PDA

View Full Version : De-Badge question

Apache1
08-04-2015, 05:38 PM
I was curious, what is the easiest and best way to remove the front and rear Honda badges? Also, are there any post removal polishing or blending required? Thanks in advance.......Greg

Greg O
08-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Dental floss

hgslayr
08-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Place a business card under the edge after heating with a hair dryer and peel them off towards the bisiness card...The business card keeps the edge from scratching the paint...They peel off easy but the F6B Logos on the side are pinned and youll have 2 holes if you remove these...Somr wil say saw the glue strip with dental floss but youll have more cleanup to do on the paint ...

hgslayr
08-04-2015, 05:44 PM
If you take it out for a ride on a hot day you won't even need a hair dryer to heat it up and they will peel right off with the glue strip in tact with badge

stroguy
08-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Let it sit in the sun for an hour or so. Get under an edge with a plastic scraper or floss and lift, don't pry. It will slowly release. Be careful of the opposing corner digging into the paint. Some folks like to saw off the tape with the floss. I just use two plastic razors on opposing sides. After it releases you will be left with some tape residue that can be rolled off with your fingers. Keep the bike in the sun while you are removing most of the tape and gunk. Put her in the shade of a tree or your garage and let her cool down. Go to the drug store and buy some of the alcohol preps they use prior to an injection. Use those after the bike is cooled down but be gentle. The double sided tape can trap moisture in the paint and you may just keep rubbing until you have damaged the paint. When the tape residue is gone throw some wax on those areas and leave them alone for a week or so. I use the Honda spirits to clean my Matte finish, but the process is the same. Get the tape off and leave those ghost marks alone for a week or two. More wax is a good thing.

Good luck.

Apache1
08-04-2015, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys, outstanding input from all! Thnx again!

hgslayr
08-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Its really not that complicated...pull them off when hot and dont let the edge dig in the paint hence the business card to pry against...a little bit of goof off to wipe off the small residual...

seadog
08-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Its really not that complicated...pull them off when hot and dont let the edge dig in the paint hence the business card to pry against...a little bit of goo gone to wipe off the small residual...

DO NOT USE GOO GONE IF YOU HAVE A MATTE SILVER BIKE, IT LEAVES A VERY SHINEY SPOT BEHIND THAT WILL STICK OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB

hgslayr
08-04-2015, 06:58 PM
I just edited my previous post because I forgot the name but I was under the impression that they were both of similar ingredients

hgslayr
08-04-2015, 07:24 PM
I would not rub the paint hard with either of these products and only the areas where the adhesive is present

BadDawg
08-04-2015, 08:46 PM
My back one almost fell off but that was cuz my pony tank leaked gas all over it. The front one took some effort. I used dental floss and Goo-gone but most of the adhesive stuck. It took about an hour to remove that with Goo-gone and a micro cloth. When it was done the paint was severely rubbed out. After hearing all the paint stories I was mortified. But I grabbed some turtle wax buffing compound made for light scratches and buffed it out. Then hit it with some regular Turtle wax paste and it looks brand new.

I think doing it on a hot day or hitting it with a hair dryer first would have saved me a lot of work.

Bagger
08-06-2015, 08:29 PM
I've always removed all the logos, stickers, plastic Honda plastic bits from my bikes. But, then ... some folks with Matt Silver have said "Don't do this ... you'll ruin the paint!".

So ... how do I remove the the 40th and Honda plastic logos form my Matt Silver without screwing up the paint?

On my cars, and other bikes ... I just do it on a sunny hot day. Use a hair blower to soften the glue and peel them off with my finger nails. Or, with plastic bits ... use dental floss and Glue Gone, then wax.

I'd be surprised if this method will work with Matt Silver .... ???

stroguy
08-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Look back 7 posts.

hgslayr
08-06-2015, 09:58 PM
Stro...this isnt brain surgery...Wait for a hot day and peel them off..very little residue left..If you use dental floss, youll be buffing longer than you should with goof off/goo gone and youll F... up the paint...I removed mine within 10 mins and residual was gone...EZ PZ

stroguy
08-06-2015, 10:01 PM
I must be missing something.

hgslayr
08-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Im with ya Stro, just making the point that this isnt a big deal...

stroguy
08-06-2015, 11:27 PM
Check

Bagger
08-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Had the F6B out today for a hundred or so miles. Decided to take off the plastic logos.

Pretty EZ as posted above. And, I've done so on several other bikes/cars/trucks, too. Used same/same method that others have used. Was a bit concerned with the matte finish, but no big deal.

Parked bike in the sun (sorta dim here and only 77*). Took a hair drier and heated the rear one 1st, figuring if I screwed up the paint, I cover it with a piece of duct tape. :icon_rolleyes:

Heated the bits up a bit with the hair drier .... peeled a bit back and used a credit card (Cabela's in this case) to help release the double sided tape. Most came off. Used my thumb to remove other bits and finally, some toxic Goof Off (Goo Gone like stuff I have laying around) and an old micro fiber cloth to remove the rest. Did not have to rub hard, just a nickel sized squirt on a clean part of the cloth ... one thickness ... and lightly rub. Repeat moving to a new part of the micro cloth.

Worked great! Finished it off with some spray on wax product and buffed it out. Looks PURRRFECT ! :icon_cool: