PDA

View Full Version : DEFINITELTY installing headlight modulators

willtill
08-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Geezuz...! :soapbox:

Not even 300 miles on my F6B yet... and TWICE today cagers tried to pull out in front of me. :furious: That never happened since installing modulators on my other prior bikes. I have used modulators for years; now I am again witnessing what happens without them. :icon_rolleyes:

I practice all the defensive riding techniques; but I need these darned things here in the congested Balt-Wash DC corridor. The traffic around here could be murder... if you let it.

Will be placing an order tonight to Kisan; for them.

dickiedeals
08-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Geezuz...! :soapbox:

Not even 300 miles on my F6B yet... and TWICE today cagers tried to pull out in front of me. :furious: That never happened since installing modulators on my other prior bikes. I have used modulators for years; now I am again witnessing what happens without them. :icon_rolleyes:

I practice all the defensive riding techniques; but I need these darned things here in the congested Balt-Wash DC corridor. The traffic around here could be murder... if you let it.

Will be placing an order tonight to Kisan; for them.

Install 960 Dual leds in the Lower cowl . The cagers
will see you...................Dickie

Deer Slayer
08-08-2015, 04:33 PM
If I may add: I too used the modulators on two Goldwings. The problem is that DEER also freeze in their tracks. I totaled my 2008 Wing in California in 2013. The modulators are great, but I would recommend switching the function off in deer areas. Good luck.:cheers:

Steve 0080
08-08-2015, 05:08 PM
I had them on a bike for a while...they worked GREAT...when my son started riding I put them on his bike for his safty !!! Only down side is they do not like HID's...

hgslayr
08-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Thank God f6b has a truck horn....lol

willtill
08-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Thank God f6b has a truck horn....lol

True dat. :yes: Loudest OEM horn I have heard on a motorcycle yet.

hgslayr
08-08-2015, 06:19 PM
I drive with my HIDs on bright during the day..My friend said he looked in his mirrors and thought a 747 was landing behind him on the freeway...lol

RickJ
08-08-2015, 07:18 PM

funny you should mention. I was thinking about these yesterday...did you look at all fog options and come up with these? In keeping with the OP...do these do what we want (re modulator alternative ) during the day?

GiddyupF6B
08-08-2015, 09:50 PM
I have HID low beams, 960 led fogs, and white turn led signal ..since I've added all that I've had almost no issues at all. My bike is highly visible from a great distance now with all that super bright white light....just a thought.

willtill
08-09-2015, 06:27 AM

I have the LED rectangular FogLight kit on order (currently backordered) from WingStuff.com

On my current DR650 and my prior owned Rocket 3, I was running modulators as well as the ADV Monster M30 LED's:

http://stores.advmonster.com/model-30-led-off-road-spot-light/

The M30's are very noticeable; and when used with the modulating headlight; a blind man couldn't help but notice you. :icon_cool:

willtill
08-09-2015, 06:33 AM
If I may add: I too used the modulators on two Goldwings. The problem is that DEER also freeze in their tracks. I totaled my 2008 Wing in California in 2013. The modulators are great, but I would recommend switching the function off in deer areas. Good luck.:cheers:

We do have lot's of deer around here. I have a deer "gauntlet" that I have to negotiate through; right out of the 'hood that I ride from every day. I normally do not ride at night; especially during the autumn/late fall when the deer are most active.

I also am an avid deer hunter. With bow and black powder.. I harvest them and eat them. 4 in the freezer at the end of each season is the norm for me. :yes:

Deer are very unpredictable. I don't think modulating headlights have any more effect on them; as opposed to other light producing equipment. They will do what they want to do; insanely most of the time when it comes to a motor vehicle.

willtill
08-16-2015, 05:57 PM
I just ordered the Kisan Pathfinder P115-W-D modulators.... Seems they got their website sorted out.

I shudder when I see what I'm going to go through; with accessing the high beam bulbs on the F6B. I thought my Victoty Vision's headlamps were a pain in the ass.... now meet the F6B. :shock:

Look forward to receiving them quickly; and getting them installed. :yes: (well not looking forward to the "install" but having them operational). :icon_wink:

hgslayr
08-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Will....Its not that bad..top ones are the biggest challenge..more time consuming than anything..

fxdl2051
08-17-2015, 06:19 PM
I swear by them. It's only when I turn them off, that I have near death experiences. The only downside is people will occasionally pull off the road waiting for a ticket, two weeks ago a blond actually stopped in the middle of a winding road, waiting for a spot check.

tmac99
08-18-2015, 09:44 AM
I took a slightly different approach, and installed a Kisan modulator (P115W-H3-HD - programmed for LED) - wired into my OEM fog lights. Works well and of course, the fog lights can be turned off if needed for any reason (I haven't found a reason yet). The cars definitely notice me, and quite a few slow down so as not to get a ticket, and I have also seen quite a few cars decide against pulling out in front of me at the last minute, so I believe they definitely work well.

willtill
08-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Yep.. it's a no brainer to get them installed. Normally I have always installed on the high beam... but I just "may" install them on the F6B's low beams this time because:

1. low beams are easier to access.
2. F6B's high beams are REALLY bright. Much more it seems, than on my previous motorcycles which all had modulators installed.

We'll see how I feel; the day I receive and install them. :icon_lol:

Travelor
08-18-2015, 07:28 PM
Will - I installed mine on the low beams because the high beams are so bright. The work fine, much easier to get to, and completely legal. I did wire in a cut-out switch so I can turn them off during the day if I want to, like in stop and go traffic jams. Here is a picture of the sensor position. Be careful if you use this location, there are some thing underneath the location. A step drill makes it easy, and I used a slightly different grommet setup from the one supplied with the kit. I also wired in a small cut-off switch on the left side of this cover. All you have to do is put the switch in-line with one of the sensor's wires, it dosn't matter which one. You will love them.3312

willtill
08-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Will - I installed mine on the low beams because the high beams are so bright. The work fine, much easier to get to, and completely legal. I did wire in a cut-out switch so I can turn them off during the day if I want to, like in stop and go traffic jams. Here is a picture of the sensor position. Be careful if you use this location, there are some thing underneath the location. A step drill makes it easy, and I used a slightly different grommet setup from the one supplied with the kit. I also wired in a small cut-off switch on the left side of this cover. All you have to do is put the switch in-line with one of the sensor's wires, it dosn't matter which one. You will love them.15825

Good info. Thank you very much! :yes:

radi0chik
08-19-2015, 12:47 PM
They do help with SOME folks. But not all. Like this woman this morning.
http://youtu.be/TvJxjLk2ix4

willtill
08-19-2015, 12:51 PM
They do help with SOME folks. But not all. Like this woman this morning.
http://youtu.be/TvJxjLk2ix4

I see two problems with that video.

1. The motorcyclist is changing lanes and not signaling
2. The driver whom wanted to merge into the right lane; was signaling; and the motorcyclist could have been polite by backing off and letting them in.

...just saying.

radi0chik
08-19-2015, 12:55 PM
I did let her in. As if I had a choice. But she came zipping up from the side and slammed on her brakes to get in in front of me. That's what I have the issue with.

willtill
08-19-2015, 12:59 PM
I did let her in. As if I had a choice. But she came zipping up from the side and slammed on her brakes to get in in front of me. That's what I have the issue with.

I'm not attacking you.. but you were zipping along pretty well too.

Everyone needs to be a little more courteous out there. And as we all know... a motorcycle will always lose an argument with a car.

I think that driver did notice you. It wasn't a complete, abrupt full swerve into your lane. Your modulators worked. That driver saw you. But they will never guarantee you the right of way.

taxfree4
08-20-2015, 03:39 AM
By the footage the posted speed limit is 35 mph and she never exceeded 30, also when she passed the white car she was as far left in the lane as you could possibly be. Defensively, if someone to the right of you moves toward the divider your first instinct is to slow your rate of speed or look to change lanes, anticipating a lane change w/o signalling, just the opposite happened. Chik slowed down to 20 then was accelerating to 30 when the idiot in the car decided to torpedo in. My guess is that the driver of the car was calculating to turn into the lane judging the bike at its' current speed, 20 mph while never anticipating, wrongly so, that chik would accelerate back up to the normal speed. The driver of the car in no way had enough room, not even a full car length, to enter the lane. The 18 second mark is where, IMHO, the car was calculating from: white minivan has just left road, chik is at 20 mph, plenty of space to enter lane. I don't think the driver of the car bothered to look back after that until they caught the modulators in their passenger side mirror at the last minute which explains the car never fully entering all the way in, sort of angling in and slightly veering left at the very last second.

BubbaJePH
08-24-2015, 07:58 PM
I have the Kisan Headlight Modulator. It has saved my butt many times over. Yes there will be some cagers that will stop in front of you. Don't tailgate and you should be OK.