PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry reciprocity

Pap
08-06-2015, 07:02 PM
What do you out of state travelers do to carry out of state on trips?
Do you need to contact the states you are going through?
I was looking on a map of the states that accept mine, but I'm not sure what I need to do if anything.

blackmetoc
08-06-2015, 07:11 PM
Check the web for any of the CCW sites and they will tell you the reciprocity for each state. Check for the states in which you'll be riding. Some want you to tell the cops if you get pulled over, some don't. I typically will, just so they know that I'm not hiding anything and I make certain my hands are slow and seen. Some states are mo fos: MD, NY to name two. Alabama has just changed their rest stops so you can't carry into the head. Makes no damned sense to me, because the state is pretty good for carry. Controllers gotta control.

ths61
08-06-2015, 07:13 PM
I was looking on a map of the states that accept mine, but I'm not sure what I need to do if anything.

Need to know each state's specific CC laws as they do differ (including their definition of concealed and where, what and when you can carry).

In the PRK, this even changes from city to city within the same state with the lefty local ordinances.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/motorcycle-revolver-holster-leather-saddle.jpg

flat6bagger
08-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Also check where and how your weapon has to be transported in states that do not rcognize your states CCW.
This can varry from state to state.

Doug

bob109
08-06-2015, 07:46 PM

Being from Pa. and traveling to Florida yearly with my motorhome and cycle/trailer in tow, I carry a loaded weapon along with a can of "Wasp Spray" in my coach. I made a copy of each state along the eastern I-95 corridor which has a Reciprocal Carry Law with Pa. I keep that info in a pouch behind my drivers seat. A motorhome is actually considered a "residence" and has some benefits under the "Castle Doctrine". There is one state along my travel route that doesn't have a RCP and I then put my weapon in my safe!

flat6bagger
08-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Bob,
I thought I read that Florida no longer recognizes Pennsylvania for CCW.

Doug

53driver
08-06-2015, 08:29 PM
Being from Pa. and traveling to Florida yearly with my motorhome and cycle/trailer in tow, I carry a loaded weapon along with a can of "Wasp Spray" in my coach. I made a copy of each state along the eastern I-95 corridor which has a Reciprocal Carry Law with Pa. I keep that info in a pouch behind my drivers seat. A motorhome is actually considered a "residence" and has some benefits under the "Castle Doctrine". There is one state along my travel route that doesn't have a RCP and I then put my weapon in my safe!

Bob,
Last I checked, MD & SC do not have reciprocity with PA. Not sure how you get to Florida, but I wind up spending some serious uncomfortable time in those two states trying to be good.
flat6bagger,
I just checked and as of mid July, Florida did have reciprocity.
Cheers!

ths61
08-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Pap,

Check this site out and put in your specific resident and non-resident permits.

HTH

USConcealedCarry.com - Travel (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/)

blackmetoc
08-06-2015, 08:44 PM

Maryland, People's Republic of.

stroguy
08-06-2015, 09:02 PM
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Your best resource as this org is continually updating within legislative sessions. I like the links directly to state codes and law books.

shooter
08-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Federal law is if you are just passing through a state with no intended stops other than gas or such then federal laws apply. Worst case , gun in a locked case unloaded and ammo not in close proximity. You guys may not like what I'm about to say , but it works for me. I dont give a shyt about state to state laws. I carry concealed everywhere I go. I never worry about it. Why? Cause I'm smart. When I'm in a foreign state I make sure that concealed is concealed. Find a method that is truly concealed without an accidental showing. For me that's pocket carry. I obey all traffic laws. I don't speed , I stop at all stop signs and I don't change lanes without signalling. Do not give LEO a chance to pull you over. I never obsess over getting caught cause I never give them a reason. I laugh at the drug dealers that get caught cause they are speeding. Ridiculous. Find yourself a good foolproof method of carry. Then make yourself low profile. I've been doing it for 36 years. Way before concealed carry. Oh , don't talk about it. Don't show it. Its a private thing. I see guys taking it out and showing it to every Tom , Dick , and Harry. If you're that proud of it , leave it at home. Don't show you're girlfriend. If you need to show it to be macho , leave it at home. Once again its a private thing. My wife and kids always know I'm carrying. They never say a word about it. They know. I can't say it enough , its a private thing.

Steve 0080
08-06-2015, 11:04 PM
+1

I have a Federal license to carry, but seldom do...I will however be taking a axe to the theater next time I go...

Pap
08-06-2015, 11:06 PM
Thanks all. Guess I have some reading to do.

stroguy
08-06-2015, 11:26 PM
+1
..I will however be taking a axe to the theater next time I go...

Mutually guaranteed destruction.

Stay out of certain parts of LA as in Louisiana, you'll think you made it to another planet. Laws are whatever they thought of that day.

gmorstad
08-06-2015, 11:42 PM

I am a concealed carry instructor in Wisconsin. To check reciprocity go to www.concealedcarryusa.com and you will see maps that show reciprocity for each state. You are required to know the laws of each state you travel through.

bob109
08-07-2015, 12:09 AM
Mutually guaranteed destruction.

Stay out of certain parts of LA as in Louisiana, you'll think you made it to another planet. Laws are whatever they thought of that day.

Portions of Philly Pa. rank right up there with LA:shock: Come to think of it, California is the Kellogg State......full of Fruits, Nuts and Flakes:stirthepot:

flat6bagger
08-07-2015, 08:23 AM
Remember that Illinois does not honor any other states license/permits although Illinois licenses are honored in 23 states.

"Twenty-three other states honor Illinois’ concealed-carry permit. Illinois does not recognize out-of-state permits – people in other states can get an Illinois concealed-carry permit at a cost of $300, along with completing the course and passing the background check."

If you come to Illinois DO NOT CARRY.

Doug

stroguy
08-07-2015, 08:29 AM
That does not sound like a money grab. What could that $300 possibly be for................um defense lawyers for the arrested shooters on the south side of Chitown?

shooter
08-07-2015, 08:40 AM
I'm in Illinois 2 or 3 times a month. F..k em. I always carry. I'm not gonna let some thug make me a victim. Illinois don't have enough money to fight me and the NRA. I get through with them tree huggin liberal azzholes they will be changing the name if that state to Shooterville. How was that Stro?

stroguy
08-07-2015, 08:44 AM
My bags is packed.

flat6bagger
08-07-2015, 08:49 AM
There are two states within the boundaries called "Illinois."
The state of Chicago and the rest of Illinois.
I proposed a license plate slogan a few years back that got denied.
It was: "Illinois..We Suck"

Hey shooter,
where do you go in Illinois?
Maybe I could ride down toward you and meet you sometime.

Doug

shooter
08-07-2015, 08:50 AM
When they change it to Shooterville you guys can all move there. We are gonna have a hell of a good time.

shooter
08-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Doug when it cools off a little my work will slow down. I would like to meet you halfway and get a bite to eat. We will talk.

shooter
08-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Doug , just so you know , when we meet , if I have my pants on I'm carrying.

flat6bagger
08-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Doug , just so you know , when we meet , if I have my pants on I'm carrying.

Me too!

Doug

BIGLRY
08-07-2015, 10:12 AM
. Find yourself a good foolproof method of carry. Then make yourself low profile. I've been doing it for 36 years. Way before concealed carry. Oh , don't talk about it. Don't show it. Its a private thing. I see guys taking it out and showing it to every Tom , Dick , and Harry. If you're that proud of it , leave it at home. Don't show you're girlfriend. If you need to show it to be macho , leave it at home. Once again its a private thing. My wife and kids always know I'm carrying. They never say a word about it. They know. I can't say it enough , its a private thing.No truer words have ever been said on the subject and my sentiments 100%

okiedoc
08-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Don't advertise it and stay safe. I agree with Shooter 100%. What they don't know won't hurt them, unless it needs to.

flat6bagger
08-07-2015, 06:09 PM
I agree 100% with Shooter.
Element of surprise is always best in my opinion.
If someone is bragging about carrying they are all about their egos.
Sort of like a martial artist with Karate stickers on their cars,hats with kung fu stuff on it etc.

Doug

stroguy
08-07-2015, 06:16 PM
A few years back in my Dodge LX car club days, we had a club event for ice cream at a local ice cream eatery. We had one member that was a hugger. I'm not a hugger but if you need it ok, I am old school and a handshake suffices between two grown men.....but that is yadyada. He hugged me just right the first time I carried my SIG226 under my mechanics shirt. Boy did his eyes go wide open. He looked and said 'I would have never figured'. Like the great shooter says....it's a private thingy till the feces hits the blades. It's just like my penis or my wallet, it goes everywhere with me.

shooter
08-07-2015, 07:29 PM
I'm gonna leave my wallet at home when I meet Doug to eat. I will have that other stuff with me.

Pap
08-07-2015, 07:42 PM
I'm gonna hijack my own thread.
If, hypothetically,let's say someone has a 38 snub nose and someone else has a Springfield XDS 45, what would your choice of conceal carry holster/concealment option be?
Hypothetically speaking, of course.

ths61
08-07-2015, 07:48 PM
I'm gonna hijack my own thread.
If, hypothetically,let's say someone has a 38 snub nose and someone else has a Springfield XDS 45, what would your choice of conceal carry holster/concealment option be?
Hypothetically speaking, of course.

What does your choice of holsters have to do with what gun(s) someone else might have ? :icon_wink:

FWIW, check out Crossbreed SuperTucks, very comfortable.

SuperTuck Deluxe (http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/HotcakesStore/ProductViewer/tabid/113/slug/SuperTuck-Deluxe/Default.aspx)

stroguy
08-07-2015, 08:15 PM
What if you were a person that carried both of those? Hmmm, that would be me....well an XDS9. I carry my .38 SW442 in my front pants pocket when I am wearing loose fitting shorts, gym shorts or or non blue jean long pants. I carry my XDS9 in a Comp Tac Infidel IWB kidney side holster. I am a die hard Comp Tac user. Yes I do carry both on occasion.

flat6bagger
08-07-2015, 08:49 PM
I'm gonna leave my wallet at home when I meet Doug to eat. I will have that other stuff with me.

That's all good with me brother.
I'll buy.:icon_biggrin:

Doug

flat6bagger
08-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Stro,
I just had one of those shock someone moments two weeks ago.
I was on one of our group 400+ mile lunch runs.
We stopped for gas and one of the guys asked me what the knob on the right hand side did.
I said it was to take the glove box lid off.
I turned the knob and took the cover off.
Well there was my Smith & Wesson Shield sitting there minding it's own business.
He saw it and said "Whoa!" "I guess we are safer than I thought we were."
I think he forgot all about the glove box lid because he just turned and walked away mumbling to himself.:icon_lol:

Doug

stroguy
08-07-2015, 09:12 PM
It really is amazing how the media in this country has made the everyday non-gun person just absolutely petrified of guns. The mere act of seeing a gun brings horror and fear to the non-gun owner.

shooter
08-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Pap I also carry both of those guns. A 340 PD and an XDs 45ACP. The 340 is lighter but the XDs is flatter. I've carried a lot of guns a lot if different ways but for over two years its been the XDs in a DeSantis pocket holster. I sometimes move that to an ankle holster. Although a 1911 is my favorite gun for me the XDs is the perfect carry 45.

flat6bagger
08-07-2015, 09:19 PM
It really is amazing how the media in this country has made the everyday non-gun person just absolutely petrified of guns. The mere act of seeing a gun brings horror and fear to the non-gun owner.

Absolutely.
Here in Illinois especially.
We were the last state to get concealed carry.
I swear the "sheep" in this state believe since there are so many killings in Chicago by gangs that everyone that has a gun must be a thug.
It is crazy.

Doug

Steve 0080
08-07-2015, 11:07 PM
Arm the Grandpa's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epZod2qyyN4

flat6bagger
08-08-2015, 06:03 AM
That old guy needs his license taken away.
Fortunately he didn't kill innocent people the way he was shooting.
If you can shoot like that in Florida and pass concealed carry,they ought to take away the instructors licenses.
That is ridiculous.

Doug

Pap
08-08-2015, 09:05 AM
Pap I also carry both of those guns. A 340 PD and an XDs 45ACP. The 340 is lighter but the XDs is flatter. I've carried a lot of guns a lot if different ways but for over two years its been the XDs in a DeSantis pocket holster. I sometimes move that to an ankle holster. Although a 1911 is my favorite gun for me the XDs is the perfect carry 45.

Which model pocket holster do you prefer?
Sounds like something I'd be interested in getting.
The ankle holster sounds good too.

Steve 0080
08-08-2015, 10:04 AM
That old guy needs his license taken away.
Fortunately he didn't kill innocent people the way he was shooting.
If you can shoot like that in Florida and pass concealed carry,they ought to take away the instructors licenses.
That is ridiculous.

Doug

Not sure where the town or state was...just an example of having someone w/ a weapon and things come out different.... Yes, the gentleman needs to head to the range!

bob109
08-08-2015, 10:06 AM
I totally disagree! That "Old Man" deserves a "Marksman-Ship Award"! Looking at the video he take good aim at those two "a$$ holes" and hits his mark. No bystanders hurt. He wasn't shooting randomly and appears to have had small weapons training:icon_wink:

shooter
08-08-2015, 10:10 AM
OK Pap. I use a DeSantis Nemisis holster. The one I use fits both guns. The fit isn't perfect for either gun but a pocket holster is only for positioning. It should be loose enough so the gun comes out freely. Alessi is the best ankle holster out there. When you get it fill a 1 liter soda bottle with hot water and wrap the holster around it. Leave it for 2 hours at least. Do that 3 times. Then put it on yourself and wear around the house for a few evenings. This will break the holster in. Pap when I ankle carry I have a system. Black jeans , black socks , black shoes , black holster , black gun. That way if your pants ride up it all looks the same.

stroguy
08-08-2015, 10:54 AM
I totally disagree! That "Old Man" deserves a "Marksman-Ship Award"! Looking at the video he take good aim at those two "a$$ holes" and hits his mark. No bystanders hurt. He wasn't shooting randomly and appears to have had small weapons training:icon_wink:

I would say he used pretty good judgement. He deployed his firearm and went offensive at the armed suspect. Going towards the target increase your odds of hitting the target. There was only one person in harms way and she hit the floor behind the counter before he fired his first shot. His first shot came when the thug was circling his gun towards the grandpa. The second camera shows there were only slots behind the first thug. He continued on the offensive and fired his last shot when the thug was facing him on the ground and there was no way of telling whether he was going to shoot back in the establishment. Good shooting in my opinion. This grandpa had some previous training. Ex-cop, military, something. You can't sit back and wait to find out if they are there for just money. Once the thug pulls the gun the fight is on when it is at my advantage.

ths61
08-08-2015, 11:21 AM
The video says something about limiting magazine capacities (or using too small of a caliber). He emptied his magazine at point blank range and all of them were still running. If they turned and fought, he would be SOL.

Not unlike the Atlanta mother than emptied a .38 in the chest of a guy robbing her house while protecting her 9 year old twins behind her. The guy gets up, walks out, gets into his SUV and drives away. Granted, he didn't make it out of the neighborhood.

mother-hiding-kids-shoots-intruder (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/woman-hiding-kids-shoots-intruder/nTm7s/)

Steve 0080
08-08-2015, 11:30 AM

I based my statement on the fact that they were close and no "hits"....just sayin !!!

I can not see the vid now but seemed like 5-6 shots and no one down!

Pap
08-08-2015, 01:29 PM
OK Pap. I use a DeSantis Nemisis holster. The one I use fits both guns. The fit isn't perfect for either gun but a pocket holster is only for positioning. It should be loose enough so the gun comes out freely. Alessi is the best ankle holster out there. When you get it fill a 1 liter soda bottle with hot water and wrap the holster around it. Leave it for 2 hours at least. Do that 3 times. Then put it on yourself and wear around the house for a few evenings. This will break the holster in. Pap when I ankle carry I have a system. Black jeans , black socks , black shoes , black holster , black gun. That way if your pants ride up it all looks the same.

Thanks Shooter!
I picked up a pocket holster today. I will look into the ankle holster.
I appreciate the feedback!

bob109
08-08-2015, 04:27 PM
I based my statement on the fact that they were close and no "hits"....just sayin !!!

I can not see the vid now but seemed like 5-6 shots and no one down!

OK! No "Marksman-ship" award! He sure deserves a "Brass Balls Award".....Senior Motto....We don't give $hit, but we sure don't take $hit:icon_wink:

Steve 0080
08-08-2015, 05:12 PM
OK! No "Marksman-ship" award! He sure deserves a "Brass Balls Award".....Senior Motto....We don't give $hit, but we sure don't take $hit:icon_wink:

+1

stroguy
08-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Both thugs were hit. Adrenaline is a cool drug, it'll make the most brazen thug run like a deer through the woods.

Edit: the lady I thought had hit the floor never did. She was right there with thugerous1. Tricky shot. I still find his actions in fairly good judgement.

Steve 0080
08-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Both thugs were hit. Adrenaline is a cool drug, it'll make the most brazen thug run like a deer through the woods.

Edit: the lady I thought had hit the floor never did. She was right there with thugerous1. Tricky shot. I still find his actions in fairly good judgement.

Bottom line is...had the ole guy not started shooting the out come could/would have been very different and not in a good way.....

stroguy
08-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Bottom line is...had the ole guy not started shooting the out come could/would have been very different and not in a good way.....

Exactly right sir. I am not going to sit there and flip a coin as to what I think that POS is going to do with that gun. When the advantage is mine it's 'fight on'.