PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever had to remove a broken tap???

DarkKnt
08-07-2015, 09:38 AM
I was working on my other bike, a 1990 GSXR 1100, and broke a thread tap in the head. It broke flush with the surface. I googled a solution and found a "tap remover" that looks promising. Unless anybody has an easier fix, I'll give it a try... Just thought some of you old "gear heads" may have a trick or two....

BIGLRY
08-07-2015, 09:49 AM
I was working on my other bike, a 1990 GSXR 1100, and broke a thread tap in the head. It broke flush with the surface. I googled a solution and found a "tap remover" that looks promising. Unless anybody has an easier fix, I'll give it a try... Just thought some of you old "gear heads" may have a trick or two....
Yep, I broke a tap in a VTX1800 head and a Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) did the job without any damage to the head or having to remove the engine from the frame. If you can't get the broken tap out check with any of you local machine shops and see who has an portable EDM machine as you need one that can be attached to your part, not a CC table type used for making parts.

For more about EDM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_discharge_machining

This is a vid of how they work and how to make a small EDM machine which is to small for what you need, but you'll get the idea.

https://youtu.be/uUN4_-xp1Wc

wiggy
08-07-2015, 09:44 PM
At work(Caterpillar) we have 4 fluted tap extractors. They work ok as long as the Tap isn't super tight in the hole. They're kinda pricey online---seem to be in the 20 some buck range.

We also have tap burners at work but it's mainly the machine shop that uses them...not us in Maintenance.

DarkKnt
08-07-2015, 11:55 PM
First I'll try the "Walton Tap Remover" kit that I just picked up. If it doesn't work, well, I don't need a door bell anyway...

wiggy
08-08-2015, 10:55 AM
First I'll try the "Walton Tap Remover" kit that I just picked up. If it doesn't work, well, I don't need a door bell anyway...

GL on getting the broken tap out.

When I venture to work on something I haven't done before, I call it "Playing Star Trek"....."Boldly going where no man has been before!" :cheers:

DarkKnt
08-08-2015, 11:56 PM
Yup, all friggin afternoon working on the bast#$d... and no luck. The tap is in at least 2 pieces, so binds on itself. The tool simply couldn't apply enough torque to un-jam the pieces without breaking the tangs... EDM here I come.

DarkKnt
08-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Spoke to several machine shops and learned the ins and outs (pun intended) of tap removal... According to one, the EDM or plasma cutter runs the risk of arcing in the engine, which could cause you a lot of grief - think tranny or crank bearings etc. Sooo, I tried the old fashioned "beat the hell out of it with a punch" method, as one of the machinists suggested. I got lucky; it broke into small enough pieces to get out and I didn't even mung up the hole too bad. Just thought I'd pass along what I learned.... Now back to that heli coil I was working on.

Willl
08-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Nice :icon_cool:

unsub
08-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Spoke to several machine shops and learned the ins and outs (pun intended) of tap removal... According to one, the EDM or plasma cutter runs the risk of arcing in the engine, which could cause you a lot of grief - think tranny or crank bearings etc. Sooo, I tried the old fashioned "beat the hell out of it with a punch" method, as one of the machinists suggested. I got lucky; it broke into small enough pieces to get out and I didn't even mung up the hole too bad. Just thought I'd pass along what I learned.... Now back to that heli coil I was working on.

Hey, good to know the BFH method applies here too. Thanks for sharing.:icon_biggrin: