PDA

View Full Version : Smart Mount backrest

flat6bagger
08-06-2015, 06:53 PM
I am interested in the general opinion after so many of you installed the Smart Mount Rider Backrest.
I was wondering if the majority of you owners thought it pushed you forward to much or was it just a select few that had that happen.
I like how it looks like the Honda passenger backrest.
I am not interested one iota about an Utopia.
I could not stand the miss matched looks of that backrest on my seat with a Honda passenger backrest.

Doug

Dirtstiff's F6B
08-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Actually, it allows me to lean back not forward. In all honesty, I was not happy with the F6 ergos at all before installing the backrest. It makes the ride like a bagger, foot forward, leaning back for me. Also stopped the pinched shoulder feeling I had too.
I'm very pleased with the comfort now and I have some other choices for touring comfort as a base line. The F6B being best.
J

flat6bagger
08-07-2015, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the reply dirt.
I have scoliosis in my back and need to lean against the backrest in numerous places to get relief.
Seems that this backrest may give me those options.

Doug

flat6bagger
08-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Ordered!
Can't wait.
My back will be so happy.

Doug

Spewey Griffin
08-07-2015, 10:50 PM
I think the issue with the backrest is that the pad isn't contoured and it makes me sit forward to avoid the discomfort after a while. After reading another thread about this Backrest I took to the foam insert with a Bread knife and contoured it myself which was easy enough. I haven't re-installed it yet and I'm also thinking of taking the foam out and filling the zippered backrest with beans (not the edible type) if it's still uncomfortable. The backing board should keep it's basic shape.

flat6bagger
08-08-2015, 06:22 AM
I know a guy that owns an upholstery shop that will make any adjustments if needed.
I will try it out as is.
I don't like messing with things I know nothing about.:icon_biggrin:

Doug

toy_collector
08-08-2015, 07:32 AM
See the thread I started titled "smart mount driver backrest modification ". The backrest was up too high on my back and not contoured. After the changes I made it was perfect.

flat6bagger
08-08-2015, 07:48 AM
Thanks Toy
I will do that for sure.
Most of my pain is in my lower back so I just may need to lower it.

Doug

Dirtstiff's F6B
08-08-2015, 10:57 AM
Ordered!
Can't wait.
My back will be so happy.

Doug

The pad's mount and bracket
also offer adjustment.
You will find a comfortable fit.

I also added handle bar risers and mini foot boards.
All combined gave me a totally different seating position and comfort.

We have not found a reason to replace the oem seat from the long distance trips we've done.

Opinions will vary.

I think I also have some detailed install pics somewhere in my gallery.

Good luck.

Jim