PDA

View Full Version : Driving style of darksiders?

DavidNC
08-11-2015, 08:18 PM
What is the typical driving style of a darksider? Curvy roads vs flatlands? I can see the CT advantage of carrying more weight along with run flat technology, but do the sides wear out, or give issues, when doing a lot of leaning?

Pap
08-11-2015, 09:34 PM
CT tires wear according to your own driving style.
If you ride a lot of twisties, the sides wear down more. If you ride the super slab, the center wears more. All-in-all though, you get multiple lifetimes over a motorcycle tire no matter how you ride.
I ride a mixture of both. My last CT on my 109 had 25,000 + miles on it and it still had another season worth of tread on it.
Just as a comparison, that bike tire gave me 4400 miles and threads were showing.
I've had no issues with the CT.

Maybe others can add more feedback.

BuzzzPhotos
08-11-2015, 09:49 PM
I have under 10,000 on mine & I can't tell it is worn any yet. I'm in Texas & drive a lot of flat roads. Sure love the knowledge it has the extra protection. I have the Michelin.

bob109
08-11-2015, 10:07 PM
What is the typical driving style of a darksider? Curvy roads vs flatlands? I can see the CT advantage of carrying more weight along with run flat technology, but do the sides wear out, or give issues, when doing a lot of leaning?

What ever gives you the impression Dark Siders have a different riding style because of a CT???? If you were following a Dark Sider and you were unaware he had a CT on, there's a possibility here would corner as good or better than you! If your were doing the same in a heavy down pour the CT rider would, in all likelihood, walk away from you:icon_lol:

I'm attaching a pic of a General G-Max (non-run flat) I removed after 30,300 miles of wear. The tire was subjected to the curvy secondary roads of NE Pa. for six months per year, with the remaining riding on the numerous road surfaces of North Central Florida. From silky smooth macadam, tar and chip, and concrete super slabs the tire knows no surface boundaries. Handling was "surefooted" without exception. Thread/tread wear across the tire face was even with some light "scalloping" on the outer edge. There is not a sign of any "side wall wear" which is a myth of "naysayers".

Pictures paint a thousand words:icon_wink:

BIGLRY
08-11-2015, 10:49 PM
What ever gives you the impression Dark Siders have a different riding style because of a CT???? If you were following a Dark Sider and you were unaware he had a CT on, there's a possibility here would corner as good or better than you! If your were doing the same in a heavy down pour the CT rider would, in all likelihood, walk away from you:icon_lol:

I'm attaching a pic of a General G-Max (non-run flat) I removed after 30,300 miles of wear. The tire was subjected to the curvy secondary roads of NE Pa. for six months per year, with the remaining riding on the numerous road surfaces of North Central Florida. From silky smooth macadam, tar and chip, and concrete super slabs the tire knows no surface boundaries. Handling was "surefooted" without exception. Thread/tread wear across the tire face was even with some light "scalloping" on the outer edge. There is not a sign of any "side wall wear" which is a myth of "naysayers".

Pictures paint a thousand words:icon_wink:

1566215663156641566515666How true my friend! :icon_biggrin:

Steve 0080
08-11-2015, 11:30 PM
I, myself cannot find a fault with the D/S...rain, or twistys or flat...no issues !!!

12K and the Alpine still looks new !!!

shooter
08-12-2015, 06:39 AM
I live in MO and I get a kick out if these guys saying they rode some twisties. I guess I need to report when I ever find some straighties. Around here its up , down , left and right. I ride aggressively even two up. The Michelin will carve a corner and even riding double I will drag the pegs. I can't tell the CT is back there. Only have about 1500 miles on it but wear looks even.

stevenolts
08-12-2015, 07:30 AM
Shooter,
I have about 9000 miles on the original tires and so far and they still look almost new. I also live in MO and ride the twisties and everywhere I go fairly hard. I have ridden about 2000 of those miles to Florida and back a few times. I also ride 90 miles a day on the highway back and forth to work. So I do quite a bit of highway riding, but I do not want to give up the handling rain or shine.

How many miles can I expect to get out of the original motorcycle tires?

If I would switch to the darkside (I assume you mean to buy a car tire?)
How many miles can I expect to get on a car tire?
Which tire do you use?
Would I be giving up handling and be taking extra risks just to save money?

I appreciate your opinion.
Steve

wjduke
08-12-2015, 07:36 AM
I would like to ask this with the F6B....do you have to nudge it a little when cornering to get it to lean? I rode behind an M109'er with a CT and I saw with my own eyes how he had to give it extra effort. It didn't just roll over. Now, I'm not trying to start anything, just reporting what I saw while on many long rides with this guy. The 6 could have a different size, or sizes that work well.

Steve 0080
08-12-2015, 08:33 AM
Shooter,
I have about 9000 miles on the original tires and so far and they still look almost new. I also live in MO and ride the twisties and everywhere I go fairly hard. I have ridden about 2000 of those miles to Florida and back a few times. I also ride 90 miles a day on the highway back and forth to work. So I do quite a bit of highway riding, but I do not want to give up the handling rain or shine.

How many miles can I expect to get out of the original motorcycle tires?

If I would switch to the darkside (I assume you mean to buy a car tire?)
How many miles can I expect to get on a car tire?
Which tire do you use?
Would I be giving up handling and be taking extra risks just to save money?

I appreciate your opinion.
Steve

There is no difference in handling! CT maybe better, much better grip, much better in the rain...no down side!!!
30-40 K miles
Mich alpine
You save money !!! 4 MC tires compared tone CT

I would like to ask this with the F6B....do you have to nudge it a little when cornering to get it to lean? I rode behind an M109'er with a CT and I saw with my own eyes how he had to give it extra effort. It didn't just roll over. Now, I'm not trying to start anything, just reporting what I saw while on many long rides with this guy. The 6 could have a different size, or sizes that work well.

I will have my bike in Franklin, anyone can ride it...if someone did not tell you there was a CT on the back...you would not know !!! The 109 and the F6 are two completely different bikes !!!

DavidNC
08-12-2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks.

I am planning to go with a CT on the rear later this year. Doing homework now. Plenty of negative commentaries in the MC community, so experience counts to me.

My one friend used to ride CT's but stopped when his blew out after riding the mountains. My other buddy only runs CT's on the rear. Both over load their Goldwings and pull trailers. I do neither, at least at this time.

I did follow a buddy's Valkayre running a car tire. Looked like a large flat patch area that moved little as he leaned. We rode light curves and I could tell it was not a MT..

wjduke
08-12-2015, 09:26 AM
I will have my bike in Franklin, anyone can ride it...if someone did not tell you there was a CT on the back...you would not know !!! The 109 and the F6 are two completely different bikes !!![/QUOTE]

Ok, I thought that could be the case....thanks for the info.

wiggy
08-12-2015, 10:42 AM
Thanks.

I am planning to go with a CT on the rear later this year. Doing homework now. Plenty of negative commentaries in the MC community, so experience counts to me...

Usually, the only negatives in the MC community come from those who've never tried it..

Richie
08-12-2015, 11:12 AM
With ct do you need to change air pressure when going from one up to riding with a passenger?

Do you change pressure when changing riding style?

It would seem to be a pain if changing pressure was needed.

Richie

ths61
08-12-2015, 02:06 PM
FWIW, here are a couple of online magazine articles pertaining to "The Dark Side".

They state various insurance issues (both personal motorcycle insurance and manufacturer/dealer related insurance coverage). The latter may explain why some dealers will not install 3rd party tires (MT or CT).

One article mentions decreased contact patch in the lean from a donated video. It appears their comment is comparing the contact patch of a CT straight up versus a CT leaned over and not that of a (CT straight up and MT straight up) or a (CT leaned over and a MT leaned over) which would be a more appropriate comparison.

tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles (http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-by-type/tires/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles.htm/)

trafficsafe-investigates-riding-on-the-dark-side (http://trafficsafe.org/index.php/trafficsafe-investigates-riding-on-the-dark-side-1683/)

I have not gone over to the dark side yet and am still in the education phase.

shooter
08-12-2015, 02:59 PM

Duke on the B I can nod my head and go around a corner. Even with a MC tire on the 9 you have to work at the corners. If you ever ride a B you will see what I mean. Its more like a sport bike with bags.

bob109
08-12-2015, 03:01 PM
For a comparison of "Contact Patches"! What you didn't know and now know:039:

A CT's air pressure and sidewall construction i.e. 1ply, 2 ply etc. would have a direct correlation as to the size/shape of the contact patch. This is why there's a difference in handling between a run flat and non-run flat CT tire. The run flats require a lower "sweet spot" air pressure than that of a non-run flat i.e. 32/34 versus 40/44 or higher:icon_wink:

wjduke
08-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Duke on the B I can nod my head and go around a corner. Even with a MC tire on the 9 you have to work at the corners. If you ever ride a B you will see what I mean. Its more like a sport bike with bags.

I figure that shooter, not trying it on a 6, or at all for that matter...just something inside talks to me.

ths61
08-12-2015, 04:05 PM
CT is hell on a camera lens !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvACbZKcqM8

Usually the camera is in front of the rear tire.

Deer Slayer
08-12-2015, 04:34 PM

Driving style? Maybe riding style. Triple Darkside, mountain roads favorite.:cheers:

Pap
08-12-2015, 04:48 PM
Driving style? Maybe riding style. Triple Darkside, mountain roads favorite.:cheers:

Hey, no fair!!! Lol !!

wjduke
08-12-2015, 08:56 PM

This is the most convincing video I've seen to get me to think about it. The CT on the M109 was flat across, nothing like this Michelin.

Steve 0080
08-13-2015, 12:04 AM
The simple fact is.....until YOU ride a bike with a CT on the rear....the rest is just someone else's opinion .........

valkmc
08-15-2015, 07:22 AM
The simple fact is.....until YOU ride a bike with a CT on the rear....the rest is just someone else's opinion .........

+1

Owned my Valk for 12 years went darkside in year 8! I now forget why I waited. I should have done it from the start like I have on both my Wing and 6! The only way to know is to try it. It's not hard to switch back!

RickJ
08-15-2015, 07:45 AM

WOW, whoever was hanging over the rear of the bike taking that video had some set of huevos!

Re patch size...I wouldnt have believed how large it was on corners if I hadnt seen it! Thank the passenger for me...:icon_wink:

Arkf6bRider
09-14-2015, 08:28 PM
Just installed my new mich alpin on the rear. Eased
Her down on the right side, took the old off put the new on. Took about 30 minutes from start to finish. Only had 30 minutes of sunlte but took her for a short ride. No learning curve at all. Thanks for a lot of good info. This forum is what helped me to decide on a ct....looking forward to not having to change tires so often.

Steve 0080
09-14-2015, 11:11 PM
I get a kick out of people who complain or have an opinion about something they have never done......

blackmetoc
09-15-2015, 05:33 AM
There is no difference in handling! CT maybe better, much better grip, much better in the rain...no down side!!!
30-40 K miles
Mich alpine
You save money !!! 4 MC tires compared tone CT

I will have my bike in Franklin, anyone can ride it...if someone did not tell you there was a CT on the back...you would not know !!! The 109 and the F6 are two completely different bikes !!!

Steve, you have the Alpines on both front and back, correct?

shooter
09-15-2015, 06:43 AM
I can answer that question and I've never seen his bike. NO. Alpin on the rear only.

Steve 0080
09-15-2015, 09:15 AM
I can answer that question and I've never seen his bike. NO. Alpin on the rear only.

+1...running stock tire on front!

Stevvvo
02-04-2016, 06:45 PM
I find this whole idea intriguing as hell. My only concern is the rim bead being different between a car and mc. Other than that, I may give it a try when my OEM tire shits the bed. Can anyone elaborate or is it simply a ploy to hinder people from going this route.

Retired Army
02-04-2016, 07:10 PM

I liked the car tire so much I added another one.

Monk
02-04-2016, 08:40 PM
I find this whole idea intriguing as hell. My only concern is the rim bead being different between a car and mc. Other than that, I may give it a try when my OEM tire shits the bed. Can anyone elaborate or is it simply a ploy to hinder people from going this route.

I saw a picture somewhere ... probably on another forum with a cut out section to show the difference in the rim bead for a motorcycle tire and a car tire. By visual inspection, I could not tell a difference.

Several years ago when I first started this darkside stuff, the bead was one of my many concerns. I ask the guy that installed the tire for me about the possibility of it coming off the rim. He told me, and I quote, "I have a hell of a time getting that tire off on purpose, there is no way it is coming off by accident" That was good enough for me!! :yes:

willtill
02-04-2016, 08:59 PM
I saw a picture somewhere ... probably on another forum with a cut out section to show the difference in the rim bead for a motorcycle tire and a car tire. By visual inspection, I could not tell a difference.

Several years ago when I first started this darkside stuff, the bead was one of my many concerns. I ask the guy that installed the tire for me about the possibility of it coming off the rim. He told me, and I quote, "I have a hell of a time getting that tire off on purpose, there is no way it is coming off by accident" That was good enough for me!! :yes:

We had a thread a couple of months ago discussing the very aspect of a car bead -vs- M\C bead on a wheel. Very informative.

MisterB
02-05-2016, 12:01 AM
I haven't gone darkside on the B yet, but rode my ST1300 double dark (DD) for a while so this is based on that bike.

What is the typical driving style of a darksider? At or a little over the speed limit, cautious, even when I get a little wild it's nothing compared to what I see on the roads by other riders.

Curvy roads vs flatlands? Both

I can see the CT advantage of carrying more weight along with run flat technology, but do the sides wear out, or give issues, when doing a lot of leaning?
I didn't get a chance to see any wear as I only put a couple thousand on them and they still looked new when I sold it. The guy who bought it rode back to California on it and said they're still going strong. He's planning a coast-to-coast and will not need to change the tires before, during, or after his trip. Will easily get 20k. I, on the other hand, bought my B September 28 and have put a little over 3000 on and am wondering where the rear tire is going!
On the ST it took a little riding to get used to how it tracks the road. Lots of crowned blacktop roads around here and, (I don't know the terminology for it) it sort of follows imperfections in the road if you let it.
To me the B handles like a dream, I was amazed on my 300 mile ride home from the dealer at how nimble it is. When I went DD on the ST it lost some of it's nimbleness, which was sad at first, but you get used to it. Maybe not even nimbleness as much as eagerness to initiate a turn. **I do not know if that will be the case with the F6B.**
I'm planning a 3000+ mile trip in the near future and am worried I won't have enough tire for it unless I limit my spring riding. May have to go DD sooner than later.

Related but OT: I've seen many people make the argument that if you can't afford to put new tires on every 8000 miles then you can't afford to ride a motorcycle. This is an argument that seems based less on logic than the temperament that comes from hours of looking in the mirror making Zoolander faces and reciting "you're a winner!". It's more than money, it's a PITA and it's certainly not good for the environment. Wait.....that's it!! Greenside!! By using fewer tires we are polluting less! We are defenders of Mother Earth!!! MC tire users are just monsters!

Stevvvo
02-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Yeah....I found that long article in another thread here....very informative. I'm def gonna at least try the darkside since Vader and myself are close friends.