PDA

View Full Version : Front End Rattle

Johnhowley
08-14-2015, 12:01 PM
I have a 2013 F6B. I seem to have a rattle in the front of the bike. I had the dealership check the front steering stem bearings tightened front wheel, brakes, anti-dive, etc but the noise is still there! It's most pronounced when I hit a bump or when I slam on the brakes. It sounds like something plastic is loose in the front nose or steering under the dash..... I have looked around and could not find anything.
Any ideas?

okiedoc
08-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Mine rattles like that every big bump I hit, they say it is the front suspension.

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 12:53 PM
Front springs are causing it.
I installed the anti dive disconnect shim.
It does not totally eliminate it,but in my case it helps about 80% of the time.
Don't ask me how or why.

http://wingstuff.com/products/32921-anti-dive-fork-valve-shim-w-screws

Doug

bob109
08-14-2015, 01:14 PM
I have a 2013 F6B. I seem to have a rattle in the front of the bike. I had the dealership check the front steering stem bearings tightened front wheel, brakes, anti-dive, etc but the noise is still there! It's most pronounced when I hit a bump or when I slam on the brakes. It sounds like something plastic is loose in the front nose or steering under the dash..... I have looked around and could not find anything.
Any ideas?

The rattle is caused by the lower plastic fork tube cover (removed when installing a fork brace) contacting the plastic caliper cover. You can cure the rattle by inserting a thin piece of black rubber between the two hitting surfaces. Attached is a few pics for clarity! In the first pic you can see the chafe mark from the edges contacting!

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 01:31 PM
My rattle has nothing to do with the plastic.
It is the springs in the forks without question.
I can feel it in the handlebars when I hit a bump large enough to hear the rattle.

Doug

Johnhowley
08-14-2015, 02:54 PM
My rattle has nothing to do with the plastic.
It is the springs in the forks without question.
I can feel it in the handlebars when I hit a bump large enough to hear the rattle.

Doug

Doug, how did you determine it was the springs without question? I can sometimes feel it in the handlebars, although I'm hearing the sound at the same time and it's difficult to know exactly where the sound is coming from. Where able to correct the issue?

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 03:11 PM
I came to that conclusion because I road and/or raced quads for years and have heard coil over shock springs rattle.
The sound I hear is comparable to that sound.
Almost exact.
Plastic on plastic does not sound anything like metal on metal of which is what I heard on mine.
Also I never did anything to any part of the front end except add the shim.
As I mentioned that one change decreased the rattling by at least 80%.
I also could be wrong.
That has happened a few times before.:icon_lol:
I don't believe I am.

Doug

bob109
08-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Easy enough too try out! Simply remove the plastic tube cover and ride your bike for several days visiting those roads which caused the rattle. If the rattle is gone you have a easy fix:icon_wink:

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 03:53 PM
Easy enough too try out! Simply remove the plastic tube cover and ride your bike for several days visiting those roads which caused the rattle. If the rattle is gone you have a easy fix:icon_wink:

That is a good point Bob.
I am not saying you are wrong.
I just know mine is metal to metal sound when it happens.
I have heard other guys say they heard a rattle over bumps and it was loose fenders in the front.

Doug

Johnhowley
08-14-2015, 04:17 PM
That is a good point Bob.
I am not saying you are wrong.
I just know mine is metal to metal sound when it happens.
I have heard other guys say they heard a rattle over bumps and it was loose fenders in the front.

Doug

Thank you everyone for the recommendations, I did put a cushion between the fender and tube cover, but it didn't seem to help. I will try removing both fender and tube cover all together to see if that helps. The sound seems to be coming from a higher location under where the key goes in or under the instrumentation panel. Sound is a funny thing, is hard to always determine where it's coming from.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated!!!

Thanks again!!

Johnhowley
08-14-2015, 04:19 PM
Thank you everyone for the recommendations, I did put a cushion between the fender and tube cover, but it didn't seem to help. I will try removing both fender and tube cover all together to see if that helps. The sound seems to be coming from a higher location under where the key goes in or under the instrumentation panel. Sound is a funny thing, is hard to always determine where it's coming from.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated!!!

Thanks again!!

Also, does anyone know if running the bike without the instrumentation panel will hurt the electronics??

Johnhowley
08-14-2015, 04:24 PM
Also, does anyone know if running the bike without the instrumentation panel will hurt the electronics??

Another technical question if the Anti-Dive cylinder is activated by the brake fluid during a hard brake ( I'm only assume it is) and I'm getting the noise while not touching the break Could this be causing the noise?

Sorcerer
08-14-2015, 05:17 PM
What's in your left cubby, center dash storage.

Pap
08-14-2015, 05:32 PM
I recently changed my front tire. While removing the black side cover on the fender section I discovered the top tab of the rear fender was broken off with the fender and steel clip still on the black cover.
I didn't hear any rattle, but I'm old and have "selective" hearing as the wife says.
Waiting to find out if Honda will cover this, but that's another thread possibility. Good luck with your fix.

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 06:27 PM
I am going to try Bobs idea.
Now he has got me thinking.

Damn

Doug

Steve 0080
08-14-2015, 06:50 PM

No issue ....

Johnhowley
08-14-2015, 06:50 PM

Damn

Doug

I emptied all storage, center and side.
It was the first thing I did. But a good thought!!

bob109
08-14-2015, 06:54 PM

Damn

Doug

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! The old fart philosophy.......KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid:shhh:

Additionally there are more than enough wire connectors under the dash that one could be hitting something. When I changed my air filter and had the dash and surrounding panels off, the wiring, in general, was secured with clips and wire ties. Just another area to check if you're into the adventure of removing the dash:shock:

Johnhowley
08-14-2015, 07:24 PM
No issue ....

Steve, just to confirm, you've tried running the F6B with the instrumentation cluster electricity disconnected and removed?

jm21ddd15
08-14-2015, 08:05 PM

I removed mine when I installed the front fork brace. Still have the rattle noise over hard bumps. But on the bright side, the bike handles much better with the fork brace. I just try to use the better part of my "lane", to avoid as many hard bumps as possible. I think its the springs, but can't be sure.

hgslayr
08-14-2015, 08:15 PM
I have the thump noise too on small bumps....dont notice it at hiway speeds...

bob109
08-14-2015, 08:16 PM
I removed mine when I installed the front fork brace. Still have the rattle noise over hard bumps. But on the bright side, the bike handles much better with the fork brace. I just try to use the better part of my "lane", to avoid as many hard bumps as possible. I think its the springs, but can't be sure.

Please identify your fork brace! What Brand and how much! I'm thinking of installing one and all info is appreciated:039:

jm21ddd15
08-14-2015, 08:27 PM
Please identify your fork brace! What Brand and how much! I'm thinking of installing one and all info is appreciated:039:

Kuryakin fork brace. Easy install too. I got it from "Stoguy". Not sure what the actual retail is. There are others on the market. Check with the Forums sponsoring accessory dealers. http://hondaf6b.com/images/smilies/biggthumpup.gif

hgslayr
08-14-2015, 08:30 PM
I got the kury powdercoated black one...Looks nice and tightens up the steering commands...

jm21ddd15
08-14-2015, 08:39 PM
I got the kury powdercoated black one...Looks nice and tightens up the steering commands...
Didn't notice much change on these flat straight roads close by, but definitely was noticeable when I got on some good curves!:icon_biggrin:

SoCal Rich
08-14-2015, 10:34 PM
I always thought the rattle might be coming from the radiator.

Phantom
08-14-2015, 10:46 PM
:shrug:

You may want to check if your headlight fluid is low, if so ... add fluid and headlights won't rattle anymore 'motorcycle-rider4;.... :shock: ..... :icon_mrgreen:

on a serious note .... i'm curious to hear what is causing this. I have never experienced this rattle.

Johnhowley
08-16-2015, 07:24 AM
:shrug:

You may want to check if your headlight fluid is low, if so ... add fluid and headlights won't rattle anymore 'motorcycle-rider4;.... :shock: ..... :icon_mrgreen:

on a serious note .... i'm curious to hear what is causing this. I have never experienced this rattle.

Ok, to date I have done the following:
Removed:
Front fender
Shock tube cover
Windshield
Dash/speaker cover
Instrumentation cluster
Top Plastic shock cover

Drove it and still it rattles.......this is driving me crazy!!!!!!

flat6bagger
08-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Like I said.
Springs.

Doug

okiedoc
08-16-2015, 08:05 AM
There was a thread on here earlier, one member said he replaced his stock suspension with the Traxxion system and it did away with his front end rattle.

dickiedeals
08-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Turn the radio up...Rattle stopped..........................Dickie

unsub
08-16-2015, 12:01 PM
What's in your left cubby, center dash storage.

Not much really. Just some loose change, a few nuts and bolts and my travel maracas.:icon_mrgreen:

opas ride
08-16-2015, 12:12 PM
Mine rattles like that every big bump I hit, they say it is the front suspension.

I get a rattle noise on occasion also when I hit a big bump or pothole...The front suspension on the F6B needs a serious upgrade in my opinion, otherwise it is a great bike....Test rode a Victory XC/XR and a couple of Indians last week and they all had better front suspension feel to me......Just saying!!