PDA

View Full Version : difference between 960 and new rectangular fog kit?

RickJ
08-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Value accessories has a new "rectangular fog light kit" currently on back order, there is also the 960, that many here seem to have. Looking at pictures (actually a video someone here posted...I think) the 2 seem similar, the bracket on the new(?) one seems better made. I want something primarily for daytime visibility, as I don't ride much at night.

willtill
08-09-2015, 07:45 AM
Not sure of the difference, hope that the one that I ordered (and am waiting for - on backorder) is the best though.... :bowdown:

RickJ
08-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Not sure of the difference, hope that the one that I ordered (and am waiting for - on backorder) is the best though.... :bowdown:

Hi Will- I didn't want to hijack YOUR thread (modulator)- but it made me wonder. They both look like they fit well, The one you ordered is the one I thought looked a little better made and is a "newer" light. As long as you're here-have you ordered HID headlights? some guys here have them too but I can't find any links to vendors- I'm wondering if it's just a bulb switch or the whole enchilada big bucks...I can't find them at either sponsored (sponsoring vendor?) vendor (value accessories or wingstuff)

willtill
08-09-2015, 08:26 AM
Hi Will- I didn't want to hijack YOUR thread (modulator)- but it made me wonder. They both look like they fit well, The one you ordered is the one I thought looked a little better made and is a "newer" light. As long as you're here-have you ordered HID headlights? some guys here have them too but I can't find any links to vendors- I'm wondering if it's just a bulb switch or the whole enchilada big bucks...

No, have not ordered HID lights... I think the fog lights will be adequate for additional auxiliary front end lighting. And they'll fill in those two forward panels as well... should have lights installed in those as OEM anyway... but we know how manufacturers like to leave "holes" in the bikes for us to throw additional money into; after the sale :icon_lol:

Steve 0080
08-09-2015, 02:31 PM
If you are after being seen in the daytime...the 960's are they way to go...period!

For both day and night, the "new" lights do a great job of lighting the edges of the road and directly in front of the MC... there is usually a dead spot just in front of the bike before the headlights start lighting up the road.

Depends what your after...there was a set of 960's for sale here by a member ????? Looked could not find it...

RickJ
08-09-2015, 02:35 PM
If you are after being seen in the daytime...the 960's are they way to go...period!

For both day and night, the "new" lights do a great job of lighting the edges of the road and directly in front of the MC... there is usually a dead spot just in front of the bike before the headlights start lighting up the road.

Build quality equal?
are the 960's adjustable?
I assume the 960's also do SOMETHING good at night?

ALSO- wasn't there a recent post about a horseshoe shaped cowl/amber directional combination?? Have you seen anymore about that?

Steve 0080
08-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Quality is comparable...

The 960's blow a hole in the darkness of night...http://www.bikemp3.com/2012-GL1800-Lower-Cowl-960-Lights-HGW-LGT-12C.htm

SoCal has a new light out with a LED turn signal also...very nice !!!!! I will sell my rectangular ones when these are available...to a lucky someone...http://www.socalmotogear.com/GL1800-F6B-VALKYRIE-Rectangular-LED-Fog-Lights-p/gl18rfl.htm

The ones I have now came from Show Chrome our vendor sells them...http://store.valueaccessories.net/LEDRectangularLowerFogLightKitGL1800GoldWing12.asp x

Thats it...no more work for me today !!!!

Hornblower
08-09-2015, 04:10 PM
Build quality equal?
are the 960's adjustable?
I assume the 960's also do SOMETHING good at night?

ALSO- wasn't there a recent post about a horseshoe shaped cowl/amber directional combination?? Have you seen anymore about that?

Just for light output, it's going to be hard to beat the 960's. What you have there are four 10-watt LED bulbs. That's 40 watts of LED power and they do throw out some serious light. There is no adjustment though unless you want to try bending the mounting brackets. The beam spread is fairly wide so that reduces the need for aiming. I would put the build quality at so-so but mine are still working after about 18K miles and they're on all the time so I can't complain. I should mention this is my second set however since my first set allowed moisture inside and the vendor replaced those. Since then, I have had no further problems.

RickJ
08-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Those socal lights look nice. I'd have to get used to the segmentation but they could be the ticket...especially with the directional as part of the package.