PDA

View Full Version : First weekend ride with the wife this weekend to Fancy Gap VA

Redlinez
08-05-2015, 07:24 PM
We head out Friday afternoon from Apex NC to Fancy Gap VA. We've camped and stayed in cabins at the KOA there for years. Super nice campground, awesome owners, and right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. We plan to come in from the highway 58 side as I've heard it's a great motorcycle ride up that mountain. Then the plan is to ride to Boone via the BRP and hang out there for a while before riding back. I'll try to get some worth pictures. Our rain gear comes in tomorrow, just installed new Sena bluetooth headsets and Clearview shield so we should be good to go! I bought the Nelson Rigg SR6000 suits here http://www.revzilla.com/product/nelson-rigg-sr-6000-stormrider-rain-suit
Hopefully my broken tailbone won't be too much of an issue. Trying to get ready for the ride to Franklin in September.

Redlinez
08-09-2015, 05:18 PM
Had a great time riding with the wife. My only issue was my upper back and my right hand. Even with the slip on cheap foam, my gloves wadded up and pinched my palms. Probably time for Kuryakyn grips and better gloves. We went from the Apex NC area out 64W to 421 N. Then took 85 to 68N/220N to get to highway 58W around the Martinsville area. That was a great ride up 58 until we started up the mountain and hit crazy fog. I couldn't see 10-15 feet in front of me, but these were 20-30mph curves anyway. We left Saturday morning and took the parkway south to Sparta. The parkway was in rough shape for a cycle, couldn't wait to get off. We took 221 into West Jefferson, that's one curvy road, quite low speed turns though. We then took 221N to highway 16- great road for cycling I might add. That brought us to 58, which we took into Galax VA and hung out for a bit before heading back to Fancy Gap. Here are a few pics.
The Sena headsets worked great, she was thrilled to be able to communicate. It was also awesome to hear navigation directions as we left and had lunch at Little Richards BBQ in Walkertown NC. Our rain gear was required 5 minutes into our ride up there and we never took it off. Very happy with it too. Everything fit into the sidebags nicely, probably had a tad more room. She wore a backpack just in case.

Steve 0080
08-09-2015, 09:45 PM
Sounds like big fun...always nice to have the wife along !!!

valkmc
08-10-2015, 08:46 PM
Hit some of those same roads a couple of weeks ago on my way back from NY. Really enjoyed 220 & 221. Very pretty part of the country. Sounds like you had a great time!