PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Intro

JetBlackWing
08-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Just wanted to be sure to drop a couple lines here before crashing the party...Live in Central Missouri, I'm on the shorter side, and now a owner of a new 2013 (stretch..and reach...tug...and pull, but got a good deal on a 2 year old bike with full warranty & new battery), Jet Black F6B standard, and coming from a Yamaha Stratoliner 1900 (BTW, a great bike, best Vee Twin that I could find), then a VTX1300 before that (another nice, but smaller bike), and before that, and long pause from bikes for 20 years...taking me back to a Yamaha 550 Vision, Yamaha Maxim 650, a Honda 750 Sabre, and my first bike...a Honda Cx500.

I haven't yet rode my FB6 other than park it (but Plan to this weekend), and have already checked the rear final oil (its low too) I still have the Stratoliner 1900, but plan to let it go as I don't have the time or space to keep two bikes (Its listed on Craigslist Springfield Mo) . Couple things I thinking about is the windshield and audio sound/power, backrest for my sweetheart. I look forward to the entertainment here, and on the road with the Bat Bike.. .batman-smilie.

stroguy
08-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Just wanted to be sure to drop a couple lines here before crashing the party...Live in Central Missouri, I'm on the shorter side, and now a owner of a new 2013 (stretch..and reach...tug...and pull, but got a good deal on a 2 year old bike with full warranty & new battery),then a VTX1300 before that (another nice, but smaller bike), and before that, and long pause from bikes for 20 years...taking me back to a Yamaha 550 Vision, Yamaha Maxim 650, a Honda 750 Sabre, and my first bike...a Honda Cx500.

I haven't yet rode my FB6 other than park it (but Plan to this weekend), and have already checked the rear final oil (its low too) I still have the Stratoliner 1900, but plan to let it go as I don't have the time or space to keep two bikes (Its listed on Craigslist Springfield Mo) . Couple things I thinking
[/url]

OK let's get something straight right here and now....you are in with a very sophisticated crowd. We see you had your lil girly 550, 650, 750 days but you are with the big boys now, the 1800hunded guys, the cool walkers and straight talkers, and we don't drive no damn FB6.

So fix it and let's get to riding.

By the way...big welcome from TEXAS, sorry to hear you reside in the boundaries of shooter.

okiedoc
08-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Welcome from Oklahoma, your gonna love this bike. My first street bike was a V45 Sabre, there was a bike ahead of it's time.

JetBlackWing
08-06-2015, 02:58 PM
OK let's get something straight right here and now....you are in with a very sophisticated crowd. We see you had your lil girly 550, 650, 750 days but you are with the big boys now, the 1800hunded guys, the cool walkers and straight talkers, and we don't drive no damn FB6.

So fix it and let's get to riding.

By the way...big welcome from TEXAS, sorry to hear you reside in the boundaries of shooter.

Open with a Big Bang there Mr Tex, I forgot to mention my horse passion (and had to go back and edit)

Thanks bud:yes:

Fla_rider
08-06-2015, 02:59 PM
'welcome gang' from soggy Tampa, Fl. Tradition calls for you to post a pic! Cuz
:postpics:

JetBlackWing
08-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Welcome from Oklahoma, your gonna love this bike. My first street bike was a V45 Sabre, there was a bike ahead of it's time.

Yes, you're right...It was called the V45 Sabre, It was a super bike back then,

Thanks Okie

JetBlackWing
08-06-2015, 03:21 PM
'welcome gang' from soggy Tampa, Fl. Tradition calls for you to post a pic! Cuz
:postpics:

Ok Soggy, From the not to distant past to the present, The Bat Bike sits awaits additional driveline oil.

stroguy
08-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Yes, you're right...It was called the V45 Sabre, It was a super bike back then,

Thanks Okie

They also had the V65 and it was a stud back in the 80's. My roommate in the Air Force had one and it was rocket. Unfortunately I had front row seats of him plowing into an El Camino without looking. Drunk in the EL stopped right in front of him and his head impacted the A pillar. Luckily he had a full face Shoei or his jaw would have been in his brain.

Welcome again JetBlack, just doggin you a bit.

Steve 0080
08-06-2015, 05:22 PM
'welcome gang' to the board !!!

JetBlackWing
08-06-2015, 05:46 PM
They also had the V65 and it was a stud back in the 80's. My roommate in the Air Force had one and it was rocket. Unfortunately I had front row seats of him plowing into an El Camino without looking. Drunk in the EL stopped right in front of him and his head impacted the A pillar. Luckily he had a full face Shoei or his jaw would have been in his brain.

Welcome again JetBlack, just doggin you a bit.

And I too am an AF veteran, and was still in the Air Force when I had my V45 Sabre, stationed in Shaw AFB at the time. No wrecks to report though, dropped that first bike (Honda CX500) in the sand once though.:kissass:

Hornblower
08-06-2015, 05:49 PM
.welcome20., JetBlackWing, from NC :039:. I had a V65 Sabre back years ago and it was a pretty good bike in it's day. Of course, we've moved on well beyond that now. Enjoy your ride!

willtill
08-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Welcome! :039:

stroguy
08-06-2015, 06:33 PM
And I too am an AF veteran, and was still in the Air Force when I had my V45 Sabre, stationed in Shaw AFB at the time. No wrecks to report though, dropped that first bike (Honda CX500) in the sand once though.:kissass:

I knew you had to be cool. Shaw is a nice base, especially if you are a golfer.

blackmetoc
08-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Great bike, fun to ride. Enjoy!

oldguy2
08-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Glad to have you on the forum; enjoy a great bike and an unusually generous , diverse and sociable group of talented and educated misfits.

Donncat
08-08-2015, 09:25 PM
You will never meet a better bunch of guys than right here. Ride it like you stole it and welcome to what used to be the sunshine state! Not so much lately.:jerkit:

JetBlackWing
08-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Ok, I'm comparing primarily with my current other ride, an low mileage, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner 1900. A new stock 2013 F6B, I'm 5'4, and that stock windshield isn't going to cut it unless I wear a full face shield. I caught large bugs, two different times, into my open face helmet, and one started biting behind my ear before I could get it out..ouch drew blood too!

Both get near the same fuel mileage (got about 44 mpg, mostly hwy) Lifting off the stand..the Stratoliner was easier...surprise! (It's weight is 20 lbs lighter, also thanks to its aluminum frame, and low center gravity). Seat heights about the same, (you feel you are sitting on a bike rather than in the bikes), but the F6B seat being a bit wider prevents any both feet from flat footing it. The narrow grip handle bars of the F6B will take some getting used to, and Slow speed handling, might be near a draw, partly due to the Strat's calmer throttle control, and fantastic transmission, But I'd have to give the higher speed handling, a slight edge to the F6B (this bike seems to speed up on the corners on its own).

Power wise, no winner between the two, (be careful about pulling up to a Stratoliner/Roadliner and pullin the out pink slips, it might be a two cylinder, Veetwin, but It-Will-Drag buddy...) only the different feel, and sound of delivery. One having the power pulse with a glass pack single muffler, and the other having a smooth linear feel (but a bit too sensitive and jumpy with a slight throttle change) with two muted OEM mufflers (the glass pack on the Stratoliner sounds better, but I do like the look of the dual's of the F6B). The FB6 has alittle more overall storage, and stereo over the Stratoliner.

Conclusion.. If I had, dual exhaust on the Stratoliner, I would add a fairing and stereo, and I would keep it instead, but these are high cost add on's and the duals aren't available for this bike, so perhaps I will have to keep the Stratoliner, but only as a happy memory, in the back of my mind. A very well engineered bike, and one that just almost out does the FB6 in many ways, but not quite. However, for a Vee Twin option, I wouldn't consider a different bike other than the Stratoliner/Roadliner, and yes I owned one Harley (panhead) and rode others, l and just painstakingly looked at all the other large Vee twins offerings before choosing the Stratoliner, andI found none I like better overall. At this point, if someone just came up to me and bought one or the other bike from me, it would settle my mind. F6B is a wonderful bike, but I also made such a great choice 7 years ago (and as a guide or side note, my lady also prefers the Stratoliner, and that makes it more difficult). Low mileage Stratoliner reluctantly for sale... in Central Missouri.

Cheers! .batman-smilie.

wiggy
08-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Welcome from Northern Illinois. Just got my F6b a month ago. There is a wealth of knowledge here. It's a very cool site!
I came over from the Valkyrie world. I've had 2 Valk Interstates and totaled two. Thought I better try something different since I'm down to 7 lives left. ;)

dickiedeals
08-12-2015, 05:55 PM
.welcome20.Jetblackwing from sunny Florida :th_sunbathe:.....................Dickie

flat6bagger
08-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the forum.
You "killed" the Floyd song.:shock:

Doug

Greg O
08-12-2015, 08:44 PM
Thank you for your service, and welcome to the forum.

53driver
08-12-2015, 08:48 PM
Welcome to the forums.
Thanks for your service (I'm retired USMC).
I liked your cover.
Floyd is not one of my personal favorites - prefer Boston, Beatles, Aerosmith type stuff.
I do sound for bands and Pink Floyd covers are always difficult.
Did you play all the instruments as well?

Bottom line: keep rockin', keep ridin' and do what you love.
Slainte!