PDA

View Full Version : Rear Reflective Panels

Steve 0080
08-08-2015, 11:16 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Gold-Wing-GL1800-F6B-2012-and-newer-rear-reflective-decals/121563988105?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1% 26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D97942e4cfb604612ba 4e2ebebf5cb8d5%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%2 6sd%3D261992961658

Any thoughts?

F6B1911
08-09-2015, 05:37 AM
I'm all for visibility.... but it depends on the type of adhesive they use
... how long will they lay flat to the surface they're stuck to? It would look tacky with reflective stickers with curled edges
The black panels don't appear to be too obnoxious looking in the daytime, not sure I'd want the white or yellow on my black F6B?
Conspicuity makes some great visibility items, I've had a few of their products last years on a helmet.
Just ordered a set in black, I'll bring them to Franklin.

willtill
08-09-2015, 06:40 AM
I have used those type reflective panels in the past; on my Caribou luggage that was mounted on my prior owned DL650. I used the black reflective panels; that emitted a white refection at night when light was reflected from it.

While they are not reflective in the way that SOLAS reflective tape is; those panels will stand out at night and help give you 'presence" in the dark.

The F6B simply does not have enough lighting and reflectivity in the back. This is why I am installing two 16 LED Hyper-Lites. The silver colored F6B is also a good candidate for those reflective panels on the rear. There is ample rear area to install reflective tape; using the black reflective ones would not denigrate the aesthetic looks on the rear of the bike IMHO.

Here's a video I found about installing the same type:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlzrGF9uMZo

willtill
08-09-2015, 09:27 AM
i've ordered a set of those reflective panels (in black)... should have them this Tuesday. I'll post some pics of them after I get 'em installed. :yes:

Steve 0080
08-09-2015, 10:27 AM
I am waiting for the pic's !!!!!

cueman
08-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Had em on my R1150 GSA and liked them. Will order a set for my F6B. :yes: cueman

Ridlikhel
08-09-2015, 08:58 PM
I had a set of these on my ST-1300 and they worked great. Had many people tell me just how easy it was to be seen. Been looking for something like this since I got the bike. Now I will feel a whole lot safer, even though I try hard not to ride at night.

Had them on for 5 years with no fade or peeling.

Thanks for posting this. :clap2:

Hornblower
08-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Thanks, Steve :clap2:. Another nice find :yes:. I ordered a set in black because I believe in added conspicuity and also I figured the more of Honda's crappy paint I can cover the better :icon_frown:

Steve 0080
08-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Thanks, Steve :clap2:. Another nice find :yes:. I ordered a set in black because I believe in added conspicuity and also I figured the more of Honda's crappy paint I can cover the better :icon_frown:

My thoughts exactly!

dickiedeals
08-10-2015, 03:36 PM
I'm trying the Black as well...........................Dickie

willtill
08-10-2015, 04:02 PM
i've ordered a set of those reflective panels (in black)... should have them this Tuesday. I'll post some pics of them after I get 'em installed. :yes:

I am waiting for the pic's !!!!!

Ufff... apparently my stickers are being shipped via canoe or something. I'm now not receiving them until Aug 17th... according to the seller's shipping status :icon_rolleyes:

F6B1911
08-10-2015, 04:49 PM
Ufff... apparently my stickers are being shipped via canoe or something. I'm now not receiving them until Aug 17th... according to the seller's shipping status :icon_rolleyes:

Looks like mine shipped via kayak, shipping shows expected arrival date of 08.17.2015.

Ridlikhel
08-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Mine Aug 17th also, but that's ok with me after looking for them this long.

cueman
08-10-2015, 06:59 PM
Mine are ordered and on the way. :clap2: cueman

Deano K
08-11-2015, 09:14 AM
I'm all for visibility.... but it depends on the type of adhesive they use
... how long will they lay flat to the surface they're stuck to? It would look tacky with reflective stickers with curled edges
The black panels don't appear to be too obnoxious looking in the daytime, not sure I'd want the white or yellow on my black F6B?
Conspicuity makes some great visibility items, I've had a few of their products last years on a helmet.
Just ordered a set in black, I'll bring them to Franklin.

Hi guys,
The "they" referred to above is ME. I've been making reflective decal kits for 12 years now and the first set I made for my FJR1300 is still happily stuck to it!
The material is Scotchlite 3M adhesive vinyl, which will not come off unless you work at it. 99% of the F6B crowd wants black which is great. I only offered the other
colors to match bikes of those colors. Honda has cleverly made their red and yellow bikes to be a close match to the Scotchlite materials!
Final note - ebay does some CYA with promised shipping arrival dates. I'd call them the worst case scenario.
Ride safe!
Deano K.

Vondawg
08-11-2015, 10:09 AM
Thanks Deano and thanks for the great communication with me this am.
Von

98valk
08-12-2015, 02:49 PM
I like the idea, but am not too keen on putting them on my $12 paint job.

How about a rectangular piece on the plastic below the license plate?

Fla_rider
08-13-2015, 09:22 AM
Hi guys,
The "they" referred to above is ME. I've been making reflective decal kits for 12 years now and the first set I made for my FJR1300 is still happily stuck to it!
The material is Scotchlite 3M adhesive vinyl, which will not come off unless you work at it. 99% of the F6B crowd wants black which is great. I only offered the other
colors to match bikes of those colors. Honda has cleverly made their red and yellow bikes to be a close match to the Scotchlite materials!
Final note - ebay does some CYA with promised shipping arrival dates. I'd call them the worst case scenario.
Ride safe!
Deano K.

Anyway you could send a few sets to the rally, this will give your product hands on marketing!

willtill
08-13-2015, 02:05 PM
Well I just got my panels and I am not happy with them. Both of them have a crease in them; I do not think it's going to be pressed out.

These should have been shipped with a stiff piece of cardboard in the envelope, so they could not be bent.

:no:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2v0kb50.jpg

ths61
08-13-2015, 02:19 PM
Well I just got my panels and I am not happy with them. Both of them have a crease in them; I do not think it's going to be pressed out.

These should have been shipped with a stiff piece of cardboard in the envelope, so they could not be bent.

Send them back.

willtill
08-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Send them back.

I sent the seller a message.

It is ridiculous in away, these are nothing but 3M reflective panels that anyone can order and cut out; for cheaper than what we are buying them for. I just ordered them for the convenience of it already being designed. Now it's going to be a pain in the ass; to have to go to the post office to mail them back. Especially when my time is money...

Should just ordered the panels myself and cut them out me thinks now....

We'll see how the seller responds.

98valk
08-13-2015, 05:41 PM
I sent the seller a message.

It is ridiculous in away, these are nothing but 3M reflective panels that anyone can order and cut out; for cheaper than what we are buying them for. I just ordered them for the convenience of it already being designed. Now it's going to be a pain in the ass; to have to go to the post office to mail them back. Especially when my time is money...

Should just ordered the panels myself and cut them out me thinks now....

We'll see how the seller responds.

It doesn't seem cost effective to return them for anyone concerned. I imagine the seller will just replace them and you could possibly cut those down and use them somewhere else (Like between the saddlebags)? :yes:

Deano K
08-13-2015, 07:48 PM

http://i57.tinypic.com/2v0kb50.jpg

I will replace them. Thanks for telling the world before you gave me a chance to act. I've been shipping these things out around the world for 12 years. In that time yours is the second set that I've heard arrived creased, so it is not cost effective for me to put a stiffener into the packaging as it is a low risk proposition looking at the numbers.
For your replacements I will add a stiffener.

Deano K.

BIGLRY
08-13-2015, 08:11 PM
:icon_rolleyes: Now there's a man who stands behind his product, whether you like it or not you have to respect that:yes:

98valk
08-13-2015, 08:36 PM
:icon_rolleyes: Now there's a man who stands behind his product, whether you like it or not you have to respect that:yes:

+1 :yes:

And Deano K, I think this is actually positive publicity. Good on you!

willtill
08-13-2015, 08:47 PM
I will replace them. Thanks for telling the world before you gave me a chance to act. I've been shipping these things out around the world for 12 years. In that time yours is the second set that I've heard arrived creased, so it is not cost effective for me to put a stiffener into the packaging as it is a low risk proposition looking at the numbers.
For your replacements I will add a stiffener.

Deano K.

Hey Deano K... this is a product review thread. I was not trying to imply that your customer service was lacking. All I did was report in the interest of this thread, of this product.

What was reported was factual. Real world consumer experience. That's all.

I'm not trying to; nor was my intent to crucify you or your product.

Thanks for making things right.

Deano K
08-13-2015, 09:31 PM
+1 :yes:

And Deano K, I think this is actually positive publicity. Good on you!

I'm just trying to keep everyone happy. Approaching 3500 +'s on ebay with 100% positives. Now you guys do your part and keep the sunny side up.

Deano K.

Airborne06
08-14-2015, 08:00 PM
Just ordered mine (black)....delivery on Saturday the 22d. I hope they look unobtrusive and OEM. I will feel better riding at night with these reflecting back at the insane Florida drivers.

Vondawg
08-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Got mine today (sat) maybe took a week...perfect condition...looks great thanks Deano !

maxrider
08-19-2015, 12:10 AM
Okay I'm in, ordered me a set, look forward to a nice fit, and PLENTY reflection.

Old Ryder
08-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Still waiting on those "installed pictures".

co425
08-20-2015, 05:10 AM
Still waiting on those "installed pictures".

Same here. Someone take some good installed pictures. Night and day please.

dickiedeals
08-20-2015, 07:29 AM
Ordered mine. got them in but have not installed them. The instructions say, remove all wax before installation. I have 5 coats of liquid glass .What removes liquid Glass? Its a carbon not a wax. The last thing I want is for them to peel off after installing on top of LG.....Any suggestions guys.......:shrug:...........Dickie

Deano K
08-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Ordered mine. got them in but have not installed them. The instructions say, remove all wax before installation. I have 5 coats of liquid glass .What removes liquid Glass? Its a carbon not a wax. The last thing I want is for them to peel off after installing on top of LG.....Any suggestions guys.......:shrug:...........Dickie

If it's not a wax it may not be an issue. Try 1 side and see what you get. If it doesn't stick I'll replace it. If it doesn't you might try some TSP on the area.

Some wry humor follows: I sell 40 different kinds of bike decals and I must say the F6B crowd has been the most "challenging!" Maybe that's the demographic... :icon_razz: These aren't even close to being the larges square inch decals I offer, so doubly puzzling. BTW - FJR1300s rule!

Deano
Final note - In spite of my messaging settings here to the contrary, I NEVER get email notifications for either PMs OR forum responses, so it may be a couple days before I come back to check on progress

Deano K
08-21-2015, 01:57 PM
These are from the guy who was my beta tester. The ones I'm selling differ a bit in that the corners come to a point rather than being rounded off and they don't go "up the slope" . Also they're going to light up a lot more with headlights.

grendl
08-25-2015, 05:44 PM
I like this Idea ! Would love to see close ups of how it looks normally but the concept is sound. the glow at night is cool at a lot of levels. For the price may be worth it to order and see for myself...

Ridlikhel
08-25-2015, 08:50 PM
Put mine on this weekend and it was a simple install with great results. Will try to get some good photos this coming weekend.

dickiedeals
08-25-2015, 11:23 PM
Installed mine Today.Took a chance and installed them on top of the Liquid Glass.Did it the old school wet soapy way.Went on Easy. I'll get photos soon as I can. Been busy as a one armed paper Hanger. Got to get my Chit together so I can get up to Franklin..........Dickie

Dfinkelsteinmd
08-26-2015, 10:15 AM
My decals were lost in the mail, although the USPS claims to have put them in/at the mailbox. The seller has been very communicative and had offered to replace them so I am waiting to get them, and will also need to wash off the liquid glass from my bags...

dickiedeals
08-26-2015, 10:44 AM
My decals were lost in the mail, although the USPS claims to have put them in/at the mailbox. The seller has been very communicative and had offered to replace them so I am waiting to get them, and will also need to wash off the liquid glass from my bags...

Good Ole USPS looses 25% of the stuff I ship with them. No need in paying for tracking because their workers rarely scan. Many times delivered and never scanned. Many times scanned delivered yet not delivered. You file complaints and all you get is a shoulder shrug..They claim they are going broke and want more money for shipping. They need to trim the fat from the top down. Fire every other supervisor supervising supervisors. This alone will put them on the plus side.They are cutting delivery personnel salary's, making them take unpaid lunches for an hour in the middle of the day and closing Post Offices for an hour mid day to save money.The USPS has become a money wasting Cluster Fudge Organization .......I'm sorry for hijacking the thread but the USPS is a sore spot with me..........Dickie

willtill
08-26-2015, 11:12 AM
Your :soapbox: is relevant to this thread Dickie. Shoot... I am still awaiting a pair of headlight modulators from Kisan; they were sent out last week (17 Aug) and are still showing as PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT TO USPS

The vendor is just as mystified as I am. :icon_lol:

Dfinkelsteinmd
08-27-2015, 01:03 AM
Yeah it's a shame that the once proud profession of letter carriers had become bloated and inefficient, just like the rest of our obese progressive government. Don't even get me started on the EPA! My mail is so unliable that I ask my mail person (if they speak English or Spanish) to leave the stuff at my door step. The few times they have actually delivered things of value "in/at the mailbox" some guy in a hoodie breaks the little door and steals the mail. This is a gated community, mind you. Now I use FedEx and ups for all of my important stuff, and don't buy from vendors who use "economy shipping."

So I hope Deano will send another set of decals soon so that I can review them and post pic's for you all. If not then I will rely upon EBay to make me whoe and go to Walmart for my own 3M reflective tape for 1/2 the money...

Deano K
08-27-2015, 01:53 PM
I have mailed literally thousands of these sets around the world and now can count on 2 fingers the ones that didn't make it, (other one to Australia) so in my mailing professional mind they do a pretty good job. Recall that congress forced them to pay their ENTIRE retirement fund obligations for the next 70 years within in the past 5 years which makes their balance sheet look pretty bad. When you've got FedEx and UPS whispering in the ear of congress that's what you get. Just wait until it's privatized - you'll have a whole new set of complaints.

The good Dr got his money back from ebay, while finding me not at fault, so he is made whole. I send out a set in good faith, it gets lost and I get nothing. Gotta love it. Offered to send another set with signature required using the money he got back. Maybe that will work. Gated communities must be tough... :icon_wink:

Dfinkelsteinmd
08-29-2015, 12:24 PM
Yes EBay reimbursed me after I offered to accept a replacement set that would be mailed differently (insured or in a box), but that did not happen. It is very sad indeed to see a venerable institution like the U.S. Mail become as bloated and prone to errors, theft and probably corruption, but that's the window of opportunity in which free enterprise and competition thrive. Thanks to EBay, Amazon, Alibaba and Gilt Group, to mention a few very successful businesses that have done well by disruption and real customer service. They actually get what most of us have always said--the customer is always right!

Steve 0080
08-30-2015, 12:02 AM
If it's not a wax it may not be an issue. Try 1 side and see what you get. If it doesn't stick I'll replace it. If it doesn't you might try some TSP on the area.

Some wry humor follows: I sell 40 different kinds of bike decals and I must say the F6B crowd has been the most "challenging!" Maybe that's the demographic... :icon_razz: These aren't even close to being the larges square inch decals I offer, so doubly puzzling. BTW - FJR1300s rule!

Deano
Final note - In spite of my messaging settings here to the contrary, I NEVER get email notifications for either PMs OR forum responses, so it may be a couple days before I come back to check on progress

Man you guys are a tough crowd....take it easy...seems to me the vendor is bending over backwards.....

Vondawg
08-30-2015, 12:51 PM
I totally agree !

edgeman55
08-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Man you guys are a tough crowd....take it easy...seems to me the vendor is bending over backwards.....

No kidding-If some get this worked up over reflective panels what do they do when faced with a real problem:yikes:Plus this vendor seems to be doing pretty much all he can to make things right.

willtill
08-30-2015, 07:23 PM
Oh btw Deeno K... I am going to put in another order for your decals... I'll include in the "message to the seller" that you pack 'em the same way; that you did with the second one you sent. They did arrive unscathed from the USPS....

Thanks Bro! :yes:

seadog
08-30-2015, 07:51 PM
How do you pick the color you want? I went on Ebay and there is no black or white or yellow or red to pick from. I just wanted a set of Black ones.

willtill
08-30-2015, 09:00 PM
How do you pick the color you want? I went on Ebay and there is no black or white or yellow or red to pick from. I just wanted a set of Black ones.

You have to specify in a message to Deano K; as to what you want (for color).

tinkerman
08-31-2015, 07:32 AM
Still no pics other than from the vender??

I would consider adding some reflective vis to thee back of the bike if it didn't look to butt ugly....I think the black on black would be good but would like to hear from someone that has tried it.

tink

willtill
08-31-2015, 08:45 AM
Still no pics other than from the vender??

I would consider adding some reflective vis to thee back of the bike if it didn't look to butt ugly....I think the black on black would be good but would like to hear from someone that has tried it.

tink

I had applied my decals and was going to take pictures. But I did not because I was sort of unhappy with a couple of air bubbles and creases (that I made) in the reflective film.

I had applied them on a day when it was hot and muggy out, mosquito's were biting me, I was in a foul mood and my mind was elsewhere with other work related issues. Not the best time to be applying decals to the backside of my bike I guess.

The decals are well cut; for the area that they are to be applied to on the back of the F6B. They do line up well against the black center rear fender areas. I will be ordering another set and re-apply them in the fall; when it's a little less humid and muggy out; and all da damned mosquito's are killed off...

Hornblower
08-31-2015, 08:55 AM
Ditto, Willtill--I also had a few small bubbles to work out and I thought I was being careful. Anyway, what I do in cases like this is to use a fine pointed needle and stick it in the center of a bubble to release the air. After a bit of pressing, you usually can't even see the hole. Works for me!

dumbpartsguy
08-31-2015, 09:03 AM
I wanted some extra visibility on mine, but didn't want to spend a bunch of $$$ trying to get it. I bought the reflective DOT conspicuity tape for Tractor Trailers and my wonderful wife cut them and applied them for me. May not be the look for some people, but I feel like she did a great job, and i now can be seen better.

willtill
08-31-2015, 09:22 AM
I wanted some extra visibility on mine, but didn't want to spend a bunch of $$$ trying to get it. I bought the reflective DOT conspicuity tape for Tractor Trailers and my wonderful wife cut them and applied them for me. May not be the look for some people, but I feel like she did a great job, and i now can be seen better.

I LIKE what you did with that DOT red tape; on the bottom outer rear areas of the bike :yes:

I've got some of the same reflective strips myself. When I installed my new Clearview windshield this last week; I used some of the red reflective and attached it to the plastic plate under the front upper fairing fascia. I know that red is a :nono: on the front of a vehicle :shhh: but this is sort of more of an "accent"... not sure of the visibility of it at night yet... but it looks :icon_cool:

With the headlights on at night... I don't think the red reflective will be that visible anyway; if you were looking at it dead on.... but then again... maybe not.

http://i59.tinypic.com/evc601.jpg

dumbpartsguy
08-31-2015, 09:37 AM
I LIKE what you did with that DOT red tape; on the bottom outer rear areas of the bike :yes:

I've got some of the same reflective strips myself. When I installed my new Clearview windshield this last week; I used some of the red reflective and attached it to the plastic plate under the front upper fairing fascia. I know that red is a :nono: on the front of a vehicle :shhh: but this is sort of more of an "accent"... not sure of the visibility of it at night yet... but it looks :icon_cool:

With the headlights on at night... I don't think the red reflective will be that visible anyway; if you were looking at it dead on.... but then again... maybe not.

that looks freakin' awesome :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: gives it the bike a look that matches its personality

Deano K
09-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Guys, if you end up ordering from me the default choice is black. If that's what you want I don't need any note, otherwise there is a spot in the paypal process where you can send a note to the seller OR you can contact me via ebay messaging. I've got red and black sets ready to go with yellow and white available upon request with no real lag time.

My notifications of thread replies and PMs still aren't working so it's not that I'm ignoring you, I'm just not checking daily.

Thanks for your support!

Deano K.16224

Ridlikhel
09-06-2015, 07:15 AM
Took this last night with a mag light. Think you see can see the advantage to having these reflectors installed.

So even if your bike is sitting in a parking lot, there is extra safety.

Well worth the money.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac32/Drivlikhel/DSCN0450_zpsisawq3jf.jpg (http://s883.photobucket.com/user/Drivlikhel/media/DSCN0450_zpsisawq3jf.jpg.html)

Airborne06
09-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Took this last night with a mag light. Think you see can see the advantage to having these reflectors installed.

Well worth the money.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac32/Drivlikhel/DSCN0450_zpsisawq3jf.jpg (http://s883.photobucket.com/user/Drivlikhel/media/DSCN0450_zpsisawq3jf.jpg.html)

Sitting in a parking lot at night (parked) is something I hadn't considered. Just might keep some knucklehead from backing into the bike.

Airborne06
09-06-2015, 01:22 PM
I had applied my decals and was going to take pictures. But I did not because I was sort of unhappy with a couple of air bubbles and creases (that I made) in the reflective film.

I had applied them on a day when it was hot and muggy out, mosquito's were biting me, I was in a foul mood and my mind was elsewhere with other work related issues. Not the best time to be applying decals to the backside of my bike I guess.

The decals are well cut; for the area that they are to be applied to on the back of the F6B. They do line up well against the black center rear fender areas. I will be ordering another set and re-apply them in the fall; when it's a little less humid and muggy out; and all da damned mosquito's are killed off...

I have a few bubbles in mine that I too am not happy with. I saw where someone said they used hot soapy water to apply the decals. Perhaps the soapy water allows the decal to slide around on the plastic bike without adhering. I guess when the water dries the adhesive backing still works to adhere the decals to the bike?? Regardless…I need a "do over" on my left panel.

willtill
09-06-2015, 06:45 PM
I have a few bubbles in mine that I too am not happy with. I saw where someone said they used hot soapy water to apply the decals. Perhaps the soapy water allows the decal to slide around on the plastic bike without adhering. I guess when the water dries the adhesive backing still works to adhere the decals to the bike?? Regardless…I need a "do over" on my left panel.

Deano K remarks that in his instruction sheet that he sends out with the decals; but it is not his recommendation... it is a suggestion that he has heard from others.

The soapy water method works with window decals... I would not use it with the 3M reflective panels. It is a different animal.

Airborne06
09-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Deano K remarks that in his instruction sheet that he sends out with the decals; but it is not his recommendation... it is a suggestion that he has heard from others.

The soapy water method works with window decals... I would not use it with the 3M reflective panels. It is a different animal.

I wouldn't think it would work either...but check out post # 38....guess it worked for DD. I may have to try it next time...

co425
09-07-2015, 04:57 AM
I've wet mounted many a 3m decal. On plastic saddlebags as well. Works just fine.

tinkerman
09-07-2015, 05:14 AM

Well worth the money.

Any chance of getting a pic of it in daylight.....although the reflective abilities of the product are most important I was also interested in what it looked like on the bike.....assuming being a 3M product it just fades into the background?

Airborne06
09-07-2015, 08:34 AM
I've wet mounted many a 3m decal. On plastic saddlebags as well. Works just fine.

Ordering another set then for another try.....

It sucks (and is expensive) to be so picky that a few bubbles bother the heck out of me!

willtill
09-07-2015, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't think it would work either...but check out post # 38....guess it worked for DD. I may have to try it next time...

I will have to try that method then. I wish I saw the decals on the back of Dickie's bike when I was at the Rally. I wasn't looking specifically for them (forgot).

DarkKnt
09-07-2015, 10:26 AM
I got a few pinhead size bubbles on the first one, and was determined to be more careful on the second.... Got more on it. I'm wondering if using a needle to burst the bubbles might allow the air to escape, yet be a small enough hole that it is unnoticable? Anybody want to try? I must admit, although they are barely noticable, they bug the hell out of me.

willtill
09-07-2015, 10:27 AM
Ordering another set then for another try.....

It sucks (and is expensive) to be so picky that a few bubbles bother the heck out of me!

Same here... but we want to to be PERFECT :icon_wink:

DarkKnt
09-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Sorry, I see that I missed Horn Blower's earlier post - heading out to the garage with a needle! Will, I think you're probably f@#cked with a wrinkle though...

DarkKnt
09-07-2015, 10:40 AM
I applied the stickers a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't really looked closely since, but when I just went down to try getting rid of the bubbles, there they were - gone! Almost all of them have disappeared. That makes me think the material is somewhat permiable and the air eventually escapes..

Airborne06
09-07-2015, 04:26 PM
I applied the stickers a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't really looked closely since, but when I just went down to try getting rid of the bubbles, there they were - gone! Almost all of them have disappeared. That makes me think the material is somewhat permiable and the air eventually escapes..

Just went to the garage and checked mine...the bubbles are still there. Ya had me going there for a minute! :icon_biggrin:

cueman
09-07-2015, 05:41 PM
Don't let Perfect spoil Good Enough. :icon_biggrin: cueman

seadog
09-07-2015, 06:10 PM

How did you get those in there so nicely? I think your right about the cars coming at you at night not being able to see them but if your bike was parked in a parking lot at night I am sure they would get someone attention when their car lights hit them alerting them to the fact your 6 was parked there, Safety first.

willtill
09-07-2015, 07:16 PM
How did you get those in there so nicely? I think your right about the cars coming at you at night not being able to see them but if your bike was parked in a parking lot at night I am sure they would get someone attention when their car lights hit them alerting them to the fact your 6 was parked there, Safety first.

If you remove the windshield garnish (front fairing piece below the windshield) ; you will see a piece of black plastic that is immediately behind those two front slots in the windshield garnish. All you have to do is clean is from road film (if any) and apply your favorite decals/reflectors to it. Then just reinstall the windshield garnish. :yes:

Steve 0080
09-13-2015, 09:00 PM
I looked but did not see any of these reflector panels at Franklin....:icon_frown:

Hornblower
09-14-2015, 08:38 AM
I looked but did not see any of these reflector panels at Franklin....:icon_frown:

They were there but not that obvious in the daytime. You didn't look at the back of my bike? At night, anyone behind can't miss them :yes:

Steve 0080
09-14-2015, 08:57 AM
True... maybe in Oct !

mtcgun
10-02-2015, 07:01 PM
I was playing with making the rear reflective panels today, I put a non-reflective layer of vinyl down first in a contrast color (i have the yellow stripes on the sides) and then inset the red reflective a little. If you've ever tried you remove reflective vinyl, you'll understand why the underlayment. I think I'm going to change it to matte black where the yellow is and come up with some design to cut in the red reflective part.. 16927

willtill
10-03-2015, 07:46 AM
That is a nice accent; with the yellow. :yes: Do you have yellow accents anywhere else on the bike?

Those red reflective decals really hide well in the paint... sans accent too.

mtcgun
10-03-2015, 10:21 AM
That is a nice accent; with the yellow. :yes: Do you have yellow accents anywhere else on the bike?

Those red reflective decals really hide well in the paint... sans accent too.
Yes, have yellow on the saddle bag sides also. I just put something under the reflective because it is a real b*$^& to take off otherwise. It like to come off in chunks instead of one piece like regular vinyl will. 34783479 or maybe I should make it yellow/black reflective and match the trunk lid.

mtcgun
10-03-2015, 11:10 AM
went with yellow with black reflective...

Steve 0080
10-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Looks good...can you post a pic with them "turned on" ?

mtcgun
10-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Looks good...can you post a pic with them "turned on" ?
While I was at it, i whipped out some yellow/red reflective for the license plate frame

willtill
03-27-2016, 04:17 PM
I finally got around to "re-applying" the 3M black reflective film... after eff'ing up the first attempt with misapplication of it. :icon_rolleyes:

I had ordered two sheets of this stuff off of the 'net shortly thereafter; and decided to get a template created and transfer to one of the two sheets that I had.

Very please with the effect. My hand still seems steady as well to re-create the template/shape required, it looks professional... :shhh:

I think I really "over-engineered the application of it last time... this time I simply placed it "lightly" at the interior point of the rear mudflap and carefully laid the rest of the reflective film onto the surface. Then carefully rubbed outwards to ensure no air bubbles were trapped under the film.

Below are two pictures of the effect (without and with flash):

http://i67.tinypic.com/zlp3qr.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/jawi20.jpg

Still have a lot of this reflective film left over... and thinking of doing the entire area of that plastic behind the plate... need to think about that though.... during a day when I'm bored out of my mind... which isn't very often these days... :icon_lol:

Very nicely done !!! :yes:

53driver
03-27-2016, 05:45 PM
That looks VERY sharp, sir.
Well done!

seadog
03-27-2016, 06:30 PM
I bought these reflective panels during the winter months with the idea of putting them on when the weather warmed up and put them away where I knew I would remember where I put them. Oh Boy they might be permanently lost, I can't find them for love nor money.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

pilotguy299
03-29-2016, 07:09 PM
I finally got around to "re-applying" the 3M black reflective film... after eff'ing up the first attempt with misapplication of it. :icon_rolleyes:

I had ordered two sheets of this stuff off of the 'net shortly thereafter; and decided to get a template created and transfer to one of the two sheets that I had.

Very please with the effect. My hand still seems steady as well to re-create the template/shape required, it looks professional... :shhh:

I think I really "over-engineered the application of it last time... this time I simply placed it "lightly" at the interior point of the rear mudflap and carefully laid the rest of the reflective film onto the surface. Then carefully rubbed outwards to ensure no air bubbles were trapped under the film.

Below are two pictures of the effect (without and with flash):

http://i67.tinypic.com/zlp3qr.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/jawi20.jpg

Still have a lot of this reflective film left over... and thinking of doing the entire area of that plastic behind the plate... need to think about that though.... during a day when I'm bored out of my mind... which isn't very often these days... :icon_lol:

That looks great. I may try to do the same thing, but only on the black plastic on mine.

ShanghaiDan
03-29-2016, 10:45 PM
I bought these reflective panels during the winter months with the idea of putting them on when the weather warmed up and put them away where I knew I would remember where I put them. Oh Boy they might be permanently lost, I can't find them for love nor money.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Easy way to find them: buy a new pair, the old ones will show up about 5 minutes after you receive the new ones!

willtill
03-30-2016, 05:42 AM
That looks great. I may try to do the same thing, but only on the black plastic on mine.

3M makes different flavors (colors) of this reflective sheeting. You could try a white or silver possibly... to get it to blend in better with the white painted areas of the read saddlebags.

seadog
03-30-2016, 10:49 AM
Easy way to find them: buy a new pair, the old ones will show up about 5 minutes after you receive the new ones!
:lolup:
That scenario never fails, your lost stuff always shows up right after you spend the money to replace what you lost.

mtcgun
03-31-2016, 01:25 PM
I switched back to red reflective on red.. Its virtually invisible until hit with light. 19875

terryboyle
09-09-2016, 08:47 PM
Has anyone made templates that they could share?'riding'