wrong with it is the dash is all cracked, and we just got word from Toyota that they will replace the entire dash on an extended warrenty campaign they are doing for various models that have been afflicted with cracking and melting dashes, so in a few weeks it was going to be like new again, and now stupid drops his bike on it.

Could have been a lot worse, but I do like the risers.

Steve 0080
08-01-2015, 08:22 PM
I will be needing that video also, thanks for posting it.

I was in the final steps of installing a pair of Rocky's Comfort Risers on my 2013, convinced myself as I started the job, that is was neccessary to wrestle the big girl up onto the centerstand, so I did the old 2x8 under the kickstand trick that I have used on many bikes thru the years. Well you can see where this is going. I was trying to get the set screw that fixes the adjustig nut in position on the left side and needed a bit more room to get my wrench in there, turned the bars to far to the right and she starts tipping and there was no stopping her, until she hit the wife's Solara convertible that is. With the wife's help we were able to get the fat girl up, the Solara has a dent in the left front fender from the GL'smirror and a crease in the driver's door from the trunk lid.

The GL has scratches on the right mirror housing and slight scratches on the indicator lens, the trunk faired OK especially considering the lid was open and it hit the car.

Got a new housing on order, will need to get the assembly off and strip it down and install the guts into the new housing when it arrives.

I feel really bad about the car, it is a 2006 it did not have a scratch on it, the only thing wrong with it is the dash is all cracked, and we just got word from Toyota that they will replace the entire dash on an extended warrenty campaign they are doing for various models that have been afflicted with cracking and melting dashes, so in a few weeks it was going to be like new again, and now stupid drops his bike on it.

Could have been a lot worse, but I do like the risers.

Look for and call a " Dent Doctor" in your area.....amazing !!!!

http://dentranger.com

M61A1MECH
08-02-2015, 06:33 AM

http://dentranger.com

I thought about that, just never used one to know if they are any good or not.
I was able to lessen the dent in the fender by using a suction cup and just pulling it out, but there is still some of it there, the one on the door I could not touch that one.

Their add shows one at the Daytona Flea Market and open on Sundays, maybe I give them a shout.
Thanks for the idea.

BIGLRY
08-02-2015, 04:45 PM

http://dentranger.com+1 for the "Dent Doctor" or "Dent Pro" in my area they can do some amazing stuff, had a customer who dumped his scoot(Rune) and put a good indent in the front fender, "Dent Pro" came to the shop and popped it out without me having to remove the fender(pain in the ass on a Rune). I could have fixed it, but it would have needed paint when I got done. After the "Dent Pro" got done you could not see it unless it was pointed out to you and even then only a small variance in the paint showed. If there is are any creases or cracked paint then all bets are off, but they have the specialy tools to remove dents and do stuff I would not have believe possible until I seen it myself.:icon_biggrin: