PDA

View Full Version : OEM seat cover?

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 12:30 PM
Have any of you taken the OEM seat cover off?
Is it glued to the foam?
I am going to do a test project with an OEM seat and need to know the answers to the questions above.
If it is easily removable then I will be looking for an OEM seat to use as a donor.

Doug

Greg O
08-14-2015, 12:48 PM
I want one of those Black Sheepskin covers for my seat, anybody no where I can get one.

F6B1911
08-14-2015, 01:14 PM
I want one of those Black Sheepskin covers for my seat, anybody no where I can get one.

I was at Costco on Monday, they had a huge stack of full size sheepskins, assorted colors, $99.00.

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 01:26 PM
Ah.. hello.. that is not what I am talking about.
I am talking about the actual seat cover that you butt sits on that is attached to the OEM seat.
You know like if your seat you can replace it.:banghead:

Doug

Bowhunter1800
08-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Hey Doug. How bout a deerskin? Sorry. I just had to irritate you a little more!!

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 01:54 PM
Hey Doug. How bout a deerskin? Sorry. I just had to irritate you a little more!!

If that is deer skin that they use on OEM seats,then that is what I am talking about.
I was thinking it is made out of the damn near extinct Nauga hide.:icon_lol:

Doug

Steve 0080
08-14-2015, 02:11 PM
The stock seat cover is not glued down ...at least on mine!

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 02:13 PM
The stock seat cover is not glued down ...at least on mine!

Finally someone understood.
Thank you Steve.
Now I need to find an OEM seat that is in great shape that someone wants to part with.:icon_biggrin:

Doug

Greg O
08-14-2015, 04:27 PM
Hey Doug what about alligator, the nubs would give your butt a massage while you ride.

F6B1911
08-14-2015, 06:38 PM
Ah.. hello.. that is not what I am talking about.
I am talking about the actual seat cover that you butt sits on that is attached to the OEM seat.

Took my seat off, layed the sheepskin over the seat, put a small piece of tape at the front underneath, then hooked up a few stretch straps across the bottom.
It was a bit tough putting the seat bolts back on, took a while.

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 07:44 PM
Hey Doug what about alligator, the nubs would give your butt a massage while you ride.

I have the Bead Rider seat cushion for that.

Ok looks like the only person that understands what cover I am talking about is Steve.
Here is as simple as I can make it.
You know when you bought your F6B it had a seat on it?
The black smooth cover that is on top of the foam that is on top of the pan of the seat.
That one!:banghead::banghead:
My God.
I took my 3 1/2 year old grandson out to the bike and asked him "can you show Papa where the cover to the seat is?"
He touched the top of the seat and said,"The smooth part Papa?"
Even he understood.
You guys are killing me.:icon_biggrin:

Doug

No Handle Sam
08-14-2015, 07:53 PM
It's not glued down. It's stretched over the foam and then stapled around the under side of perimeter of the seat pan.

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 07:57 PM
It's not glued down. It's stretched over the foam and then stapled around the under side of perimeter of the seat pan.

Thank you very much..notworthy.
I have to get a donor seat now and then go see my upholstery buddy.

Doug

bob109
08-14-2015, 08:00 PM
I have the Bead Rider seat cushion for that.

Ok looks like the only person that understands what cover I am talking about is Steve.
Here is as simple as I can make it.
You know when you bought your F6B it had a seat on it?
The black smooth cover that is on top of the foam that is on top of the pan of the seat.
That one!:banghead::banghead:
My God.
I took my 3 1/2 year old grandson out to the bike and asked him "can you show Papa where the cover to the seat is?"
He touched the top of the seat and said,"The smooth part Papa?"
Even he understood.
You guys are killing me.:icon_biggrin:

Doug

The attached pics show a clear plastic wrap under the seat material which separates it from the foam. Haven't had my seat cover off the 6! If Honda follows suit my 2002 VTX seat was manufactured the same way....foam, clear plastic covering, final seat cover material. The clear plastic is to keep the cover and seat foam from chaffing against each other:shhh:

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 08:08 PM
The attached pics show a clear plastic wrap under the seat material which separates it from the foam. Haven't had my seat cover off the 6! If Honda follows suit my 2002 VTX seat was manufactured the same way....foam, clear plastic covering, final seat cover material. The clear plastic is to keep the cover and seat foam from chaffing against each other:shhh:

Now we're getting somewhere.
Thanks for the pictures and explanation Bob.
I had seen the staples on my seat,but wasn't sure if the cover was glued to the foam.
Funny,but I never noticed the plastic sheeting.
I must be loosing it.:icon_lol:
My Yamaha V Star 1300 was glued,so I wasn't sure if Honda does the same thing.

Doug

Greg O
08-14-2015, 08:45 PM
Were messing with you Doug. What are trying to do, reshape the seat.

naga viper
08-17-2015, 08:11 AM

Without the clear plastic cover, the foam will get wet and subsequently so will your backside.
I don't believe any aftermarket seats use any type of protection to foam.